4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for everyone involved
Published on April 11, 2006 by MElise

2.0 out of 5 stars More stable but less interesting than version 4
Version 4 was full of bugs and agonizingly slow but it clearly reflected an effort to expand the game and make it more interesting.
This version reverses direction. It is quite stable and should run on just about any recently purchased Windows computer.
The trade off is the game play is diminished. The other members of your party no longer have occupations or...
Published on June 15, 2002 by paul

‹ Previous | 1 2 333 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for everyone involved, April 11, 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I was very happy with this game- it took the bets parts of the previous Oregon Trail incarnations and wove them together for a good overall product. I can appreciate a company which recognizes both the weaknesses and the strengths of their products and uses this information to get better. In this Oregon Trail you can once again chose how many you will travel with and name them (for some crazy reason this feature was eliminated in the 4th Oregon Trail edition), but you can also CHOOSE the times you stop to collect wild fruit or fish, instead of these circumstances just happening randomly (which does not make as much sense). To me, these were the biggest changes to previous games, but they were improvements.

Aside from the above changes, the basics of the game remain the same, and it will look familiar to those who have played other editions. A few things have been updated, particularly some aspects concerning Native Americans and some geography, but the good times still keep rolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars WINDOWS XP COMPATIBLE, September 23, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is the same game that many of us enjoyed in middle school. This version is just a more updated version.

I just wanted to let people know that this version DEFINITELY works on Windows XP. I use that operating system. The only thing I had to do was download a quick fix patch, and it worked perfectly. I got the information from the manufacturer's website. Here is the link to it: [...]

Of course, I hold no responsibility for anything going wrong. I'm just saying that this is what worked for me, and the game makers led me to this. Hope it helps somebody else, and reassures others that this game DOES work on Windows XP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not run!, August 4, 2006
B. Gum (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
I had really enjoyed other games in the series (in my opinion Oregon Trail 2 is the best because of the many choices for start date/time, start city, and destination), and was really looking forward to this game, but unfortunately, I could not get it to run on my machine (a PC with Windows XP). There was no patch or detailed help readily available, and the online advice I found (after hunting around quite a bit) was not helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid Game, January 15, 2002
This review is from: The Oregon Trail: Adventures along the Oregon Trail, 5th Edition (CD-ROM)
Wow, when the reviews I'd read said it was an update of Oregon Trail 2, they weren't kidding. It is almost exactly the same, with a few great updates (the fishing and gathering options, as well as the story of the Montgomery family). I really enjoy this game, and always have. I think they probably could have done a bit more improving on the old version 2, but I'll still play with great enjoyment very often.

1.0 out of 5 stars This was a rip off., April 18, 2004
Kacey (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
I've been playing OT since it's first version, back in the 80s. This is a slightly jazzed up COPY of version 2. IMO, version 3 far exceeds anything before or since. Version 2 is pretty good if you want a basic game (start to finish in an hour or so). Version 3 is great, with the addition of fishing, gathering, and player driven trading, along with the much better graphics. Version 4 consistently crashes on an incredibly powerful gaming computer system, which I use to run MMORPGs. There's no reason that such a basic game should be so incredibly unstable. I've never managed to get to Oregon with that game. It always crashes shortly after leaving Kansas. I was so pleased to see Version 5 on the shelf, and so incredibly irritated that I had wasted my money once I had loaded it!! The only difference between 2 and 5 is a different border frame around the picture, and the addition of the "story" of transporting the children to Oregon. Other than that, in all important ways (UI, graphics, trading, hunting, etc.), it is identical to Version 2. Don't waste your money on v5. Hunt down a used copy of v3. It's a much better way to spend your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Educational Value!, December 26, 2001
By A Customer
It seems to be true that they didn't put much money on this game, but money isn't everything and I disagree when people talk about lack of creativity. In spite of being "just an upgrade from version 2"- BTW, the best version so far, the new version brings movies that are great. They enhanced the game enormously with a huge amount of historical content. My son loved it, he is playing it all the time, and I know that he is really learning with it; after all, every time you play is a different story!
Although some of the art looks kind of old, the game is much bigger and better than most of the games being released now, its new interface functions very well and have some new activities too - besides hunting, you can fish and gather plants! In my opinion, it was money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole family loves it!, February 27, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We have windows XP Pro and have only occasional problems running the game. When we have problems, we reboot the computer immediately before we play the game. Don't know why, but it works. We love this game so much that we play it as a family...the little one hunts and fishes, the older one buys supplies and treats diseases. I love it that my kids are REALLY learning about history,geography, problem solving, botany, medicine, even some math! The game has given us a springboard for learning and talking about so many of the issues related to westward expansion. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST PC GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, February 16, 2005
A Kid's Review
I am a 12 year old girl and I dont really like history so when I played this game last year in school I thought it would be boring. I was by far wrong. It does have realistic events (like the wagon tipping over, choices on how to cross a river and go down hills etc) but it is mainly action and trying to make it to oregon (or where ever else you are going). I was pleasantly surprised with this game and bought it. You can choose the names and ages of your passengers as well as your wagon, job, year and destination. I played an earlier version in school and they arent very different but this one is a little more updated and you can also hunt and fish. It is easy to download and it only takes a few minutes. This game is the best computer game I have ever played and I hope the producers come out with a 6'th one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, classic game with some compatibility problems, December 15, 2005
I played this game with my niece about a year ago. It's a wonderful update of OT2, though I miss a few features of the classic, e.g., the versatility of the trades. I like the ability to fish and gather instead of hunting all the time. That is esp important for kids who have coordination problems. The only downside (if you don't like "cheats") is that you seem to be able to catch an unlimited amount of fish and gather an unlimited amount of fruit and vegetables. But gathering helps teach kids to recognize different plants and look up which ones are edible and fishing allows kids to learn about the different fish along the trail. It's a fun way to learn.

My niece liked the cartoons and the Montgomery family. Reading their journal and keeping her own added a lot for her.

You can save the game but have to leave the town, just like in earlier versions. If you don't really want to leave, just "leave", save the game, and return to your starting town (e.g., Independance). Losing a day is rarely significant.

One significant problem noted by other reviewers is that you have to load some older software or reconfigure display options in order for this game to run well on many computers. At least that was true a year or so ago.

Another problem is that the documentation is sparse. E.g., You learn that you can save your shopping by trial and error: you leave town, save, then return. If you aren't desperate enough to try leaving first, you may never figure that out. Despite what an earlier reviewer said, I think that the information about how much a wagon can hold is available in the handbook that's part of the game (i.e., it's one of the resources - like the diaries - that is only available within the game itself).

The Oregon Trail II Official Strategy Guide is helpful because it describes how much/how many food, tools, oxen, and other supplies you need. It explains things like oxen are better for pulling than horses and you should buy vinegar bc it prevents scurvy. It also explains that things like spices, playing cards, games, and musical instruments help boost the party morale even though you don't get to directly use them in the game. Therefore, not everything the earlier reviewer (Rob) bought was "wasted" even though he may not have realized their value in the game. And some of the "wasted" things that he bought, like the saddle, are worth more on the trail than the amount he paid for them initially. Thus, they aren't wasted bc you can trade with them or sell them. Other things, like a piano, are wasted if you buy them bc they are virtually worthless on the trail and add a lot of useless weight. Learning that is part of the game. Unfortunately, not everyone figures that out, which can be frustrating. If you want that sort of information, I strongly suggest you find The OT II Official Strategy Guide.

Overall, it's a fun game with fairly good replayability if you don't mind changing computer settings, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, September 25, 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I own the II edition and now the 5th edition. They did make some improvements, like you can now go fishing and gather your own fruit and veggies any time. The hunting is the same. They added a neat story feature that provides some nice history and education with animated characters. You can click to bypass it anytime but it's fun to listen to. They also added a feature where you can watch your wagon cross the river so you can watch and see if it gets stuck or tips over (or, if you're fording the river, you can see it get completely flooded). I still think there is a LOT of room for improvement in the game (better animation, more help and tips, etc) but it's still a fun game to play. I played it on my PC with XP with no problems at all. I also have a Mac OS X and I did have a problem while trying to install. To run on a mac, it requires the "New York" font, which my particular Mac did not have by default. So I actually had to go on a different mac computer, copy the font onto a flash drive, and then copy it onto my mac. Then the game installed just fine. A strange quirk IMO...why can't they just include the font with the game so people don't have to hassle with it?

‹ Previous | 1 2 333 | Next ›

The Oregon Trail: Adventures along the Oregon Trail, 5th Edition
The Oregon Trail: Adventures along the Oregon Trail, 5th Edition by The Learning Company (Mac, Windows, Windows 95 / 98 / Me)
$9.99 $8.90