5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for pasta lovers
This is an absolutely essential book for anyone who loves pasta. It is packed with wonderful color photos. The recipes are delicious. Some are quite involved and require exotic ingredients.
Published on May 2, 2000 by Angel Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
Published on May 22, 2010 by Mr. Horton

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for pasta lovers, May 2, 2000
This review is from: The Pasta Bible (Hardcover)
Being so much more than a cookbook, it starts out with a brief history of pasta. It then discusses grain in detail. Pictures of each flour type & an illustration of a wheat grain are included here. There are also pictures all the of pasta tools.
Next, dry pasta is covered. There are great photos of over 125 different pastas, including Asian noodles. It also demonstrates step by step how to make, & shape fresh pasta doughs from scratch.
I loved the inclusion of colored, flavored pastas. The sweet pastas including chocolate noodles are divine. Other great recipes focused on pasta sauces, soups, dumplings, gnocchi, baked pastas and stuffed dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of the highest praise, April 26, 2004
This review is from: The Pasta Bible (Hardcover)
The beginning to the experienced pasta maker will benefit from this book. Large, clearly printed, well outlined and containing lots of photos of the recipes, this book also has the "cooking school" format that has step by step photos. A entire chapter is devoted to dried pasta with photos of the different shapes. Never wonder what casereccie, banane, or grimigna are again! With this book, you will know! Imaginative use of fresh herbs pressed in sheets of pasta, cuisines from Italian to the Orient (and points in between), baked, stuffed, desserts, this book has enough ideas and recipes to get you started and keep you busy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pasta Bible, January 23, 2001
This review is from: The Pasta Bible (Hardcover)
I love this book. It explain how to make pasta from scatch and how to make many differt flavor of pasta. I got a pasta machine for Christmas and these recipes work great for my pasta machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, May 22, 2010
This review is from: The Pasta Bible: The Definitive Sourcebook, With Over 1,000 Illustrations (Hardcover)
My sister-in-law gave me a hand crank pasta machine lately and since I had never made pasta before I purchased this book. The rave reviews gave me the impression that I would be able to learn about pasta, how to make pasta, the techniques of making pasta etc...and I was very dissapointed. The book had more recipes in it than it did information about pasta, and the recipes dont even look that great. I made raviolli from the book tonight, first time using the book, and first time making home made pasta, and honestly, had the book provided more information about actually MAKING pasta then I might be more satisfied. I havent found anything better than this book as of yet, but I am incredibly dissapointed. My reccomendation is if your looking for recipes and a brief history about pasta, then this book is great, if your trying to learn how to make pasta, pasta basics, techniques etc...then keep looking.

4.0 out of 5 stars all recipes need tweeking, March 12, 2010
Good service on the delivery of the book. The book itself has nice ideas for sauces and simple pasta dishes. The one problem I have with the book is the pasta recipes, they all come up short on the moisture content within the recipes, and I'm not talking about a tablespoon of water , its more like a half of a cup or in the spatzle recipe a cup. So in each instance I had to play around with the moisture amount to get the desired pasta consistancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only pasta cookbook you'll ever need to own, February 28, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pasta Bible (Hardcover)
Great illustrations, clear instructions, & lots of recipes. What more could anyone ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Coffee Table Book but Missing Some Essentials, January 7, 2010
I bought the book to learn about the basics of making home made pasta for the first time on a hand crank pasta machine but I found the book to be slim on technical information like how to use a hand crank machine and any tips and tricks. It didn't even tell me how many times to run the pasta sheets through the machine at which settings - which most recipes don't either which creates confusion. Therefore, this beautiful book is more like a museum of pasta rather than a manual for users. The recipes included might prove to be useful but weren't super unusual at first glance. I regret not buying the Cook's Illustrated Pasta book instead - I have a hunch it would have gone through the steps of actually using the machine point by point. But I fell for the color pictures in this book. I don't regret buying it but buyer beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best if you make your own pasta, October 8, 2013
This review is from: The Pasta Bible (Hardcover)
This book is incredible if you make your own pasta. It has an interesting background in the history of making pasta, the different techniques you use to make all different kinds of shapes, plus really great recipes for many different kinds of pasta, like spinach and herb. So if you have a pasta maker and want to try more than just spaghetti, this book really is indispensable. However, the first 66 pages are taken up by this description, so if you don't have a pasta maker, it might not be the perfect cookbook for you. What follows in another 150 pages of recipes and pictures for all different kinds of pasta, including asian noodles and one for chocolate pasta (!). These recipes are interesting partially because they are older, and while it's hard to imagine sometimes, food really does go through fashionable periods and sometimes its nice to remember older ways of cooking that may have fallen out of style for whatever reason.

My problem with this book, though, is that the actual recipes don't really grab me. I much prefer to go to the Silver Spoon Pasta book for new ideas than this one. Maybe it's because this book is actually a translation from a German original, or maybe they really are unimaginative, but the recipes lack oomph, they never make me want to drop what I'm doing and cook right away. So, it's perfect while I'm trying out new ways of making my own pasta, but I see this one collecting dust on my shelf in years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book for the Pasta Lover, May 7, 2012
This is a wonderful book on all types of pasta. As this book has excellent illustrations and descriptions, it is very visual.

I have tried several of the recipes with success. I especially enjoyed the Pappardelle with porcini mushrooms. The Pesto alla Genovese made in a mortar and pestle was very fresh and yummy. And a family favorite is the Pumpkin Ravioli, which is one of the many dishes I can make with pumpkin in the fall.

While I have to perfect my pasta making, I used wanton wrappers for the Pumpkin Ravioli when I did not have success making my own, the recipes in this book are wonderful and offer a wide range for all tastes.

In addition to the cookbook aspect, this book also provids a concise history of pasta, including flour types. Also covered is equipment.

The pasta covered in this book is not limited to Italy, as pasta from other regions is also covered, as are ingredients used for stuffed pasta.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the best title for this book, May 16, 2011
AWESOME! AMAZING! Got this and the rav maker for my husband as a gift, he is a HUGE cook and critic he loved this. The recipes are easy and out of this world. Our favorite is the spinach pasta and the Cream Brouilla sauce. Owe my gosh I am starving thinking about this. If you like cook books you WILL NOT be disappointed!!!! Must have.

The Pasta Bible: The Definitive Sourcebook, With Over 1,000 Illustrations