Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Pastor: A Memoir
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 22, 2011
"...I want to insist that there is no blueprint on file for becoming a pastor. In becoming one, I have found that it is a most context-specific way of life:the pastor's emotional life, family life, experience in the faith, and aptitudes worked out in an actual congregation in the neighborhood in which she or he lives - these people just as they are, in this place. No copying. No trying to be successful. The ways in which the vocation of pastor is conceived, develops and comes to birth is unique to each pastor." - Peterson

Hand-cuffed. I don't even know how to write a review of this book. A review is what you write when it isn't personal. A review is what you do for books. The Pastor is far more than a book. You need to understand that Eugene Peterson saved my vocational soul just over a year ago. And since that time I have been pointing people - especially pastors - to his books. Especially young pastors. So how about a non-review?

Maybe the evangelical world has been a circus for a long time. But I didn't notice. I didn't notice all the center rings, high-trapeze acts and dancing bears. And the unspeakable horror of then realizing you not only paid for a ticket but got paid to take part. You walk out of the arena with sticky soles under you, past the sideshows and into clean air but you have no idea if you should go back in. Who will help you now? Is the insanity the only choice? Is there a voice of sanity in this wilderness?

I remember lying in my bed. The weight of being a pastor was on me and I wanted it off. I knew I needed some help. Maybe circus is the wrong way to describe what is happening in America. For I was surrounded...hemmed in by managers and CEOs, shopkeepers and PR men and women. Marketing analysts and door-to-door salesman of religious goods were everywhere. But I needed a pastor. Lying there, I would've said, "I need a wise old sage." The need was for sanity...Spirit-given sobriety in a religious subculture drunk on the cause célèbre. I needed gray hairs, wrinkles and the experience of someone outside the world I had found myself in. The need was not for all the right answers but good questions. I needed the wisdom of 'a long obedience in the same direction.'

And then, like gifts, memories. Memories of a professor assigning one of Peterson's books for pastors - which I never really `read.' A friend - a fellow pastor - recommending another. And a frozen scene of someone else reading one, the title of which burned in my memory.

So I began reading his books, swallowing them whole sometimes and sipping from them at others. For all of last year. Each was a well-written refuge from the chaos. Every thesis leaving its mark.

Again, sanity.

So when I found out he was releasing his memoirs, I was elated. Do you remember when you were a kid and you kept going back to the same page in the toy section of the Sears Wish Book over and over, reading the description, looking at that toy, the one you wanted more than any other. That is how it was with the description page for The Pastor. And then I got my copy from the publisher. It was late in the afternoon. Too late to start, I waited till the morning. A few days later I was finished. My wife asked me if I was sad. "No, I will begin again tomorrow morning."

Reading a memoir of Eugene Peterson is as reading in another world. A world bereft of 'how' but full to bursting of 'what.' A world without pretension, devoid of formulas. A tome of sober reflection. No romantic vistas of pastoral success. No cheerleading.

Peterson's vision of the pastorate, as dictated by the scriptures, stands athwart the ideal American pastor. Patience over results. The ordinary over the celebrated. People over programs. Dignity over function. Leisurely spiritual direction over ministerial busyness. Prayer over a PR campaign. The even-keeled over the events. It really would be impossible to document how differently he thinks than the current zeitgeist on the definition of pastoral integrity.

Almost everyone knows him as the author of The Message. For this he is loved and hated. But Peterson was a church-planter before it was cool to be so. He was thinking and living through methodology and theology and those inevitable emotionally lean years long before most of today's church planters were born. He was thinking about the dangers of a consumer driven religious atmosphere raising the banner of relevance before we had a category for such.

Don't get me wrong. This is a cheerful book. It's just not full of the saccharine sentimentality or the gritty (edgy?) cynicism we have come to expect from so many famous ministry leaders. Smiles stretch across the pages. Contented belief pervades every chapter. Bound together by the common thread of the work of Christ for sinners - the message once delivered for all the saints sits fixed like an anchor between the covers.

Chronology holds no sway over Peterson's account of his life as a pastor. Poetry does. He moves like a poet through his experiences and insights. His love of words and their sanctity - not just utility - is witnessed in how every word counts. He has no interest in just relating stories for us to learn from. He, as the Pastor, is glorying in them as memories enlivened through words.

But there is a lot to learn.
1313 comments|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2011
Over the years I have benefited immeasurably by the writings of Eugene Peterson. I think just about any dedicated Christian can pick up just about any work by Eugene Peterson and spiritually benefit from it. But this is especially true of pastors, of whom I am one.

Eugene Peterson understands pastors like no one else! The truth is that God has exalted the role of pastor, and yet men continue to demean it, undermine it, or ignore it. Peterson's "The Pastor: A Memoir" is therefore a very welcome work to a man who has become a pastor to pastors. In this work, Peterson hopes to restore the dignity of the role of the pastor. I highly recommend it to all who are called to serve in God's Church, and especially to those who may have lost their way or feel inadequate to the great vocation to which God has called you. It will bring rest to all who are weary and heavy laden.

But Peterson goes about his task in an unusual and refreshing way. What is perhaps most striking about Peterson's work is something suggested by the titles of his chapters. What you don't find is a list of theological themes or pastorals roles but what looks like experiences from Peterson's life. This is because "The Pastor" is the story of the formation of Eugene Peterson as a pastor. Telling his stories is his way of teaching us how to be pastors, for, as he says, there is no one blueprint for how to become and be a pastor. "The Pastor" is a wonderful look at the formation of one pastor, Peterson, told through the stories and experiences by which God formed him as a pastor. Peterson's story, while unique, is also therefore the story of every pastor. There is such a depth of personal wisdom made meaningful to all that "The Pastor" teaches in a way that few other books do.

Another gift that Peterson gives us, in addition to his stories, is an incarnational point of view. The reason why he names his first section "Topos and Kairos" is that the work of the pastor is not an abstract work but is always a call to a specific place (topos) and time (kairos). This is also why Peterson must imbed his advice on how to be a pastor in the real-life stories of his experience as a pastor. In this, we might say that he's following the lead of his Master, Jesus Christ, who presented his theology in terms of the real places, times, and things of the people whose lives He shepherded. Montana will always have a special place in Peterson's life, just as the places of the Bible where God met man became sacred places. We all have such places in our lives, and I regret that in my own life I have too often dedicated myself to the "spiritual" tasks at hand and haven't always appreciated the importance of the precise place and time where God has placed me.

As Peterson recounts the way his mother used to sing and tell Bible stories with a musical incantation, we realize that it's no wonder that Peterson writes with the ear of a poet and has the sense of a master storyteller. I think Peterson is trying to tell us that among everything else a pastor must be he should have a poetic spirit and be a storyteller. Interestingly enough, Peterson also relates that "I had learned much in my father's butcher shop that gave bone and muscle to my pastoral identity." One thing he learned for sure was some of the deeper meanings of the Levitical sacrifices of the Old Testament! From his father's hard work, Peterson also learned the liturgical rhythm of life that served him so well as a pastor.

From these humble beginnings, Peterson shares with us, step by step and story by story, how God led him to be a pastor, including the astounding revelation that to be a pastor meant that you have a congregation. This, in turn, led to the further revelation that not everyone who comes to a church comes for the best or most zealous of reasons! In Chapter 16, Peterson makes explicit what he's already been telling us all along: that a large part of Christianity is getting caught up in the story of Jesus Christ. Stories, Peterson tells us, are unpredictable, and so we get caught up in them. When the gospel is told as a story, we are, Peterson discovered, encouraged to see our own life and church in terms of God's story as well.

I find it interesting as well that Peterson found both his pastoral and authorial identity in John of Patmos, the disciple whom Jesus loved. In this way, Peterson also imaginatively envisions both his life as a pastor and the life of any pastor who is looking for a new and better vision of his sacred ministry.

Peterson closes his meditation on being a pastor with a letter to a young pastor. Like the entirety of the book, it's not at all what you might expect it to be. There's no encouragement that the young pastor is someone special or unique, only that his calling is unique. Instead, Peterson directly states that to be a pastor is to be someone who makes more professional mistakes than other professionals and to be someone who doesn't always have it all together. But that's OK because in the end the life of the pastor (as the life of any Christian) is to be one that is based on a complete trust on God and not oneself.

If you're looking for a different kind of book on pastors and pastoring that just might help you to see what God has been asking you to see for a long time - this just may be the book for you!

Here's an outline of "The Pastor":

25. Presbycostal
26. Emmaus Walks
27. Sister Genivieve
28. Eric Liddell
29. "Write in a Book What You See . . . "
30. My Ten Secretaries

38. Fyodor
39. The Photograph
40. Death in the Desert

Afterword: Letter to a Young Pastor
In The Pastor, Eugene H. Peterson tells "the story of my formation as a pastor and how the vocation of pastor formed me." Peterson is best known as author of The Message, his "translation" of the Bible into "American words and metaphors and syntax." He recently completed a five-volume series--
"conversations"--about spiritual theology. And he has written numerous books about the pastoral vocation, the seedbed out of which all his other books has grown. This memoir narrates the journey of a Pentecostal kid from Montana becoming a Presbyterian pastor in Maryland.

For pastors, it is must-reading. For one thing, Peterson's story shows how God uses the particularity of our circumstances to shape us into the people he wants us to be, under the tutelage of Holy Scripture. For another thing, it offers a searing critique of the commoditization of American religion that turns "each congregation into a market for religious consumers, an ecclesiastical business run along the lines of advertising techniques, organizational flow charts, and energized by impressive motivational rhetoric." And finally, it does all this through a storytelling that alternates between humor, anger, frustration, and hope--the emotions all pastors face in their ministries.

Example: Peterson recounts being bullied by Garrison Johns in elementary school. Instructed by his mother to "turn the other cheek," Peterson endured the insults and beatings until "[s]omething snapped within me." He wrestled his tormentor to the ground, pinned him with his knees, and began pummeling him with his fists. His entreaties, "Say `uncle'" met with no response, so he began shouting, "Say, `I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.'" After a couple more hits, Johns said the words, gaining Peterson his first "convert." How easily the "world" infects the "church" with disease-ridden modes of ministry!

Another example: Early in Peterson's ministry, a local mental health institution invited him and other clergy to a two-year course in therapeutic technique. In the 1960s, when this took place, the pastoral counseling movement was gathering steam. Peterson learned much that was helpful from this instruction. But he also learned that counseling was not the pastor's vocation. "The people who made up my congregation had plenty of problems and more than enough inadequacies, but congregation is not defined by its collective problems. Congregation is a company of people who are defined by their creation in the image of God, living souls, whether they know it or not. They are not problems to be fixed, but mysteries to be honored and revered." That is the pastor's task.

In Peterson's telling, the pastor is "not someone who `gets things done' but rather the person placed in the community to pay attention and call attention to `what is going on right now' between men and women, with one another and with God--this kingdom of God that is primarily local, relentlessly personal, and prayerful `without ceasing.'"

Local, personal, and prayerful. For me, these three words summarize Peterson's take on the pastoral vocation. Pastors lead congregations in a specific place. Montana is not Maryland. American is not Africa. Wise pastors understand the conditions of the place to which God has called them.

And they pay attention to the people among whom God has called them. Peterson quotes Baron Friedrich von Hügel, "there are no dittos in souls." Pastors must minister to people in their individuality, attentive to their inherent contradictions. Like his Uncle Sven, who was adored by his little sister (Peterson's mother), but abhorred by the wife he abused, and who killed him in self-defense: "When I finally did become a pastor, I was surprised at how thoroughly Sven had inoculated me against `one answer' systems of spiritual care." Souls are not dittos, and no ministry is one-size-fits-all.

But mostly, pastors pray, by which Peterson means that they enter an ongoing conversation with God characterized by listening and speaking to him. Early on, Peterson learned that "the vocation of pastor had to be understood entirely under the shaping influence of the biblical text," which teaches the redemption of creation and calls for a response of worship.

Peterson's memoir alternates between exasperation at what American churches so often are and hope at what they could be. He experienced both emotions in his ministry as a Presbyterian pastor in Maryland. But the dominant note of this personal narrative is hope. The church is "a colony of heaven in the country of death, a strategy of the Holy Spirit for giving witness to the already-inaugurated kingdom of God." This definition is not theological boilerplate. Peterson learned it from "wise Christians, both dead and alive." And though a Presbyterian, he shares the Pentecostal conviction that "everything, absolutely everything, in the scriptures is livable," including a different way of being pastor and church in the world.
on February 27, 2012
Eugene Peterson is known in some circles as the guy who got a little too excited about The Shack, the guy who stuck up for Rob Bell and his book Love Wins, and the guy who created The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language : Numbered Edition. In other words, three strikes against him.

But Peterson is also the guy who's written books on the pastoral vocation that stand against the current of the North American church. Books like The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction,Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work, and Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity are gifts to the church and have much to teach us about the shape of pastoral ministry.

So who exactly is Eugene Peterson? The guy who endorses and produces suspicious books, or the guy who writes books that should be read by pastors everywhere?

It turns out that Eugene Peterson is both. In The Pastor: A Memoir you encounter Peterson as the man who discovers that Henry Emerson Fosdick, a renowned liberal, isn't so bad after all; who finds unity in a group of pastors who range "from Christian to Jew, from conservative to liberal, and nearly every shade in between." If you go looking, there's enough to get Peterson written up in a more than a few discernment blogs without much effort.

But you also discover Peterson as the man who has much to teach us about what it means to be a pastor. He doesn't romanticize the pastorate; quite the contrary. But he gets it, and he helps me get it better than any other contemporary writer I know.

Peterson also understands that our culture is not a hospitable place for the pastoral vocation. He is almost seduced by the desire to become a therapist to his congregation, as some pastors do. He struggles with the desire to be a pastor who makes things happen, but is given a portrait that warns him against making this choice. Peterson gets that the church has "twenty different ways to kill you." I can certainly relate to the pastor he describes why he can't find time to talk at a deep level with people about spiritual things: "Because I have to run this damn church!"

Even as I read over my highlights from his book, I realize that this is a book that I need to read again. Peterson has helped confront some wrong ways of thinking as I take my fledgling steps towards planting a church. He's helped me identify some ways that I'm tempted to abandon the pastoral vocation for something more seductive. He offers correctives that are desperately needed, as well as sustenance for pastors who are weary and exhausted.

I needed this book. I'm grateful for what Peterson continues to each me about pastoring. If you, like me, are tired of being told how to pastor by the "sociologists and academics, the psychologists and business executives, the talk-show gurus and religious entrepreneurs," then let Peterson have a turn. You won't be sorry. I promise.
on November 14, 2012
One of my best friends recommended this book to me, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. In this book, Eugene Peterson explores the vocation of pastor, largely through tracing his own journey as a pastor, from his childhood experiences, through his resignation from his twenty-nine years of pastoring Christ the King Presbyterian in suburban Baltimore, Maryland. At times, this book feels more like an autobiography than a memoir; I think this is because of Eugene Peterson's repeated assertion of his conviction that pastoral ministry is a way of life, rather than just a job, and that much of what pastoral ministry involves is listening to people's stories.

And this leads me to what I think is one of this book's great strengths, and that is that Eugene Peterson does an excellent job of articulating what he believes the pastoral ministry is, as well as making it emphatically clear what he believes pastoral ministry is not. This book also gives a very candid look at what pastoral ministry is like "from the inside," although I imagine there are still layers of his ministry that he didn't reveal, for whatever reasons. Another strength of this book is that it helps readers, especially pastors and would-be pastors, to examine pastoral work as vocation, and to come to a fresh, different, and hopefully a better, understanding of what the pastoral vocation is, what it involves, and what its ultimate purpose is. In addition, this book is very readable--Peterson is an excellent writer, and his writing is at times almost lyrical.

I highly recommend this book to any who are either contemplating pastoral work, who are presently involved in pastoral ministry, or who wish to have a better understanding of what it is that pastors in their community do week in, week out. This book is a must-read for every seminarian and every pastor. I think laypeople who want to have a better understanding of their pastors' jobs would also greatly benefit from this book. Nor is this book limited to those from a Presbyterian background; I think this book would benefit anyone from the Christian tradition (both Protestant and Catholic), and even those from the Jewish tradition, since Peterson reports the observation of a Jewish colleague of his that much of what Jewish rabbis do is similar to what Protestant Pastors do.
on March 19, 2011
"Story is a way of language in which everything and everyone is organically related. Story is a way of language that insists that persons cannot be known by reducing them to what they do, how they perform, the way they look. Story uses a language in which listening has joint billing with speaking. Story is language put to the use of discovering patterns and meanings - beauty and truth and goodness: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." - Eugene Peterson The Pastor

You know it's a good book when turning that last page is an emotional experience, when you feel a sense of loss that the story is over.

Eugene Peterson's memoir, The Pastor, is that sort of book.

Peterson shares life and wisdom which seem far disproportionate to the length of the book. He takes you on a journey with him, through childhood memories of butcher-shops and a Christmas with no tree, through the joys of seminary and new love, through the successes and struggles of years in the pastorate, and through integrating the life of the writer.

His prose captivates, bringing each story to life with a slow beauty. Slow not as in dense or plodding, I often found myself pages or chapters in without realizing it, slow as in unhurried. Reading Peterson was in that sense, and in the grounded-ness and wisdom he displayed, much like reading Wendell Berry.

I wish I had read this book years ago, though of course I couldn't have, because reading it has been deeply challenging and transformative for me. It has forced me to look at story, life, faith, church, and congregations with new eyes.

Though not holding back in critiquing the Americanized consumerist church - he suggests "treating souls for whom Christ died as numbers or projects or resources seemed to me something like a sin against the Holy Spirit" and later compares the Church Growth movement to a cancer - he also sees incredible value and necessity in the church, specifically the messy local on-the-ground church.

When my options too often feel like either blindly affirming a broken way of being the church "because I'm supposed to" or tearing it all down and starting over, a voice who's been in the trenches and identifies with both sides yet can hold them in tension was exactly what I needed.

There is much more to The Pastor, both as a vocation and as a book, but no review of mine is going to do that justice. So I'll leave it at this, Peterson's book is one of the best stories I've read in quite some time, and I give it my most enthusiastic recommendation.
Eugene Peterson is well-known in the Christian world, and is probably most famous for translating The Message. He is also the author of numerous books, and for most of his life, has been a pastor.

The Pastor is Peterson's memoir, along with insights on what it means to be a pastor. From his childhood in Montana to beginning his career in New York to a pastorate in Maryland, we are treated to the thoughts and memories of Peterson throughout his life.

This is like two books in one--a biography of Peterson, and a commentary on the lives that pastors lead. The book is well-written, interweaving the two themes seamlessly. Peterson's writing is poetic. You won't find many memoirs that are as well written as this one. I was especially captivated by his memories of growing up in Montana, working in his father's butcher shop and telling his family history.

This is a great book, not just for pastors, but for anyone who is interested in the life of a poetic writer.
on September 24, 2015
The Pastor: A Memoir (2012) by Eugene Peterson is a remarkable book, full of wisdom and beauty. Undoubtedly, Peterson is a storyteller, one who draws the reader into his reflections on a lifetime as a pastor, not as a job, but as a true vocation. From his early life in mountains of Montana to his later aspirations to become a professor, to the transition to becoming a pastor, he paints a thousand pictures with his words.

I said recently that I would like to put this book into the hand of every pastor I know. Peterson has an intimate understanding of the DNA of the pastoral life through his decades of self-reflection and wisdom. He reminds the reader that being a pastor is not simply about the job of preaching, but that it forms his whole person.

For me personally, as my own reading life has matured, I have realized that although I still maintain an appreciation for much theology, I am increasingly interested in what Peterson calls "spiritual theology". On page 238, he wrote "I had understood the Revelation as a work I would later learn to name spiritual theology--entering into the lived quality of theology, writing my way into the primary substratum of life that involves taking the immediate conditions of everyday life--family, work, place, feelings--into the scriptures and gospel story and making a home there. Entering into reimagining and repraying scripture in the details of daily living personally and relationally and in place, right here, right now."

The Pastor is a book I will likely read again. It presents a theology lived, beautifully.
VINE VOICEon December 19, 2011
Early in his memoir Peterson expresses something that has haunted me all my pastoral life - most people, including pastors, don't understand the pastoral vocation. "North American culture does not offer congenial conditions in which to live vocationally as a pastor. Men and women who are pastors in America today find that they have entered into a way of life that is in ruins....I couldn't help observing that there was a great deal of confusion and dissatisfaction all around me with pastoral identity" (pgs. 4-5). We do understand CEO-styled leaders, marketing research, therapy, managerial techniques, self-help tips and tricks, but we don't understand the role of pastor in the family, in the church, in the community. Thankfully, Eugene Peterson has given us a contemporary guiding light out of this self-imposed darkness.

The subtitle, "A Memoir" is an accurate portrayal of the warp and woof of the text. Peterson does not take the book as an opportunity to write a pastoral theology, though the whole book speaks to a biblical rootedness and a theology of pastoral work. He does not craft a chronological biography, though it does roughly begin with his formative years as a boy in Montana, and ends with deaths of his parents and his career after his pastoral work in Maryland. Each step on the book is his reflection on how God formed his life and lead him to the (then surprising) work of a pastor, and how even after leaving his pulpit in Maryland he continued to pastor a different kind of congregation through his books and the translation of The Message. One of the pleasant surprises along the way for me was the inclusion of his wife, Jan, as part of the pastoral work. Her demeanor and hospitality are attractive qualities in their story, and we forget the role of "pastor's spouse" to our own peril.

I'm not sure this book lends itself to some kind of a formal review, for what I received from it was vocational clarity and encouragement, not technical knowledge. The pastor's job is not dictated to them by the expectations of the surrounding culture, or for that matter from a lot of the evangelical pastoral culture which has become subject to the first pressure. The pastor is unique. Their role is not dictated by clocks and standard measures of success and failure. They lead in worship. They are formed by and strive to form others by the Word of God. Their lives are integrated wholes where the Spirit does His work to connect God's creation and work with His people.

I firmly believe Peterson paints a portrait we need to see. Pastors and congregations need to let it soak in. And, somehow, it needs to become the kind of portrait the world around us sees.
VINE VOICEon October 21, 2011
I read this book twice (kindle version and audiobook version) in a couple months after it first came out.

The main reason I love reading with Peterson is that his language and purpose are deeper than most other contemporary Christian writing. Peterson has a deep use of language, not that he is difficult to understand, but that he is very careful in his imagery and it takes time to process all that he is saying.

If you have not read any of Eugene Peterson theology books, then this is a good introduction. It is very personal, and gives context to much of the other theological writing. But Peterson also intentionally writes about why he thinks he developed as he did as a pastor, theologian and writer. There are several overlapping themes in this book and his previous book Practice Resurrection. The most important is he focus on stability as a pastor. Peterson started one church and remained pastor there until he left the pastorate to concentrate on The Message Bible, 29 years in total. Over and over I was struck by the number of times he said things like, "and it took me 10 years to come to the understanding that..."

This is spiritual autobiography in the best sense of the word. It gives a sense of how we develop as Christians and how we can develop into our vocation whether we are pastors or not.

I think most pastors will benefit from this, and I have already passed it on to several pastors that are friends and family. I would encourage you to read it and then give that copy (or another) to your pastor. It really is very, very good.

About half way through this second reading I think I understood what Peterson was trying to do in a different way. Peterson, through his own story, is showing us different way to conceive of the role of pastor. That is part of why I liked the book so much the first time I read it. But it is more than simply giving a new language. He is outright rejecting the way that most of us conceive the role of pastor. I had started reading the very good economics book "The Economics of Good and Evil" and was thinking about how the author was deconstructing our ideas about what Economics was capable of explaining. I understood that the book was particularly post-modern, in a very good way, because it was attempting to work through the variety of ways that Economics had been conceived through the texts of ancient and modern literature. Using these texts Sedlacek was able to help us understand the the modern, mathematical, predictive understanding of Economics is not only recent, but just one of many ways that Economics can be conceived. In many ways, this is exactly what Peterson is doing. He is doing it not through a variety of ancient texts, but through his own memoirs. Peterson is helping us, whether parishioner or pastor ourselves, to see that the modern, CEO, pastoral counselor, mega-church Preacher, etc., is but a recent understanding of a role that goes back thousands of years. We do not have to adopt the recent definition, instead we can adopt a different definition, one that is counter-cultural, but that Peterson thinks is more biblical.