5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Munsch's wonderful book
This was the first Munsch book that I bought and I quickly went out and bought a whole load more. He's an excellent writer with a wonderful range of stories and a beautifully simple and fluid style of writing that is both accessible to children and able to roll off the tongue of most adults.
As you'll see from the other reviews here, this tale is about a young girl...
Published on June 2, 2003 by Cordless Iron Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! SMALL SIZE
I really love this book and so does my daughter, but I was extremely disappointed in the size of the book. I guess I should have looked at the size, but that's not always something one would look at when purchasing a book online - I know better now. It would help with such items as these to place "pocket size" or "travel size" which usually means that it's small. I...
Published on August 13, 2010 by Shan

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by this version, September 19, 2012
C. Simeroth (Brownsville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love the original version of this book, but found that the "revised text" edition used in the board book took most of the character out of the story. Examples: "burned all her clothes with his fiery breath" becomes "burnt up her clothes", and a whole page of fun, imagination-inspiring narrative ending with "he was easy to follow because he left a trail of burnt forests and horses' teeth" is revised to end with simply "followed the dragon to his cave."

It seems that there is a fear of using too many big words with young children. Or maybe there is a feeling that parents don't want to be bothered to explain the big words while reading to their kids. Whatever the reason, it's a shame.

The illustrations remain the same as in the original, however. I let my children look at the board book while reading to them from my tiny, dilapidated original version so they can hear a good story.

I highly recommend purchasing the original version of this book, not the board book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This may be my favorite book!, August 11, 2003
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
What a brilliant story to encourage girls to be strong, smart, and realize beauty comes from within!
I have bought this for all friends with new babies...girls and boys. What a gift when we grace our children with the power of confidence and imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's First Book, December 12, 2002
ladyfern31 (Northern CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I received this book as a baby shower present. It was my daughter's first book, and I read it to her frequently for years. I love this book because its message empowers girls to seek their own destiny, to think and act for themselves and to question the roles others may impose upon them. I strongly suggest it to every young woman out there who may fall prey to "traditional" fairy tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great girl book, February 4, 2000
VAG (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
A wonderful original fairy tale with a strong and smart heroine. Princess Elizabeth is a great example for little girls. Sometimes the prince is not worth having!

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for princesses, July 21, 2006
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
I read this story to my son, 3.5 years old and avid dragon lover. I received this book as a young girl and loved the book because I believed it asserted the princess' independence. As I now read it to my son, I think it relays a different message, people who love you will do anything for you . . . and you need to appreciate it! My son understood that the princess did what she did for love of the prince and at all costs . . . without me telling him! Great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story--Great Lesson, October 5, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Years ago in graduate school, I received this book as I was completing my studies in Workplace Diversity and thoroughly enjoyed it. All these years later, I have just finished reading this to my 6 year old daughter, and appreciate the lesson of the book even more. Regardless of your child's gender, this simple story about finding one's self esteem is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!, June 23, 2001
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Princess Elizabeth's world gets destroyed by a dragon - her castle is smashed, her clothes are burned, and her Prince is carried off by a dragon.
Does Elizabeth sit back and let the dragon win? Nope.
She puts on a paperbag and heads out to rescue her man. She puts her smarts to good use and defeats the dragon. No violence.
And for her troubles? Ronald yells at her!! What's a Princess to do? She tells him off an skips off into the sunset.
I loved Elizabeth's resoursefulness. I loved how the test of her character showed her that Ronald wasn't the Prince for her. I loved how, instead of weeping over the loss of such an unprincely Prince, she dances off into the sunset.
This book is one of my all-time favorite stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paper Bag Princess, May 29, 2011
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
I love the idea of a strong female character - especially given when this was initially published. It kind of turns the classic "damsel in distress" on its head, where the princess saves the prince.
I also liked that the princess had to out-smart the dragon - she succeeded by using her brain.
That's what I liked....

But, I think I would have liked this a lot better had it only been about the dragon, or only been about the relationship with the prince - but I didn't like them both together because one seemed to undermine the other.
(without giving away the end I can't really explain - but it's kind of a "if the princess is so smart, then how come...")
I also thought it was kind of bad that in her attempt to outsmart the dragon, she egged him to destroy 100 forests. Now, I know this is a fantasy, but still - obviously this was written during the women's lib age, but pre the "go green" age ;-) Either way though, it seemed a little selfish of the princess.
And, the only thing that didn't burn up was a paper bag... I'm sure it was supposed to be funny, but.. . for me, it was more annoying.

The illustrations are fun! Though I wasn't overly impressed with the story telling.
I've friends love this book, and I've enjoyed other Munsch work, but this one just fell flat for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Spunky!, April 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Hoorah for a princess story where substance counts over good looks!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ORIGINAL twist on a traditional tale., September 29, 2005
This review is from: The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) (Paperback)
Munsch writes kids stories like nobody else! He catches their attention,tells his stories and has a wry twist at the end. The topic is extremely empowering to young girls and the humor with which he tells his tale is for all readers...not just kids!

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9ee6558)

The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch)
The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch) by Robert Munsch (Paperback - February 1, 1992)
$6.95 $3.92