‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, February 12, 2013
This review is from: The Petraeus Files: All the Photos, Chats, Poems, and Other Super-Secret Emails They Don't Want You to See (Paperback)
Ted Travelstead has a unique comedic voice and puts it to very good use here satirizing the Petraeus scandal. It's funny, strange and ridiculous without being mean spirited. I have no idea what the real life Petraeus or any of these people are like but I can only hope they are half as vulnerable, bizarre and likable as the characters Travelstead has created.
It's a very funny read and I highly recommend it.

Andrew Condell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful humor! This funny author really nailed it!, March 5, 2013
Amazon Customer (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I enthusiastically recommend this light, funny read. It's adult humor, but not raunchy. It's political because of the subject, but it's not snarky or cutting. These book is so well written, personalities just jump off the page! The tone and words are perfect, and I swear it's like eavesdropping on intimate conversations. I laughed out loud a hundred times between the beginning and the end. Travelstead really nailed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travelstead could be said to be the U.S. equivalent of Proust, Joyce, and Homer...., February 28, 2013
k (madison, wi, usa) - See all my reviews
...but he is truly no man's--yet every man's--equal. Regardless, The Petraeus Files is an astonishing debut by this gravid, burgeoning national treasure. The book is indeed an in-depth exposé of the politics behind one of this decade's most important public scandals, but the author also deftly illustrates the dynamics of interpersonal relationships among powerful individuals and does not shy away from the illicit beauty and/or romantic filth contained therein. This provocative, insightful, highly enjoyable debut makes T. Travelstead (or @trumpetcake or Bare Teddy Unbear) a name with which you should familiarize yourself now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really makes those cardboard cutouts from the news seem human., February 22, 2013
It's extraordinarily difficult to write parody that is not mean-spirited, but that is exactly what Ted Travelstead has been able to master in this book. This book is laugh-out-loud funny - something my now slightly creeped out co-workers, and dozens of train passengers who were just relieved the outbursts didn't contain religious diatribes can attest to - yet contains every ounce of humanity, tenderness, and slight touch of weird one would expect from a Ted Travelstead project. The Petraeus scandal never interested me, and it doesn't have to interest you to make this a truly great read. Do yourself a favor and buy this book, then follow Ted on Twitter (@trumpetcake), and beg him to write a full version of "My Donkey."

5.0 out of 5 stars All the best comedy LOOKS easy., February 20, 2013
I laughed. I cried (but that's a personal problem I have and has nothing to do with Ted Travelstead's work). I first discovered his absurdist take on the world via twitter (where he goes by @trumpetcake) a few years ago, and he has been making me laugh on a daily basis since then. Every comedian, pro and wannabe, took their shots at the Petraeus scandal when the story broke, but only Ted had the cajones, and more importantly the comedic chops, to put together this extended riff on the affair. Eggheads talk about two different kinds of satire–Juvenalian, which is the vicious, mean-spirited, tear-the-world-down kind, and Horatian, the kind that Travelstead practices here. It recognizes that even when people deserve to be taken down a bit, they're still people, and a recognition of them as such, married with a bit of "there but for the grace of God go I," only serves to deepen the humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and hilarious, February 18, 2013
I first discovered Ted Travelstead when I purchased the excellent Sex: Our Bodies, Our Junk. Since then, I have been following him on Twitter (as should you-->@trumpetcake). He is consistently the funniest, most interesting and innovative person in my feed.

Despite my being Canadian and having only a marginal awareness of/interest in the Petraeus scandal, when I heard that Travelstead had written a satirical book about the affair, I circled the upcoming publication date. I purchased the Kindle edition and, as I assumed I would, found the book to be hilarious. You don't have to have any real knowledge of the real-life scandal; Ted creates his own world complete with endearing characters. From The General's aw-shucks, moron-level naïveté to Jill's endless supply of email signature titles, the book kept me smiling (and laughing aloud several times) throughout.

Highly recommeded. And, seek out Ted's other writings and performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Headline or summary for your review (required) <-- done!, November 7, 2013
I don't know that I've laughed this much at a humor book since reading The Lazlo Letters. But a weird thing happens in The Petraeus Files that I think places it a bit above books with similar structures, like The Lazlo Letters or Letters to Wendy's: you actually come to feel for these people. There's a real story here, and the author gives it time to develop. Ted Travelstead is a real writer, and he finds the people inside the characters and commits to them. It's not just a collection of jokes, and it never gets tired. In fact, I was sad to leave it when it ended, and honestly: when's the last time you felt like that at the end of a humor book?

5.0 out of 5 stars So clever, June 10, 2013
Lawrence (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
I had so much fun reading this book. The writers sense of humor and situation kept me on my toes. I didn't quite know where he was going, but so happy I was along for the journey. What could be next? Inside look at the cell phone scandal. I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petraeus Files (the way you hope it went down), April 22, 2013
I give this book 5 stars because it is 'evidence' I hoped CNN and Fox News had released...or because I hope this is what really happened between them. Travelstead wrote these characters' correspondence so well that I feel like they are legitimate and I can no longer take David,Paula or Jill seriously... Not that I ever did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, March 26, 2013
I love the randomness of this book. Whenever I find myself in a funky mood i just open up the Petraeus Files and within minutes I feel better. All in all a very easy read and just a great book. Highly recommend!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›