Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on June 13, 2000
This is the perfect book for bringing a Christian perspective to the celebration of Halloween! Liz Curtis Higgs tells the story of the Farmer, who plants a garden bearing all kinds of vegetables. His favorite vegetable is the pumpkin, which grows in all different sizes and shapes. When it's harvest time, the Farmer carefully picks the pumpkin, scoops out the slimy pulp, carves a face, and places a light inside.
The story ends by telling how God is the Farmer, and we are just like those pumpkins, chosen by Him, made clean and given His light. For older readers, this similarity is reinforced by appropriate Bible verses on the bottom of each page.
I use this book every year just before Halloween in my third grade Sunday School class. My students are just learning to use their Bibles, so I start by having the kids look up some of the verses before we read the story. Those verses that seemed dry and dusty before the story come alive when we read about the Farmer. I also share this book with my own, younger kids, just before we carve jack-o'-lanterns. We remember the parable and its meaning every time we see one of those grinning pumpkins.
on November 11, 1999
As a first grade teacher and a Sunday School teacher I was able to get double duty from my book! It let children know that the Halloween season need not be scary and it also helped my public school children to realize the time it takes to grow a pumpkin. I only wish the author would of had that nice farmer save the seeds to be planted the next year.
on October 13, 1999
Are you looking for a great harvest book? Here it is! Noscary monters or evil themes here! The farmer cleans out the messinside the pumpkin and makes it shine for everyone to see. God does the same thing to us! A great way to celebrate the season so many Christians have a hard time with!
on October 28, 2005
This is a great story that can help people of all ages, even though geared to children, understand the message of the Gospel in a creative way. This doesn't have to be associated with the celebration of Halloween. I know that many people who profess to be Christians still like to celebrate Halloween and feel that this story helps to tie it to their faith. That shouldn't make this a bad book for those who don't think Halloween has a place in the lives of Christians. Putting a face on a pumpkin to do something fun during fall harvest is a spiritually neutral activity. It just doesn't have to be about Halloween. I am glad that people like Ms Higgs take the time to do something positive for this time of year--something that takes the focus OFF of Halloween.
on September 25, 2006
This is a beautful story. This story teaches us how a farmer changes a pumpkin into a aweome sight just like Jesus changes us when we accpet his love. It was beauful illustrated with bible verses at the bottom of every page. I used this book when I taught Sunday School. My children love the pictures. This is a great book!!!!!
on October 28, 1998
This book is a wonderful book for children who do not celebrate Halloween. It has a Christian theme running throughout, but could be used without the verses as a great read-aloud book for any group of young children.
on October 11, 2014
This book is perfect to share with children at a Bible study that leads into an activity to carve pumpkins with a Christian theme, showing that Hallowen can be fun without scary and ugly decorations that take away form the message of God.
on September 27, 2015
This book is a must have for every Christian home. The illustration is creative and colorful and the story line is basic but poignant. Our 4 year old daughter asks us to read it over and over again and I am grateful that she is getting such a powerful message about what God can do in our lives....all through a book about PUMPKINS!!
on January 6, 2014
I was asked to be the storyteller at our Halloween party for our children at church. I ordered this on my Kindle then used the largest font so the kids could see the drawings. The story with scripture verses captivated them. I asked them to pretend they were pumpkin seeds that were growing. As the plant leafed out in the story, I asked them to extend their arms. One four year old told his mother that above all the games and food, he loved the story the best. Oh, I dressed in bided overalls, plaid shirt and straw hat. It was special to be to have my costume look like the farmer in the story!
on December 24, 2015
I facilitate a Bible study group, we call ourselves the bad girls of the Bible a good Shepherd Parish. A couple of the ladies bring their grandchildren with them on a night when there's no other babysitter, so we delight in a few young people in our group. For Halloween 2015 I bought a few of these books for these 123-year-olds. I am happy to report that each of them love their new books and asks the grandmothers to read the books to them over and over again.
Our group enjoys Liz Curtis-Higgs book studies very much and we have read and discussed at least seven or eight of her books at this point and look forward to many more coming from Liz.