5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Game is a Winner!
Published on March 4, 2009 by L. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing
It was a little far-fetched. I watched the original LL World Series that these kids played in on Wide World of Sports. ABC did a special on them called "How tall is a giant." The kids sang a very catchy tune in Spanish that I distincly remember hearing. I was hoping this movie captured that, but it didn't.
Published 10 months ago by carol denardo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Game is a Winner!, March 4, 2009
I was privileged to see this in preview before its scheduled theatre release date in August of 2008. Unfortunately, it never made it to theatres, but is Well worth the purchase. It is a heartwarming, beautiful movie with a message that is serious, but not serious enough to take anything away from the good humor of this film based on a true story that deserves to be retold for ages to come. Cheech Marin and Clifton Collins, Jr. (Gonzales-Gonzalez) give awe-inspiring performances, and a number of timely issues like women in sports reporting, racism, prejudice, and unfortunately stereotypical white baseball players from the 50's (sad-to-say, from my childhood home team of the St. Louis Cardinals) who give the only vulgar reference, to an athletic supporter, in the entire movie. Truly gives you something to cheer about. A MUST-SEE!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Game, April 18, 2010
What a dramatic movie !! How a small poor team from a third world country can be so powerful on courage, stamina and overcoming prejudice !!! I recommend this movie who believes than anything that cannot come true can come true ! A must see movie for all parents who have kids that play baseball that they to can be world champions !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic true story about one of the biggest underdogs in baseball history, great for the whole family. I say A-, July 27, 2011
Tony Heck (Belgrade, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Game (DVD)
"They weigh 35 pounds less and are about 6 inches shorter, but in every other way they are like the American kids." The unbelievable true story about a little league team from Mexico with dreams of playing in the little league world series. The movie starts with Cesar (Collins Jr.) being realeased from the St. Louis Cardinals and moving back to Mexico. A group of kids who love baseball recruit him to be thier coach. When they are finally approved to get a official little league team thier journey begins. This is a fantastic movie. While I'm sure liberties were taken, this is a movie so unbelievable that it if weren't true it would be way too cheesy to be good. As it is though, this movie is a little hokey in some parts, but the fact that it's true makes it OK. For those that know the story behind this it will be very enjoyable to you. For those that don't I won't give anything away but do yourself a favor and watch this movie. Overall, a very touching baseball movie that is good for the whole family. A real like "Sandlot". I really like it, but I also am a sucker for sports movies. I give it an A-.

Would I watch again? - I think I would

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5-Starfish Gem & the Power of Dreams! Watch it on Apr 16 opening day, April 12, 2010
The review will be published on We Chinese in America newspaper on the film's opening day 4-16-2010! and

[...]

I will also review this film on San Diego's KUSI channel 9 on opening day April 16 at 7:20 am.

-----------------

Have you ever had a dream or vision that is almost impossible to achieve? In the film "The Perfect Game," a rag tag gang of boys from a rural poor area of Monterey, Mexico had a dream of playing Little League Baseball in America. Under their circumstances, you could call that dream impossible, but it is based on a true story in the 1950's.

The main characters of this film are Angel Macias, the gutsy talented pitcher of the Monterey Little League team, and the straight-talking coach Cesar, who gives the team inspiration, courage, and lots of laps (hard work!).

Angel became miserable once his older brother died and his father deserted him while grieving for the dead brother. Angel ran away from home when he heard his father saying he would never be like his older brother. He soon recovered his good spirit when he found a baseball that was the property of the St. Louis Cardinals team. Each one of his friends was enraptured and in awe as they marveled at the real baseball (A ball was a big find in their village. They were so poor that they used grass, yarn, and twigs to make a baseball).

The budding team was still in need of a coach though, so Angel set out to find one. While practicing his skills, he woke up a man having his siesta. His name was Cesar who worked at the same steel plant as Angel's father, and he claimed that he was the coach of the St. Louis Cardinals. With disheveled hair and dirty, sweaty clothes, Cesar did not look like a coach at all! But what caught Angel's eye was his perfect pitch and unrivaled batting skills! How did the coach of the famous St. Louis Cardinals end up in a dirt poor place like Monterey, Mexico? You will find out that Cesar had a secret past...

Another key character is the priest from the church in Monterey. He gives the boys confidence, imagination, wisdom, and love with gentle strength. He is like a solid rock for the boys to lean on. The boys are connected to him and refused to play until he gave them the blessings.

Under the leadership of coach Cesar, the boys went on an unimaginable winning streak across America, beyond their wildest dreams!

In a moving scene in the film, the Mexican boys walked over to the lone black kid who was on the opposing American team, and shared their lunch with him. In the 1950's, the racial landscape was an embarrassing page in American history: African Americans and Mexicans cannot share bathrooms or dining areas with whites. So the discriminated united together.

My favorite part of the film was when Angel and his dad made up at the end. It was really touching and my mom even cried. A funny scene was when the boys introduced the new player whose names was Mario to coach Cesar as "good with girls."

The Perfect Game is absolutely Perrific! It is flawless, and I give it 5 starfish, the first live action film to receive 5 starfish rating! Wow, that is worth celebrating! It has all the right ingredients that make a "Perfect" movie: It grabs your attention right away with rich characters, awesome storyline, and unexpected twists and turns. It even has some light-hearted romance mixed in, and sprinkles of humor throughout. At the press screening, I heard explosions of laughter in the theater from kids and adults alike. I urge everyone to go see this inspiring film when it opens on April 16! Remember to bring a lot of Kleenex...

I can relate to this movie because I had an almost impossible dream too and I achieved it!!! I always thought that I am a better artist than a movie critic because I have been drawing since I was three and writing movie reviews since I was eight. My dream was to become a real artist and filmmaker. Last Friday (April 2), the Oscar-nominated animator Bill Plympton and his director friend Kevin Sean Michaels invited me to animate their next new film! I was ecstatic when I heard the news!

The new animation film, based on a true story, is about Ingrid Pitt, a young Jewish girl who survived the concentration camp during the Holocaust. It is called "Beyond the Forest." I met Bill Plympton and Kevin Sean Michaels last year at Comic-Con in San Diego where Plympton's animated short "The Fan and the Flower" (which I LOVED and gave 5 starfish rating) was screened at the San Diego International Film Festival. Plympton and Michael were surprised to see the impromptu "Hot Dog" drawing I made right next to Plympton's own "Hot Dog" from his short with the same name. We became fast friends right there!

I have always loved movies and saw my first movie when I was three years old. I became an "accidental" 8-year-old movie critic in November 2008 when my mom asked me to write a movie review for "Charlotte's Web." She wanted me to do something more challenging after my 3rd grade teacher Ms. Joli Harris told her at the parent teacher conference that I was decoding words at high school level. I could never imagine when I wrote my first movie review that one day I would have the opportunity to interview some of the most talented filmmakers from my favorite movies. I was honored to meet and interview the Oscar-winning Pete Docter of Up, Oscar-nominee John Musker and Ron Clements of "The Princess and Frog," Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders of "How to Train Your Dragon," and multiple award-winning French animation master Michel Ocelot of "Azur & Asmar." That's why "The Perfect Game" truly resonates with me.

This movie is about faith, perseverance, teamwork, overcoming racial prejudice, and the power of dreams: If you believe, you can achieve!

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD TRUE STORY FLICK, March 20, 2012
THE PERFECT GAME

The Perfect Game is very close to being a perfect movie, and it just may be for this type of film. This movie is based on a book by W. William Winokur which is a true story. The story is about the little league championship tournament of 1957. It is one of those feel good family flicks but it should be considering who the film is about. There are some very grown up themes and events in the movie which I will get to later on.

The film follows Cesar Faz after he loses his job as a janitor for the MLB team St. Louis Cardinals. He moves back to Monterrey Mexico where the local kids care only for baseball. When they find out he has a connection to a famous pro team they lath on to him. With the help of a local priest the boys convince him to become their coach. They eventually try out to become an official little league team and when they do they go for it all.

This is a great flick that shows how passion for something no matter what the odds can lead you on to something great. These kids beat the top team from Mexico and went on to beat the U.S. teams as well. All of this leads them to the championship and a now legendary and only championship perfect game. They also come across racism and how the boys handle it is great, but they face all kinds of hardships on and off the field.

Clifton Collins Jr. is excellent in this film and really is the character he portrays, from the pain and embarrassment he starts with all the way to the joy he feels because of these boys. Cheech Marin also is very good here and his chemistry with the kids seems to very genuine. Speaking of the kids every child on this film does very well, hard to do with child actors. The entire film was very well acted, written and directed in my opinion.

This is a family film and is a true story, I am sure you know the type. But the movie has a certain charm that makes it a bit different from the others. I really enjoyed this movie and liked all the special features as well. I would recommend this flick t any one that likes this type of film. The history on the real story is very interesting as well, the film is very close the actual events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie!, April 15, 2013
Amy Thompson (Springfield, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Game (DVD)
I bought this movie for my son. My daughter and I enjoyed the movie just as much as he did, great movie to watch with the family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect Game, January 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Think the 1980's film version Bad News Bears in 1950's Little League..and you have the perfect game without Walter Matthau of course.

Director William Dear's small film of the little team that couldn't is a film you wish the old Disney studio (or the old Wonderful World Of Color) would have made AND DIDN'T! This bio pic is based on a true story of a group of boys from Monterrey, Mexico who become the first non-U.S. team to win the Little League World Series. This story is so simple and filled with heart.

This film has everything going for it .... such things as Disney youth Stars Jake T Austin (from Wizards Of Waverly Place), Moises Arias (from Hannah Montana) and Ryan Ochoa (from A Pair of Kings).. and a supporting cast with such familar faces as Cheech Marin (from the new show ROB! and Nash Bridges - The First Season), Bruce McGill (Rizzoli & Isles: The Complete Second Season,and Clifton Collins The Event: The Complete Series..and still this little movie had no big studio support...it died quickly out of the theaters and it shouldnt have! It is a beautifully well done film...that families should have seen

It is not showy or pretendious, it is a small film with a large story to tell, It is well told film-making with a heart and done at its best. Something director William Dear is known for..all you need to see is his film Harry and the Hendersons (Special Edition)

so If you are looking for a good family film to get for a family film night, miss the latest Disney offerings (they arent that great lately..other than Lion King 3D) and get this movie. It has a heart and you will as a family enjoy this movie

Bennet Pomerantz
AUDIOWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Movie, August 5, 2011
Wow! Simply wow.

This is easily the best movie I have seen in this century. The story, the true story, is extremely moving. It is quite obvious from the beginning how it is going to end. But that does not matter. It is the story, the getting there, that matters. And the story is simply amazing. The whole thing looks completely unbelievable. Except... It's true! A week before they released it in the theaters they actually showed the movie to the people it depicts (now much older than they were when the story happened, back in 1957), and even they were moved.

The story is perfect. The direction is perfect. The costumes are perfect. The acting is perfect.

No amazing special effects. No sex. No swearing. Just a story, a story full of heart.

I did not grow up in the US. So baseball is not something I knew about while growing up, and I never picked up the baseball bug. But that does not matter. Even though this story is clearly about baseball, I was captured by the story right from the beginning, and I stayed captured till the end.

No matter where you are from, no matter what your age is, no matter whether you are a regular movie goer or someone who is not into movies at all, this movie is a must-see for all. Don't hesitate. Don't wait another minute. Just go and buy this movie. You'll be glad to have it. And you'll watch it many times, over and over, for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 10 movie of all time for me, July 15, 2011
This review is from: The Perfect Game (DVD)
I was at the Perfect game in 1957. My team won 1 game so we were 10 or 11 games away from playing the Monterrey team. Since I new the end of the story what a blessing to know the beginning of the story. It was a shame that more have not seen this movie. My wife and I had to drive an hour to see The Perfect Game. It was not shown in any movie theater in and around northern Delaware. I plan on showing this movie at our church to the young people because it shows me again and again that with hard work you can do the inpossible. To see a group of boys walk 10 or so miles with only hope on there side to play in their first ballgame was someting I will never forget. It was a blessing for me that a local church in Texas loaned them a bus to travel to Kt. and Williamsport, Pa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Heartwarming Feel Good Movie and That Is Not A Bad Thing, September 14, 2011
Shawn Kovacich "Shawn Kovacich" (The Greatest Little City in the World) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a typical feel good heartwarming film based on a true story that would be perfect for the Disney Channel or other such TV station. Now this isn't a bad thing by any means, and it is actually quite a welcome respite from a lot of the other films being released lately. I would definitely recommend this as the perfect "sit down with the entire family and watch this with a big bowl of popcorn" moment.

Shawn Kovacich
Creator of numerous books and DVDs.

The Perfect Game
The Perfect Game by William Dear (DVD - 2011)
$14.98 $8.49