Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 4, 2013
Another great PW cookbook! The photos are stunning as always, the directions are as clear and illustrated as one could want. In response to some previous reviews I have seen where buyers were upset by "all the pictures" and "regular recipes" Please research what you buy before you buy it. If you want a James Beard winner shop that way. Ree is an acomplished "regular" home cook like most of us and presents her very approachable recipes in the same fashion. Good food, beautiful book. Ive never had a recipe Ive tried fail!
44 comments| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
I don't read many romantic books, but I really enjoyed reading this fun story of how Ree Drummond and her husband met. Falling in love drastically altered her future life. She has a pleasant writing style, and while her story could have been too cheesy, it's not. Her re-telling made me feel sentimental and brought back emotions that you feel when everything is so new and so uncertain.

Both Ree and "Marlboro Man" as she refers to her cowboy are likeable personalities. I liked the embarrassing stories that she shares of their early relationship, and I understood many of the stresses and heartache in their first year of marriage. I think her writing style is comfortable and relateable, and a nice way to spend a couple of evenings. You can read it fast, and it won't change your life, but you'll enjoy it.
on October 29, 2013
I love Ree Drummond, and I am absolutely THRILLED to own all three of her cookbooks. This is my video review of the third one.
88 comments| 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 30, 2013
The recipes that Ree Drummond presents seem to be better vetted than many of those that the more "professional" type chefs make.
Ree, yes is a professional, but at the same time she seems like family and a friend. One longs to get into that lovely home and kitchen with her and be a part of those luscious meals and food she prepares - and that is her secret in her books, her blog and her television show.

This cookbook does have recipes that have been on her show or blog and new ones too - her Hoppin John has become a New Year's staple in our home.
As for this book specifically - it is lovely, with color coded sides on the pages for different sections and her wonderful photos that take you into her kitchen and the ranch she lives on.

The book is divided into: New Year's Day, the big game(football of course), Valentine's Day, Easter, Cinco de Mayo. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve.
Recipes are listed in the back by category ( breakfast, lunch, appetizer, supper, sides, breads, drinks and desserts) and a regular index by ingredient is included.

I have a huge cookbook collection and the Pioneer Woman's are one of my favorites. As soon as I received this I tried bacon wrapped filet and it was wonderful, of course. I also fixed the cheddar-chive biscuits and this morning got really ambitious and did the eggs in hash brown nests. As usual it is all good and relatively easy but with impressive results
There are fine photos to give directional steps and explanations with each. Each section has information and there is help for planning.

This is a cookbook and lady that you just cannot go wrong with. Put this and her other books on your Christmas list to both give and receive of course.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman's new cookbook is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I have seen, and I collect cookbooks. The photographs were all taken by Ree, except for the cover photo which was taken by her husband, The Marlboro Man. All recipes with a butterfly icon next to it have helpful how to videos that can be seen on a website that can be found on the cover fly leaf.

There are 378 pages in this cookbook. It is a large cookbook with 140 step by step recipes. The photographs of the food are just brilliant, large, colorful, tempting, and the first recipe for New Year's Day Resolution Smoothies are bright, vibrant, creamy and look so delicious. I was tempted to make one before I continued to read the cookbook. There are 12 chapters celebrating each holiday.

The cookbook covers all holidays from New Year's Day to New Year's Eve, and every holiday in-between, including Cinco De Mayo, because Ree Drummond loves Mexican food. This cookbook contains the most complete photographic step by step process of all recipes. I think that is what makes this the most beautiful cookbook I have seen. As you can guess, each holiday has it's own chapter. On the first page of each chapter, Ree discusses and describes the recipes contained. Each recipe is described and then, the step by step process is photographed with explicit directions.

The Thanksgiving chapter interests me most at this time. I love Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. Loved ones, friends and family all get together to celebrate and give thanks. There are no presents to worry about, just baking and making the most delicious food. Ree gives us 19 recipes for Thanksgiving, starting with a pumpkin smoothie and finishing with three different pie recipes. She gives you suggestions for Do-Ahead Plans to recipes for leftovers. Directions on how to carve a turkey, 12 pages of Thanksgiving Goodness, as she describes her thoughts.

Every page of this cookbook is a delight. The Pioneer Woman has outdone herself, with this cookbook. I am so delighted with it. Some of the recipes are new, many are ones we have seen before. Some of the recipes can be turned into everyday recipes, broccoli cheese soup, chipotle salsa, burger sliders, and so many more. Some of the recipes are so rich you want to save them for special occasions. They are all child and husband proofed, so you know ahead of time, that your family will probably love them. For the healthy minded you can add and delete ingredients in most of the recipes to make them yours.

I am enamored with Ree Drummond's enthusiasm, and you can feel it here in spades. She wishes us all love, good times and great food. That is what the holidays are all about.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 10-29-13
22 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2013
This is a great cookbook! I used her recipes for Thanksgiving, and I passed with flying colors according to all my dinner guests. I used her recipe for brine and cooked the turkey the way she suggested. Then it was time to make the gravy! This year I really went out on a limb and didn't buy any prepared canned gravy, just because I was going to make myself do it. So the pressure was on. Now since Ree includes pictures of every step, I felt like she was looking over my shoulder the whole time. And miracle of miracles, the gravy was superb! Everyone commented on it, and consequently, I never have to buy the canned stuff again. Thanks, Ree! You're the best!
on August 20, 2013
I almost didn't order this book based on some of the reviews but I gave in and got it, and boy am I glad I did! I enjoyed this book a great deal. It was written just as if she was talking to you and although she's no literary genius, she's not totally lacking in writing skills either. And what others saw as a story about a man who won't give and a woman who 'gives up her career for a man', I saw a woman who fell deeply in love with a man and a man who fell deeply in love with a woman. In his profession, it's not like he would be ready, willing and able to just pick up and leave. That doesn't make him selfish, it just is what it is when you live that life. Therefore, her choices were easy, leave and go to Chicago and give him up forever, or stay with him and give up Chicago forever. It seems to me that instead of giving anything up, she found something she wanted more and decided the 'big city' wasn't that important after all. It might not happen for everyone, but I don't see what is so wrong with a woman, who finds absolute, true love, choosing that instead of a career! Maybe more women these days should try it!
on November 21, 2013
I have her other two cook books and LOVE them have worked my way thru each of the books and was super excited when I heard a new one was coming out. The cook book does 3 to 4 versions of the same recipe with pictures instead of doing a note for variations of the recipe. Although there is good recipes it is not as good as her other two books.
44 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2015
This cookbook is so beautiful. I love how it is arranged by holidays. For a holiday lover it is so fun! You could find most of these recipes on her blog, I will say that. But I love having it in front of me. Most of the recipes are not all that exotic or fancy. But they are yummy. Some we had tried before in other variations but PW was def better, such as the sweet potato casserole. I've vowed to my husband to cook every recipe in here because there's something about this cookbook that just feels like it warms your home up. Definitely not healthy recipes for the most part. But yummy!
on January 20, 2014
I love pictures of finished products and also enjoy related stores but the format of this book is kind of all over the place. I prefer a recipe all on one page, personal preference. If the pictures and stories had preceded the recipe this would have been possible. I love the show and like her recipes but I will not be using this book, it is going into the gift pile.