Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 15, 2013
Plop, the very young owl, instantly endeared himself to my 4 year old grandson who was fighting his fear of the dark. It started when Plop fell out of his tree rather than flying gracefully. What 4 year old can't indentify with awkwardness, fear, and being reluctant to share the depth of his fear with his parents for fear they might be disappointed in him. And the friends Plop met along the way to share the necessity and beauty of the night were warm and inviting as well as helpful. It was a kind and gentle story which my grandson and I delighted in sharing and discussing together.
on December 19, 2013
I have been reading this to my 1 year old son before bed, and he listens very well. It is a fun story, which keeps both him and I entertained. It is a chapter book, and a good book to transition from pictures to more words. Like another reviewer noted, the book does have some unique British English words - words that even I did not immediately understand.
on February 10, 2014
I enjoy this book. It's nice and long and gives my son time to fall asleep and stay that way. This isn't a book that your child will be able to read until they're several years old but it makes a great story to read for them.
on September 4, 2011
I bought this for my toddler who is afraid of the dark. I hadn't realized it was a chapter book and had considered returning it. However, my daughter saw it and wanted me to read it. I read a chapter to her each night--and she was riveted. It's a story she could relate to and had an adorable protagonist--that fluffy baby owl named Plop. She loved it. Though she's still afraid of the dark, it allowed her an opportunity to explore her feelings and talk about them. Be aware that it has a few words and phrases used throughout that are uniquely British and may require additional explanation for young people who speak American English or other English dialects.
on October 22, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The owl is afraid of the dark and wants to be a day bird. But then he meets a number of animals and people that share with him the excitement of night time and out his fears to rest. I only took off one star because the story about the old lady using night to remember her past was very saddening to me. I may skip reading that part to children because I do not think they will connect to it.

The book is separated in chapters so you can read it over many nights. I think it will be a good way to ease a child's fear of the dark... as long as the child knows they are no owl and are supposed to sleep at night while the owls roam.
on February 12, 2016
A very interesting little children's story about an owl who was afraid of the dark, and he visited other animals and people who loved the dark. Finally one night he got to see the dark as beautiful, and was ready to hunting with his Daddy Owl.
on December 27, 2014
I absolutely loved this book as a child, and couldn't wait to share it with my children. I had been disappointed so far to only find a shortened picture book version of it, but this is a reissue of the original text, albeit with new illustrations. Amazon seem to have mixed the reviews for both this new reissue and the shortened (less good) version. Rest assured, this is the proper one! My 7 year-old twins find it just as funny and entertaining as I did.
on September 8, 2015
A lovely book that my four year old son has not tired from yet. It is a chapter book with the occasional illustration (b/w) that needs to be read to him. Each chapter is a story in itself and is a joy - a great little book that will be loved by child and adult reader.
on June 5, 2011
I know this story from my childhood. It is a gentle story about a barn owl, Plop, who is afraid of the dark. Each chapter deals with a different element of dark. Modern children may find it quite slow, especially if read aloud. My seven year old enjoyed it, when she read it for herself. In fact finding short chapter books with interesting vocabulary is quite challenging, and this book fills the niche perfectly.

More suitable for girls than boys, buy it and put it on your child's bookshelf for them to read aloud. Suitable for a good reader age 6-9. There is less to interest boys.
on March 21, 2010
Jill Tomlinson, the brilliant author of this book -The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark- as well as quite a few others of a similar vein, must have mainlined her inner child when developing Plop, the main character in this wonderful story.

Plop is a young barn owl. Plop is a hungry, young barn owl. Plop is a hungry, young barn owl frightened of the dark, and Plop's poor, exhausted parents are at their wits end about the whole situation. Between hunting trips & way too few naps, Plops parents -rather than forcing him to face his fear unprepared- urge him to learn as much as he can about the dark. Plop achieves this by approaching a few of the characters who happen to be within sight of his nesting tree.

Wait a minute...I need to stop. There is no way I can even come close to summarizing this story for you that would do it the justice it so well deserves. Buy the book...really!

I will, however, say that this is one of the BEST children's stories I have EVER had the privlege of reading, let alone sharing with my child. My little girl (who is 7, as of today) is very much like Plop. She's intelligent, precocious, outgoing -and dare I say it?- a HOOT! And, also like Plop, she fears the dark. The story kept both of us interested the entire time, & we shared so many laughs! And, on the last night of the story my brave little girl asked me to turn off the light...

Whether you are looking for a book to help a child deal with this fear, or if you are just looking for a great book to read to (or with) a child, I'd say this book is a guaranteed WINNER! Buy the book!

I am looking forward to reading three other books by Jill Tomlinson I bought for my girl's birthday; the ones with the cat, the otter, and the aardvark. I have no doubt they were created with the same magic as this one. Check them out.

Enjoy!