Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Judy Garland and Gene Kelly star in this romantic musical about a sheltered young woman living in a Caribbean port who dreams of dashing pirate--and about the smitten troubadour who impersonates the pirate to win her heart.]]>
- Commentary by historian John Fricke
- New making-of featurette
- Vintage comedy short
- "Mack the Black" stereo remix version
- Audio-only bonuses: Song outtakes and Roger Edens guide track versions
- Promotional radio interviews with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland
- Theatrical trailer
Top Customer Reviews
The complex script is extremely witty, and both Garland and Kelly play their roles with sly and often truly neurotic humor. While the script would hold up on its own, Cole Porter's score adds considerable excitement with such standards as "Be A Clown" and "You Can Do No Wrong," as well as number of lesser-known but no less entrancing songs. The choreography, largely created by Kelly, is remarkably inventive, and director Vincent Minnelli's visuals are fascinating, rich, and often startling in their unexpected beauty.
At present The Pirate is out of print--find it if you can, for if you're a fan of "golden age" musicals, you'll call it a keeper.
GFT, Amazon Reviewer
having equally fierce detractors and admirers. I'm so glad it has finally been released on DVD. It seems like I have waited forever!! I have always enjoyed this film tremendously. It is, simply, a tremendously enjoyable film. The participants in the DVD, including Liza Minnelli and John Fricke, fall all over themselves explaining why "THE PIRATE" was too stylized and too special to appeal to a mass audience in 1948. Fear not, current-day viewers, "THE PIRATE" is not a celluloid disaster-- and not nearly as inaccessable as history would lead us to believe. Gene Kelly's widow, for instance, thinks "THE PIRATE" is deserving of a deeper appreciation, and she is right on the money. When the dust from all the controversies has finally vanished, it turns out that this is one of the best films in the careers of both Kelly and Garland.
Gene Kelly actually plays two roles. He plays egotistical, womanizing actor Serafin in the style of John Barrymore. Serafin calls all woman "Nina." But his womanizing ways abruptly end when he sets eyes on Manuella Alva (Judy). Manuella despises Sarafin because he is a "common actor." She is positively obsessed however, with legendary pirate Mack The Black Macoco, famous throughout the Carribbean for his daring and adventurous exploits.Read more ›
Currently out of print on VHS and yet to be released on DVD. It is airing on TCM as I write this review (1/1/03). The original soundtrack was released on CD years ago (now out of print), and several songs are available on a few Garland compilation albums from Turner/Rhino.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I'm kinda hooked on Judy Garland musicals! Lol! I will admit that this one was not quite as good as I was expecting, but I still found it a funny, charming story! Read morePublished 10 days ago by Kerri Brown
I loved Judy in this movie. Even through the difficult time she had filming, I thought she was superb! Read morePublished 2 months ago by TraceyA
The Pirate is a farce, which is defined as "a light dramatic composition marked by broadly satirical comedy, ridiculous situations, and improbable plot." Indeed it is! Read morePublished 5 months ago by hsvreader
The movie was cute. But the DVD froze halfway through. Had to watch the rest of it through another company on my pc.Published 6 months ago by Rebecca S. Harvey
Wanting to see. This movie, haven't been Abel to find any place,was excited to see Judy and gene playing together .so coolPublished 8 months ago by Lillian Corpora
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts