Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 1, 2014
Today was an exciting day for my girls. We pre-ordered The Pigeon Needs a Bath, and today, our copy finally arrived! My twins are almost 5, and my oldest girl is almost 7. They are big fans of Mo Willems, and they absolutely loved this new book. The Pigeon has visible stink waves emanating from his body, yet he insists that he doesn't need a bath. He turns the situation around, and asks the reader, "When was the last time YOU had a bath?" You would think that the situation would be resolved with the Pigeon approaching the bathtub, but he has more complaints. Willems really outdoes himself with 29 panels spread across two pages. The Pigeon has a litany of complaints: the bath is too hot, it's too cold, there are too many toys, there aren't enough toys. The suspense builds, as the reader wonders if the Pigeon will ever make it into the bathtub!

Willems might have a simple style of drawing, but he certainly gives that Pigeon a full range of emotions and body language.

My girls giggled and laughed through the entire book, and they have also enjoyed looking through it on their own. I appreciate the sophisticated vocabulary- what better way to teach phrases like "purely coincidental" and "a matter of opinion" than a sassy cartoon Pigeon?

This was a big hit at my house!
0Comment| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Pigeon is back, and filled with the same amount of charm and attitude as when he first wanted to drive the bus. The Pigeon Needs a Bath is easily my favorite of all the more recent pigeon titles. The timing is spot on, and the pigeon is as expressive as ever. This one was a big hit in preschool story time today! The kids easily recognized their pigeon friend and were eager to see where this was going. It made for a very interactive experience as all the kids wanted to talk about taking a bath and they all cracked up at the pigeon's changing attitudes. The story line is simple. It's very funny, and moves along with a welcome energy and a smooth flow.

I was very hesitant to read this to a group after I realized that one two page spread divided out into 16 panels. A bit of practice and that moment in the story turned into the funniest part of the book! It's nice to see the pigeon back doing what he does best. This is a recommend for story time and for pigeon fans of all ages.
on April 16, 2014
My 2nd grade twins are past this reading level but I hope they never outgrow laughing at this hilarious pigeon! I pre-ordered this to add to our collection and it is naturally a huge hit. They are having a great time quoting all the lines at me and we all crack up. So much fun. This might be the funniest pigeon book yet. The flies are the best... take a bath, dude!
‘The Pigeon Needs a Bath!’ written and illustrated by Mo Willems, a man who had for three times won Caldecott Award, is a funny and well-made story that will surely appeal to parents who will find links to everyday situations when they are trying (usually unsuccessful) to “put” kids in the bath after a hard day of play.

The main character Pigeon is a bit filthy and desperately needs a bath - the only problem is that opinion is not shared.

However, an interesting twist occurs at the story end because when finally pigeon will be convinced that bathing is necessary, because of all the bathing fun he will like it so much that he won’t ever want to get out of the tub…

Mo Willems with his latest book manages once again to talk about an interesting topic found in our everyday lives and present it in an original and educational way, offering as always entertaining book that will be enjoyed by children and their parents.

Anyone who has children knows how difficult sometimes is to convince them they need to bath at the end of the day, sometimes even more difficult to negotiate than anything that we do during our working hours if we do a job that requires something such skills.

Hence Willems with his book approached this subject in convenient way with which children will be able to identify and thus its reading maybe will make some evenings easier for their parents.

Therefore ‘The Pigeon Needs a Bath!’ is an educational and imaginative book with simple though beautiful illustrations that can certainly be recommended for kids between 3 and 6 years old.
on April 8, 2014
When I found out there was a new book, I preordered it just incase I would forget. But my daughter kept asking if we were any closer to April 1st, the release date. We made many trips to the calendar! She suggested that we place an order for another one for her elementary' s school library. So sweet! So I did. Right on the 1st they both came in. She read it right away and again after that! On the 6th of April she brought the second book to school for library day. The library teacher was so delighted and said she was going to wait until next year to order it (I assume for budget issues). She held the book and my daughter read it to the class. She emphasizes the words just right and said the kids laughed. She already had read it so many times so she was able to do that! The teacher said she is going to read it to each and every class that comes in on their library day. My daughter was happy and she never bragged that she brought it in. In fact no one knew. She just wanted to share the latest edition if this wonderful children's series with the world. Yes, we are fans are can't wait for the next book!
on January 15, 2015
The kids love the Pigeon and his acerbic wit. I enjoy this book because it doesn't talk down to kids. Kids love to punch above their weight, and this book offers a much bigger vocabulary than most children's books. The Pigeon is all attitude and bad-itude, which makes kids laugh and laugh. We now own many Pigeon books, the Pigeon game, and pretty much anything Pigeon. This first book in the series is read almost daily at my house.
on July 16, 2014
So... we went through a serious bath aversion phase for a while. I tried everything. Bubbles, bath colors, bath crayons, bath toys, bath instruments... it was tough. I will admit that while he never hit Pig Pen heights, our kid was the stinky kid. What's a mom to do? (okay, 1/2 the family supported our "wipe downs most of the time" policy, but there were a few that thought we should have that all out war with begging, pleading, and hysterics every night).

Enter the pigeon. Hint - he's WAY STINKIER than your kid. And he DOES.NOT.WANT.TO.TAKE.A.BATH!!! Sound familiar? It sure did to me! That adorable bird will use every excuse in the book to not get into the bath. Every excuse possible. But he really needs a bath. Badly. And you know what? In the end, he loves it so much he doesn't want to get out!

Within a few reads, our little stinker was willing to get in without tears or screaming. This book made a real difference, when all my reasearch and reading just didn't bring about the behaviour we were looking for. Bath time is fun again (as long as his little brother doesn't splash him in the face), and we still read out the stinky pigeon pretty regularly!
on November 2, 2015
This is a halirious book with simplistic drawing details. The pigeon needs a bath and is very expressive of why he does not need one. This is a great book for the whole family, laughter galore!! I believe this book could even be a beginner reader book, although it has some higher reading lever than beginner. I would highly recommend this book to any parent! Fun for everyone.
on May 20, 2015
We bought this book because "Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" was a huge hit and our toddler never wants to take a bath. The only downside is this book isn't really worded the same way. In the Bus book, you get to say "no" to the Pigeon on every page (it prompts the toddler), but in this book, a lot of parts are statements as opposed to the pigeon asking questions that are easily answered yes/no and my toddler doesn't know what to do/say a lot of the time and gets disinterested. Not sure if he's just too young (3 years old) or if they could have chosen better wording.
on February 3, 2016
My 3 year old loves reading about the pigeon. He is just now starting to recognize letters and he really enjoys identifying them in this book. This is a must have if your child likes any of the other pigeon books