Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

92%

on March 18, 2011
Donald Wright has written an insightful, reflective analysis of his very personal journey to freethought "liberation." Wright layers personal testimony about his conflicts with the church he devoted several years of his life to with an honest assessment of the pitfalls of religious dogma. He skillfully chronicles the inherent dangers of the cult of charismatic masculinity that predominates in many black churches. In so doing, he provides a window onto the often painful reckoning emergent non-believers must come to in order to abandon the folly of blind faith. Read Wright's book for a unique glimpse into the inner workings of a "questing" (to use Zora Neale Hurston's term) intellect.
on January 24, 2010
Having known the author for many years, I had no doubt that any book he penned would be thought-provoking and frank..."The Only Prayer" doesn't disappoint.

Mr. Wright packs a plethora of information and opinion into the book's 82 pages, covering everything from his own spiritual journey to the (mis)education of Christians and the relationship between African-Americans and religion.

Some people will likely be disturbed by Mr. Wright's words...once again, having known the author as long as I have, I know his intent is to encourage the reader to seek the truth, and not simply to be provocative.
on March 9, 2011
The Only Prayer I'll Ever Pray is a succinct look into the detrimental effects of religion and religious fallacy. Written from the perspective of a former Baptist deacon, it renders a very compelling call-especially for Blacks-to develop critical thinking skills and embrace rational thinking relative to our allegiance to Christianity, as well as religion in general. The author chronicles his very interesting and enlightening metamorphosis from an unquestioning dedicated deacon to a man of sobering reason. Being the first of its kind that I'd encountered, I was unable to put it down. This book inspired a desire for intellectual growth and is A MUST READ! It helped to bring about a renewed appreciation for the often unsung value of rationality. Many thanks to the author! I am looking forward to his next project.
on February 14, 2012
I am so very proud and inspired by this book written by Donald Wright! I too emancipated myself from Christianity/ordained ministry and went on a journey of self-discovery. That journey, like Donald's, led me to let go of the need to connect with religion, God, or any philosophy that takes me away from myself and the abilities that I have, that we all have, to live reasonably and responsibly. This book, "The Only Prayer I'll Ever Pray: Let My People Go," is a quality book written by a quality person. In it, the author chronicles how he let go and gained clarity about what it means to live a quality life inspired by reason and critical reflection - which seem to be lacking these days, especially among many so-called Christians. This author's journey, inspired in part by his reading of Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason," is open, honest, and a challenge to church-goers struggling with personal questions of ethics and purpose. In addition, this book is the embodiment of what it means to "assume total responsibility for [one's] welfare," the first of five characteristics of a quality person written by Paine so long ago. In these 82 pages, Wright has demonstrated that being a quality person is still a very noble and worthy task. I definitely recommend it.
on February 1, 2012
I just finished reading "The Only Prayer I'll Ever Pray: Let My People Go. A most compelling insight into the experience of a devoted church going African American Man and his journey to truth! Once I picked up the book, it's hypnotic affect of this strong visualizing Journey, I couldn't put it down until I finished reading it cover to cover (Forward, Acknowledgments, Preface, Body and Bibliography). As an African American Male Nonbeliever, this work acknowledges that my Brain is functioning correctly when I use it to think critically about an invisible god in the sky. Let My People Go, details the plight of Blacks in American and the grip that the Black Church has on the minds and bodies of those who have fallen for the Banana in the tailpipe! Time and time again I ask Christians and Muslims why they believe, and the common answer is, it was the way I was brought up. Well I don't believe in Santa Claus anymore, and why, because it's illogical. Many African Americans just go with the flow, therefore I recommend that this book be passed on to a believer and once confronted with reality the final decision will be compelling. Great job Donald, my on the fence friends will be truly challenged after reading your book. I look forward to your next project.
on March 20, 2011
I met Donald at one of my talks when I was speaking on The God Virus. He gave me a copy of The Only Prayer. I had it read before I got off my flight back home. As an old white guy I always wondered, "Why do Blacks worship the oppressors' god?" This book answers that question and much more. If you are curious at all about how religion infects and controls the Black community, this book will give you valuable insights. I think Donald has raised important questions and proposed important answers for anyone to consider. Whether black or white, we all are affected by the religious culture that surrounds us. This is a very personal book in that it comes directly from the authors' experiences as a religious person in a religious culture and family. Its power is in the clear personal narrative.

Dr. Darrel W. Ray, author if The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
on March 20, 2011
Donald Wright did an excellent job writing this book. His passion for truth and his passion for helping people are heart-felt. The author engages the reader and provides many good thought provoking questions. This book should be a part of your personal library. Poeple deserve to know the TRUTH about Religion.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful." By Seneca the Younger

"Religion does three things quite effectively: divide people, controls people, and deludes people." By Calespie Mary Alice McKinney

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." By Robert M. Pirig
on October 22, 2011
For any freethinker or someone coming to realize that their religion (mainly Christian) isn't what they thought it was, this book is a must read! I love how it gracefully points out some of the fallacies and contradictions of "God's Word" (Bible) leaving the truth seeker craving MORE TRUTH (light). I found myself reading this book before bed and waking up the next morning to continue. Seriously, this is a must read! I'm about to order more copies of this book to give to friends and family (I want to hold on to my copy so that I may refer to later).
on October 14, 2014
This is one of the few books that you will not put down. Donald Wright put the last nail in the church coffin. I was reading the book on the bus and this christian woman got so scared that she moved to another seat. Mind you she wanted the name of the publishing company. I guess she wanted to exercise her first amendment rights.

The book is insightful, educational, thought provoking and honest. I am looking forward to a book 2.

DONALD, can you hear me now?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2014
Excellent book for those coming from a religious background via the Black church experience. Donald hits the nail on the head. Anyone can gain some valuable insight regarding the relationship between Christianity and Blacks around the world. Great job!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse