5.0 out of 5 stars Silent, but Dead-On, May 10, 2011
This review is from: The Patsy (DVD)
For years I'd heard nothing but negative things about Marion Davies as an actress, and I knew almost nothing else about her beyond the usual comparisons between the characters in Citizen Kane and Davies and Hearst - that Davies was a terrible actress who succeeded in Hollywood only because of Hearst's money and influence. The truth is Marion Davies was a good actress and a gifted comedienne, and The Patsy proves my case. Davies is very funny throughout; and on those occasions where she parodies Gloria Swanson, Lillian Gish, and Pola Negri, she's brilliant. An excellent print too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem., May 6, 2014
This review is from: The Patsy (DVD)
Here is a silent movie that would be a secure introduction to the silent movie era. One will see readily why Marion Davies was such a top flight comedian. Her performance and that of another movie great, Marie Dressler will surely create a desire for novices to silent cinema to see more and more. If this was a sound film the result would be the same; pure enjoyment and the thought that "How come I didn't know about movies like this before". As I said before AN ABSOLUTE GEM.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved everything about it., January 19, 2014
This review is from: The Patsy (DVD)
To get past it: Orson Welles always said that he did not use Marion Davies as the inspiration for Citizen Kane's Susan Alexander. I am not sure how the comparison got started, but Davies was an incredible comedic actress. As mentioned, she does some wicked imitations of her peers; if you love silent movies you will know who she is portraying.

My favorite part is when she is having a regular conversation, then abruptly turns her head to look at her love object adoringly. I think you have to see it to get how funny it is.

I have often read that Show People is considered her best film, but I think this one is.

ss

4.0 out of 5 stars Good movie, bad DVD-R, March 28, 2013
This review is from: The Patsy (DVD)
Patricia Harrington (played by Marion Davies) is the youngest daughter of Ma and Pa Harrington (Marie Dressler & Dell Henderson), forever trailing behind her more attractive and alluring sister, Grace (Jane Winton). Ma places great hopes for social advancement in Grace, and she makes sure that Patsy stays out of Grace's way. To make matter worse, Patsy is in love with Grace's latest beau, Tony (Orville Caldwell). And when Grace begins two-timing with another man, Patsy seizes her chance. But, she's going to have to get past Ma if she's going to have a chance.

This is a rather fun 1928 movie. It was the golden age of the silent movie, and William Randolph Hearst liked backing Ms. Davies' movies. The movie itself is very good, with a fairly simple plot. Marion does the bulk of the acting, showing a wide range of emotions and even mimicking some other famous starlets. It's a fun movie with a lot of heart, and I quite enjoyed it.

I do, though, have to take off (at least!) one star for the format. I could not get it to play on my computer, which was a real disappointment. This is not a $2.00 movie, so I think you do have a right to expect more than a DVD-R.

The Patsy
The Patsy by King Vidor (DVD - 2009)
$17.99 $10.99