5.0 out of 5 stars Great that the studio released these 3 specials!
Published on December 6, 2007 by SeaKayaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Pink Panther Punts (a little)
Published on November 29, 2009 by M. Stone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great that the studio released these 3 specials!, December 6, 2007
SeaKayaker (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
It was surprisingly thoughtful of MGM to release the other two Pink Panther TV Specials here on this DVD along with "A Pink Christmas"! It's not obvious from the cover or the DVD info listed that all three Pink Panther TV Specials are on this disc, but they indeed are. "A Pink Christmas" which aired on ABC Dec 7, 1978; "Olym-Pinks" which aired on ABC Feb 22, 1980; and "Pink At First Sight" which aired on ABC May 10, 1981 were all approximately 25 minutes in length. "A Pink Christmas" was adapted from a 1906 O. Henry short story called 'The Cop and the Anthem' (credited in the cartoon) and is a wonderful 'haves and have-nots' type story that makes a perfect adaptation to the world of the Pink Panther - it's not an exact re-telling, the character in the short story is trying to get into jail so he can be warm and have food, while the Panther is on a quest for food, but he does try at one point to get into a jail. "Olym-Pinks" capitalized on the 1980 Winter Olympics that were held in Lake Placid, New York that year, and is a series of very competitive olympic games played between Panther and the 'little man' (as the animators referred to him). And "Pink At First Sight", although aired in May of '81, is essentially a Valentine's Day story. The studio could easily have only released the Christmas special and charged the same amount, but they used some foresight and gave we 'completists' a bonus with the other two TV Specials. While not having the 'classic-ness' (for lack of a better word) of the 1960s Panther cartoons, the specials are fun, and clearly the Christmas special is the highlight of the DVD and easily worth the price in and of itself. I remember when it first aired (I was 9) and it didn't really repeat all that often over the years. And as a fan of animation, it's cool to actually have it on DVD after nearly 30 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pink Panther Punts (a little), November 29, 2009
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
First - the Christmas portion of this DVD is only 24 minutes of the running length of the feature. I thought I was getting a "movie" for the kids but this seems to be either a 30 minute episode or Christmas special. If you have older pink panther DVDs from the 60s and the early 70s you will be disappointed by the animation quality (which on this DVD is crude simplistic 80's cartoon styling) and by the story line in general - especially how the Pink Panther behaves - he is not his usual suave self. Yes - the Pink Panther has been on hard times in other of his cartoons but he manages to get out of the situation quicker and slicker without the use of Deus ex machina... but I digress. Second - the bonus cartoons were just as crude and even less interesting - in fact I am afraid to ask what my kids thought of the DVD in general - perhaps I will be able to judge by the amount of repeat viewings. Are you dying for good Pink Panther - please buy the "The Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection" and watch the episodes from the 60s.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT PINK CHRISTMAS, December 14, 2007
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
I bought this DVD because I am A big Pink Panther fan. I have slowly made my kids to like him and other of the classic cartoons. This dvd is not as good as the collection of all the shorts but it is a great add on if you want the whole collection of cartoons since these cartoons are not included with the box set. It Is great that it includeds the Valentine special and the special Olym-Pinks I believe all of the classics are now avaliabe on DVD.The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest cartoon feline's Christmas Special plus two bonus specials, November 27, 2009
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
The Pink Panther (as in the cartoon character)'s 1978 Christmas Special saw its official release on DVD in November of 2007.
When I first bought this DVD in late 2007, I was familiar with the Christmas special which I had on VHS but was on last legs and I had seen Pink at First Sight online but hadn't seen Olym-Pinks at all. Before I thought of buying it, at first I was like $14 for only 24 minutes but I was shocked and ecstatic at the same time that MGM/20th Century Fox decided to release the two subsequent Pink Panther TV Specials (1980's Olym-Pinks and 1981's masterpiece Pink at First Sight) on the same DVD as well. All specials were 25 or so minutes in length so almost 80 minutes of The Pink Panther's late 1970s/early 1980s TV specials.
"A Pink Christmas" first debuted on ABC (US ABC not the Australian counterpart) on December 7, 1978 and was adapted from the old 1906 O. Henry short story called 'The Cop and the Anthem' (makes mention of it in the opening credits) and is a wonderful lesson in counting in what you can have and cannot have in life and being grateful for it. The classic story makes a perfect adaptation to the world of the Pink Panther cartoon character. It's cold and Christmas time and the beloved pink cat is cold and has no food and will go at any costs to have food and shelter for Christmas. In the original book, the character in the short story was trying to get into prison so he can be warm and have food for Christmas. There is one scene where the panther to get himself arrested but requests ignored but all things end merrily at the end.
Then we go over a year and two months later to February of 1980 for Olym-Pinks (also originally aired on ABC). Olym-Pinks cashed in on the 1980 Winter Olympics that were held in Lake Placid, New York that year, and includes a series of classic Winter Olympic games played between Panther and the infamous 'little man' from all of the classic Pink Panther shorts (as the animators and late Friz Freleng referred to him).
Finally we have "Pink At First Sight" which aired on ABC on May 10, 1981. It's Valentine's Day and the cat has no love and only 6 cents and finds work as a singing/miming delivery man getting into all sorts of trouble along the way before finding the pantheress of his dreams at the end (I believe this would be the start point of The Pink Panther being a father in the animated series Pink Panther and Sons which debuted in 1984).
The Pink Panther Christmas Special DVD is a superb DVD and the Christmas Special is one of my all time Top 5 favorites (up there with Fat Albert's Christmas Special from 1977, Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales from 1979 (which was made by same animators as A Pink Christmas), A Chipmunk Christmas from 1981 and of course How the Grinch Stole Christmas from 1966).
Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Christmas!, November 3, 2009
csm (The great Midwest!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
Although I was a kid in the 60s, all the young children coming over to our house LOVE these Pink Panther DVDs as much as we did when they were on television. When I saw this one online, I HAD to have it and grabbed it quickly, since our local Giant Eagle store sold out of it during October, of all things, and never could get them back in stock before Christmas. Yes Virginia, the Panther is that popular! I was pretty surprised how popular he still is today and this Christmas one is hysterical. We love all the extra shows they've included as well, particularly Olym-Pinks and the Valentine's special. Just something nice to watch for a change that is funny, not overdone, and no violence (well, unless you count falling downstairs violence! :) Very funny, great for the upcoming Christmas season. Highly, highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old pink panther is at it again, June 15, 2009
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
If you love The Pink Panther (the cartoon, not the movie) then you'll love this. Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like The Pink Panther, February 1, 2009
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
"A Pink Christmas" was great, but then I've always liked The Pink Panther! Thank you for offering it.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool and good, November 18, 2008
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
very well done. If you like Pink panther, then dont hesitate to buy this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pink Poverty, December 1, 2011
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
The Pink Panther is alone, cold, and destitute (I guess MGM kept all the profits to his movies then). While wandering the streets of an early 20th century city he devises multiple ways of scrounging himself an Xmas dinner, such as infiltrating a department store and trying to pass himself off as a prisoner (even THEY get a free dinner). Needless to say, all of them fail, leaving Pinky miserable and desperate.

At his lowest moment he shares a discarded donut with a dog, only for an Xmas miracle to happen. It's a very sweet cartoon, but doesn't rate too highly on my list of animated specials. The music consists of mainly the Pink Panther tune fused with a jazz version of 'Jingle Bells'. It gets a bit annoying. Some obscure carols are in there too.

This DVD also features 2 other specials, Olym-Pinks and Pink at First Sight.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pink Panthers Christmas, December 21, 2013
This review is from: The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas (DVD)
I used to watch The Pink Panther when I was little and recently ordered his complete collection which I now have. Those are better than I remember and I can watch them anytime now. I wasn't aware he had done anything involving Christmas until I came across this DVD which I finally broke down and ordered. Im a Christmas freak so whatever it is is going to be good to me. Especially if you like Christmas as much as I do you should get this. Merry Christmas.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas
The Pink Panther - A Pink Christmas by Bill Perez (DVD - 2007)
$14.99