Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 8, 1998
This book is the autobiography of a young orphan, recruited by the KGB to expose and torture Christians. Converted by their example of love, he defected to Canada and told the truth about communism's brutality to the Church. For this, he was murdered. Fr. Nicholas Pekatoras said his funeral. He is buried in Washington, DC.
on May 22, 1999
Sergie Kourdakov was driven to reach the top. He became the leader in almost every communist organization of which he participated. For a man who was murdered before his 21st birthday, he accomplished a remarkable amount. In the short time he lived for the Lord, he had a tremendous testimony. Read this book to get a small inkling of what Christians in Russia faced.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sad this book is not available, but delighted to read that many others were moved by this marvelous working of God in the life of this young man in the former Soviet Union.
The scene of his planning the escape off the ship is magnificent and the young girl on one of his raids taking advantage of the opportunity God gave her shared the living hope within her.
Get this book, you'll be blessed!
on December 28, 2008
I first read "The Persecutor" about fifteen years ago. Now it is part of my annual reading list.

Kourdakov's book vividly describes his life growing up with an athiestic worldview in the Soviet Union and how he was appointed to lead attacks on worshipping Christians. He and his men mercilessly beat and killed Christians. In the process, they repeatedly encountered a beautiful young woman named Natasha, who tenaciously worshipped her Lord. Over and again she was beaten and humiliated. Yet she continued to worship Christ.

The power of this young woman's witness overpowered the athiestic communist teaching Kourdakov had embraced.

This book is one of the most compelling biographies I have ever read. Sadly, it is out of print at this time, though copies can still be acquired.

I highly recommend this book. It will change your life!
on February 12, 1999
Great book! And it's true!! When my dad recommended this book to me I didn't want to read it, but am I ever glad I did. Recommended!!!
on February 9, 1999
who was able to escape to canada in the end, where he was saved. this is an amazing book, a true story. he talks about meeting with some of the leaders of the country, the communists at the top. to me, the most amazing part of this book is that if sergei had stayed where he was, he would have been promoted high up in the country - perhaps all the way to the top - and we may have been hearing of him in the news today. but he realised that none of it was right, that there was truth out there, and that it was held by the Christians he had been hired to torment and kill. he finally escaped to canada and died shortly thereafter. this is an amazing book. if you can get your hands on it, read it!
on January 9, 2004
I found this book in 1986 shortly after the Lord Jesus saved me while a russian-language student at the University of Arizona. God used this book to provoke my heart into surrendering to Christ's calling upon my life as a fulltime church-planting missionary in the former Soviet Union.
Now that I've been working here 5 years by His grace, I see first-hand what Sergei spoke of.
Don't discount this book as mere religious propoganda - this is the unveiled truth, revealing what life is like under atheistic communism.
on August 26, 2007
I read this book many years ago when it first was published. The thing that really stood out to me was that my husband was born just about a week later than Sergei Kourdakov and I kept thinking how different our lives were here at the same time Sergei was living in Russia. The girl, Natasha, that was beaten so much and then would be at the next meeting when Sergei would raid it was so brave. I kept thinking that she probably didn't realize what an impact her life had on this man and will only know the extent of her faith and how she was the reason for Sergei to come to know Jesus when she finally reaches her heavenly reward..what a courageous lady she was! This book is one that I have read over and over and recommend it to everyone!
on May 28, 2010
This book needs to be published again. Sergei Kourdakov was the persecuter like Paul in the Bible, but then Jesus saves him. It's amazing what God does through anyone He chooses. After reading this, I'm reminded that through my daily vocation, God uses me as His tool to preach the Gospel to all nations, by simply doing what is set directly before me with my whole heart.

PLEASE PUBLISH IT AGAIN- I want my children's children to read this story!
on July 1, 2011
I read this book twice, and can assure you it is not for the hyper-sensitive. It should serve as a wake-up call to the church in the free world to the terriblew treatment of christian believers in the former USSR.
It is the autobiography of a young Russian man hwo went into the military as a career after being brought up in am orphanage, which was not ideal for any young person wanting a secure life. Seeing how many of his fellow orphans were turing into gangsters and hookers, he pushed himself to excell in school and gradually becoming a navy cadet. He became proficient not only academically, but also in athletics and karate. He also taught the principles of Marxism and leninism to his younger classmates.
His life took a turn when he was recruited by the KGB into an auxilary police force to combat christian believeras, considered to be the worst of criminals. What followed is a morbid succession of surprise attacks and home invasions of bible studies and prayer meetings. He and several fellow navy cadets from the academy took part in these beatings and arrests which went on for about 2 years, around 1969 to about 1971.
After gradually seeing the contradiction of this work and what Lenin really taught, along with further disillusionment with his superiors, he decided it was time to defect to the free world, or face an uncertain future in this evil system.
What follows is a courageous attempt to not only escape froma navy ship, but to go public in the USA with his story about the attrocities committed in Russia by a government that claims to give it's people religious freedom. Very inspsring as well as upsetting, but leaves the reader with the light of hope at the end.