4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 To Have and Have Not
A pigeon about to joyously eat a hot dog is constantly interrupted by a young duck who manages to upset his meal plans. The duckling--all big-eyed charm and flirtation-repeatedly insinuates himself into the situation with "innocent" comments and questions just when the pigeon is about to take the first bite:

"I've never had a hot dog before...

What...
Published on February 24, 2005 by M. Allen Greenbaum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good kind or weird.
I didn't like this for our son as much as Id hoped. It's weird but not in a good way. :)
Published 2 months ago by Laura Weaver

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 To Have and Have Not, February 24, 2005
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)

"I've never had a hot dog before...

What do they taste like?"

The pigeon enthusiastically describes the exquisite nature of hot dogs, but then draws back, suspicious of the duckling's true motives, and feeling trapped by his own gusto. Then, just when he's about to eat that hot dog again, the duck asks, "Would you say it tastes like chicken?"

The baffled, frustrated pigeon looks out from the page and addresses the audience directly: "Can you believe this guy?" Finally, overcome by the duck's seeming innocence but persistent curiosity, he goes completely wild, yelling, pacing, trying to persuade himself that the hot dog is his too eat, but aware that his "guest" will not leave him alone. The two birds finally do share the hot dog, although the duckling belies his supposed naiveté with his final comment: "Hmmm...needs mustard."

Although very simple, the story has its roots in the classic comedy routines of vaudeville and early television. I can picture "Ralph Kramden" (in the pigeon role, of course) and "Ed Norton" in a similar setup. A more recent example of this patter is in the movie "Diner," when the Paul Reiser character asks without really asking for a ride home, some left-over food, etc. "Just ask the question!" shouts an exasperated Daniel Stern.

Mo Willems reinforces the simplicity of this routine through his amateur-on-purpose drawings of the two birds and the solid color backgrounds. Aside from his beak, the pigeon's head is merely two concentric circles, a large dot, a line, and some shading. As another reviewer noted, the kid-scrawl drawing is in the spirit of "Spongebob Squarepants" and primitive illustrations.

Ultimately, this book is best read aloud to very young children. Willems could have added some interesting geometric background shapes, or deepened the characterizations, but he kept it fairly plain and linear. It's up to the reader's dramatic abilities to pull out all the humor inherent in the conflict between owner and would-be owner. Willem's teasing dialogue and portrayal of the unwinding pigeon give adults plenty of comic material to work with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Willems, you've done it again!, August 16, 2004
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
As an elementary school librarian, every year I try to have an ice-breaker story for the children on their first visit to the library, especially the kindergarten students. Last year my first-day read aloud was "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus". It shocked their socks off to see the librarian stomping her feet and yelling "Let me drive the bus!" Some students requested I read it every week all year. Thank you for providing another "pigeon story" for me to start this year. Although the "hotdog" story doesn't provide opportunity for interaction that the "bus" did, it provides me the chance to stomp and yell "It just tastes like a hot dog, okay!?" Then later in the school year, when my real personality comes through, they won't be frightened. They will see me as the pigeon. The first grade students who watched my pigeon antics last year will be expecting me to top last year's performance. They will love "The pigeon finds a hotdog". I do. Please keep the pigeon stories coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT DOG THIS BOOK IS DE-LICIOUS!, July 12, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
I was shopping today for my nephew's birthday. I already had picked out an armload of children's picture books when I spotted The Pigeon Finds A Hot Dog. Not only did I laugh hysterically out loud in the middle of the regularly quiet bookstore, but I was also very impressed with the story dialogue and the simple, but unique style of illustration. At any rate, I put all the other books back on the shelves, and rushed to the counter to purchase the book. Now, I'm debating going back and buying a few more copies, one for my collection and a couple more for some friends. I highly recommend adding this to your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - for Pete's Sake!, October 15, 2004
B. Ward (Winston-Salem, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
My two year old LOVES this book! He wanted to read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus every night until this one came along, now if you ask him "would you say that it tastes like chicken?" He replies (with his hand on top of his head) "oh for pete's sake" - it's hilarious! The first book is sensational and this one is certainly no let down as a sequel. I bought it for my nephew for his fourth birthday and my sister in law says he wanted to read it every day too. This (and the first one) gives kids a chance to say things they don't normally get to say to their parents like "no!" and "blah, blah, blah" and "it's mine and you can't have it!" I highly recommend this book and if you don't have Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by all means get that too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book, November 16, 2004
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
I read the reviews for this book before purchasing this and "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" and although the reviews were what sealed my purchase decision, I was skeptical that toddlers really would react in the way some of the reviewers wrote. Other reviewers spoke of their child wanting to read the book every night, knowing the words, etc. I have to say that they are totally true!!!! We just started the bedtime reading ritual now that our 2 year old will sit in bed and listen to a story, and every night without fail she says, "Hot Dog - Bus!" In other words, she has to have both of those stories read EVERY NIGHT!!! She yells out the words, has memorized most of the content in about two months, and is overly joyous when we pull the books out at bedtime. My only wish is that Mo Willems write more, and fast!!!! Parents will truly enjoy these books too, after 2 months of reading them every night they are not even getting old for me! These are both must haves in your child's book collection. Thank you Mr. Willems!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Story for Young Readers, November 3, 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
Pigeon couldn't be happier when he finds a hot dog lying upon the ground. He quickly begins imagining how fun it will be to shove the entire thing into his beak, and savor the delicious hot doggy taste. That is, until a sly little duckling enters the picture, and begins asking the pigeon about the hot dog, hinting that he is craving a bite of the delectable food item. Now it's up to pigeon to decide whether the young duckling deserves a bite or not.

Mo Willems has done a fantastic job of creating a cute, yet extremely simple story that children will adore reading over and over again. His short, yet cute prose will hold the attention of even the youngest child, while the simple comic-strip-like sketches throughout the story will have them enraptured with THE PIGEON FINDS A HOT DOG! for hours. This is a must have for any family with young children.

Erika Sorocco

Book Review Columnist for The Community Bugle Newspaper

5.0 out of 5 stars What luck!, July 16, 2004
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
Poor Pigeon. He has the good fortune of finding a hotdog. It's just sitting there. So what's the problem? (Special guest star) Little Duckling won't give Pigeon a moment's peace to eat the hotdog. "Does it taste like chicken?" Duckling asks. The discussion escalates until it is finally resolved with a happy ending and a fairly understated lesson. Mo Willems' lively pastel colored drawings are simple but still expressive. A thoroughly enjoyable, excellent book. Karen Woodworth-Roman

4.0 out of 5 stars you should have voted the Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, January 19, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
We had group of three people for voting for the best picture book. We didn't think that the Kitten's Full Moon should have won. We thought that the Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog should have won the Caldecott Award in 2005.We thought that the Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog should have won because it was funny, has great pictures and it is also easy to read. That is why I disagree with the Caldecott Committee in 2005.

by: Ryan S. and Michael S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool!, April 2, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Hardcover)
My name is Fernando Pita and I am 7 years old. My English teacher read this book to us in class and I thought it was funny. My favorite part was when the duck said it tasted like chicken . I recommend this book for kids. I also like this book by Mo Willem: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I hope you like it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Diggety Dog - your kids will love this!, August 21, 2007
Kids love finding books about familiar characters and Mo Willems has created a new one with his comical pigeon. Instead of playing along with the reader, this time he answers to a little duckling who just wants a bite of his hot dog. The duckling is pretty sneaky and asks all kinds of questions (which drives the pigeon CRAZY) until finally the pigeon gives in and shares his hot dog with him. More great facial expressions and a simple story everyone will enjoy!

The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! by Mo Willems (Hardcover - April 19, 2004)
$15.99 $11.98