5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley Mind Blowing!!!
Reading this book sent shock waves down my spine. I usually don't upset very easily, but what the communist would do to innocent Christian people is so cruel it will make you sick. I loved to see this young man, Sergei, come to know Christ after all the atrocities he did. I would recommend this book to anyone who thinks that he has problems in life. This will make you...
Published on January 18, 2003 by Texas Greg

3.0 out of 5 stars K. -orphan, persecutor, evangelist, martyr, by age 22.
This book is the autobiography of a young orphan, recruited by the KGB to expose and torture Christians. Converted by their example of love, he defected to Canada and told the truth about communism's brutality to the Church. For this, he was murdered. Fr. Nicholas Pekatoras said his funeral. He is buried in Washington, DC.
Published on July 8, 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EYE OPENER, December 12, 2000
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
Read this book a while back, and I have to say it brought tears to my eyes and a deep sorrow. We Christians here in the States have it way too easy. We fill our churches on Sunday morning, but when it comes to sharing the gospel you rearly get more than a few Christians to show up. We are scare of what people might say, but in other countrys our brothers and sisters have to deal with what they might do to them. This book opened my eyes on the laxity we believers have it in America, and true persecution is the only thing that will wake us up as it did to Sergei.

3.0 out of 5 stars K. -orphan, persecutor, evangelist, martyr, by age 22., July 8, 1998
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping account of Christian persecution in Russia., May 22, 1999
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
Sergie Kourdakov was driven to reach the top. He became the leader in almost every communist organization of which he participated. For a man who was murdered before his 21st birthday, he accomplished a remarkable amount. In the short time he lived for the Lord, he had a tremendous testimony. Read this book to get a small inkling of what Christians in Russia faced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day Saul turned to Paul, January 26, 2001
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
Sad this book is not available, but delighted to read that many others were moved by this marvelous working of God in the life of this young man in the former Soviet Union.
The scene of his planning the escape off the ship is magnificent and the young girl on one of his raids taking advantage of the opportunity God gave her shared the living hope within her.
Get this book, you'll be blessed!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Read, December 28, 2008
This review is from: The Persecutor (Paperback)
I first read "The Persecutor" about fifteen years ago. Now it is part of my annual reading list.

Kourdakov's book vividly describes his life growing up with an athiestic worldview in the Soviet Union and how he was appointed to lead attacks on worshipping Christians. He and his men mercilessly beat and killed Christians. In the process, they repeatedly encountered a beautiful young woman named Natasha, who tenaciously worshipped her Lord. Over and again she was beaten and humiliated. Yet she continued to worship Christ.

The power of this young woman's witness overpowered the athiestic communist teaching Kourdakov had embraced.

This book is one of the most compelling biographies I have ever read. Sadly, it is out of print at this time, though copies can still be acquired.

I highly recommend this book. It will change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous!!, February 12, 1999
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
Great book! And it's true!! When my dad recommended this book to me I didn't want to read it, but am I ever glad I did. Recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a gripping true story of one young russian communist, February 9, 1999
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
who was able to escape to canada in the end, where he was saved. this is an amazing book, a true story. he talks about meeting with some of the leaders of the country, the communists at the top. to me, the most amazing part of this book is that if sergei had stayed where he was, he would have been promoted high up in the country - perhaps all the way to the top - and we may have been hearing of him in the news today. but he realised that none of it was right, that there was truth out there, and that it was held by the Christians he had been hired to torment and kill. he finally escaped to canada and died shortly thereafter. this is an amazing book. if you can get your hands on it, read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glimpse into Soviet Culture, January 9, 2004
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
I found this book in 1986 shortly after the Lord Jesus saved me while a russian-language student at the University of Arizona. God used this book to provoke my heart into surrendering to Christ's calling upon my life as a fulltime church-planting missionary in the former Soviet Union.
Now that I've been working here 5 years by His grace, I see first-hand what Sergei spoke of.
Don't discount this book as mere religious propoganda - this is the unveiled truth, revealing what life is like under atheistic communism.
ukrainebaptist@yahoo.com

5.0 out of 5 stars RE-PUBLISH THIS BOOK!!!, May 28, 2010
This review is from: The Persecutor (Hardcover)
This book needs to be published again. Sergei Kourdakov was the persecuter like Paul in the Bible, but then Jesus saves him. It's amazing what God does through anyone He chooses. After reading this, I'm reminded that through my daily vocation, God uses me as His tool to preach the Gospel to all nations, by simply doing what is set directly before me with my whole heart.

PLEASE PUBLISH IT AGAIN- I want my children's children to read this story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise, June 23, 2010
Don't judge a book by it's cover: literally! A friend recommended this book and I told her "no way" because the title made me think it was too gory and that it was probably about somebody who relishes in causing others pain. I was wrong, she was right. This is an excellent book! I borrowed it from her and after I finished reading it, I bought a copy of my own. This is a true story about a man who thought he was doing a good thing and the world a favor by persecuting Christians (similar to the story of Paul in the Bible), only to have a change of heart and with a determined mind, came up with a strategy to gain his freedom from the very people he once served. I do not wish to give too much of the story away, but it is a page turner and you are in for a surprise as you go through various emotions throughout the story, from anger, to sadness, to forgiveness, to joy, to wonder. This is an amazing story and it makes you cherish your freedom and think about what you would do to gain your freedom if you found yourself in a life like his. I recommend this book to everyone, 14 years old and older due to some violent descriptions in the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Persecutor
The Persecutor by Sergei Kourdakov (Paperback - June 1974)
Used & New from: $2.86