Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Pigeon Wants a Puppy
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 21, 2014
Do you like Mo Willem's books? If you do, then keep reading! "The Pigeon Wants a Puppy" is an awesome book. It is one of the best books in the WHOLE WORLD! One reason is because Pigeon is hysterical. One time, when our class read this Pigeon book, we kept on laughing. Another reason is because Pigeon does funny things. For example, Pigeon said if he got a puppy he would water it once a month. The last reason is because Pigeon does a lot of talking. For example, sometimes he yells. Now you know about the best Pigeon book by Mo Willems! Go buy it!
Animals don't get much more emotional than Pigeon; this bird makes manipulation fun! He (Pigeon could be a she, but I'll use the male pronoun here) postures, poses, plays coy, makes these goo-goo eyes at you, and says -- unknowingly--the most preposterous things, all because he REALLY wants a puppy.

Mo Willems, the master of simplicity, conveys all the avian non-verbals with eyeball placement, stance, two wings (acting as arms) and tiny legs, eyelids, and just a few lines to suggest motion. With those simple elements, Willems creates an absolutely adorable bird, in part I suspect because his still growing body, and the transparency of emotion reminds us of our own youngsters.

Pigeon's verbal tactics complement his physical melodramatics. Pigeon vacillates between coy, indirect pleas, and foot-stomping demands, switching from one emotion to another in split seconds! Pigeon directly address the reader, emotionally involving the audience in an intimate, just-between-you-and-me tone. For example, you or your youngster may be quite familiar with THE PROMISE:
"Oh, don't worry. I'll take care of it. I promise I'll water it once a month."

Another favorite is THE GUILT TRIP:
"Oh... I get it. You don't want me to be happy, do you?" You don't want me to take a piggy back ride on my puppy...!"

Pigeon's pleas are funny because his bargaining is so obvious, his facts so wrong, his emotions so labile, and the purity of his expression so fresh and loveable. Willems captures all of this in a style that follows Poe's dictum that every element in a story should be there for a reason. The story has a socko surprise ending: The puppy finally arrives, however, Pigeon discovers it's a BIG dog, and he is aghast! As fast as you can say "...That wet nose! The slobber! The claws!," pigeon changes his mind--now he's all sincerely lovelorn (hearts surround his words) over getting a walrus! The endpapers show a crate addressed to "The Pigeon" containing "ONE WALRUS."

Perhaps like no one else working in kids' picture books, Willems little gems speak directly to small kids, and bring a twinkle of recognition to adults. They're clever, knowing, and extremely funny. By the way, Willems' extraordinary talent has not gone unnoticed, his books have won two Caldecott honors, and his writing for "Sesame Street" earned him six Emmys. He's an all-time favorite, and your young toddler to kindergarten-age kid will love any and all of Willems' work. You will too!
on November 7, 2014
My 8 year old loves this book. Her reading level is a little lower then other kids in her grade. She loves that she can read this book without stopping to sound out words. She reads it to her little brother, and even some of the younger neighborhood children. She uses voices and is so cute when she reads. I am so glad we added it to our collection. I know it will get a lot of use in our house.
My son loves all the pigeon books. While they're all very short (a sentence or two per page on average) - they engage and entertain him. That's the whole point. He loves reading them and even I have to laugh at the pigeon's very toddler like mentality.
on September 23, 2014
My 7 year old daughter loves all the Pigeon books. I think we own them all. She loves reading several of them each night. It's a win-win: she enjoys reading them and her reading skills have improved as a result. I highly recommend the Pigeon books. It's great to hear your kids read and laugh (let's you know they also understand what they are reading). This little Pigeon has such as personality.
on February 22, 2015
My 6 year old loves all the Mo Willems pigeon books, and this one is no exception. I think he might have learned to read just so he could read this one on his own. As usual, this is a great book to have kids actually interact with what they're reading, helping to boost comprehension.
on April 30, 2014
This is by far my daughter's favorite book. If we could read it all day every day she would....and I would almost be willing to because it's a REALLY fun book to read.

We keep buying copies for baby showers (you know those bring a book types) because no one thinks of this one for the sub pre-k crowd, but it's awesome.
on February 6, 2013
I purchased this for my 4.5 y.o. adopted nephew. His mom and dad started practicing Zen Buddhism in the last few years, and there is sort of a Zen message in this book about not always seeking the next "thing" to give us happiness. In the book, the pigeon wants a puppy and pleads and whines for it. Then he sees the puppy is huge compared to himself and decides he no longer wants it but instead wants a walrus. It's a good jumping off point to talk about how to live with your wants and how it's human nature to always want the next thing. My nephew loved the book and was thrilled to have it. He had read it at his school and was happy to have it in his home to re-read whenever he wanted.
on February 17, 2014
We buy these when we can put some extra money towards our daughter's collection. As soon as this book was delivered, the box was ripped open and she began reading right away. She loves these series and as a parent, anything that get kids to read is great! This book, all of them, fit her personality.
on August 3, 2014
My 3 year old loves this book, we have been reading it just about every night since we got it. He knows the words and he "reads" some pages himself. We use it for shape recognition too. For example, on one page the pigeon's head is round and on the next page it is oval.