Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 15, 2007
Peebles is not afraid to share the details of his success-- and failure- in this book that shares his own name. Peebles started his business in Washigton DC as a property assesor-- which started out as a family business. A driven man he quickly reviewed the business landscape and realized what kinds of networks and contacts he needed to build a business. Peebles grew this business into a investment and property development business until today-- where he owns office buildings, hotels and apartment buildings throughout the US. What is great about this book--in comparison to other entrepeneur stories, is that Peebles takes you inside the deals that made his business and shares the tennants of success. These principles, as he calls them, are applicable to anyone who wants to get started in their own business.
on November 19, 2015
I appreciate how surprisingly candid and open Don Peebles was in this book. He shares all the details of how he got started, how he found his deals, how he found people to partner with him, how he used contracts and maneuvers to protect himself, etc. So often you hear people talk about their success but never share the practical steps they took along the way. Don Peebles isn't one of those people. He even demonstrates how to fight opponents while still having integrity and a win-win attitude towards everyone involved in the deal. He's a great example to follow for anyone who wants to develop real estate.
on January 9, 2014
This is a good read. I appreciate his transparency and honesty about what is was like for him to rise as a minority in a field that is usually shut out for many african americans. As I grow my firm I rely on the candid input that he has shared in this book.
on December 21, 2011
I'm usually a spot reader when it comes to these "lessons in business" type books. This was a page turner with great insight and advice. I read the book start to finish. I think you can't personally teach some of these traits. Don was just born with some of these skills and attributes. Nonetheless, it was a great read and good advice if you are able to incorporate some of these attributes in your business life.
on September 23, 2007
I can't stop talking about this book! I first heard Mr. Peebles on the Steve Harvey morning show. I was impressed. Then, I had the pleasure of hearing him speak at a Michigan Minority Business Development Council/General Motors event. I was even more impressed. I took home my autographed copy of his book that day and began reading it. I was addicted! I could not put it down! Every spare moment I had, I was in this book! He literally becomes your mentor. This book is a practical application manual. He shares what went wrong and what went right, he names names and pulls no punches! Mr. Peebles has put to shame many other authors, claiming to want to teach us how to become rich in real estate or other industries, for holding out on us!
on December 15, 2007
This is a great book. The main lesson I learned from this book is that there are different degrees of thinking, and if you're going to think anyway, you mind as well think BIG. Thinking big feeds upon itself, creating more and more success. Thinking BIG also helps facilitate creativity. If one thinks small, set-backs will inevitably cause them to quite before the BIG rewards come. I agree with other's comments who say that the power in this book comes from "going along" with the author, and in essence being a part of his successes and failures.

The author's writing style gives credence to the lists of principles he produces at the end of each chapter. It's written well; not too long, not too short. One of the risks of the author's writing style is that the reader might get sidetracked into viewing the book as entertaining, and not take out the numerous gems to apply to their own entrepreneurial endeavors. I've read it once for enjoyment and now will read it again to extract the numerous gems.

I appreciated and enjoyed the author's "tell it like it is" candor. I believe that is one of the traits that has made him successful. However, I got a bit uncomfortable when he would name people he claimed as being dishonest or lacking in judgment. He did this as a matter of fact, which I feel is a bit unfair to the accused. Chances are high they were dishonest and lacked judgment, but to state it as a fact in a book, I thought was a bit unfair. But that is being picky (unless you're one of the accused); all-in-all this is a great book for aspiring entrepreneurs!
on May 19, 2007
This is a great book that provides real insight into what it takes to complete complex real estate transactions. Unlike many other business autobiographies, Peebles shares both his successes and failures. This honesty separates the book from others in its genre and makes it an invaluable read for anyone looking to succeed in the real estate field or any other transaction oriented business.

This book is an enjoyable read with lots of outstanding war stories and practical advice that will serve as a valuable tool for both the novice real estate investor and the experienced deal maker. In fact, the more experience one has the more the book will resonate. As the owner of a real estate investment firm I plan to buy several copies and make it required reading for my team.
on September 23, 2007
This is a very easy to read, step-by-step book of the anatomy of a deal. Often we say that we would like to be the lamp in the room of a big deal and Peebles puts us there time and time again! The candor and honesty expressed regarding the deal structure and his thoughts behind the decisions made was nothing short of generous! I have been in business for seven years. I could not figure out why my firm had not advanced to the next level... Now I understand! For a man, independently wealthy, he charitably gives the rest of us some insight to advancing our own goals and closing our own deals! I have recommended the book to at least 10 colleagues in two weeks!
on June 7, 2008
Having recently taken a job where I need to understand the complexities of commercial real estate deals, I purchased this book after seeing Mr. Peebles on CNBC's Squawk Box and am glad I did. More than just discussing the technical aspects of the deals, the stories of the downsides were particularly riveting -- a side of the journey that you'll rarely hear from most successsful business people. It's a great story of perseverence and growth, and an important read for aspiring entrepreneurs. I'd also recommend it to business students and anyone facing a career crisis.
on November 14, 2013
Just not good. Not many people have a political connection that can open doors. It does not have practical ways to apply for an individual trying to start in the business. Did not even complete book