While you all have waited patiently for years as Dr. Sarah Ballantyne wrote The Paleo Approach, I was lucky enough to begin following her protocol well before it was available to the public. I started my journey on healing when Practical Paleo first came out and I started with the methodologies Diane put forth for autoimmune conditions (autoimmune protocol: AIP)...
Published 5 months ago by Stacy & Matt, the Paleo Parents

1.0 out of 5 stars Marketing gimmick to make publisher rich
I'm beginning to think the publisher is faking ratings on their books, or maybe patients of Sarah Ballantyne are grateful but haven't actually read the book.

Published 3 months ago by Erik Seeger

5.0 out of 5 stars How The Paleo Approach Saved My Health (after years of low-carb paleo), January 28, 2014
This review is from: The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body (Paperback)

Problem was, after following the AIP for nearly 3 months I wasn't seeing healing. Some of the super negative symptoms were alleviated, like adrenal fatigue, clumps of hair falling out and terrible acne, but when I reintroduced foods I would get flares again. I distinctly remember it being SO. HARD. Like, temper tantrums in the car hard because everything, EVERYTHING I was used to eating had eggs or nightshades and I was overwhelmed at the idea of living the rest of my life that way. All of which contributed to my ongoing struggles with depression - the obsession with food was beginning to overwhelm me, it was starting to cause disordered eating again, as I looked for ways to "get around" the AIP.

I was so frustrated, I began talking with Sarah about what her thoughts and recommendations were. It was at this time that Sarah was hundreds of thousands of words deep into writing The Paleo Approach (no, seriously, it's a tome). There were a few things she shared with me about what she found in the scientific literature about recommendations she was going to make, versus things I'd read in Practical Paleo and other resources.

And so it began, in 2013 I started following The Paleo Approach. Mostly this meant that I focused more on what to add to my diet instead of what to remove from it. Sarah and I talked every week on The Paleo View and nearly each episode each one of us would get more and more geeked out on nutrient-density, our new favorite word. We began exploring healing foods; Matt and I became so inspired that we wrote the nose-to-tail cookbook, Beyond Bacon - almost every recipe of which includes bone stock and/or lard (high in Vitamin D and easy for me to digest).

I'd been following a low-fat, low-carb version of paleo for years. Turns out, it made me sick. It affected my adrenals, thyroid function, and ability for my body to heal itself. I was nutrient-poor, despite eating what I thought was the best diet possible. Perhaps for some people eating that way is healthy for them, but for me as a busy woman with no gallbladder and previous metabolic syndrome, it ended up as a disaster long-term. Turns out, a high protein diet (especially when the protein is mostly poultry) wasn't doing what I thought it was for my health. I got over my fear of fat and incorporated more nutrient-dense healing fats, specifically lard, coconut oil and ghee/butter (I was shocked how well I tolerated ghee and butter after a lifetime of being dairy intolerant). I switched my proteins to a majority of grass-fed red meat and pastured pork, added seafood and incorporated the true superfoods: organ meat and bone broth.

One of the things I learned from Sarah is the importance of vegetables. I've popularized #morevegetablesthanavegetarian in social media - but it was Sarah's focus on the importance of vegetables - specifically a variety of colorful ones - that really made me focus on them. For a while, I'd actually reduced the types of vegetables I was eating because I wanted to stay away from foods high in insoluble fiber - which I personally let affect the quantity of veggies I was eating. When Sarah told me she had research that greens rich in insoluble fiber, even cruciferous ones, showed to be positive healing foods from her research it was a big change in how I approached nourishing myself. As I started adding in much more vegetables, especially leafy greens, it was amazing how much it affected my digestion and how I felt.

From the prior AIP protocol I was already consuming fermented foods rich in probiotics, which is another big important factor in helping to heal the gut through food. So then I turned to lifestyle factors.

I learned to love myself and let things go. I know... it's hokey. And intangible. And something I can't possibly define for you to replicate... although I've tried to articulate it a zillion times on The Paleo View. Stress Management was defined and something I began when I first started Practical Paleo`s AIP. But it's not something one can fix overnight. Over time, and through Sarah's repeated reminders of the scientific backing behind stress being a leading causes of health deterioration, I learned how to slay the stress monster.

First, I gave myself permission to do something(s) for me. Without guilt or remorse. It was really hard in the beginning to know I was missing out on time I could (or as I thought, should) be doing: helping with dinner, spending time with the kids, staying later at the office, etc. But then I realized I deserve to take care of the only body I'll have to carry me through this life. My children deserve a role model to show them that sometimes it's OK to stop and put the gas mask on yourself before helping others - I learned to take care of myself first before putting others ahead of me. This, was huge.

I learned to breathe. There was a point at which my stress levels had caused an eye twitch I couldn't get rid of for months. And I had begun grinding my teeth and experiencing frequent headaches from it. I even had about a 6 week period of time where I was experiencing frequent anxiety attacks in crossfit, unable to breathe when something ended up being harder than I anticipated. It made me want to quit, and I've never been a quitter. It was at this time Sarah talked to me about relaxation techniques she highly encouraged. It was so bizarre for this scientist to be telling me to do some hokey-pokey-crunchy-granola-meditation... but she was right. My body was overwhelmed and needed a break. So several times a day I intentionally stood up and walked around the office, finding someone to smile with and change my environment while activating happy hormones. During crossfit I learned to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth with deep, intentional breaths. Soon, the twitching and anxiety attacks just went away!

I learned to let things go. This was the hardest for me and is something I'm still actively working on. I talk out loud about what I can or cannot do. It's about acknowledgement, doing what you're able the best you can, and then forgiveness. What a concept... all backed by science to help you be healthier!

Be positive! No, really. Of course not everything's great. But almost everything has something positive about it. So I learned to frame things to myself positively and it helped me have an overall positive outlook and attitude.

Sarah goes over LOTS more stuff in The Paleo Approach but these are the things that I personally applied to my own life.
The results?

I've resolved ALL of the autoimmune related health issues I experienced in 2011 and 2012.

Let me restate that, because I want to make sure it's heard. I no longer have symptoms of autoimmune disease, adrenal fatigue, micro-nutrient deficiencies, skin breakouts or depression (at all). My body has not only recovered fully from the autoimmune flare, but I've actually been able to heal my body even further - now able to consume foods like high quality heavy cream and cheeses without distress! And when accidentally exposed to gluten or intentionally eat things I know my body has a difficult time with (like nightshades or grains) I find each and every time my body responds better than the time before. I have successfully reintroduced nuts, seeds, chocolate, egg yolks and seed spices (all in moderation) but have found that egg whites and nightshade vegetables (except peeled white potatoes) are something I can not (yet) tolerate.

I plan to continue my healing journey and hope to be a role model for those out there with autoimmune conditions. Keeping in mind that 2 years ago I was depressed with barely enough energy to slog through the day (thyroid and adrenal issues), I now am a fully charged woman who manages this blog, a podcast, writing books, a full-time job, raising 3 boys AND am training for a StrongMan competition in just a few months. I'm happy to report that The Paleo Approach quite literally gave me my life back.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm healthy today thanks to Sarah's protocol!, January 28, 2014
For anyone with an autoimmune disease, this is the most incredible gift from heaven you could ever wish for. It is the most thoroughly researched, detailed and comprehensive roadmap for recovery. Seriously, this book is going to change thousands of lives, and that is no understatement!

How do I know this, you ask? I used these principles, personally, to heal myself from two debilitating autoimmune diseases.

Back when I discovered the Autoimmune Protocol, Sarah’s blog was in its infancy, and there were a few voices in the Paleo community talking about these “extra modifications” that were necessary for those with autoimmune disease. While I started with an elimination diet, my journey ended up addressing all of these other pieces of the puzzle that didn’t really fit into a simple diet change. Things like learning how to prioritize sleep, managing my stress, getting the right amount of physical activity, sunlight exposure, circadian rhythms, and doing further testing and treatment for deeper issues (gut pathogens, parasites, fat malabsorption, and the MTHFR mutation) and finally finding meditation and doing work on an emotional level. Sarah addresses all of these topics, and then some, in this book, and has backed up what many of us have found by trial and error with hard science.

The Paleo Approach is divided into two parts. The first half of the book is called “The Cause”, and its chapters detail what autoimmune disease is, how the immune system works (complete with amazing diagrams), what causes autoimmunity, how diet and lifestyle factors contribute to our conditions, and what to do with all of this information. The second half is called “The Cure”, and it contains the details of Sarah’s plan—which foods to include, lifestyle habits that promote healing, how to transition, troubleshooting the protocol, and reintroductions. I’m not going to spend a lot of time summarizing the information here—but just know that Sarah has gone into an incredible amount of detail to talk about just about any question or topic you could have.

Some of my favorite aspects of the book:

-Comprehensive charts of foods to eat and avoid. She has also included a copy in the back of the book for easy reference. When I say comprehensive, I mean eight pages, with a small font. I would be surprised if anyone could find a food that isn’t included on either of these lists!

-Detailed illustrations to complement the intro chapters. The immune system is incredibly complex to understand, and Sarah’s illustrations made so many of the concepts of leaky gut and the immune system more understandable. They are really well done!

-Chapter reviews, summary guides, and nutrient tables. I found the chapter reviews helpful for synthesizing the most important information in a section. The summary guides in the back are an awesome reference, as are the nutrient tables.

-Troubleshooting checklist. This is an awesome tool for anyone who has tried the approach and needs some ideas of areas to consider because they aren’t making progress.

The last thing I want to tell you about—this book has a lot of information. By a lot, I mean over 400 pages, literally crammed full of the most thoroughly researched, pertinent information you could hope for. Sarah tackles some pretty deep scientific concepts with her signature approachable, and fun writing style. I think it is absolutely necessary for those of us with autoimmunity to understand these concepts in-depth, so that we can have a better understanding of how our bodies interact with the environment as well as so that we can advocate for ourselves best in the doctor’s office.

If you have an autoimmune disease, please do yourself a favor and get this book.

If I haven’t convinced you by this point, I don’t think there is any hope for you! I am living a healthy and happy life today, because of these principles—they saved my life. Sarah is an incredible force and we are so lucky she was able to create such a life-changing roadmap for recovery using ancestral diet and lifestyle changes to heal from autoimmune disease!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Paleo Approach Saved My Life, January 28, 2014
The research Sarah has done and the resources she has made available on her blog enabled me to overcome a decade of ill health and, when you get right down to it, saved my life. I never doubted for a second that her book would be the single most important resource any autoimmune patient — or practitioner that treats autoimmune patients — could arm themselves with.

Sarah writes that she set out to create the kind of one-stop autoimmunity resource that she wishes she had had when she was diagnosed, and boy, did she do just that. The Paleo Approach is as comprehensive as it gets. Sarah dives into the genetic, environmental, dietary, and lifestyle risk factors for autoimmune disease including (but not limited to) toxins, infections, gluten, nightshades, stress, and sleep quality. She describes how our gut, immune system, and hormones work (or don’t work, as the case may be). Most importantly, she offers ways to set things right with practical recommendations for diet, lifestyle, and working with your healthcare providers. Essentially, The Paleo Approach answers this question: “What is autoimmune disease, why does it happen, and what can I do about it?”

If you’re already familiar with Sarah’s website, then you know that she has a knack for explaining advanced science in a straightforward, easy-to-understand way. It’s exactly the book you should take to your skeptical doctors, family, or friends any time you find yourself having to explain your disease or defend your lifestyle. With over 400 pages and about 1,200 scientific studies cited, The Paleo Approach is not only thorough but pretty hard to argue with. In fact, the scientific heft of her book is such that it would not be out of place in classrooms, but it doesn’t read like a textbook. It reads like a conversation. Sarah is down-to-earth and her genuine enthusiasm, compassion, and intelligence shine. She is 100% “The Paleo Mom”, a woman who will guide you gently but firmly as an autoimmune newbie and encourage you to become an autoimmune expert responsible for your own health.

The book is beautifully designed, with bright colors, gorgeous photos, and scientific illustrations like those you can find on Sarah’s blog. The troubleshooting guide will be a godsend for those who find themselves stuck. The comprehensive index, glossary, and chapter reviews make it easy to look up any terms you may want more information on, and there are complete food lists and nutrient analyses for approved foods and even some previews from The Paleo Approach Cookbook. The testimonials throughout the book ensure that you’ll find someone you can relate to for whom The Paleo Approach has already made a world of difference. Reading about everyone’s real-life experience put the human spin on the science, and anyone looking for a sense of community will appreciate their inclusion.

If you have autoimmune disease, know someone with autoimmune disease, or just want to better understand how our lifestyles impact our health, this is the book for you. It leaves no stone unturned. If finding health is a journey, this book is the Sam Gamgee to your Frodo. It’s full of great advice that will ease your burdens if only you heed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Information But a Lot To Take In, February 6, 2014
An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from some form of the over 100 confirmed autoimmune diseases that range from life-threatening multiple sclerosis to debilitating and painful rheumatoid arthritis to the irritation of psoriasis. There are many more diseases that aren't technically autoimmune but mounting evidence suggests they could be related and brought on from the same sources.

Most people treated for autoimmune disease are given medication in an attempt to relieve symptoms but are left with little information as to the causes and what lifestyle and diet changes can potentially bring remission from the diseases. The author draws upon current medical research and her own battle with an autoimmune disorder to show how one can become symptom free the natural way.

Ballantyne believes the Paleo diet lends itself to recovery from autoimmune disease and makes the case as to why foods considered healthy such as whole grains, soy, and low-fat dairy actually contribute to the development of autoimmune disease and create inflammation in the body. The Paleo diet, in a nutshell, is gluten-free and focuses on organic sources of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit while avoiding grains, legumes, and most dairy. Ballantyne takes it a step further by helping the reader understand how certain foods may be creating inflammation in the body and increasing the symptoms of autoimmune diseases. For example, someone dealing with arthritis may discover that eliminating foods from the nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers, white potatoes, eggplant, to name a few) will bring relief. For others, eliminating eggs and nuts may be the answer.

For those with more complicated conditions or who simply are overwhelmed as to where to start, the author walks readers through the most useful medical tests, treatments, and supplements and which are counterproductive. While the book is not meant to diagnose or treat any specific condition or replace a doctor's advice, it is a wealth of information for readers to use as a foundation to better understand what autoimmune disease is, what causes it, and how diet and lifestyle can bring relief. Being armed with this kind of information helps readers become proactive in their own health while also opening a more useful dialogue with their physicians.

This is a substantial book both in size and information and for me, was overwhelming at first, but it is organized well and can be taken in a few pages or chapter at a time. As I first skimmed the book for an overview, I thought there was no way anyone could realistically follow the diet restrictions - and there are many. All the do's don't's at first glance made my head hurt but as I went back and actually read it one chapter at a time, and understood how certain foods create inflammation and make us sick, the list of foods to avoid made more sense. That doesn't make it easier to follow but does provide the motivation to at least make the attempt if better health is the result. Instead of focusing on what I might have to give up, I was able to see that there were still lots of good food choices that I could live with that would be preferable to being on medications with questionable side-effects. This is not a cookbook and no meal plans or recipes are included, just lists of foods to avoid and those to enjoy.

The testimonials included are impressive yet no one, including the author, claims making the diet and lifestyle changes are easy. However, feeling better and becoming healthy is a pay-off that they all agree make any sacrifices worth it.

The book is divided into two main parts. Part one focuses on the cause of autoimmune disease, dietary and lifestlye factors that contribute to it, and covers the details of the Paleo diet approach. Part two focuses on the cure and explains how digestion and the use of probiotics is important to better health, the importance of blood sugar regulation, troubleshooting the diet, and how to reintroduce foods.

Overall this is a book I think anyone dealing with autoimmune disease or who simply wants to be healthier will benefit from. It isn't light reading but contains a lot of beneficial and well-researched information.

4.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Read" for Anyone with Autoimmune/Inflamation Problems, March 4, 2014
Casey (DECATUR, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This book gets 4 stars from me ONLY because it is a bit daunting and a lot to absorb, at first. However, I have stuck with it and the rewards have been well worth it.

It goes into detail about the cellular structure of our bodies--and I am finding it educational, interesting, and as a lay person, understandable. When I get on overload with the technical aspects (mostly found in Chapter One) I give myself a break and jump to other sections relative to food choices, etc., and then return to where I left off.

I have read several books pertaining to Autoimmune, Crohns Disease, etc. Without a doubt, this book is right there at the top of my list and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reading! A must for any with autoimmune problems., February 14, 2014
ellen770 (deep in the south) - See all my reviews
I was diagnosed with autoimmune disease as a teen. I have struggled with so many health issues, and it just seems like nothing worked to improve my health. I began to turn to nutrition and found moderate success. Dr. Ballantyne's research, and clear writing style has finally explained what is going on, and how to fix it. After a month on her AIP protocol, I am seeing improvements I only dreamed of. If you are interested in nutrition for health reasons, this book is indispensable. It has given me hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the answer, May 23, 2014
I'm a long-time sufferer from psoriasis (since birth essentially). I read a LOT and this book makes MEDICAL sense to me, not hocus-pocus by so-called "experts".

I've been doing this lifestyle change (not a "diet"!) for 2 months now. I just got the official results back today. My total cholesterol has plunged to 120 mg/dl (I'm over 50 years old!), my triglycerides have plummeted to all-time lows. LDL ("bad" cholesterrol) is down, HDL ("good" cholesterol) is up. I've lost 25 pounds without even trying, and no hunger. That alone is worth it. Wow.

I'm weaning off the biologic medicine for psoriasis, and have seen no ill-effects. My dermatologist is fascinated by this, and is very interested to see my results, since she says that no one is willing to fund studies to test whether diet can actually change the outcome of auto-immune diseases like RA, psoriasis and others.

Thank you for finally explaining to me what has long been a mystery. This is a life-long change for me, and I'm not looking back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Thoroughly Researched and Well Explained Book on Paleo & Autoimmunity, March 12, 2014
Sarah Ballantyne really outdoes herself with this book. I am curious and scientific at heart, but I confess that when it comes to what to eat, I have believed pretty much anything that was available in print, from mainstream media, to personal blogs, to whatever turned up at the end of a Google search.

My typically analytical approach to problem solving went out the window faced with making decisions about food and health, as I trialled about 15 different eating programs all created with some pretty flimsy science. Enter Sarah Ballantyne, aka The Paleo Mom. There are some other great blogs and bloggers out there presenting findings about food and our bodies in the Paleo realm, but when I got to Sarah's blog I knew that she was different.

Sarah's voice is genuine, rational and methodical. When faced with a problem or what appears to be a gap in our understanding our how food effects our body, she does what is done is the rational sciences, she goes back to scientific basics, breaks it down and lays out the causes and effects. As she works through immune system, how is works and what happens when it stops working how it is meant to and we are faced with autoimmune disease. It was a light bulb moment for me.

What is also different for me about Sarah's book is what is missing. It is free from a "rar-rar" sales pitch. She's not selling supplements or snacks. She believes that we're capable of understanding what is going on "under the hood" of our bodies. She lays out well researched hypothesis about food, our bodies and our health, utilizing a ton of science that is at our disposal at this moment in time. And like all good scientists - she leaves it up to us to apply our critical thinking hats to take that information for ourselves and accept or reject that hypothesis with all our facts at hand.

Bravo Sarah putting together such a thoroughly researched book, grounded in so much science and told in your grounded and authentic tone! This book takes our understanding of autoimmunity to a new level. I come away from reading your book so much more knowledgeable and informed than when I started. Thank you for sharing all you learnings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Marketing gimmick to make publisher rich, March 15, 2014

Victory Belt publishing has produced a lot of good books. I have several of their martial arts books and three paleo related books. For the most part pretty good stuff, actually some really great stuff. But I noticed the last couple of martial arts books were not that goo; kind of releasing old material under a new cover.

This book does not present anything new. The layout is different, but not good. Included is hundreds of pages of medical jargon in the format of a sensationalized fitness magazine (imagine a page with three full articles, one that touts the benefits of Vitamin B for building muscle, another that says red peppers may promote hair growth, etc.).

I guess what bothered me most about this book though... My wife has Multiple Sclerosis, so I thought the book would be helpful. But it just isn't and within the book Ballantyne makes it clear that there is no way to reverse autoimmune diseases, but the tools in the book (which really are not there) could help symptoms. I knew MS had no cure, no problem. It's just not cool for the publisher and author to have in the title, "Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body", and then in the book clearly state the opposite.

I'm just disappointed that what seem like good people would use catchy gimmick titles and poor material to take money from people.

Don't purchase this book. Eat good wholesome foods (vegetables, fruits, meats, good fats (and grains too really, just not deficient over processed stuff)), exercise, sleep well and don't life too seriously. We all know the rules, just keep practicing. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Next step in my search for health., January 30, 2014
Nataliya (United States) - See all my reviews
Next step in my search for health.
I have been introduced to Paleo a few years back and found some success following the basic Paleo diet. However, when you hear someone in the Paleosphere say that "most people will have their health restored with basic Paleo", it's true, but what about that minority that needs more help?
That "minority", that's probably more people than they realize, will need to make additional changes in their diet and lifestyle if they want to accomplish optimal health. Most Paleo books skirt this "minority", or pay them an obligatory couple of pages with a "consult your health provider for further help". Sarah, on the other hand, tackles those "difficult" cases and issues in this book. She talks about things that no one else in the Paleo community is handling with as much depth and personal perspective.
I found myself among those who need more help. The availability of straight Paleo information on the web and in bookstores these day is definitely plentiful. But for those who face other issues, like autoimmune disease, digestive disorders, etc. - this book is for you! I've already found answers to many, many... many questions (the book is quite large), that aren't covered anywhere else. Well, unless you want to go to pubmed and start doing your own research, but why would you want to when Sarah has done such a beautiful job doing that for you? Sarah's science and research background lands itself perfectly to tackling difficult issues with a straight-forward approach.
Before the book came out, I was already a fan of the "Paleo View" podcast, where Sarah and Stacey answer questions and share their considerable personal experience with the nutrition-based approach to health. I also adore Sarah's website/blog and some of her AIP friendly recipes are my staples.
This book has already become an invaluable resource in my own Paleo Journey and I would recommend it in a heartbeat. You can scroll through my other reviews and you'll see that I don't give 5-star reviews to every book I read. In fact, an author would have to give me something of real value (for non-fiction) or entertainment (fiction) to earn those stars. The value of this book is undisputable. "Worth its weight in gold" comes to mind.

The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body by Sarah Ballantyne (Paperback - January 28, 2014)
$39.95 $23.95