5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quick Read
Published on November 11, 2011 by Grimace73

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great
A decent story, but a little too predictable. Several elements of the story have been done elsewhere many times. It is fairly well written, but I came away a bit disappointed since I had essentially figured everything out well before the ending.
Published on August 16, 2012 by C. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quick Read, November 11, 2011
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book I've read from Hugh Howey and I'v noticed he has an uncanny knack for building a story around one interesting and unique idea. In Wool it was people living in a post apocalyptic silo with one view of the outside world that may or may not be real. In Half Way Home it was a unique twist on planet colonization. The Plagiarist tells a story based on computer simulations that allow the user to "jack in" and explore computer created worlds. That idea in itself isn't too terribly original but how our protagonist Adam spends his time in the virtual world is. Definitively worth a buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story that will have you pondering for awhile., November 17, 2011
Totally a fan of Hugh Howey. Sci-fi at its best with some darn good haiku.

This was a great short story. One that I voraciously read because I simply loved the subject matter.
As I was reading it gave me such a "What if?" kind of feel to it. And the ending just blew me away.

In honor of Hugh and his excellent story...a haiku.

Hugh Howey wows me
Haiku and science fiction
A splendid marriage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, May 28, 2011
D. A. Boyter "Andrew" (Boone, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
This is a well written, thought provoking gem of a novella. If you have 99 cents and about 45 minutes to spare, this is a great way to spend them. The story has good characters, great pacing and a satisfying ending. Themes include how we interact with technology and what the world will look like as technology continues to influence society. The novella is interesting and entertaining and i highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reader writes, September 16, 2012
Max Zaoui (Besançon, France) - See all my reviews
To Amazon's staff,

This is a letter of complaint. I'm not used to the act of denouncing anyone, or of pointing out abuse of any kind, as I've always considered it none of my business but that of official authorities. However, in the present case, I find myself compelled, or should I say under the obligation, to say something.
I know that a certain Hugh Howey has entertained quite a level of success recently, what with his famous series "Wool" and his latest novel "I, Zombie". Even I, I regret to say, fell for these books, which are undeniably true works of art. Even I, though it pains me to confess it today, marvelled at the man's genius. But no longer.
Because I've found out the truth about him, and the most outrageous part of his scam is that he exposes it openly, for all to see, in the novella aptly entitled "The Plagiarist". Over the past few years, Mr. Howey has found a way to plug into a virtual, digital world (don't ask me how, this is completely beyond me), in which sentient beings live, go to work, drink, eat, probably have physical intercourse... And produce works of art. Amazing works of art. Like books. Books that Mr. Howey committed to memory and rewrote shamelessly once he came back to the real world.
How else to explain that each of his books is so great? He can't have written them alone. I figured there had to be some kind of explanation. At first I thought it had to be some kind of workshop, similar to those many suspect Shakespeare to have set up. The answer may be more futuristic, but the crime is the same. What a clever little fellow, you have to give him that. For not getting caught (yet), for one thing. And for putting out works that share common traits, so you wouldn't be tempted to doubt their single origin. In "The Plagiarist", there's that same obsession for words, communication and seclusion that is there in "Wool", "I, Zombie" or the Molly Fyde series. There's the same quality of writing, a flawless prose that leads you to read for hours on end. There's that same depth turning an already thrilling narrative into something more...
But I should stop there, as I feel that if that letter was ever to be published, it may offer this despicable scam artist more publicity than anything else. I'll make sure to read his next books to keep you all posted on his mascarade, as I consider it now a form of duty to expose this scoundrel for what he is.

In the hope that my humble message opened your eyes,
Sincerely yours,
A devoted reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worlds apart from reality., April 2, 2012
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
Now here's a short story with a blend of good writing and editing combined with a liberal dose of imagination and an added peppering of true love, the resulting concoction being oh-so-enjoyable on the palette. Short and sweet, this one transports you to another reality; and although being somewhat predictable, it leaves you thinking. A solid 4 star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, June 19, 2011
Wade McGinnis (NC United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this story - and although the length works very well, it left me wanting more! Not a series, but just more about everything: the idea, the conception of the plot (giving anything away would spoil!), more about the characters, just more! An intriguing idea with plenty of consequences and potential. This quick read packs many elements together that will get your mental wheels a'turning and your compassion glowing. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intellectual Property Rights in Cyberspace, August 16, 2012
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
The Plagiarist by Hugh Howey is a short story examining a possible future where simulations in cyberspace have run off on their own, turning into almost self sustaining environments. As a result, these sim worlds have made incredible, independent advancements in the fields of arts and sciences.

Taking advantage, people from the "real world" began to take literary works, art, and scientific advancements back to the real world. Hugh Howey raises an important question in The Plagiarist: who owns the rights to these works?

In my view, these works become public domain. My reasoning is that when you have simulated worlds creating sims creating sins creating sims creating and so on, the property rights between the original owner from the real world and the sim world where the product is made is tenuous at best. So I view such products as water from a spring where any member of the public can dip in. However, this is my personal view and the courts may rule the opposite way on this issue.

Hugh Howey is a forward thinker who understands the ramifications of the existence of such simulated worlds that exist purely as bits of data on servers and networks. When future technology finally merges with the world envisioned by this author, our definitions of property may well be turned upside down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read: Too Short!, July 8, 2012
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed to realize I'd reached the end of this book, though I don't know how much further he could have taken the plot. The surprise twist was enjoyable and kept me reading through, engrossed the story. This is my third Howey book, having read the Wool Omnibus first and the Hurricane second. I'd rate Wool as his best, this one second and Hurricane as third. Glad to have read all three, can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly affective short story, April 28, 2012
This review is from: The Plagiarist (Kindle Edition)
First off, if you haven't read any of Hugh's other work, stop reading this now and try out his entire catalog. There's a huge variety between the Molly Fyde Series, Wool Series and his short stories, but none of them disappoint. The Plagiarist lives up to those high bars and is a terrific example of how he can draw the reader into a completely immersive physical and emotional realm before you even know it. In fewer words than it takes some authors to describe a singe room, he manages to get you right inside the protagonist's head...or is it him getting inside of your head.

The thing about The Plagiarist is that even when you see it coming, you are so invested in the story that it can really affect you. This is one of those stories that I read at night and couldn't go to sleep. I couldn't read anything for several days the impact was so strong as I kept mulling the story and it's implications over in my head. The thing about great writers and their great stories is that they live on with you sometimes weeks and years after you put them down. The characters aren't confined between the dedication and the author's picture. If you enjoy this type of story that can completely consume you and stick with you, read this. If you're looking for a short introduction to this insanely talented author that Amazon keeps recommending for you, read this. If you've read all of his other work, well you probably aren't reading this review anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent afternoon treat!, July 14, 2011
I read this book while on a short boat trip in South America. I'd just finished one of the Molly books (highly recommended) and wanted a little something different before delving into the next of the Saga. This novella was incredibly well done! I'm hard to impress with short stories because I like back stories and character development so much, but I really enjoyed "The Plagiarist." I found it easy to understand even from the perspective of someone who hardly ever reads science fiction. In fact, my favorite aspect of the read was the humanity it offered to science fiction. Thanks for an afternoon well spent!

The Plagiarist