Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 28, 2013
There's nothing wrong with this book, per se. It had a lot of good information, a lot of exercises to help people deal with any habits they may want to change, or thought processes to challenge.

But as someone newly diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin Resistance, I found that most of the information in this book is stuff I've already become intimately acquainted with over the 15 years I've struggled to lose weight because of the undiagnosed PCOS. If you're the kind of person who has done a lot of research about good nutrition, the benefits of exercise, the effects of stress, etc., and are already living a healthy lifestyle incorporating fresh foods, exercise, and you don't struggle with binge eating or body image (or maybe you've already had to deal with those issues in your own personal journey), this book may be of limited help to you.

I think this book would be best for someone who has realized that their current lifestyle needs to change, rather than someone who has already changed their lifestyle to be pretty austere and has done the corresponding homework along the way.
on December 4, 2009
No two women with PCOS have the same experience with the syndrome. However,there is one universal truth about PCOS that all women facing it share - it will affect their nutrition, ability to control stress, fertility, body image, and emotions. Enter Angela Grassi and Stephanie Mattei. Grassi, who previously wrote "The Dietician's Guide to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome" partnered with Stephanie Mattei to write "The PCOS Workbook" to help women explore and "challenge specific difficulties" of living with PCOS. One of the greatest pieces of information in the early pages of "The PCOS Workbook" is the simple entry entitled "How to Use The PCOS Workbook." In these few short pages, Grassi and Mattei outline what you will be experiencing in the book, chapter by chapter. The first chapter, "Connecting the Dots: Understanding Polycystic Ovary Syndrome" is followed by chapters focused on nutrition, stress, the issue of body image, mindful eating, coping with infertility, and finally the management of PCOS to prevent further medical complications. This book is a treasure-trove of information. Here's what's truly great about this book: Throughout each chapter, Grassi and Mattei have developed questions and lists relevant to each topic, with areas for you to write what is relevant to your PCOS experience. This is a WORKbook in every sense of the word. For example, you turn to page 101, in the Body Image and PCOS chapter, and you're asked to actually challenge your own myths about body image. The authors ask you to think about your environment, what you consider to be "truth" and "rules," and how you might self-blame. Then you're asked to think about what you were thinking about body image as you were going through the process of answering the previous questions. This book gets down to the nitty-gritty and helps you work through it all. "The PCOS Workbook" asks you to truly analyze your eating and exercise outines
and patterns, while at the same time providing more-than-enough detailed information about everything you will need to know about the disorder to be well-armed
when talking with your healthcare professionals. The charts Grassi and Mattei use help break the information down into easy-to swallow (no pun intended) bites
of PCOS knowledge. "The PCOS Workbook" is a resource I would recommend to any woman who wants to learn as much as possible about the syndrome, and about
themselves through the process. But be prepared, the Workbook will ask you to dig deep. In the back of the book a glossary is provided, as well as forms to
help you track your lab results, a food journal, online resources, a suggested PCOS food list, and even sample menus. The only addition to this book that would make it an even better resource would be more illustrations. As a publisher, I know that artwork, photos, etc., are pleasing to the eye and provide our reading
eyes a break occasionally. Grassi and Mattei have provided a thorough resource I think all women with PCOS should read.
on April 15, 2011
I have read many books on PCOS, but this one is my favorite. I like that, while it explores the topics of nutrition and exercise, that's not all it is; most books on PCOS I read throw out the same "eat better, exercise, and take metformin" mantra. Those things are helpful, but that's not all pcos is. The sections on stress and body image are fantastic, because unlike the (few) other books that even address these topics, PCOS Workbook does not simply say "reduce stress", but gives you concrete ways of doing so. The workbook format is wonderful because it forces you to interact and think about how to manage your symptoms instead of passively read. This would be GREAT for a support group, but if you're like me and live in a more rural area, this brings the support to you! I would recommend it to anyone with PCOS. This goes in my top three. For managing PCOS in general, this is the book. For more in depth dieting information, my favorite is The PCOS Diet Book by Collette Harris. For infertility, PCOS and Your Fertility by Collette Harris. All three have the same basic premises, but with a different focus, and all three are valuable resources.
on April 23, 2011
I was diagnosed with PCOS April 2011, the doctor that diagnosed me didn't explain the condition and was more interested in explaining the affects it had on me (The insulin resistance mostly). I was very confused and heartbroken at the prospect of having a condition that was considered "Infertility" and every website I checked made it sound as though having kids and losing weight was a lost cause.

My husband ordered this book for me and I'm extremely glad he did. I highly recommend it to anyone who's confused or scared or just needs comfort and hope. The author explains the condition in an easy to understand and comforting way, they make it clear just because you have PCOS doesn't mean the world is going to end. The book is full of diagrams and helpful information such as charts to keep track of your diets and what foods you should eat to lose weight, as well as the medication that your doctor could possibly put you on and what they do and what side affects are possible.

It was a great comfort to know that the symptoms I've felt and couldn't understand were a normal part of having PCOS and that I wasn't alone when it came to pain, hypoglycemia and jealousy and explained why when I dieted I gained weight instead of losing it.

I recommend this book to any woman with PCOS! You aren't alone and you shouldn't suffer alone.
on July 9, 2011
I have mild PCOS and I'm TTC. I was looking for a book that would tell me specifically what foods to limit amounts of, what types of exercises I should do, and how to slightly change my lifestyle to get rid of my PCOS. But I'm the type of person that likes to read and then inact the areas of my choice. This is indeed a workbook with lines so that you can write our your feelings and goals. It's probably really good if you are dedicated enough to do that, but I'm not.
on May 24, 2014
I have been taking medicine for PCOS for years and have worked with several excellent endocrinologists who have helped me manage my condition. However, I never really understood PCOS... how it impacted my body, how my diet and habits impact it, etc. I am naturally stubborn and pretty cantankerous when it comes to people telling me what to do, and so while I took my medication I never really did anything else to manage PCOS because I didn't know how important it really was to change my diet/exercise/habits. In the first chapter of this book, my attitude totally changed. I feel like I finally get PCOS and how it impacts me, and now know what I can do about it. It was empowering, informative, and positive. I feel like it gave me good direction, and most importantly, told me how/why my diet, medications, habits, etc. matter in managing PCOS--it was very thorough in providing rationale and presented all the information clearly. I'm not really a "workbook" person (again, cantankerous) but the way it took you through each chapter, building on the information from the previous chapter, was excellent. It's really a great, holistic resource on PCOS. My endocrinologist recommended this book to me and I would definitely recommend it to all women with PCOS.
on December 30, 2014
I was diagnosed with pcos a little under 2 years ago after trying to get pregnant for 2 years. Since then I have done a ton of research and talked to a lot of doctors. When I saw this book I wasn't sure I would learn anything new but k went for it anyway. I learned something new in the first chapter. It gives a great explication of what pcos is. I love the workbook features from charts to keep track of blood work to a place to write down questions. If your reading this review I say get the book you won't be disappointed.
on October 31, 2011
I was expecting a lot more information than was in this book. Everyone I've spoken to had raved about the quality of this book. I decided to order it and I'm a little disappointed. Honestly, you can find much of this information online for free. In addition, the journal aspect just seemed redundant. Overall, this book was just not a good fit for me. If you've just been diagnosed and have many basic questions and don't want to have to search online, you'll like this book.
on October 27, 2013
I bought this to help my daughter understand this syndrome and how to live with it. So far it has been informative and helped her to understand that a lot of what she is going through is not her fault. This is a very good book for the newly diagnosed to get a handle on PCOS.
on December 19, 2010
Being recently diagnosed with PCOS, I have been looking for information about the syndrome. My doctor is not well versed in this area, but she gave me some websites to go to for more info. I haven't read many books on PCOS< but I have done a lot of internet research. There is something about having to process your thoughts and write them down in a workbook that just helps you internalize the information provided. Though I'm still having a hard time dealing with all the complications and such, I'm glad this book was recommended to me. Excellent way to deal with your emotions while getting some wonderful information.