The One Year Mother-Daughter Devo
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$12.78 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Paperback
I was excited when I saw this 1-year devotional to share with my daughter. It is definitely for a tween girl and her mom; however some of the content may be too juvenile for a girl who is 10-12 years old. While other content seemed too mature for an 8-9 year old depending on their life experience. For example, on August 21st, the devotion is about beauty and how pictures in magazines are airbrushed and enhanced. I do not have fashion magazines in my house or allow my daughter to look at such publications. So this day, I would probably skip the devotion. On another day (February 16), the lesson is on how God will take care of us like a cat who had kittens. The last line says, "Little lamb, don't be afraid. He's carrying you close to his heart."

So I guess it is hit or miss if this devotional is good for you and your daughter. I am just glad that there is something like this for mothers and daughters to share.

The book provides a 1 page devotion for each day of the year. This makes it non-threatening as my daughter and I can pick it up and read a day but not be lost if we miss a day or two. Life gets busy and we do not need more things on our to-do list. Instead, this devotion encourages us to be, not do, more.

To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Tyndale has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Although I want to relate with my preteen daughter, I also would like her to learn to communicate with others like a mature adult. When this book refers to people in the Bible as "dudes," and uses other unnecessary slang terms, I feel as if it is dumbing down devotion time a little too much for me. I think I will keep looking for a girls devotional that does not try quite so hard to be "hip."
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
Dannah Gresh's writing ministry serves teenagers, and girls who are striving to stay pure and to live in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. Her heart for purity, character, and discipleship in young girls comes through in The One Year Mother Daughter Devo. Equipping mothers with this devotional, Gresh has provided an open-and-go devotional resource that mothers and tweens (9-12) can read together.

With enough devotionals for one each day, moms and daughters can simply open to the current date (devotionals can be somewhat seasonal), open scripture together, read the focus verse, and the devotional itself which ranges anywhere form object lessons, character sketches, theological explorations, animal antics, and more. For extra fun (and bonding) mother daughter teams can do the activities and discussion activities in the sidebar. There are crafts, recipes, discussion topics, written activities, and more.

This devotional is diverse and well balanced, covering a wide-range of topics important to the spiritual growth of young girls. My oldest daughter (8) and I have read through several weeks worth of devotions together and she really seems to enjoy the one-on-one aspect of talking with me about spiritual matters (we also read the Bible together daily and discuss it). I do feel that she'll get more out of it in another year or two so I'm putting it on hold to revisit then.

The conversational, laid back writing style of Gresh is accessible and humorous, though I have to admit that the `valley girl' verbal styling does grate on my nerves from time to time. Each devotional is a single page in length (with some of the additional crafts and recipes included in the appendix). The devotionals themselves take around twenty-minutes to go through together, the occasional, more involved extras will of course take longer if you choose to complete them. These 365 days of devotions for mothers and daughters are sure to draw many children closer to their mothers, and to draw both children and parents closer to God's heart.
on February 7, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Like most resources, Christian, bible-based, or not, a parent really has to use what parts work and tailor what doesn't for their own children. This title is no different. I am using this at bedtime with three daughters, 4, 7, and 10. They (and I) enjoy the special time we have tried to commit to sharing every evening and I hope they're falling asleep with truth from scripture rolling around in their minds and sinking into their hearts.

I've had to edit a bit as I read several pages, just to make it applicable to my girls and to be sure I'm speaking truth as discerned in my spirit. There are also some suggestions in the gab sections that we couldn't use because I felt they were not appropriate.

The most recent example I remember was to watch the movie "Faith Like Potatoes" together. If you've seen the movie, you know the scene that will leave even adults wishing there were a delete button in our brains for images we wish had never had the chance to enter because they are so powerful... and not in a good way. Because the author doesn't give any hint of caution, and it seems a safe and inspiring family movie, I never would have looked up reviews on that one. But years later I honestly don't remember anything about it except the horrific accident portrayed. Why they chose to make that bit so graphic is baffling to me... but this isn't a review of "Faith Like Potatoes," is it?

I do think this is a decent book, and will continue to share it with my daughters since it offers many ideas for sharing our hearts and teaching. However, I know I'll also need to keep alert for my daughters' sake.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
A few weeks ago I received The One Year Mother Daughter Devo by Dannah Gresh and Janet Mylin, published by Tyndale. As the mother of daughters aged 14, 9 and 5, I was especially interested in this title. I wanted something special to do with my girls, apart from their brothers. This devotional doesn't just sport a bright pink floral cover; it is designed especially for mothers of teen and tween daughters to read and share together and contains some unique features:

* Title--okay, most devotions do begin with a title, yet sometimes the titles within this devotional may be prefaced with one of these special descriptors:

1. "Language Lab" (which designates a lesson which defines a theological term such as "righteousness" or "resurrection" about once or twice monthly)
2. "Amazing Animals" devotions include an animal story--and a spiritual lesson we may learn from it (my girls do love animals)
3. "Meditation Moments" teach girls how to meditate on a short selection of Scripture
4. "Kickin Krafts" are referenced twice monthly within the devotionals and include fairly easy crafts likely to appeal to tweens and which can be located easily within the appendix

* "Bible Blast"--a short selection of Scripture verses designed to introduce the devotional (optional for younger daughters)
* Focus Scripture verse--the focus of the devotional lesson
* "Girl Gab"--included in the sidebar, each devotion contains a fun extension activity or discussion time for mom and her daughter(s) to apply the lesson

While each daily devotion may be short, yet it contains enough spiritual depth to either begin or end the day on the right foot. What I am enjoying the most from this devotion are the hands-on activities and discussion topics included within the sidebar (the "Girl Gab" section). I would consider this devotional most aimed toward the tween age, yet some devotions have been perfectly appropriate for both my 14 year old and my 5 year old to share as well. The appendix also contains just a few recipes and suggested fun things to do together.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book free from Tyndale House Publishers as part of their Tyndale Blog Network. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Format: Paperback
When I saw Dannah Gresh's name on the cover of this mother-daughter devotional, I knew it would be great! Dannah and her co-author, Janet Mylin, help mothers protect their tween daughters from the onslaughts of a debauched culture in this one-of-a-kind devotional.

Though the devotions teach the key spiritual truths, such as salvation, prayer, and Bible study, there are also challenges for a more practical, daily walk with God. Some core doctrines of the faith (creation, angels, miracles, etc.) are also covered as well as "The Ten Commandments," "The Beatitudes," and "The Armor of God." Yet, what really stood out to me as I read this book is how the authors emphasize both the mother's responsibility for her daughter's spiritual welfare and the importance that daughters trust and confide in their mothers.

I also appreciate the periodic reminders for daughters of this age (pre-teen, 9- to 14-year-olds) to resist the boy-craziness of their peer culture. This devotional could be a valuable springboard for discussing a girl's sexuality in a biblical context before the crucial decisions of the teen years are upon her. The emphasis on purity and open communication make this devotional a valuable tool in the hands of mothers who wish to make a difference in the lives of their daughters.

Though there are some deep subjects to ponder in these devotions, Dannah and Janet have mixed it up with crafts, recipes, hands-on activities, and even a movie suggestion. There is no room for boredom here. :)
on December 16, 2010
Format: Paperback
Recently my daughter and I had the opportunity to read [for review] The One Year Mother-Daughter Devotional put out by Dannah Gresh.

We really enjoyed the variety and simplicity of these devotions. They didn't overload my daughter but did give her "food for thought".

In addition, we were able to discuss issues right there on the spot, because we were doing the devotion together.

I think it is extremely healthy and great for relationship building (of you & your daughter as well as your daughter and God) to do devotions together. Even if your daughter is old enough to read on her own. Doing them together opens up the opportunity for conversation and questions answered on the spot. Rather than having them forgotten in the midst of life, between doing the devotion separate and trying to find time to meet together later.

Dannah explores topics that young girls face and not every devotion is all seriousness. There is plenty of fun to be had--because living should be fun, too!

Each devotional is equipped with "Girl Gab" which helps create conversations about each issue discussed. I really enjoy that because often it asks me questions to help me share parts of my walk with God with my daughter so that she can see that I face struggles, too. It helps her see that living a life for God is not easy and she is not alone.

Dannah shares 5 different elements throughout these devotionals. They are:

* Bible Blast - digging deeper into Scripture
* Language Lab - help with important words in the Christian faith (like "Hallelujah")
* Amazing Animals - a couple devotions a month that feature amazing animals and what they can teach us about God
* Kickin' Kraft - some devotions offer the opportunity to make a craft (my daughter LOVES crafts)
* Meditation Moments - learning to meditate on God's word

This would make a great gift this Christmas! It's a great way for you to come into fellowship with your daughter and talk about God's word together. I honestly can't think of anything better.

*Book given to me courtesy of Tyndale Publishers in exchange for this authentic review. Please see my full disclosure policy.
on October 18, 2010
Format: Paperback
The One Year Mother Daughter Devo by Dannah Gresh with Janet Mylin is one year's worth of daily devotionals designed to bring mothers and `tween' daughters closer to each other and to God.

The book contains 365 one-page devotions that are labeled for each day of the year. Devotions contain a passage of Scripture (from the NIV) and an application. The Scriptures are applied through activities, which include crafts and recipes, or discussion. About twice per month there are devotions that use analogies about animals. There are also tips for meditating on God's Word and simple lessons in theology. Topics include modesty, purity, self-esteem, emotions, witnessing, and living the faith.

My wife and daughter used this book for this review. The book kept their interest. My daughter especially liked reading the passages about animals. She would scan through the book to find those and read them on her own even after doing devotions with her mother.

The crafts use items found around the home. Most are easy but useful. Items include bookmarks, bath salts, hair clips, and a word game. They are designed to help in remembering the topic, and they seem to do their job well.

The devotions are an excellent way of getting the discussion started. Without the discussions the devotions wouldn't have as much depth. The mother and daughter are to take the discussion further. The devotion would ask a question and the mother and daughter are to determine answers. This formula works really well, as my wife and daughter stayed in the discussions for quite a while.

The devotions were very cohesive. There are several series that continue until completed, such as the Ten Commandments, Beatitudes, Armor of God, Churches in Revelation, etc.

The passages of Scripture are short, which is great for younger daughters. For older daughters I recommend finding a passage to go along with the topic.

My wife and daughter recommend this book, especially to mothers that are trying to become more involved with their daughters' Biblical education. It is well-written and made devotion-time enjoyable.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I was provided this book for free by Tyndale Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2010
Format: Paperback
The One Year Mother Daughter Devo allows mothers and daughters to come together once a day to foster a deeper relationship with the Lord and each other. Each devotional contains a scripture passage, a key verse, a devotional, and a girl gab. The devotionals are easy to grasp, practical application lessons. The girl gab portion encourages talking between mothers and daughters. Two times per month, optional Kickin' Krafts are introduced that reinforce the lesson for the day. All of the activities are meant to help mothers and daughters bond and grow together while developing a stronger relationship with the Lord.

My daughter and I decided that we would start our day with these devotions. While my daughter is waking up and we're cuddling in bed, I read the scripture passage from the Bible. We talk briefly about anything that we feel needs further discussion, and then I read the key verse and devotional. After talking about the devotional, we go over the girl gab which has lead to some nice conversations. We wrap up the morning devotions with prayer. Having these special devotions geared towards the unique relationship of mothers and daughters is a lovely way to start the day.

Even though this is a dated, one year devotional, you can pick it up and start the devotions at any point throughout the year. The devotionals do not expand on each other, so it is not necessary to start from the beginning of the book. While the devotionals are on the easy side, they are not light on solid theology. They make a good springboard for great conversations and further exploration into topics covered. The fun activities, including some recipes, are peppered throughout the book so not to overwhelm an already busy mom. Whether you use the devotions in the morning, in the afternoon, or at night, you're sure to enjoy these daily devotionals with your daughter.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from Tyndale to help facilitate the writing of this review. All opinions are my own.
on October 14, 2010
Format: Paperback
I was excited to receive this complimentary copy and review this book for Tyndale Publishers. Not only do I have a daughter, I also work with the teenage girls at our church. Although the One Year Mother Daughter Devo is written with pre-teens in mind, I found that it also was relevant for girls in Jr. High as well. I got some great devotional ideas for them as well.
The book has some great ways to connect with your daughter each day. There is something to interest your daughter, no matter what type of personality she has. It has interesting and fun stories, as well as crafts and recipes to enjoy together. Each day, you have the opportunity to read and discuss spiritual matters with your daughter and when you get in the routine of spending that time together each day, you find that your daughter opens up more and more. My daughter is excited for us to have Bible time together each day and we both look forward to discussing the topic of the day.
Although, the book does not delve into any "deep" or "heavy" issues, I still found it to be relevant for today and it is a great tool to keep the lines of communication open with your daughter. I have really enjoyed the book and will continue to enjoy using it with my daughter throughout the rest of the year. Dannah Gresh and Janet Mylin have done a great job creating a positive and upbeat book for mothers and daughters to enjoy together. I will definately be recommending this book to other moms who have tween daughters.