4.0 out of 5 stars We love the 'Pijja'
Published on June 21, 2005 by A. Levine

2.0 out of 5 stars Ver y disappointing
Published on June 3, 2005 by A Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Ver y disappointing, June 3, 2005
A Reader (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
My young son and I are huge pigeon fans, having loved the first two books. When I saw that Willems was releasing two new pigeon books, I was very excited and ordered them immediately. Perhaps if I had waited, I would have seen that these are "board books," i.e. only a few "pages" long. Instead of a book demonstrating multiple pigeon emotions, as I expected, we touch on angry, sad, then happy, all in the course of less than a minute of (slow) reading time. I guess it's a cute enough book, but know that it is just a "smigeon of pigeon," not a full book.

4.0 out of 5 stars We love the 'Pijja', June 21, 2005
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
This book is not as long nor as adorable as 'Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus,' which is definitely a favorite in my house. But I must say, this little board book *definitely* taught my 16 month old daughter about emotions. She loves when we read this book to her- and she copies the emotions that 'Pijja' (what she calls the pigeon) experiences- making sad faces, angry faces, happy faces along with the little guy. Even in this smaller, board book version (which is actually a much smarter purchase for younger toddlers than the hardcover books that they easily tear...) the pigeon is a character that small children can relate to, learn from... and as my daughter does, laugh with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Pigeon book ever., July 23, 2011
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
My students and I LOVE Mo Willem's Pigeon books (and all Mo Willem's books, in fact). I don't generally buy board books because my students are too old for them, but I thought I'd make an exception. I was disappointed. The book barely makes any sense because the pigeon's emotions are not nearly as clear as in any of the other books (which is ridiculous because this book is supposed to be about emotions).

4.0 out of 5 stars A Smidgeon of Pigeon, November 19, 2013
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
Mo Willems is a brilliant children's book writer and illustrator. All of his books are loved by my second graders! Consider this "board" book a good introduction to Pigeon for pre-readers and very early readers (kindergarten/pre-k and younger). As written on the cover, this is a "Smidgeon of pigeon by Mo Willems." Other Pigeon books are more appropriate (and more entertaining) for readers in grades K-3.

Tip for Teachers: Use this book to teach feelings and concepts of print to pre- and early-readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another smigeon of Pigeon!, July 15, 2005
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
Mo Willems delights again! Personnally a big fan of Pigeon, in particular the hot dog episode, I awaited "The Pigeon has feelings too!" with eagerness. And even though it is only a 5 or 10 page board book, with very little action; it's still a great book. The illustrations make it. Though I would certainly reccommend "The Pigeon finds a hot dog!" or "Don't let the Pigeon drive the bus!" first, this little book is worth checking out if you have very young children in the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mo Willems will probably end up being to my daughter what Dr. Suess was to me., May 16, 2014
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
And that's a good thing. His writing is surprising and inspired. His drawings seem simple but are filled with complexity and wit. And He respects the intelligence of children. I wish i could just sign up for a subscription service and get his new books sent to me as soon as they come out. Mo', Mo, please!

2.0 out of 5 stars it is hard for a pigeon to really show feelings, September 25, 2011
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
We do like Mo Williams in our house. We had the Knuffle Bunnies books and a couple with the Pig and Elephant but this was our first pigeon book. The fact that our daughter doesn't really gravitate towards Oscar the grouch should have been an indication that she wouldn't love the pigeon either. My biggest complaint is that we have some other feelings books and you can really see the feeling job off the page. This book falls flat with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEELINGS WE ALL HAVE, October 4, 2013
I read several of Mo Williams Pigeon books to a 3/4 grade ELL class, one at a time. The final one I read was this one, which fit in with their study of adjectives and adverbs that describe feelings. They used those words to discuss what feelings pigeon had in the different books I read to them. I left my books in the classroom for them, and they are the prize books to them to read when an opportunity arrives.

3.0 out of 5 stars pigeon is at it again..., January 9, 2007
SM (California,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
my students didn't enjoy this story as much as the others that we've read but it is definately on their top 10 list of books to have me read to them. the simple fact that we have just about all of the pigeon books speaks volumes for mo willems ability to capture a first graders attention!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but..., July 24, 2013
Psyche (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! (Board book)
The infamous pigeon is back for an encore performance in the toddler book world. And fortunately, this book arrived in plenty of time to purchase before my son arrived in 2008.

This books does not have much of a story, so if you are looking for that, you may want to stick to the pigeon books for older children. What this book does have is a gamut of emotions. As anyone who has every been a parent to, or even probably around, a two-year-old knows, two-year-olds also have a gamut of emotions. And usually they go through them in about the space of time it takes you to read this very short books. Toddlers don't understand their emotions, and this book does not try to explain them. The book, with its simple text and expressive pigeon, shows them, and that seems to be enough.

If you are wondering if my son still has temper tantrums, the answer is "yes". He has stopped throwing himself to the floors. Now he just "goes boneless" (another Mo Willems book) slowly with the contorted grace of a 1920's ham actor in a death scene.

One caveat: It is probably not a good idea to take yourself too seriously when you are reading this book. I can read it and express the emotions and my son laughs because he thinks I'm being silly. When my husband reads it, my son cries at the angry part.

The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too! by Mo Willems (Board book - May 16, 2005)
$6.99 $5.45