Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pin-Up Art of Bill Wenzel
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

67%
33%

on July 17, 2012
Having enjoyed the book by Dan DeCarlo in the same series, I was sufficiently impressed to try out another volume. A comparison of the two is rather mixed.

I found that the art of Wenzel is much more to my taste. His anatomy is somewhat more believable than DeCarlo's; DeCarlo almost completely suppresses the midriff to emphasize the features above and below. The technique is effective for a quick glance but if the eye lingers it begins to look grotesque. Wenzel is much less extreme and for my money more effective.

As far as humor goes I remember DeCarlo being funnier. Wenzel's humor seems more sophomoric, suited to teens and preteens sneaking a peek in a drugstore in the '50s when the counterman was occupied. But then neither are comic geniuses. The main appeal is the art.

All in all a fascinating and entertaining look at one man's (and many other men's, no doubt) ideal feminine form.
on May 6, 2010
I had already posted three blogs on the wonderful Bill Wenzel before I even knew about this book. Sweet, round and friendly, Wenzel's dames were good girls in slightly uncomfortable situations, but their stature and appealing looks got them through all manner of sleazy pick-ups, gusts of wind and more. A cartoonist for cartoonists, and one of the most under-rated illustrators of the last century. Bravo for this series, and hoping there are more.
Jim Linderman
Vintage Sleaze the Blog
on March 26, 2007
Bill Wenzel was so prolific that even I managed to snag a few of his original Humorama cartoons. This collection provides a nice sampling of his instantly recognizable work. However, the real value of this book is the biographical information supplied by his daughters.

I would have liked to have seen more about his work for Playboy, more of the paperback covers, the men's magazines, etc. However, maybe that is for another day.

My only quibble with this book is the green highlights (or background) in many of the cartoons. It looks like a way to mimic the cheesy 2-color effect in those cheap Humorama magazines and detracts from the work. IF this is the way they were published, it would have served Bill W well to go black and white.