1,091 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This new special edition "Stays Gold"
Published on September 20, 2005 by Cubist

3.0 out of 5 stars What a classic!
I loved the Outsiders when it first came out - it is so campy, but it is truly a classic movie. The cast is simply amazing, with a lot of future heavy hitters. The special features on this DVD are truly amazing, and long overdue!

Published on February 27, 2006 by missy99

5.0 out of 5 stars This new special edition "Stays Gold", September 20, 2005
Cubist (United States) - See all my reviews
Coppola's original version was quite faithful to Hinton's book and this new edit is even more so. He has put back in 22 more minutes, most noticeably at the beginning and end of the movie. This new footage opens up the film more. We are introduced to the greasers much earlier on now that Coppola isn't reigned in by the dictates of test screenings. He is able to take the time to immerse the audience in this richly textured world shot in glorious widescreen by Stephen Burum who adopts a look that evokes another epic about troubled youth, Rebel Without A Cause (1955). The film is drenched in the golden hues of warm sunrises and sunsets like something right out of Gone with the Wind (1939).

Another significant change has Coppola replacing all of his father's beautiful, classical score in favour of period rock `n' roll music. In some cases, like the opening scene where Ponyboy is jumped by some Socs, it works and in others, like the whimsical surf music that plays over the scene where the Socs jump Johnny and Ponyboy, it feels awkward and out of place. Part of the film's original charm was its moments of `50s style melodrama, as epitomized by the film's orchestral soundtrack, and this diminished by the newly inserted period music that could be right out of an episode of Crime Story. Hinton's books are timeless with their universal themes and the original music reflected that. This new music, while accurate for its time period, contributes to a loss of some of the timeless feel.

On the first DVD is an audio commentary with director Francis Ford Coppola. He addresses the changes in the soundtrack by saying that after all these years he wanted to move away from a score that commented on what was happening to music that the characters would actually be listening to. The filmmaker delivers another top notch commentary full of smart observations and talks at length about why he prefers this cut.

There is an additional commentary featuring Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe and Matt Dillon. Coppola invited all of them back to see this new cut of the film with Lowe and Dillon recorded separately. This is an entertaining track that fans will love. It's great to hear these actors talk about this movie after all these years.

The second disc kicks things off with a retrospective look at the movie, entitled, "Stay Gold: A Look Back at The Outsiders." In a nice touch, we see Lane, Macchio, Swayze and Howell being reunited with Coppola at his ranch where they recorded their commentary. This is an excellent look at the movie with all kinds of good, on set footage.

"S.E. Hinton on Location in Tulsa" features the publicity-shy author revisiting the locations that Coppola used in the movie, including the drive-in which still exists. She talks about how Coppola worked closely with her on the set to make sure that the script was true to her book.

"The Casting of The Outsiders" has casting director now producer Fred Roos take us through the casting process with audition footage from back in the day. People like Kate Capshaw and Adam Baldwin tried out for the film. Anthony Michael Hall even read for the role of Ponyboy!

A nice addition is "Readings," with some of the cast who came back for these featurettes reading their character descriptions from Hinton's novel.

"NBC News Today Segment: The Outsiders Started by School Petition." This is a new story done during the film's original release about how a class of California school kids wrote a letter to Coppola asking him to make Hinton's book into a movie.

There are six "Additional Scenes" with more footage from the opening that is even more faithful to the book but the rest of the scenes amount to extensions of existing ones.

Finally, there is a theatrical trailer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extended Edition, August 28, 2005
I'm so glad they decided to put out a Two-Disc Special Edition. This movie is well worth it and now we get to see the deleted scenes we've been waiting for. I hope the rest of the 80's classics get this treatment. It's awesome that Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe and Diane Lane all made a commentary segment for this DVD, the only bad thing is Tom and Emilio aren't in the commentary.

Just watched my Copy of THE OUTSIDERS---

Wow. This was so freakin' awesome you guys. There is 22 extra minutes added to the movie and 10 additional deleted scenes as special features. For the people who were disappointed in the movie because it lacked scenes from the book you have got to buy this edition. All of the scenes are added to the movie like I previously said. The special features are outstanding as well. They show a reunion at Francis Ford Coppola 's house screening the new extended movie with Diane Lane, C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze and Ralph Macchio. There are cast interviews and a special with S. E. Hinton talking about the book and the movie. She also shows the places the movie took place. Like the movie theater, the school, the brothers house and the street Dallas was killed. There's much more extra's, so enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a classic!, February 27, 2006

Now, the reason why I did not give this DVD five stars - the music! Why did Coppola get rid of the beautiful score from the original movie and replace it with that god-awful music? Perhaps that music worked in a FEW scenes, but for the most part, it really tended to minimize some of the more dramatic parts in the movie. The new music did not work for me at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for teenagers!, October 19, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Outsiders [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As a teenager myself, I wasn't very keen on watching this movie myself as it sounded pretty boring and considering that it was made in 1983, it only made things worse.I was sort of forced to watch it as it was my class' English literature text and we HAD to watch it. But this movie really inspired my whole class on living life. Especially the part where Ponyboy is thinking 'It seemed that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one i saw from my back steps were the same.Maybe the two worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset.' What this really meant was underneath all the wealth and loads of attitude, people are still the same.They still have emotions and feel for one another. For some it was a 'sob-sob' movie, with all its emotional parts, we learnt about life, life and life. ALthough this book got my whole class saying 'Shut your trap hood!' and later cracking up, my english literature test was much easier and this meant to all of us that, everyone has their days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul stirring drama-PhantomCool014@excite.com, May 29, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Outsiders [VHS] (VHS Tape)
FILM REVIEW "The Outsiders" Rated PG. 88 minutes. First screened in 1983. As a film-lover myself I believe that this movie is one of the most beautiful and touching that I have ever seen. Based on the stunning novel by S.E. Hinton, only. a teenager herself when she wrote the book, this movie conveys all the emotions and tension of the book. This movie, directed by Francis Ford Coppola( director of the famous films : The Godfather, The Godfather 2 and Apocalypse Now) has a certain magic about it that you just don't get in a Disney movie. The reason for this is that this tale is one of sadness, despair and a teenager in the 50's reaching out for help and finding nothing there. Eventually the movie makes you realise that with the togetherness of the gang, Pony boy has got all that he ever needed. The acting in this film, while touching, left a little to be desired. The plot was simple but solid and supported by a range of very well known modern actors. Starring such actors as Tom Cruise as Steve Randle, C. Thomas Howell as Ponyboy Curtis, Emilio Estevez as Two-Bit Matthews, Rob Lowe as Sodapop Curtis, Patrick Swayze as Darrel Curtis, Matt Dillon as Dallas Winston, Ralph Macchio as Johnny Cade and Diane Lane as Cherry Valance. All of these roles in the movie were played expertly by the characters listed and they portrayed all the emotions of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars What was Coppola thinking?, March 15, 2006
I'm in total agreement from the only other critical reviewer- the new music is a complete detraction and distraction from the new version. I am, in a sense, watching an entirely different film. What was Coppola thinking? Apparently, "less is more" is not in his vocabulary. The movie, The Outsiders, came out at a time when I had just read the book twice and was completely enamored with the whole story. I was twelve at the time and I did enjoy the movie, even though it was missing alot from the book. Later as an adult when I watched it I could appreciate that much more the cinematography (the golden hues offer so much beauty) and the magnificent score. Now, with the latest edition, I was excited when my brother sent me the dvd as a gift and couldn't wait to watch it. Coppola removed about 90% of the original score and replaced it with rockabilly 50s/60s music, playing it incessantly. Many of the original scenes, for example, were once absolutely free from music, where the viewer can enjoy the downtime and experience the actual surroundings. I not only found the new music distracting when listening for the dialogue, but the entire mood of the movie changed. It no longer is this serene melancholy movie that has a timeless quality.

Can I quickly mention how infantile the songs are in regards to how they are placed in the movie? Examples, when Ponyboy and Johnny are on the train there played a train song (I would have just preferred the sound of the train) or when Johnny was cutting Ponyboy's hair, how convenient- there plays a song about hair. There are other similar examples of how these songs were inserted into the scenes in such a literal and infantile manner.

There were a few paramount scenes that were left empty without music in this new version, where the original version used the original score. Like the Dally scene 'let's do it for Johnny!' and the touching scene with Johnny confiding in Ponyboy about how he didn't want to die- both scenes were denied the original score (at least we weren't subjected to the rockabilly music in the background at those moments).

The music and mood is so radically different that I can not continue to revisit this new version. If I want The Outsiders in my permanent collection then I will have to buy the original version- which is unfortunate as the added scenes show more of the close relationship between Ponyboy and Sodapop. Why couldn't Coppola add the new scenes and leave the existing ones alone?! Don't fix what ain't broken, right? But he fixed.... and he broke.

1.0 out of 5 stars Musical Travesty, November 30, 2005
I don't know if you could find a bigger fan of the original version of this film than me. I watched it almost every day growing up and can still repeat every line as I watch it today. I was so excited to see it on DVD but the movie was 100% spoiled by the new soundtrack. I am STUNNED at how many reviewers have said it is an improvement and how Coppola could have done this and thought it was good. The new music completely changes the tone of the entire film and removes all of the tension, drama and tragedy that are at the center of this movie. To replace the emotional soundtrack at key moments like the murder of the Soc, the rumble and Dally's run from the law with chipper surfer tunes is so confusing and jarring that I am no longer able to enjoy the film. This is a travesty and should never have been messed with - where can I find a VHS copy?

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold, March 21, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Outsiders (DVD)
This movie and novel are complete magic. I am turning 13 in 11 days and I read the novel when I was in 2nd grade! I reread it this year(7th grade) as required reading and then I remembered how magical it was. The friendships were created so well. Though, they forgot so many scenes, that I feel, is the only thing wrong with the movie. They forgot to tell about Sodapop and his girlfriend Sandy and why he was so upset, they forgot about Mickey Mouse(horse), the court scene, when Ponyboy passes out and is unconcious for days on hand! Though, I have heard that they may be releasing a Collector's Edition with deleted scenes and the works! Which I am very excited about. This movie has stayed gold through and through. Coppola had captured every character just about right. With the exception of Dallas Winston who should've had Blonde hair and icy blue eyes. Though Matt Dillon portrayed Dally just right. They didn't really describe the brotherly bond that Johnny and Dallas have or how Ponyboy feels that Darry only likes Soda. The movie is pure gold though. I could go on forever but I won't.

Please, please buy this extraordinary film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the 22 year wait !, September 21, 2005
I've waited 22 years to see this vesion of 'The Outsiders'. While I've always loved the film, I was quite aware that many scenes had been shot but not used in the film. The new beginning introduces the characters and establishes their relationship with one another early on. The new ending (sans the scene at the high school) actually did air on network television back in 1987 and that is the version I've watched ever since. Having it all together on DVD is a true wonder.

The new soundtrack is going to take some getting used to it. The Elvis songs work on every level, and the surfer music definitely works in certain scenes but not all of them. The new music tends to make the film more comparable to the JD films of the 1950's and that is OK by me, because as far as I'm concerned this is the best of the genre.

Even more wonderful than the new footage in the film are the extras! The documentary, auditions, tour of Tulsa with S.E. Hinton, and "additional scenes" are true treasures to own.

A few things to take note of; There is approximately 2 minutes of footage of Johnny Cade and Ponyboy Curtis in the church that is no longer in the movie, but it does appear in the "additional scenes" section. Also, I'm quite positive there was footage shot of Sodapop Curtis and his girlfriend Sandy as I remember seeing photos of him talking to her on a porch. In the book she moves away and a letter Soda sent her returns unopened, which prompts his outburst at the dinner table near the end. This probably should have been included in the "additional scenes" section too. That storyline was later used in 'The Outsiders' TV series in 1990.

I have no intention of getting rid of my original version of THE OUTSIDERS, but I forsee that this new special edition will be the one I view most often! If you are a fan of this movie most definitely check it out. Even if you are not won over by the new soundtrack and prefer the original, you have to admit it is a million times better than sitting around watching reality television!

4.0 out of 5 stars i want the original music score back!, June 15, 2006
This 2-disc set is fantastic....except one MAJOR problem. The decision to replace the original melodramatic score with more "up-beat" 50's rock 'n roll songs. Total mistake. It turns the entire mood of the film into more of a comedy than a drama. If you can get past the horrible new soundtrack, this is a great purchase. The extra 22 minutes of footage almost makes up for it.

Rate and Discover Movies