5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Munsch's wonderful book
This was the first Munsch book that I bought and I quickly went out and bought a whole load more. He's an excellent writer with a wonderful range of stories and a beautifully simple and fluid style of writing that is both accessible to children and able to roll off the tongue of most adults.
As you'll see from the other reviews here, this tale is about a young girl...
Published on June 2, 2003 by Cordless Iron Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! SMALL SIZE
I really love this book and so does my daughter, but I was extremely disappointed in the size of the book. I guess I should have looked at the size, but that's not always something one would look at when purchasing a book online - I know better now. It would help with such items as these to place "pocket size" or "travel size" which usually means that it's small. I...
Published on August 13, 2010 by Shan

‹ Previous | 1 2 357 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Fairy Tale" ending I've ever read., November 16, 1999
By A Customer
A reverse of the "prince rescues the princess" theme with all the right messages: brains over brawn; "girl power"; appearances are a poor measure of a person's character.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!, June 23, 2001
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Princess Elizabeth's world gets destroyed by a dragon - her castle is smashed, her clothes are burned, and her Prince is carried off by a dragon.
Does Elizabeth sit back and let the dragon win? Nope.
She puts on a paperbag and heads out to rescue her man. She puts her smarts to good use and defeats the dragon. No violence.
And for her troubles? Ronald yells at her!! What's a Princess to do? She tells him off an skips off into the sunset.
I loved Elizabeth's resoursefulness. I loved how the test of her character showed her that Ronald wasn't the Prince for her. I loved how, instead of weeping over the loss of such an unprincely Prince, she dances off into the sunset.
This book is one of my all-time favorite stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for princesses, July 21, 2006
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
I read this story to my son, 3.5 years old and avid dragon lover. I received this book as a young girl and loved the book because I believed it asserted the princess' independence. As I now read it to my son, I think it relays a different message, people who love you will do anything for you . . . and you need to appreciate it! My son understood that the princess did what she did for love of the prince and at all costs . . . without me telling him! Great story.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's First Book, December 12, 2002
ladyfern31 (Northern CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I received this book as a baby shower present. It was my daughter's first book, and I read it to her frequently for years. I love this book because its message empowers girls to seek their own destiny, to think and act for themselves and to question the roles others may impose upon them. I strongly suggest it to every young woman out there who may fall prey to "traditional" fairy tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story--Great Lesson, October 5, 2002
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Years ago in graduate school, I received this book as I was completing my studies in Workplace Diversity and thoroughly enjoyed it. All these years later, I have just finished reading this to my 6 year old daughter, and appreciate the lesson of the book even more. Regardless of your child's gender, this simple story about finding one's self esteem is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your everyday Princess, June 11, 2000
By A Customer
Elizabeth has it made. Not only is she a princess, but she's got everything that goes with being a princess -- a castle, good looks, a great wardrobe, and Prince Ronald for a fiance. Then along comes a dragon who smashes her castle, incinerates her clothes, kidnaps her boyfriend, and musses her hair.
An ordinary princess would dissolve into heartbroken sobs at this point, but Elizabeth is anything but ordinary. For modesty's sake, she grabs the only covering available, a paper bag, and sets out to find the dragon and rescue Ronald. The dragon tells her to go away -- he's too full to eat a princess at the moment. Not to be put off, Elizabeth tricks the dragon into proving just how mighty he is, and exhausting himself in the process. When the dragon is soundly asleep, Elizabeth opens the door to the dragon's lair and finds Ronald.
Ronald, who, for want of a better word, is a royal jerk, doesn't even say "thank you." Instead, he shakes his finger at Elizabeth and scolds, "Elizabeth, you are a mess! Your hair is all tangled and you are wearing a dirty old paper bag. Come back tomorrow when you are dressed like a real princess." As you might guess, Elizabeth tells him off and goes skipping into the sunset. Even my four year old, usually the champion of any prince in any tale, cheers for Elizabeth at the end. As for his sister, well, Ronald just confirms her theory that no boy is as good as her dad (except for maybe one certain boy in her class, but that's another story altogether).

5.0 out of 5 stars This may be my favorite book!, August 11, 2003
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
What a brilliant story to encourage girls to be strong, smart, and realize beauty comes from within!
I have bought this for all friends with new babies...girls and boys. What a gift when we grace our children with the power of confidence and imagination.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paper Bag Princess, May 29, 2011
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
I love the idea of a strong female character - especially given when this was initially published. It kind of turns the classic "damsel in distress" on its head, where the princess saves the prince.
I also liked that the princess had to out-smart the dragon - she succeeded by using her brain.
That's what I liked....

But, I think I would have liked this a lot better had it only been about the dragon, or only been about the relationship with the prince - but I didn't like them both together because one seemed to undermine the other.
(without giving away the end I can't really explain - but it's kind of a "if the princess is so smart, then how come...")
I also thought it was kind of bad that in her attempt to outsmart the dragon, she egged him to destroy 100 forests. Now, I know this is a fantasy, but still - obviously this was written during the women's lib age, but pre the "go green" age ;-) Either way though, it seemed a little selfish of the princess.
And, the only thing that didn't burn up was a paper bag... I'm sure it was supposed to be funny, but.. . for me, it was more annoying.

The illustrations are fun! Though I wasn't overly impressed with the story telling.
I've friends love this book, and I've enjoyed other Munsch work, but this one just fell flat for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great girl book, February 4, 2000
VAG (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
A wonderful original fairy tale with a strong and smart heroine. Princess Elizabeth is a great example for little girls. Sometimes the prince is not worth having!

5.0 out of 5 stars For big girls too!, August 23, 1998
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
By far this is an excellent book for children regardless of gender. Not having a child yet to share it with and not having enjoyed it as a child, I share it with every single girl I know. With high school pressures to have a boyfriend and for those twenty-somethings whose parents can't wait til the wedding, it provides a little boost of self-esteem that shows girls that you don't have to settle and it doesn't always end in marriage. It also shows that no matter how hard you may work at it, sometimes thing don't go the way you plan and you have to be strong about it. I highly recommend it for gift giving to young woman who haven't found there strength yet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 357 | Next ›

The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch)
The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) by Robert Munsch (Paperback - February 1, 1992)
$6.95 $6.00