5.0 out of 5 stars The inauspicous beginnings of an underwhelming band of Player Characters - dun dun dun!, July 18, 2007
This review is from: The Order of the Stick, Vol. 0: On the Origin of PCs (Paperback)
I'm not much of a comic book or manga fan. But the Order of the Stick is different, different, different! I must admit that a reader who has never played D&D might not catch every innuendo, but there are enough laughs for even the most uninitiated. The jokes and twists are hilarious and yet, with each comic, the story moves forward.
Origin of the PCs tells how the player characters (PC's) got their start and formed the infamous Order of the Stick. As Burlew's online strip starts with the party already together, it was fun to go back in time and see the characters before they knew each other. After all, how did a psychotic halfling, dwarven cleric, bumbling bard, androgynous mage, and opportunistic rogue all team up with a college-grad fighter on quest to avenge his father's death? Overall, a very fun read with plenty of chuckles. Now, I'm looking forward to 'Start of Darkness' for a similar look at the 'origin of the NPCs'. How did Xykon become a litch? What is the creature in the darkness? And how long will it take for SOD to reach Amazon, so we can order it here?

5.0 out of 5 stars So this is how it all began., October 15, 2010
Interestingly, I have never played a D&D game in my life. The only sort of game similar to that that I've played is Warhammer 40k--but even then, I've only played a few games.
Nevertheless, a friend of mine introduced me to this webcomic, and I became so engrossed in it that I decided to order the first book. The first book was fine, but because I'm an outsider looking in, I had a hard time getting a lot of the jokes and understanding the subtle jabs at D&D and D&D-related games.

But I pressed on.

After reading this book, I have to admit that I enjoyed it far more than the first one. Not because it was funnier or anything; it was actually on the same plane of humor and plot. But now that I understood the characters more, I laughed so much more at how they met up. First thinking the prequel was going to be a disaster, I finished it with it having far exceeded my expectations, and impressed with how well Burlew put together volume 0.

Burlew noted that it's probably preferable to read this after the third book, but after later explaining the only situation in the third book that you'd need to fully get everything from the prequel, it's best to read it after the first volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny it hurts!, May 9, 2006
If you have EVER played an RPG, especially Dungeons and Dragons, this comic series will have you in stitches. Burlew thoroughly skewers everything from game mechanics, to racial stereotypes (androgynous elves, drunken dwarves, kleptomaniacal halflings) to intra-party politics. It's SOUTH PARK for gamers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 24, 2013
If you are a fan of the series you will enjoy seeing how the group got together but not a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Backstory, Yay!, March 8, 2010
I *adore* backstory in any shape and form, and this book provides a good look into the backstories of everybody's favorite band of bumbling stick figure heroes, the Order of the Stick. It avoids the mistakes made in many prequel series -- that is to say, it does not reveal too *much* about certain characters. (As Mr. Burlew points out in his intro, do we really *want* to know why Belkar is evil? He wouldn't be funny if he had a tragic backstory to go with it.) At the same time, it answers many questions about the cast's activities before we first see them in the webcomic, making them seem more three dimensional and thus more interesting to the reader.

In terms of funny, it's got quite a few laughs, though not as many as the standard comic. That's a-okay with me, as (like I said) I find backstory to be fascinating and that's why I read the book. I did feel that the storyline(s) jumped around a bit too much. It's understandable, given that he had to cover all the character and only had so much room to do it, but it was occasionally jarring to get involved in Character A's storyline and then have it switch to Character B's. Not a perfect edition, but it's still a great read, and well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 22, 2014
This book is a very interesting journey into the backstory of the protagonists of the Order of the Stick. I do wish it was a bit longer. It was interesting to see OOTS in a more comic book-like format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Th past of the "gang", September 9, 2013
Ireally do like how the PCs are shown. It just fits perfectly and their character, motivation and personalities are shown nicely.
I can recomend this comic to everyone who already likes the webcomic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 3, 2013
Extremely well written and funny references to the game. I laugh the whole day when I read it, and I am looking forward to buy the other volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, April 7, 2013
This was exactly what a prequel should be. It fleshed out the characters I already knew. I love the OotS webcomic and I also love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 21, 2013
Every bit as awesome as expected. Fans of Order of the Stick will like it. Includes fun fluff, but also adds a little meat to the storyline.

The Order of the Stick, Vol. 0: On the Origin of PCs
The Order of the Stick, Vol. 0: On the Origin of PCs by Rich Burlew (Paperback - Aug. 2005)
Used & New from: $23.56