Published on October 21, 2011 by DVD Verdict

3.0 out of 5 stars More Like a Love/Hate Letter from "Star Wars" Fans
I hesitate to call "The People vs. George Lucas" a documentary film. It is more like a passionate love letter (and hate letter as well) from millions of "Star Wars" fans in the world. Though I enjoyed listening to what these fans have to say, I think for many avid fans living in the time of the internet, the film has nothing new to offer.

The considerable...
Published on October 1, 2012 by Tsuyoshi

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot of fun with some truly deep and pointed questions lurking under its humorous surface, October 21, 2011
DVD Verdict (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
Patrick Naugle, DVD Verdict --The People vs. George Lucas is essentially one long rant for the fans. Although it certainly falls on the side of letting art stay as it was originally created--e.g. "George, stop mucking around with your movies!"--it also attempts to lend a sympathetic tone to Lucas and his revisions. Although the man has made fans furious with his tinkering (and become the one thing he always loathed: a businessman), moviegoers also wouldn't have their beloved Star Wars universe without his vision and filmic genius. On one hand, the Star Wars movies are owned by Lucas, and he should be allowed to do whatever he wants with them. But is it hypocritical for a man who stood up against Ted Turner for colorizing classic movies be allowed to rewrite his own cinematic history? Weighty questions, indeed.

Lest this sound like a downer of a film, The People vs. George Lucas is also a celebration of the entire Star Wars franchise; there are interviews with fans, fan films (some good, some...not so good), fan videos, fan writings (Wookie Poetry!), and fan appreciation for everything George has given us. Director Alexandre O. Philippe (in his first major film) has given a good portion of runtime to defending Lucas and his creations (well, except for Jar Jar Binks). Interview subjects run the gamut from writer Neil Gaiman (Neverwhere) and producer Gary Kurtz (The Empire Strikes Back), to casual fans and fan filmmakers, all offering their personal opinions on the subject. While I wouldn't consider this an exhaustive dissertation on the Star Wars universe, it's certainly a fun look at how fans feel about Lucas and the decisions he's made.

When the dust finally settles, The People vs. George Lucas doesn't really provide any rock solid answers. Some think Lucas is the devil, while others hold him up as a film God to be revered for all eternity. While everyone seems to want the original movies as they remember them, the idea of art vs. its creator muddies the issue. Fans will find this love/hate relationship core of the film fascinating, no matter what side you fall on.

The People vs. George Lucas is presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen. The transfer looks good, but is understandably uneven; some footage is reference quality (like some fun animation sequences), while others look mediocre (mostly the off-the-cuff interview segments). Considering the genre, fans won't likely have a problem with the image quality.

The audio is presented in Dolby 5.1 Surround and, much like the video transfer, the mix is neither exceptional nor poor. Dialogue, music, and effects are all easily heard without any defects or interference. Also included are English and Spanish subtitles.

Bonus materials are slim, but should satisfy fans. The best is a screen-specific audio commentary with director Philippe, cinematographer Robert Muratore, and editor Chard Herschberger; the three presenting a lively discussion of the production. We also get bonus interviews with producer Gary Kurtz, deleted poetry slam footage (yawn), a comment on the forthcoming 3D versions, and a music video for the subtly titled song "George Lucas Raped Our Childhood."

-Full review at dvdverdict.com

4.0 out of 5 stars An extremely entertaining for-the-fans movie about what people thought of the prequels. Very funny. I say A, October 18, 2011
Tony Heck (Belgrade, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
"I love/hate George Lucas, I love/hate him hard." A documentary that deals with the "Star Wars" saga. Unlike most other movies about this subject this one is a series of interviews with people telling about their love of the original three movies, and the hatred of the prequels. It begins with people telling about how their childhood was shaped by the movies and the extremes they go to to show it. Not only do the people have all multiple copies of all the movies but the merchandise they have is amazing to see. This movie is worth watching just to listen to and watch the passion the fans have and how they almost crucify Lucas for what he did with the prequels. Interviews mixed with homemade tribute movies make the movie very funny and very interesting. Much like "The Captains", this is a movie that will appeal to more then just fans of the series. The most amazing part of the movie is that there are points where you feel like you should defend Lucas against the things people are saying about him. Overall, this is an extremely entertaining documentary that will appeal to all viewers, not just "Star Wars" fans. One of the best for-the-fans movies I have ever seen, and a very worth while watch. I give it an A.

*Also try - Captains & Fanboys

3.0 out of 5 stars More Like a Love/Hate Letter from "Star Wars" Fans, October 1, 2012
Tsuyoshi (Kyoto, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)

The considerable portion of the film's running time is spent on interviews with "Star Wars" fans and the "fan film" footage. And it seems most fans interviewed here are disappointed and even angered by the reissued "Star Wars" trilogy, and their prequels. It is easy to dismiss their complaints as nit-picking - "Who shot first - Han or Greedo?" - but the film suggests that there is something more to the voices of the disenchanted fans. What it is, however, "The People vs. George Lucas" does not tell us much.

Another disappointing thing about the film is that we are not allowed to hear much from the creators and artists. Not surprisingly George Lucas seems to have refused to be interviewed (he only appears in archive footage), and those who agreed to appear - including the writer Neil Gaiman and the "Star Wars" producer Gary Kurtz - reveal little, and is very guarded about what they say.

If nothing else, the film will be a visual record that will remind us of the excitement of the time when we first saw "Star Wars" back in 1977, and then "Episode 1." It was a massive cultural phenomenon, something we look back with nostalgia.

4.0 out of 5 stars More then fair, October 31, 2011
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
I missed seeing this when it came to a few select theatres in my neck of the woods. The main movie is broken down into 4 segments or "episodes" as the authers did it. With a mix of fan reactions, interview footage with Lukas at various points in history.

Darkwater, HIRAM & thetraveler333 have the more in-depth reviews. Anything else I would write would echo most of what they wrote.

I did like the easter egg extras more then another reviewer did, particularly the fan reaction to the 3D versions. If there's one thing I would say that I would've liked the makers of this movie to delve into, possibly as another easter egg, is the expanded STAR WARS universe (Tales of the Jedi, the various novels, Legacy era, & soon the upcoming MMO) & how it relates to what Lukas has been doing. Hows the reaction on peoples ends on that equasion?

Regardless, if you're a STAR WARS fan, particularly if you're old enough to remember even 1 of the original movies (long) before Lukas began with the changes then you do yourself a disservice by not seeing or having this film in your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great homage to us folks old enough to remember 1977 with reverence!, March 7, 2013
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
I was eight years old when my dad finally got around to taking us to see Lucas's magnum opus in December of 1977. It was as much a part of my childhood as kick the can (remember that??) and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

This documentary brilliantly illustrates the disillusionment so many of us have felt over the last fifteen years. From the poorly made judgment calls in the "special editions" to the introduction of midichlorians and Jar Jar, it's been a rocky number of years for us folks who remember how important and significant his little space opera was to our generation. This film speaks to us and, surprisingly, FOR us. The film acts as an advocate for the disillusioned, but also as an advocate for the man who is "the creator". It does a great job of playing devil's advocate and is surprisingly balanced as well. It's not 90 minutes of Lucas bashing....it clearly illustrates the love/hate relationship we have. It's almost like the parental love/hate relationship. I've always loved my parents...but there were times I truly thought I hated them as well. The point being......he gave me some of the best memories of my youth. The original trilogy, Indiana Jones, a truckload of REALLY fun toys, and the desire to let my imagination fly to galaxies far far away....all thanks to him. Can I really bring myself to loathe him for letting Greedo shoot first??? The answer is yes....and no. Like any loving relationship, there are tons of grey areas. This film cleverly (and lovingly) sorts through those grey areas and provides a loving and light-hearted tribute to a creator/visionary, and those of us who love/hate the hell out of him.

Certainly a must see for those of you who cringed when the fridge was nuked, or cried out loud when Greedo shot first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellow Nerf Herders rejoice., November 21, 2011
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
I really wasn't sure what to expect from this film.
Would it be a "bash Lucas" fest or would it defend him?
I was surprised it managed to do both very well.
For all of us who grew up with the original trilogy who feel betrayed by George's constant tinkering this movie is justice.
That said the film also paints Lucas in a sympathetic light somewhat.
I do kind of feel bad for him that the Star Wars universe has become somewhat of a prison for him.
No matter what he does, it will never be good enough for some diehards.
I would really like Lucas to say "heck with it" and just start making movies again that are separate from the "Wars" universe.
Even if they bomb, who cares?
He really needs to free himself as a director and an artist and just go for it again.
In this movie there are TONS of interviews.
Both pro and con for what George has done over the years.
I think the criticism lobbed at "Menace" was a tad overdone.
I would have saved that for "Clones" lol.
All in all.
Funny.
Entertaining.
A must watch for Nerf Herders everywhere.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars People vs George Lucas, September 2, 2011
This review is from: The People Vs George Lucas (DVD)
My husband & I saw a screening of this film in 2010 at C2E2 (Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo) -- it was fantastic. Very much a not to miss film if you are a Star Wars fan -- has a lot of interesting & thought provoking information in it. I'm definitely going to pre-order my DVD copy. Thanks to the filmakers -- great movie as I've been saying & will keep saying... People Vs George Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 1, 2012
Jim Guyer (Jacksonville, Florida) - See all my reviews
This is wonderful. They finaly make a film to tell George Lucas everyting we have been wanting him to hear for a long time. Lucas likes to say "Everybody yells at me" Well, for one thing, you left us hanging for 18 years, and when it finaly came, we got Jar-Jar Binks farting in the camera and stepping in Bantha manure. SOmeone needed to remind Lucas that he is very well paid and that his riches come from our pockets, therefore he is obligated to give us a quality product in a timely manner. He has to stop biting the hands that feeed him with his "screw you if you don't like it" attitude toward the fan base.

This movie hits the nail on the head. It is very satisfying to see it finaly spelled out in such a clear and concise way, once and for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Han Shot First, November 15, 2013
This review is from: The People Vs. George Lucas [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Han Shot Firstry has generated heated discussions with colleagues and friends, inspired normally quiet adults into ire and passionate rage. We have debated loudly and tearfully character, plot and artistic licence. Of course, I am a fan of Star Wars of the Han shot first ilk. I have watched this documentary twice just so fellow devotees could participate in renewed conversation and tender memories of seeing A New Hope for the first time ( In theaters). Fans will recognize themselves inthis film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedic Hate, November 12, 2013
I was a kid when the 1997 box set came out and my dad and I were over the moon. Although the trilogy additions allow you to emerse further into a galaxy far, far away, unfortunately the nostalgia has kind of worn for me. Regardless, here are some key points from the film:
-It examines the love and hate relationship that people have for George Lucas and his work
-It defines George Lucas from his early life to his career today
-Follow the economic and cultural times that drew people to the movie theatres and the inspiration it gave fans worldwide to create their own films and art
-Changes made between the 1977 original and all others after, specifically the constraints on time, money and effects when shooting in 1977
-Debate over an artists' right to continually make changes as they grow and a fans' right to fall in love with the original and unaltered artists' work
-Fury over Lucas' double standard that old movies shouldn't be altered and colorized as it is our duty to preserve our culture, yet his disregard for this standard when re-making Star Wars in 1977 and forever ruining the original film and prints
-The morph of how George Lucas started fighting against corporations and how he's "become" the corporation...bottom line merchandising is only successful here because of fans continuing to buy into it!
-Very neat collection of b-role footage from fan movies, skits and parodies that blend seamlessly into the different arguments

Overall, I highly recommend this movie whether you are a star wars fan or not, this is comedic and gives great inside perspective on George Lucas and the Star Wars trilogy.

The People Vs. George Lucas [HD]