5.0 out of 5 stars This toy makes us smile and giggle
Published 9 months ago by NYC Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from Other Pop Ups, for Better and for Worse
This is a great toy, but, but, but.

The product description is misleading. It reads, "Amusing wooden toy with 4 color peg figures which bob up and down on concealed springs... Age: 12 months"

Published on December 22, 2009 by Elizabeth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from Other Pop Ups, for Better and for Worse, December 22, 2009
Elizabeth (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
This is a great toy, but, but, but.

First of all, the peg figures do not merely bob up and down on springs. Unlike other pop-up toys, in which the popping things are secured to the springs, these popping pegs are not. So if you push them down with any force at all (certainly with the amount of force most year-old babies can muster), they pop out of their little holes and several feet across the room.

Fun? Incredibly fun. Educational? Definitely. But it means that this toy requires a lot more participation from the parent, who will generally need to at least make sure the pegs get back in the holes, or near the baby. They may roll off under a chair, or pop away into someone's coffee. Again, this is not necessarily a "con", but it's something to think about.

And second of all, I'm pretty amazed that this is for 12+ months. I don't consider myself uptight about choking hazards (see my review for a Canon camera on Amazon- I have pictures of my infant eating cherries, to the chagrin of everyone I know). But these are shaped exactly like a baby's windpipe. They *do* seem a little long for a baby to swallow, but people who use the "toilet paper roll test" (if it drops through a toilet paper roll, it's a hazard) will not be pleased. They are a mere 1/2" in diameter, and about 2.5" long. Like a Sharpie pen, but shorter.

From the New York Times: "The Consumer Product Safety Commission says any toy that is small enough to fit through a circle an inch and a half in diameter (the size of a toilet paper tube) or is less than two and a quarter inches long is unsafe for small children. Although toys with small parts, like Duplo Legos, are sold for children 18 months and older, toddlers should be supervised when playing with them."

It does say on the box that the toy is only to be used under adult supervision. Which is obvious, since (a) all toys say that and (b) you're not going to leave a 12-month-old alone anyway. But this toy requires serious supervision, like, you would not really want to have it out during a play-date, or while trying to clip coupons, or if you had to hop over the baby gate to check on the soup once in awhile, even if you were in sight of the child.

Third (this part does not have to do with the product description), the toy pegs do not "hide" in the down position. With other popping toys, the little faces can be pushed down to hide, and stay there. Then the baby pushes on them, and they pop up. Not so this toy. The faces stay up, the baby pushes them down with her finger, and then they either just pop back up, or pop right out of the box.

This is a very fun toy that I think has been poorly described. I would recommend it for children that are no longer putting everything in their mouths, and who can follow the little pegs as they fly across the room, and retrieve them. In other words, older toddlers and preschoolers. Not the babies for whom most pop-up toys are designed.

I'm really sad because I bought this for my baby for Christmas and it was her only toy. If only I'd stuck with Ikea!

Oh yeah... and it broke after a week. The springs broke. Although the baby enjoys chewing on the little pegs, she hasn't choked on one yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars New company, October 29, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
Galt used to make it, now it's a different company. The wooden discs broke right away, the pegs wouldn't pop up. We took it apart and substituted nickles which work very well and won't break. However. A person shouldn't have to do this, so I can't recommend it anymore. Also, if the child puts his head right over the pegs while they pop up they can go in his eye. I continue to enjoy the pop up peg toy, now it's fixed. Dangerous as it is it's fun to push the pegs.

5.0 out of 5 stars This toy makes us smile and giggle, October 24, 2013
NYC Mom (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
Both my one year old and my four year old find this toy amusing. Good for learning colors and hand eye coordination. And the faces make me smile as they pop out. We don't play with it for hours, but it is an entertaining toy. And I guess I should mention, this is a pop-up and out toy. When pressed, the "people" pop out of the hole if pressed in the right way. But it no way could it shoot across the room or in an eye like one reviewer said. My older son jammed one of the springs and I unscrewed the bottom and easily fixed it back to working order.

3.0 out of 5 stars broken when we got it, December 4, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
Got this as a gift for my 1 year old. lots of fun and he looks surprised with a half gaping mouth when the little guys pop out, but he hasn't figured out how to make them pop himself yet--push the little guys down into the hole, where he sits on a spring, and he pops out. when he does figure it out, this could get kinda dangerous (ie peg guys in the eyes or rocketing across the room). Yes, he puts the little guys in his mouth but he doesn't seem to try to actually swallow them. I think it would be pretty hard to do, but probably pretty easy to gag on. 2 of the platforms on the springs were broken when we got this. At first the little wooden disks were blocking the springs from moving, but when we got the pieces out, they seemed to be very easy to break apart. I guess i'll try to open the thing up and use nickels like one of the other reviewers

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke immediately, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
The spring for one of the pegs broke the first time I pressed it (and I didn't press hard). I can't imagine this toy will hold up well to my toddlers play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good toy, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
I bought this toy for my cild care and it was broken within 15 minutes. I couldn't believe that it had gotten broken so fast. 1 of the springs broke. By the end of the day 3 were broken and the toy went into the trash. What a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler Loves Pop Up Toy, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
My toddler laughed and giggled with this toy. He is still in the thrill of making them pop up. My teenager is fascinated with the mechanics of it too. This is a well made toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this toy, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
I love this toy for many reasons. I like how it is wood instead of cheap plastic. My daughter (4 months old) loves to grab the pop up men. Of course she loves to gnaw on them as well. They pieces are small but I do not believe that they are small enough to cause her to choke. With that being said, I always supervisor her with this toy. She also loves to watch the men pop out. She is not able to do that herself yet but it is a good toy to grow with her. I also love how she will be able to match the colors as she gets older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy!, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
This toy is a favorite with EVERY kid that visits us! Such a simple toy but it's so great for fine motor skills. We love this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a favorite, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Pop Up Toy (Toy)
This is a classic. My boys all loved their pop up toy and the new babies in the family
love it too. It's solid wood, smooth and still so much fun!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›