5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just great recipies...
Being a former San Francisco resident I've had the pleasure of eating at Bette's Oceanview Diner. The only problem with eating Bette's cakes is your faced with the reality that you own pancakes really don't compare. Now, with this book in hand, I am delighted to say that this is no longer the case.

The Pancake Handbook isn't a mere "recipe book". I've tried...
Published on July 31, 2006 by S. Brien

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing buttermilk pancakes
Published 19 months ago by Suzanne Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just great recipies..., July 31, 2006
This review is from: The Pancake Handbook: Specialties from Bette's Oceanview Diner (Paperback)

The Pancake Handbook isn't a mere "recipe book". I've tried many recipes throughout the years with varying success. In this book you'll learn that picking the right flour, baking soda and other ingredients is just as important as how they're mixed together. You'll learn about griddle temperature, batter consistency and when to flip for perfect doneness. There are so many simple little tricks to better pancakes and they're all in this book.

The recipes cover pancakes of all varieties including; basic, fancy, spiced, cornmeal, whole-wheat, and sourdough. There are chapters on dairy pancakes, crepes, soufflé pancakes, kid's pancakes and toppings. Many of them have variations and add-ins as well as optional ingredients such as how to make buttermilk pancakes when you haven't any buttermilk on hand.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to make great cakes regardless of your current cooking abilities. It is simple to follow and virtually guarantees fantastic results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy Yum!!!, November 9, 2003
By A Customer
This book is a must have for any pancake lover. I was first introduced to The Pancake Handbook through reading a two page spread of excerpts in the LA Times. I tried 3 of the 5 recipes before I bought the book. Every recipe I've tested so far is delicious and superb!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect in Every Way Pancakes, October 4, 2010
Read the beginning! Do not skip it! Tells you why to follow the recipes! You cannot mess up these pancakes if you follow their rules! My sister uses this, and she makes the best waffles. I made the Crunchy Whole Wheat Walnut Hotcakes and substituted pecans, added ground flax, and everybody (ages 4 to 41)LOVED them. NONE left for the next day. My kids begged to try another recipe the next weekend!

April 2012
We still love this book! We have been working our way through and love all of the recipes we have used so far! We bought a waffle maker (Presto Flip Side) and now are using the recipes for waffles. One of our favorites is the Pumpkin. We usually make a triple batch (family of 6) to have leftovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best basic pancake recipe, January 31, 2005
This review is from: The Pancake Handbook (Paperback)
I used the basic buttermilk pancake recipe to make waffles and they came out better than any other recipe I've used. The book offers a great little history on the diner and gives a wide variety of different pancakes and waffles you can make. I found it very helpful how they listed out the basic pantry items you will need to make the different recipes in the book. It made shopping a lot easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Become a PANCAKE EXPERT!!!, July 10, 2001
This review is from: The Pancake Handbook (Paperback)
Bette's Diner should be on your "MUST list" for Berkeley, CA. But, if that is not possible then using this book will not only take you on a Breakfast "trip," it will make you the BREAKFAST guru in your neck of the woods. The cooks of this book will guide you through every technique and combination. It's the first book I grab if company shows for breakfast. Easy, straight forward and funny, it's a family pleaser. This book is a must for your collection and makes a treasured gift to any bride.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing buttermilk pancakes, November 20, 2012
I have been on a quest for years for the perfect pancake recipe. I should have known from the very flat looking pancakes on the front cover that I was not going to find them in this book, but when I ran across this book at the HPB store, I decided to give it a shot. I followed the recipe to the letter...room temp ingredients, griddle at right temp, let batter rest, etc...however the pancakes rose only slightly and fell before completely cooked. And even after 3 min one side and 2 min on other, their texture was still undercooked. Flavor was very good, but even after cranking up the gas on the griddle, these pancakes still came out disappointing flat. All of my ingredients were fresh, so I can only conclude that their is too much liquid--2 cups buttermilk plus 1/2 cup milk to 2 cups flour thinned out the batter too much.

This book is going in the library donations pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Triple 'D' Recipe, January 23, 2014
Retired (Las Cruces, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I primarily purchased this book so that I would have the recipe for Bette's Diner Souffle Pancakes. These oven pancakes were featured on one of the Food Channel's segments of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. With this book I was able to recreate this great dish in my own kitchen. The book has many other pancake recipes that I will be trying out. Along with the recipes are cooking hints and advice specific to producing delicious pancakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 18, 2013
This book overviews so many different types of pancakes! Tons of different recipes; I totally recommend! It is a little smaller than I expected- it's a small paperback book, but it is still packed with information!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pancake Cook Book, October 17, 2013
This was just okay and was a part of a basket for a fundraiser., which included more recipes & tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars For a pancake lover, May 18, 2013
Gave this to my brother who eats pancakes twice a day. He is now making the book part of his training routine and experimenting with the recipes. Great gift!

The Pancake Handbook: Specialties from Bette's Oceanview Diner
The Pancake Handbook: Specialties from Bette's Oceanview Diner by Stephen Siegelman (Paperback - July 15, 2003)
$12.99 $9.00