Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

87%
13%
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 8, 2001
This magnificent work has got to be the greatest book on the suffering and death of Christ available anywhere today! It clearly and vividly gives us the reasons, meaning, causes, motives, circumstances and effects for the greatest drama ever recorded in human history. Father Groenings has shunned all private revelation as a source for this powerful book. He has instead relied on the best authority available on Holy Scripture - the invaluable writings of the Fathers of the Church. Learn why Christ chose to be crowned with thorns or to be scourged at a pillar. What role did Barabbas play in God's plan? What grace caused Pilate's wife to become a Catholic? What is the meaning of Christ falling while carrying the cross? Why did Our Lord choose crucifixion over other modes of death? What sins did Peter commit with his denial? What is the meaning of natures' reaction during the Passion, such as earthquakes or the eclipse of the sun in the middle of the day? Hundreds of unforgettable insights! 461pp. PB. Imprimatur.
on June 1, 2011
I used this as a book for Lenten reflections, prayer and meditations. What I received was a very profound journey through Christ's Passion. The amount of suffering Jesus endured for us, was beyond human. There were times when the knowledge of what Christ was doing and why, had to be so
intense that only His true essence of God and Man could have allowed Him to go on. I recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand the reasons for Our Lord's deep sacrifice for us.
on April 24, 2009
I read this book every year during lent. It was written in the late 1890's and translated and published in America in the early 1900's. So a couple of social concepts are obsolete (or maybe not) and the English is dated, but the teachings and insights are classic and Catholic. However, it is not a an easy read, and I feel one needs to read it thoughtfully and slowly to really let it sink in. I have found it to be very powerful and enlightening, and best of all it has helped me develop a better understanding of our Lord's suffering and passion. An excellent spiritual read.
on December 1, 2015
Though I didn't get this from Amazon originally (my copy is so worn that huge chunks of it are coming out so I need a good copy), I treasured reading it during Lent this year. I would give it 10 stars if I could. It is the most comprehensive study of Our Lord's suffering and death. Anyone wishing to grow closer to Our Lord will greatly benefit from reading this spiritual gem and prayerfully pondering its contents. It is meant to be devoured in bits and pieces because of its sheer weightiness; not a quick read, but infinitely valuable and worthy of the time taken to comprehend it.

Edited December 2: Eek - I don't have a Kindle and didn't realize that this was the edition I was reviewing. Still probably has the same content, though.
on April 24, 2007
I will keep reading this book the rest of my life. It is so rich, you can't absorb it all, only bits at a time. I love this book, every Catholic should read it.
on May 1, 2015
The reflections offered made for a better Lent - but these thoughts would be useful for spiritual growth in any season of the year.
on December 31, 2012
Loved this book. There is so much to learn by reading this book. Great in-sights to the bible. Great for Lent
on August 15, 2006
Fr. Groenings wrote the Passion of Jesus and It's Hidden Meaning with the intention of taking his material directly from the Bible with no mention of any private revelations and to emphasize that every single detail of the Passion happend for a reason and had a deeper meaning. For the most part the book succeeds. His discussion of Judas and Caiaphus is particularly good. If I was going to buy only one book on the Passion this would not be it because I can think of several that are better but it is a nice addition to your collection if you are especially devoted to meditating and studying Our Lord's Passion.