5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderful book!
Published on December 21, 2004 by L. Gillen

3.0 out of 5 stars Promotes kindness, but...
Published on February 10, 2012 by A.Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderful book!, December 21, 2004
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
I found "The Peace Book" one day when I was just looking around the bookstore, not really planning on buying anything. The cover is bright and colorful and since my children and I had read some of Todd Parr's other books I had to pick it up to see what he had written this time. I loved it so much that I bought multiple copies- one for myself, one for a relative and one for my son's Kindergarten teacher. It is a lovely book... Simple, colorful pictures, and simple, but touching and meaningful words. The idea of peace, especially in a time when our country is at war, can be hard to explain to children and I found the things that Mr. Parr writes about to be a beautiful way to express what peace can be. My personal favorite is the page for "Peace is being free", but each line and the pictures that go with them are just wonderful. This is the kind of book that you hope kids can take something from, and I highly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Peace and Justice Advocates to Grandchildren, November 24, 2004
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
I stumbled across this book at the library. I checked it out and I am telling my friends about it for their own children and grandchildren. This conveys the variety of different expressions of concerns about peace and justice. The concepts are presented in ways that children can understand: "peace is sharing a meal" "peace is keeping the streets clean." These are the moral values I value. The writing and illustrations are fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book....., April 9, 2006
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
Quiet and subtle, The Peace book doesn't have a hidden agenda. It has a message of love and tolerance and how easy it is to make a small difference in a big world.

I bought ten copies and all ten are going to adult friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great baby gift!, August 24, 2006
Indy Family (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book. Not only is the sentiment lovley, the pictures are bright and bold, and appealing to little kids of all ages. We began reading it to our daughter when she was just a few months old, and she enjoyed the illustrations and the soothing text. Our three year old loves it as well, and we have wonderful discussions about what "peace" means to different people. I have given it to coutless friends as a baby gift, and everybody has raved about it! Really, you can't go wrong here - just order it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Promotes kindness, but..., February 10, 2012
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
Perhaps this book should have been called "some nice and diverse things to do and help the earth while you're at it book." My kids are 5 and 7 so perhaps they're too old to enjoy the simplicity of this book; for me, most of it just didn't translate as peace. For example, "Peace is traveling to different places" - uh no, that's just traveling. If a 19 year old goes to Aruba for spring break, that's not peace, it's a 19 year old going to Aruba for spring break.

I gave the book 3 stars because I don't want to be harsh on a book that promotes kindness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this book 4 times, September 2, 2007
C. J. Dunn (Annapolis, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
I love this book and have bought 4 copies of it to give as gifts. I originally stumbled across it in a store and gave it to my niece for her 2nd birthday. Since then each time my wife and I have been presented with the need for a gift for a small child we have come to Amazon and bought the book. I also got one for our church's childrens library. The pictures and colors are great. One line of text per page and the message is awesome. In a world where "Peace" is so often defined as the absense of war, it is nice to see a book with many interpretations that help to define the word for children in positive terms, not by what it is not.

"Peace is having enough pizza in the world for everyone!" What kid won't understand that?

The book also comes in two sizes. Both are fine, but if you are planning on using it to read to a group of children (at church, school, or a library) I would recommend the larger size.

5.0 out of 5 stars love, love this book!!!, June 25, 2007
L. Bieber (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
We received this as a Christmas present for our daughter and we all enjoy it tremendously. I'll never forget reading it to her as a toddler and coming to the page where the boy and his dog are thinking of each other and her saying "he loves the dog, the dog loves him. love, love.. two loves!" The illustrations are adorable and the message is as simple as that: love, love. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars auntie, September 1, 2007
Auntie (Long Branch, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
A four year old boy seems to think if you are for peace you can't enjoy the power rangers and other toys with weapons. This book explains what peace is. This four year old boy seems to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Peace Book, November 8, 2006
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my staff to share with their students during International Peace Day. It's colorful, student illustrated and endearing for all ages. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and uplifting, January 15, 2006
K. A. Mills (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Peace Book (Hardcover)
I stumbled upon this book at Cracker Barrel, of all places, but I couldn't put it down and wound up buying a copy for our church library. Parr uses colorful, simple illustrations and relatable examples to help young children grasp the concept of peace, and he does so without preachiness or self-righteousness. The visuals jump off the page. This would make a great gift for young children or their parents, and I suspect it would be a treasured item for years to come. It is one of the nicer children's books I have seen in a while.

The Peace Book
The Peace Book by Todd Parr (Hardcover - September 8, 2004)
$15.99