5.0 out of 5 stars Wow wow wow!!
Published 16 months ago by Charity

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Editing, Tasty Food
I had high hopes for this cookbook as I'd been waiting for it to be released and suffered through the many delays. I assumed that those extra 5 months would yield and flawless cookbook full of gorgeous food photography and delicious food. Unfortunately, only the delicious food was found.

Over the last couple of weeks, we have prepared several recipes from the...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Editing, Tasty Food, March 18, 2013
This review is from: The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way (Hardcover)

Over the last couple of weeks, we have prepared several recipes from the cookbook. We have yet to be disappointed by the finished product, but the recipe directions and lack of photographs leave much to be desired. Here are examples of the lack of clarity in the directions:

-No note on when to add ingredients - Pear Ginger Pork Chops - no note to add cinnamon and allspice
-Vague instructions - Paleo Chicken Adobo - "Put the chicken and all the other ingredients into a bowl", but really means all except the ghee. It made for an interesting marinade when my husband prepared it with the ghee included
-No information on how to prepare a given ingredient - Paleo Beef Casserole - garlic sliced, crushed, smashed, minced? Chicken with Butternut Squash and Figs - leave chicken breasts whole? Cube? If whole, shred at the end?

We have found flaws in all but one recipe we have prepared thus far. I would definitely not recommend this for a novice or beginner cook because of the room for interpretation left by the lack of explicit instruction. One would think that the delays in publishing would have afforded ample time for recipe editing and testing.

Here's the rub. I can't quit this cookbook because the food is delicious. I find myself reaching for it as I make my weekly meal plan and including at least 2-3 meals from it. As someone following an Autoimmune Protocol, I was pleasantly surprised to find at least a few recipes in each section that do not include nightshades. We have thoroughly enjoyed each dish we have prepared, and my husband has requested the Beef Roast with Beets and Tarragon enter the regular rotation. I do think most of the chicken recipes would benefit from a 4-5 hour cooking time, rather than 6 hours, but that's an easy adjustment to make personally.

Overall, if you can get past the editing and lack of food photography, the food is good. I almost wish I had held out for a reprint with edits in place, though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fire your editor, April 21, 2013
Steven (los angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this book hoping to make my life easier, sigh, too much cut and paste has screwed up the recipes. The first recipe had partial instructions from some other recipe, and my second attempt has differing amounts in instructions than in the ingredients list in addition to some of the worst writing I've ever seen to the extent of gibberish. I have a feeling the editors and publisher are to blame and have put a black eye on this book for me. I won't order any books from this publisher again rest assured.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better cookbooks out there, March 21, 2013
I can't understand all these glowing reviews. The book is very pretty with pictures of all the recipes, and it contains a good overview of eating paleo and nutrition tidbits spread throughout the book. But that's about all I have to say that's positive.

Things I don't like....they definitely did NOT proofread. We have made 5 recipes so far. In every single one there are ingredients listed that aren't in the instructions anywhere, ingredients in the instructions not on the list, or what looks to be part of another recipe's ingredient list inserted mid-sentence in the instructions. I have just kind of guessed what I thought it was supposed to be.

This would be okay if the recipes where any good. But every one has been "okay." Edible, but nothing we'd bother to make again (or serve anyone else). We've been eating strict paleo for a few years now,and cooking for a very long time,so we've started trying to amp them up a bit (adding more spices, deglazing the pan when it calls for browning the meat - why wouldn't you do this if your already browning the meat? missing stuff like this makes me think the authors haven't been cooking very long)but it hasn't helped much.

Oh, and I REALLY dislike that there is no recipe list under the table of content headings (i.e. what beef recipes are under the beef section?). There is an alphabetical index in the back, but that isn't useful unless you know the exact name of a particular recipe you're looking for. I like to be able to quickly scan and see what I've tried/get ideas without flipping page by page.

We'll keep trying recipes from it, although I usually half them now to not waste expensive meat, etc. (we buy free-range) on something that likely will just be okay. But if you're new to paleo, don't get this book! There are better ones out there, and I think it might turn you off. But if you're not new and/or have been cooking a long time and don't mind tweaking the recipes some, then it's okay. But really, save your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slapdash editing makes for a confusing cookbook, August 18, 2013
As others have said, this cookbook is confusing, and it all stems from extremely poor editing. Let me give you an example. This is the first step in a recipe that appears fairly early in the book:
"> Sauté onion in a 2 lb lean ground beef 1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olive heavy pan over medium high for 5 minutes until translucent."
This is an example of the simple, but unfortunately common, errors that permeate the book. For those who are curious, it should read:
"> Sauté onion in a heavy pan over medium high [heat] for 5 minutes, until translucent."

By the way, ground beef and green olives both appear in this recipe, but in different quantities, and the olives aren't stuffed.

Virtually every recipe has some sort of typo, or the ingredients list is organized horribly, or a step is missing. In most paleo cookbooks, the oil or type of fat is specific, since some have strong flavors. In this recipe, no fat or oil is listed at all, while In another recipe, the first instruction simply says sauté the vegetables, and butter is listed last in the ingredients list. That was annoying, as I just reached for olive oil and was cooking, before I realized I was supposed to sauté in butter. It changes the flavor of the dish, and anyone who knows how to cook or write recipes knows that you list ingredients in the order that you use them.

Another minus is that the author loves to sauté things prior to putting them in the slow cooker. The buyer should be aware that many of these dishes require 20-30 minutes of prep and pre-cooking before letting the slow cooker finish. ALSO, and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, the author wants you to brown most of the meat. Unfortunately, many of the chicken dishes use breast or boneless thigh meat, and the chicken comes out dry and mealy (horribly overcooked). I understand that she's trying to develop flavor, but many of these dishes really only need to cook 4 hours on low, not 6, as specified, so if you have a digitally-controlled slow cooker that kicks down to warm, keep that in mind.

HOWEVER, once you fight your way through the directions, the recipes I have tried are quite good. Ingredients are typical of a paleo kitchen/house, and there is a wide variety of dishes from many cuisines, which I VERY much prefer. Keep in mind that there is no apparent effort to divide them into seasonal dishes, so you may not find things like dried figs, leeks, fennel, or fresh okra year-round. If you are looking for flavorful paleo dishes, and you are ready to make some adjustments on the fly, many of these recipes are quite good.

As an experienced restaurant and home cook, this cookbook is incredibly annoying. The flavors are very good, but you will likely run into one or more issues, including cooking time/temp, in most recipes. I've found nothing better, though, and it is a useful starting point, if you have enough experience to modify your cooking methods, as needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but..., March 12, 2013
SimHead82 (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I received this book a week ago as I was planning to change to a Paleo diet. Today is only day two and I am making the Pork Ribs in Mango BBQ Sauce. Step one is to mix all ingredients except the pork ribs and mangos. Then it never says what to do with the mangos, so I added them to the sauce before pouring it over the ribs. There are several other recipes from this book we have on our menu for this week, so I'll come back and leave a better review of the book once we try some recipes. The book is beautiful and the pictures are mouth watering, I hope they taste as good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Edited, with missing steps and/or ingredients throughout, September 7, 2013
The recipes we've tried so far have been fine--but it appears that no one proofread this book before it went to press. There are so many errors and omissions (One recipe calls for 3 pounds of ground beef in the ingredients list, then the first step says to brown 2 pounds with an ingredient that doesn't even appear on the list. There's no mention of the other pound of beef.) I wouldn't suggest buying this book unless you're an experienced cook and are totally comfortable with winging it, and possibly wasting money on ingredients you don't need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow wow wow!!, February 27, 2013
Charity (United States) - See all my reviews
I received this book in the mail a few days ago and was very excited to see the beautiful pictures and excited about the recipes I saw. I decided to make the sundries tomato stuff chicken breast for dinner tonight. It was so incredibly easy to make and the house smelled delish! I couldn't wait to eat. Taking it out of the crock pot I was delighted at how gorgeous it looked and was so excited to try it!! Soo sooooo incredibly yummy. It tasted like we were out to dinner some where fancy yet we woe home eating the best meal I have ever made at home. My husband and I both agreed this is a meal we will be making on a regular basis!! I can't wait to try more, thank you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes should be caught on the first run, not the second, July 14, 2013
janepd3 "book lover & mother" (Princeton NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of those cookbooks where I wish I had spent more time reading all of the reviews on Amazon rather than making an impulse purchase based on trusting the reviews of various Paleo bloggers I follow. Sadly, with a few exceptions, I think most of the bloggers -- no matter how good their individual blogs and/or cookbooks may be -- engage in a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" practice of posting uncritical reviews of each other's books to promote sales rather than engage in genuine reviews that highlight both the good and the bad.

In this case, this cookbook is so poorly written and the recipes so poorly edited that I wonder whether an editor was even hired. I have cooked one or two recipes, which have turned out OK but not great. But in reading through the book to try to determine which recipes to try, it's beyond frustrating to find recipe after recipe where a) ingredients are not listed in order of use, b) ingredients mentioned in the directions are omitted from the list of ingredients, and/or c) ingredients listed in the recipe are omitted from the directions. There's simply no excuse in a professionally published cookbook for these types of glaring errors. I will probably return the first edition and I doubt very much I will bother with the second.

This goes to personal taste/dietary preference on my part, but I am also not happy with how many recipes have fruit and added sweeteners. Although I understand that Paleo does not equal low carb, so many of the main-dish recipes have way too much sugar in them, whether in the form of honey or very sweet fruits such as pineapple.

Overall a big disappointment and not one to keep on my shelf of cookbooks in daily rotations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Delicious looking recipes but poor editing., May 10, 2013
This is one beautifully produced cookbook, with amazing pictures of the author's delicious dishes. The one thing I wish the publishers and the author took more seriously before publishing it is the editing. They should have hired a fastidious editor to proofread the informational text, and especially the recipes. Some of the recipes I've encountered are problematic, like the Citrus Pork Dish: The instructions called to add wine with the pork in the end but wine is not part of the ingredients for the dish! Moreover, there are many misspelled words and grammatical errors in the text that, to me, can be distracting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and attractive, lots of typos!, April 13, 2013
I would say about 1/2 of the recipes I've made have some sort of typo or confusion of some sort. Not just a misspelling, but a "So what do I do with this ingredient then?" kind of typo. Or a "What's the amount? In what order?"
That being said, I usually just make my best guess and everything's turned out fine so far.
I've done a number of recipes now that have ranged from "ok" to "really yummy!" But nothing has been bad. In general I've found it a completely convenient method of cooking up a bunch of paleo food, and now use my slow cooker a few times a week.
As far as the design goes, it's attractive and laid out nicely.

The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way by Arsy Vartanian (Hardcover - March 6, 2013)
$27.00 $18.03