5.0 out of 5 stars Teach children to read simply and efficiently!
This is a reprint of a book that America used for 150 years to teach school children how to read. It is an excellent resource for homeschooled kids and for any parent who wants to teach their own child how to read.

Published on May 6, 2007 by Rosemary Thornton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but difficult to read
Published on February 27, 2006 by somanybooks_solittletime

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach children to read simply and efficiently!, May 6, 2007
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)

I taught my first grade daughter how to read, using this book and McGuffey's Readers. When we finished Noah Webster's Blue Backed Speller, she could read anything - from the KJV Bible to the local newspaper with extraordinary comprehension, accuracy and speed.

Quite frankly, I was amazed at how easy it was to teach my little girl how to read. And it became a real precious time - spending 45-60 minutes each day with her for about 6 weeks, reviewing the lessons in this book.

After our incredible success, I ordered extra copies of this book and gave them away to friends who were frustrated with public schools and teachers explaining why kids weren't reading by 2nd grade.

My friends also had good results with this book and they bought their own copies to give away to more friends.

My little girl is now a a sophomore in college (honor student!) and she has remained a voracious reader throughout her life. I highly recommend this book.

I bristle when I hear tales of the rampant illiteracy in our schools. Teaching our little ones to read does not require massive federal spending or enormous budgets. It requires love, patience, parental involvement and Noah Webster's Blue Backed Speller.

It really is just that simple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but difficult to read, February 27, 2006
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
This book is very interesting to read but you probably would not want to use it in your homeschool as I was hoping to because the type is small and hard to read This must be because of the way that it was printed or the type or printer that was used, I don't know. This is a shame because it is biblicaly based and very moral and spiritually uplifting reading unlike most of the begining reader material out there. If only it could be reprinted with clearer type.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Original Blue Back Speller, March 18, 2007
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
I really like this book because it sheds light on how a part of the English language was initially taught in American schools during Noah Webster's era and for numerous years, thereafter. I believe that one can benefit most from this book with the help of a tutor/teacher and/or a dictionary, so that the correct pronunciation of words will be learned. I appreciate having this historical document in my own library even though some of the faded and broken text is sometimes difficult or impossible to read: I suppose this loss of legibility is a result of the aging of the work.

1.0 out of 5 stars I agree, too difficult to read, February 13, 2012
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
This book's print is too small for me to comfortably read (I have good vision). In addition, as it is a reprint, it is somewhat blurry and not crisp and clean. This would be impossible for me to use in homeschooling my learning-to-read children as the text is very close together. Too bad, I was looking forward to utilyzing this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, August 25, 2011
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
Yes, the book is small and can be difficult to read. That exactly why I teach from it not expect my 2 homeschoolers to read from it on their own. It is the most concise, logical, methodical resource I have ever run across to teach spelling and phonics. I love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor printing, July 2, 2008
Diane Hariel (Perkinston, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
I was excited about getting this book. I realize it is a reprint, but the print quality is poor making it hard to read. It was probably done to make the book look old, but I expected better quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific historical tool..., February 15, 2010
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
The blue back speller is a terrific historical look at what people were taught when our country was young. The words and lessons in this book suprised and amazed me. I am going use this with my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 24, 2010
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
This book is excellent to use for home education to teach a child to read or to help any age that needs some remedial help. I have been using this book since the late 1990's. Definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars History, June 14, 2014
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
Again see the way kids used to learn and why the old eight grade education was equivalent to a college grad now.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, March 30, 2013
This review is from: The Original Blue Back Speller (Hardcover)
There is a reason my generation (1960's graduated from high school) knowing how to read and write: it was this kind of teaching. The basics of reading and writing are the foundation of every humans future. Without them you are at the mercy of others to lead you through and it most likely will be on their path, not yours>

The Original Blue Back Speller
The Original Blue Back Speller by Noah Webster (Hardcover - October 25, 2002)
Used & New from: $8.93