Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on bgg

Format: PaperbackChange

on December 18, 2011
When I was in engineering school there were some professors who were very, very smart but they were lousy teachers. There were also professors who did an excellent job of teaching and they made teaching look easy. Loren Cordain is an excellent teacher. I've read two of his books, now. His books have significantly more technical detail than any other book I've read on nutrition (I've read dozens) and yet it's all VERY easy to understand. It seems that every popular book on nutrition contains some testimonials and I'd like to share my own testimonial.

I read Loren Cordain's first book, "The Paleo Diet" in 2004. I started following the diet right away and lost weight. Then I got lazy and went back to eating the standard American diet (SAD). In 2007 I had blood work done and my doctor alerted me to the fact that my liver enzymes were elevated. They did an ultrasound test and found nothing seriously wrong with my liver. I was relieved but still concerned about the health of my liver. I'm no doctor but surely the liver is a vital organ. Don't ask me why but I still kept eating the SAD diet. My doctor drew my blood every six months for the next two-and-one-half years. Each and every time my liver enzymes were elevated. Last year I decided to follow a strict paleo diet. After 10 weeks I had lost thirty pounds and my liver enzymes were in the normal range. As a side benefit the acne on my back, which I had for decades, had completely disappeared. I hate to use hyperbole but the paleo diet is damn-near miraculous.

If you are new to the paleo diet concept you should keep something in mind. The paleo diet is not an "invention" but actually a discovery of what humans ate for millions of years. The paleo diet mimics the diet "designed" for us by the evolutionary process. Because this "diet" has been a way of life for millions of years it's ironic that some people call paleo a "fad" diet.

I've given Loren Cordain five stars for this book but I have one minor nit-pick. He could have included a paragraph or two about the significant health benefits of pasture-raised (grass-fed) meat. His first book did a very good job of this and that's where I learned about This website has very good information about the health benefits of pasture-raised meat, poultry and eggs. Feed lot beef, poultry and eggs are crap and I try to avoid it. At the time of my first reading of Cordain's first book it was difficult to find pasture-raised meat and eggs. In the last few years it has become much easier to find. Pasture-raised beef can be found at every Whole Foods Market.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
Among the crop of paleo/primal/ancestral health books, this one earns a place on my top five ranking. It has useful and up-to-date discussions of specific disease conditions and their relationships to nutrition. Since the Paleo Answer is brand-new, it also has the advantage of being able to cite new research since Good Calories, Bad Calories (GCBC) came out.

The book is almost entirely about nutrition. It mentions other lifestyle issues, but only in short treatments, so do not expect the kind of wide-spectrum discussion of lifestyle at the depth available in the Primal Blueprint. I thought the sub-title was misleading. This is not a play-by-play gimmicky diet program. It is a useful applied science book (and sure, if you stop eating nasty toxins, of course you'll feel better in a few days!).

The chapter on vegetarianism/veganism is notably solid and might be useful to recommend to vegetarians and vegans. Moral issues are touched on, but what Cordain really wants to make fully clear in this chapter, and I think he slam-dunks it, is that seeking better health is not one of the reasons to be a vegetarian/vegan [Steve Jobs, RIP].

It is nice to see an author who openly changes his mind and Cordain is quite clear on points on which new evidence or understandings have led him to do so in the past few years. The discussion of vitamin supplements is important. Cordain argues that the most recent studies are trending to indicate that most supplements are somewhere between useless and harmful, but D and fish oil appear to remain positive. I thought his personal stories fit with the content and add to the book (rather than being mere ego digressions), I particularly liked the story related to obtaining clean water.

The chapter on dairy showed some logical weakness. All of the evidence it cites is from studies of cow milk drinking, but the author generalizes those conclusions to all dairy products. I have had very negative experiences with milk drinking and stopped years ago, but no (noticeable) negatives with cheeses and heavy cream. Clearly there is a major difference created with the separation into cream/butter and the bio-processing involved in cheesemaking. I'm not saying those products are thereby cleared of suspicion, just that they are clearly different in their effects from milk itself and need to be addressed as such. I thought it was a black mark on the logic of the book that this distinction was not addressed at all in the dairy chapter and that conclusions based on milk studies alone were generalized to all dairy products.

Another weakness is the repeated reference to "lean" meats as being recommended. I'm not sure what this is about, but I guess it might be a kind of subconscious artifact leftover from the habit of bowing to anti-fat hysteria. Fat is the primary target of predators and ranks above lean meat in priority of consumption. Traditional societies eat the whole animal and your fellow hunters would certainly be horrified if you started tossing out the fat components of the kill in favor of boring old chunks of dry muscle! Treatments of fat in the Primal Blueprint and GCBC seem to be superior.

Above this on my current nutrition/health rankings are only three volumes: The Primal Blueprint, GCBC, and The Paleo Solution. In sum, that leaves a lot of other volumes in this genre that I am ranking below this one (I've gotten good specific insights from a lot of other books, but the quality and reliability of the advice is much more spotty). I would definitely include The Paleo Answer in a top-five reading program in this area.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2012
For many years prior to 2004, I bought into conventional wisdom regarding diet and nutrition and ate lots of whole grains, as did many of my acquaintances who were striving for good health. The results were disastrous across the board: weight gains, gastrointestinal problems, skin problems, atherosclerosis, insulin resistance, autoimmunity and more, a cascade of unaccountable chronic issues. We could not understand how we could be eating such "healthy whole grain goodness" and yet become so sick and fat. Dr. Cordain's original pioneering Paleo Diet book led many of us, including me, to greatly improved health. The science that has been unfolding since has essentially all been pointing in one direction, supporting Dr. Cordain's theories. The scientific support is so strong that you see little of the back and forth, the contradictory study results, that usually accompany unfolding science in peer reviewed journal articles. Yet as always seems to be the case, few of those practicing medicine or nutrition in the trenches seem to have recognized the truths and effectiveness of the principles.

The Paleo Answer is a much welcome update to The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet for Athletes. Several years ago, I'd suggested such an update and was told it was in the works. The original book, The Paleo Diet, good as it was, contained some understandable errors of the time that needed revision, such as the suggestion to use flaxseed oil for cooking, when flaxseed oil is far too fragile for that purpose.

Dr. Cordain tends to be a relative purist when it comes to paleo diet principles, and many readers will be daunted when they read the new book and find that so many of their favorite foods are seriously deleterious. Yet there is sound science backing up Dr. Cordain's assertions, and it all makes great sense when you consider that the foods that science documents as deleterious are those that would have had no place in human diet during the eons over which the human race developed. Other authors and proponents of primal diets tend to compromise more in terms of accommodation for popular conventional foods such as dairy, nightshades, and legumes. I've endeavored to follow the science as reported in journals preceding Dr. Cordain's new book and so far as I can see, he gets the science right, and more important, it works in practice, in real life application.

Following Cordain's relatively strict paleo diet principles, I lost 35 excess pounds in about six months and have not gained any of it back in the 6 years that have since passed. I eat as much in terms of food quantity as I feel like and I never have a problem feeling excessively hungry, so the weight loss and maintenance have been relatively effortless so long as I limit my food selections to those that fit the Paleo profile. GI problems disappeared, skin rashes cleared, obstructive sleep apnea resolved, cardiac arrhythmias normalized, and a recent electron beam coronary artery scan showed a calcium score of zero in my coronary arteries, no measurable arterial plaque. Yet years prior, even conventional CT scans showed mild arterial calcium buildup.

The diet and lifestyle can be especially beneficial for those tending toward autoimmune disorders, lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's, scleroderma, autoimmune hepatitis, autoimmune thyroid disease, and others. The few autoimmune patients that I know of who have been willing to institute Cordain's Paleo principles strictly have had exceptional improvements and sometimes complete resolution of all symptoms and signs. Without question, a considerable amount of diligence, study, effort, and expense are involved in maintaining a strict paleo diet and lifestyle. Most restaurant fare and most quickly prepared processed foods are off limits. For many of us, myself included, great efforts must be made to avoid consuming even the tiniest amount of wheat gluten at the risk of provoking a return of symptoms that can last a couple of weeks.

In the big picture of things, we can look at the history of medical science and see that in the period between 1900 and 1960, many acute and infectious diseases were conquered. But since then, in terms of real results, there have been few breakthroughs that treat patients truly effectively for chronic diseases such as heart disease, autoimmune disorders, diabetes or asthma. Incidence of many of those disorders is actually increasing. Something has been missing in the focus of all the admirable science that has been directed at those disorders, possibly because so much has been focused on developing profitable patentable "pills" to provide relief. Dr. Cordain is leading the way to what are and will be a new series of breakthroughs in avoiding and treating disabling chronic diseases. Relief will not be as simple as popping a pill, and only a relative few will be willing to make the considerable effort and to sustain it indefinitely. But the rewards for them will be well worthwhile.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2012
This outstanding book is a must read for anyone interested in staying healthy or who is battling common auto-immune conditions or other common chronic diseases. Using a combination of evolutionary biology, solid scientific research, empiric science and common sense, Dr. Cordain masterfully moves us away from the toxic Food Pyramid and My Plate dietary recommendations promoted by the Federal Government and FDA. It's about time. As a Primary Care Physician with over 30 years of clinical experience, I know that appropriate dietary changes are the most potent treatment modality available to us in our battle against auto-immune and anti-inflammatory diseases and a long list of common medical problems including insulin resistance, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and many cancers. Despite all the major advances in technology and medications over the past 50 years, a healthy diet continues to trump all these treatments and Dr. Cordain concisely and precisely shows you the way to achieve the perfect diet.

As physicians, we are taught virtually nothing about nutrition in medical school and what we do learn is often based on flawed science. Thus most physicians are in the same boat as the general public--if they want to learn about nutrition, they are on their own. With the plethora of books available on diet and nutrition, you can read just about anything you want about what makes a healthy diet. Unfortunately most of this information is built on a house of sand with little science to back it up. Dr. Cordain has devoted his career to looking at what solid science has to say on the subject, and what he has found is nothing short of astounding. He has almost single handedly turned the world of nutritional science on its head. Forget what you know about healthy eating and read this book--you won't regret it.

For years I have had an interest in Neuroscience, especially the interface between food and brain function. There is emerging evidence that many common brain disorders such as depression, autism, ADHD, anxiety disorders, PTDS, eating disorders, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder II, irritable bowel syndrome, restless leg syndrome and others are strongly tied to the ingestion of certain types of foods. We also believe that all these conditions are tied together in a disease process called Carbohydrate Associated Reversible Brain syndrome (CARB syndrome). After treating thousands of patients with these conditions over the years, I am absolutely convinced that the Paleo diet outlined in this book is essentially a cure for many patients. Without proper dietary changes, medications do very little over the long term to improve the lives of patients with these common brain disorders.

"The Paleo Answer" is now the most potent treatment in my little black bag and I am thankful that an academic researcher of Dr. Cordain's stature has taken the time to share his insights with the medical profession and general public. I strongly recommend that you take advantage of this gift by reading his book.
on January 12, 2012
I highly recommend this book. About the only criticism I give of it is for what it omits which I'll mention shortly. I was introduced to Paleodiet by Ray Audette's fascinating "Neanderthin" which completely changed my diet from that point onward. This was reinforced after reading Dr. Cordain's original version of "The Paleo Diet" and recently the updated version. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the paleo principles (except for a couple of cheats, namely a hot cocoa in the morning and a 100 calorie dark chocolate snack bar from TJ's :).

Through reading both versions I noticed that Dr.Cordain has modified his stance on several food items such as canola oil and saturated fat. Also, potatoes (which I didn't realize were a nightshade) are no longer grouped categorically as a typical tuber - like sweet potatoes or yams now paleo approved by him. Some might say he is inconsistent, but I admire this is open-mindedness for changing ideas because evaluations should change in light of new scientific findings.

The Paleo Answer appears to pick up on assorted issues that Dr. Cordain did not expound upon in "The Paleo Diet". This includes the dangers of vegetarianism (esp. veganism), the not so cute milk mustache idea, trouble with beans and grains, and potato/tomato no-no's. He breaks ground in his paleodiet discussion of the AGEs theory - which some consider as important as anti-oxidant theory. His last two chapters are devoted to women and children but are worth reading by anyone.

As I mentioned above, I was only disappointed on several topics not discussed. A basic paleo premise criticizes the antinutrients of the Standard American Diet (SAD). but Dr. Cordain is all but silent on the notable amount of phytates found in nuts? It won't do to argue ad ignorantiam that we don't know much about the phytates (or lectins for that matter) of nuts so maybe they're okay? And where is the line between nuts and seeds and grains? Although considered a grain, sorghum is a seed, and alleged to be without lectins. And speaking of seeds, omega 3 rich milled flaxseed is another topic absent from discussion in "The Paleo Answer". I also wondered about his take on the finding that fossilized food including barley which was found stuck in paleolithic people's teeth? Are we to just brush it aside with an ad hoc explanation that it was isolated, or do we change the temporal paleo template? Hopefully Dr. Cordain will tackle these topics in another book. Perhaps he could top off a trilogy of books with his next volume dedicated to solely to FAQs such as I have asked.

I was also disappointed by his treatment of supplements. Elsewhere Dr. Cordain is very open minded to other's ideas on nutrition unless it leads to poor health involving lectins and the like. However, in this chapter he seems to wear blinders on the topic of supplements since our ancestors didn't use them. He also doesn't approve of them because some people use dosages too high - but surely someone using an optimal level is right on target? The "paleo template" (paleo theory or model) seems hinder his acceptance of supplements - which can enhance one's nutrition. In "The Paleo Diet" he deftly combines a meal containing adequate amounts of all nutrients. But is it practical to do this for meals everyday? I don't think so.

Since Dr. Cordain uses the potential danger of folic acid as a showcase to criticize supplements, I'd like to point out that recent research (2011) from Stevens and others published in Gastroenterology concluded that "Intake of high levels of total folate reduces risk of colorectal cancer; there is no evidence that dietary fortification or supplementation with this vitamin increases colorectal cancer risk." I should add that Dr. Cordain distinguishes between folic acid and folate (the natural form of the vitamin in food) and does correctly identify that folic acid seems to have harmful effects. The reader may be aware that folate like folic acid, is also readily available as a supplement.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2011
I'ma huge fan of Paleo and have read all the books that have been circulating mainstream for awhile. Even though a lot of things have already been said before this book provides me with that much needed research element that justifies the nutrtition! Great for people new to paleo, I believe it is comprehensive and enoyable to read. Paleo is not a diet it is a lifestyle and Dr. Cordain helps you to undestand why.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The modern-day father of the Paleo Diet movement is Professor Loren Cordain. We all owe a great deal of gratitude for the work of Professor Cordain on the popularity of the Paleo diet that is happening in America and around the world in recent years. Through his thorough research of the diet and lifestyle of Paleolithic man, we have learned so much about how modern man should be feeding himself and doing to be optimally healthy.

Over a decade after the release of his landmark book The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat, Cordain is back with a brand new book that is essentially Paleo 2.0 called "The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young." In this book, he explores the topic of saturated fat which he has been heavily criticized for allegedly eschewing and sets the record straight once and for all. He also says this is the first book that identifies the "antinutrient" foods in a clear and concise manner to describe grains, beans, and potatoes.

This book will open the eyes of some Paleo and low-carb followers who choose to eat a certain way as part their Paleo diet. It's not always as cut-and-dry as you might think, so READ THIS BOOK for better clarity on what Professor Cordain is talking about when he describes the Paleo diet.

Check out what Dr. Loren Cordain shares about Paleo 2.0 in his new 2012 book:

- Why he thinks there has been a resurgence in Paleo in recent years
- People eating fresh unprocessed real food will improve their health
- Paleo is "new green movement" because it's "good for the planet"
- There are no middle men when you eat a Paleo low-carb diet
- The factory farming is probably destroying the planet
- Local animal meat is sustainable and green-friendly
- Pastured eggs from a local farm are far superior with hard shells
- The "expense of processed foods" is astronomical (i.e. cereal)
- The "middle men are cleaning up" making brightly-colored boxes
- Science is realizing there is "an evolutionary basis for diet"
- Why he discussed saturated fat in a whole chapter of his new book
- The macronutrient ratio of hunter-gathers dominated by protein/fat
- Average saturated fat in hunter-gatherer diet was 15% of calories
- You shouldn't eat saturated fat with refined carbohydrates
- The problem with the Paleo Diet is there is no definition of it
- His book allows for a wide variety of interpretations of Paleo
- We don't live in a Stone Age world and options are available to us
- People should "listen to their body" and respond accordingly
- You cannot be vegetarian and be on a Paleo diet
- Why he's no fan of consuming dairy on a regular basis
- His 85/15 rule for allowing in discretionary foods now and again
- People with autoimmune disease need to be "very compliant" on diet
- Cut off the "black parts" of the meat to cut your AGEs
- Eat a poached egg instead of a fried one to lower AGEs
- He enjoys eating his meat rare and keeps AGEs naturally low
- This is probably the first book written about "antinutrients"
- Potatoes have a high glycemic load and they are not safe for health
- Potatoes spike glucose and insulin wreaking havoc on health
- The multiple antinutrients that have been discovered in potatoes
- If you have irritable bowel syndrome, potatoes are awful
- Potatoes will "punch holes into the membranes of the intestines"
- An increase in inflammation occurs from consuming potatoes
- Chronic low-level inflammation happens in the body
- When gut flora get exposed it increases intestinal permeability
- When system inflammation is lowered it improves all diseases
- Why he doesn't teach out of a textbook, but the science journals
- Paleo diet is driven by what our species is genetically made to eat
- Whole grains, dairy, and legumes were never meant to be consumed
- Whole grains are "a lousy source of micronutrients" to eat
- He's merely pointing out the obvious based on the science
- USDA's MyPlate promotes "vegan dieting" and eliminates food groups
- Milk is a horrible food source for getting Vitamin D
- Consuming the recommended 600 IU of Vitamin D is worthless
- You need at least 2,000 IU of Vitamin D to raise blood levels
- Sunlight and supplements are the best way to get adequate Vitamin D
- Why you should try to avoid soybean oil used in supplements
- The "luxury" of adding all the scientific references in this book
- Over 3,000 references are included in "a coherent manner"
- He "let the data speak for itself" and not dogmatic beliefs
- The "labor of love" that went into referencing the book
- The currency of science is language that people don't understand
- He attempted to make this easy to understand for consumers
- The 7-day Paleo diet plan included in the book to get started
- Customization of the Paleo diet for women and for children
- Pregnant women can't take in as much protein
- There's information in the book for women wanting to get pregnant
- It shows women how to avoid gestational diabetes
- He has three "strapping, healthy" kids who all grew up Paleo
- Only "a half dozen dental carries" among the three kids
- People don't have to deal with "lifelong maladies" on Paleo
- You don't have to be "a food nazi" to keep kids eating well
- Exposing kids to quality foods makes them prefer it
- His kids' friends who visit enjoy eating the Paleo foods

For those of you who have read The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat and thought you knew how to do Paleo well, you gotta read THE PALEO ANSWER to see all the latest info from the guy who helped popularize this lifestyle change!
on January 14, 2012
This book is an overdue update to Dr. Cordain's classic previous work "The Paleo Diet" which greatly accelerated the concept of applying the sciences of evolutionary biology and anthropology to contemporary nutrition.

In short, Dr. Cordain provides a scientific guiding principle that humans ate, exercised and slept in specific patterns for well over a million years. Then, a comparatively recently 10,000 years ago, the agricultural revolution dramatically altered these patterns. These patterns have been dramatically altered, again, in the past 50 years with the addition of man made preservatives, colorings, favor enhancers, processing and storage techniques. Consequently, the diet that we consider "normal" bares little resemblance to what our bodies are engineered to function upon. Dr. Cordain goes on to assert this is the primary underlying cause for the "first world diseases" of cancer, heart disease, obesity, etc.

I find this argument compelling.

In this update, Dr. Cordain demonstrates how the principles in "The Paleo Diet" have been validated in the past decade. He also makes some corrections and changes his position on a few issues where the studies have not backed his previous assertions.

The best chapters are those that deal with vegetarianism and dairy.

Dr. Cordain documents in great detail the deficiencies of vegetarianism, and demonstrates how this could not possibly be a diet upon which humans were designed to live.

I found the chapter on dairy to be similarly enlightening and disturbing. I have traditionally described myself as "soft on dairy" when it comes to my personal approach to paleo nutrition. This chapter of book has me reexamining my own approach to the role dairy plays in my diet.

Highly recommended!
on February 27, 2013
I was given this book through serendipity, and because I was curious, I dived in. I had heard very casually (probably a newspaper snippet) about the Paleo Diet a few years ago, but like everybody else thought, great, another diet book. I'm fit and reasonably healthy for a slightly used ex-athlete in his 60's; I don't need a new `diet'. Yet, within an hour, this book changed my life, and I hadn't even had my first paleo lunch. The information in this book unexpectedly slammed together in my scientist (botanist) brain so many aspects of both my professional experience (I KNOW plants) and my personal life (tummy aches, acne, arthritis, skepticism, a once-upon-a-time vegetarian), that I was truly gobsmacked beyond comprehension when I realized what was being presented here. I probably physically staggered a bit when I got up to move along. The implications alone, if this stuff was right, were orders of magnitude beyond staggering. Yet, there it was, all that data, those connected dots, that compendium of biochemistry and statistics right before my eyes to contemplate, to absorb, to try to comprehend.

Having now been a cave man (reformed my diet to paleo guidelines) for 9 months, my health has improved dramatically, I'ved ticked off most of my family and friends by being so `enthusiastic' about it, and I've now bought a bunch more copies for anyone I know who will keep an open mind and.... No, wait, excuse me, most people have lost their presumed `open minds', and they illustrate this by blindly believing pretty much everything the FDA says about nutrition. Now, I ask you all, for what other department(s) of government do you believe all of what they say, every word, every time, all the time? Right.

Having read the other reviews of this book, I must say, all those who have even one word of negativity give themselves away as obviously not having taken the paleo step (or maybe old cave men just get jaded, ornery, and need something new). Further, they clearly do not appreciate the science and research that Dr. Cordain has compiled and synthesized. Befitting a good scientist, his naivete shows in the blunder of calling it a `diet' book. We all have a diet. Rather than say here's a(nother) diet, why not a more accurate title, like "The Food You Are Eating Is Trying To Kill You, subtitle: And If You Were A Mouse, Insect, or Fungus, It Probably Would Have Succeeded By Now" ? For me, the overall concept and breadth of detail that IS presented easily trumps and dwarfs any of the author's perceived "sloppiness", omissions, repetition, inconsistencies, lack of .... etc. I really don't care about what isn't covered or the fact that any one topic might be glossed over (there are so many worthy tidbits); the stuff that is discussed, is mind-blowing. Anyway, if you're hung up on the perceived messiness of the book itself, you're totally missing the point.

As a scientist myself, and a life-long non-conformist and general skeptic, I was not prepared to be so turned upside down by mere words on the page, especially when it might involve my beloved homemade sourdough bread and pizza. But the science was there, and as I read more, I found myself holding a mirror to my inherent skepticism and focusing it on some of the `conventional wisdoms' so thoroughly engrained in the teaching of human nutrition (e.g., potatoes allowed whole populations to survive; whole grains are better than stripped versions; milk is good for you). The scientist in me was immediately intrigued and wanted to pursue this further and determine if he was on to something or just manipulating numbers. Personally, I was at least a little bit tantalized by the prospect of reducing my psoriasis and/or arthritis. I changed my diet immediately, and even with minor weekly `cheating', the results for me have been nothing short of astounding. My total cholesterol has dropped 72 points (and I eat meat and 3 eggs EVERY day) and the rest of my bloodwork (triglycerides, blood sugar, homocysteine) has likewise improved dramatically. At 5 foot 7 and 145 pounds, I never thought of myself as needing to lose any weight, but I still lost 8 pounds the first week, in spite of eating at every meal until I felt truly full, and have stabilized around 133; well, at least before Thanksgiving. I no longer need or crave coffee, and I can drive/work/hike/play all day and not feel drowsy. I sleep better, but much less. And yes, lo and behold, my psoriasis and arthritis are essentially gone. My resting heart rate is 46 and BP is 102/53. I honestly feel like I'm 20-something again, and I awaken every morning with a gentle `pop' and a giant grin, giddy to start the day feeling so good. Yes, yes, too trite, I know..... but absolutely true.

As a scientist, I won't guarantee anything, but I can assure you that all of the testimonials for this diet are true. Just don't expect your doctor or government "experts" to agree with this totally radical approach. I say to them, very simply: "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it". The rest of you, should you wish to see how your body and mind function without the constant added stress and strain of a whacked out immune system and copious inflammation, step right up to the fountain of youth. I felt significantly better by Day 3. And for the record, I predict Dr. Cordain is awarded a Nobel prize for his brilliant work. Just don't expect that either from the current crop of 'experts' who refuse to remove their heads from where the sun don't shine. Maybe they could use a little more fiber in their diet.

So, if you're concerned about sloppiness, inconsistencies, or readability, maybe you're just not intellectually curious enough to get through the book (much less put in into action), because the material presented in this book is so powerful on its own, even if not presented in a perfect manner, that all those negative comments and complaints become just so much inconsequential gravel under the tires of anyone who actually accelerates out onto this superhighway to better health.

Still don't want the book? Fine, I'll provide a couple of free take-away tidbits:

Milk (cheese/ice cream/etc.) is simply filtered cow's blood, complete with bovine estrogen, bovine insulin, and numerous bovine growth factors. Nice if you are a newborn calf or a cancer cell.

Grains cause inflammation. Chronic inflammation leads to high cholesterol and heart disease. Whole grains do it faster. Google Dr. Dwight Lundell along with `inflammation' and read his description of inflammation in your arteries. Wince.

Uncooked lima beans can kill you.

I've learned a great deal after reading this book, not the least of which was a life changing modification of my diet, but also the incredible resistance people have to different ways of looking at things. As a previous review said, you can offer people the fountain of youth, and because they are so jaded, harried, and in general rightfully skeptical/pessimistic, many would walk away, their blind skepticism obscuring the `answer' when its right there in front of them, simple in concept and free for the trying.

It's your health. What are you waiting for?
on February 1, 2013
This book has all the hallmarks of 'let's put out a new book to make more money while the diet's still hot.' It is poorly edited and fails to deliver even the 7-day prescriptive diet advertised on the cover. One day of the diet is missing two meals. That turns out not to be a great loss, though, since many of the meals that are provided are simply the names of recipes you can make - if you buy the author's cookbook.

I think the Paleo diet has a lot going for it, but this book is not worth the money - at any price.