5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, November 9, 2003
This review is from: The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
The best Rudman book yet and by far the best available on Toning. At last a toning book that takes me both wide and deep, with beautiful pictures into the bargain.
I agree with the photoeye review - this is definately one of the best technical photo books I have seen. It is easy to read and yet tells all (unlike so many!!)
I love the way it teaches at different levels from novice to expert - why can't all teaching books be like this?
A great book

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, November 15, 2003
I have been printing and toning for quite a few years but have been surprised at what a lot this book still had to teach me!
All other books on this subject that I have read have been sadly short on vital details. This book is a superb exception to this common fault. The information is a model of clarity and easy to understand both for beginners and seasoned printers like me. The images are a great bonus too as they not only instruct but inspire. I am so grateful to this author for this lovely book and the great amount of work that obviously went into it, and for sharing this information in such an unselfish way. An awesome book - thank you.
H.K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb technical reference, November 20, 2005
This book provides in depth detail into the toning process without getting too deep into the scientific chemical reactions. It covers many, many types of toning, provides many examples of results, and is very well written. The author covers techniques old and new and provides a number of different formulas in the formulary section at the end of the book for those who are interested in using non-commercially available toners. I found this book to be most useful in both understanding the process and in expanding my toning skills. I can honestly say that this is one of the most useful books on wet process printing that I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to know how to tone prints, this is the book!, July 4, 2005
M. Grigsby "onthedot" (The Resort Town of Bend, OR) - See all my reviews
Wow. I didn't know there were so many ways to tone a print. Mr. Rudman is some kind of psycho-wizard-freak that has managed to learn EVERYTHING there is to know about toning prints.

Really, all I wanted to do was get some tips on using Selenium toning, but this is the whole enchilada. There's toners I never knew even existed. And the part about toning part of the print one way, and using another toner elsewhere in the print, was just over the top. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the Definitive Guide, June 16, 2006
Terrance Hounsell (Newfoundland. Canada) - See all my reviews
Takes guts to include "The Definitve Guide" as the subtitle of a book. Question is, is it deserved? Answer a respounding YES! Am I surprised? Not when I see that the author is Tim Rudman. I own all of his books and hold them in the highest regard. This book is well printed, the paper stock is heavy and the glossy images allow you to see the subtle differences in his comparison images. This book is well structured, each chapter is broken up into manageable chunks that have a nice flow to them. This book has the right balance of theoretical and practical instruction. Most procedures include a step by step recipe. There is plenty of supporting information in the back of the book such as the Formulary, FAQs, Colour Search, DIY Toning, Weights and Measures etc... This book is suitable for both the Novice and Advanced photographic print maker and is the only book on toning that you are likely to ever need. All in all very complete and dare I say DEFINITIVE.

4.0 out of 5 stars It really is the definitive guide!, November 9, 2006
Nicole Dellios (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, it has it all. You want to know anything about a tone and this book has it. I'm actually a second year photography student and found that this book explains things without going way over the top and getting far too technical. Recommended buy for people of all photographic experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, June 27, 2007
L. Radtke (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I found this book very well written and informative. It covers a wide variety of toning techniques and covers archival processing thoroughly. I highly recommend this book for anyone who prints silver gelatin.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, June 6, 2008
Mark Fisher (Highland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I have four of Tim's books and all of them are great. If you are interested in toning prints, this is a must for your library. The examples tell the story and text tells you how to do it. The sections about split toning are particularly nice. Also, if you ever have the chance to take a workshop or class from Tim, do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great title from Tim Rudman, May 29, 2008
If you are a photographer, you need this book. Mr. Rudman is thorough, knowledgeable and complete on the subjects of toning and lith printing. A must for your darkroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars used the info while printing, December 2, 2007
this book is absolutely the best guide i have ever seen about archiving and toning photographs. Certainly told me many thing that i have been doing only so-so. This book is a MUST for serious phtograpers and great to know for the casual photo enthusiast.

The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide
The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide by Tim Rudman (Paperback - April 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $68.33