Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

on January 8, 2013
I just purchased this book last night and have read it through already. I really wish I would have gotten a hard copy although there are links in place for the kindle version, it is a pain getting back to where you started once you leave your last page. UPDATE ***I do not have a Kindle Fire my Kindle is one of the original models. People with Kindle Fire are not having this problem. I am also not having this problem while using Kindle Software on my PC.***

The plan itself seems logical and I am going to do it. I have hypothyroidism, I'm 40 and I can't lose weight. I've suspected food allergies or excuse me having high reactivity to foods. I've gone through "boot camp" type programs in the past and ended up with some beautiful muscles but little to no fat loss.

One gripe I have is that the breakfast required to start "flax granola" coud be purchased via a website for $40. For the $40 you get three bags of flax granola and a bag of special flat bread. Where I'm from that's a lot of money for breakfast lol. The Author did redeem herself by putting a recipe to make it at home in the book, thankfully.

The other gripe I have is all the "It worked for me jargon" cluttering the chapters. I don't need that to try the plan, but maybe others do. I mean I bought the book already stop trying to sell it to me. It also made it hard to link back where I left off. I strongly suggest reading the book through skipping the stories, then go back and read the "it worked for me jargon" so you don't get confused.

I'll edit this post as I go through the plan and let you all know how it goes. I've already upped my water intake to prepare for the first phase. I hope to start this next Monday or Wednesday.

***Updated

1/15/2013
I made it through day 1. I had a headache all day yesterday and some back pains. The headache got so bad that by 5:00 pm I broke down and had a cup of coffee. It didn't really help. I made my own flax granola. It's not bad. I put frozen blueberries in it and vanilla coconut milk. I think when I'm done with the first part of the plan and I test honey, I'll sweeten it a bit with some honey. The lunch yesterday was way too big. I couldn't finish it, it was so filling that I accidentally skipped my snack. I am very surprised with yesterdays dinner. I've had kale in the past and I didn't like it. I couldn't chew it lol. I guess I was under cooking it. Needless to say dinner was really good. A bite of spicey then a bite of cooling carrot and beet salad. I ended up losing .6 pounds yesterday. It probably would have been more had I not had the coffee so late in the evening, or drank mint tea as suggested in the book.

1/16/2013
Yesterday was day 2 on "The Plan" I cheated and had coffee in the morning. I also couldn't finish my lunch again. It was carrot and ginger soup, broccoli and the part I skipped which was suppose to be greens with a 1/4 avocado and 1/2 an apple with sunflower seeds. But there just wasn't room to fit it in. I also tested raw almonds which I ate with 1/2 a pear and it looks like a go for me as I lost 1.4 pounds yesterday. Any weight gain would have alarmed me to a reactive response to the almonds.

Yesterday was also brain fog supreme. I suspect it's because I skipped part of my lunch. The brain needs healthy fats to operate normally. Today I have to try to fix my mistakes I made when paying my bills. LOL!

1/17/2013
My last day on the cleanse portion of the Plan was yesterday. I awoke with a headach, that went away later in the day. I was able to eat all the food today that was on the menu. And I lost another 1.2 pounds. Ending the cleanse I lost a total of 3.2 pounds. I will come back and update when the 20 days is complete.

1/18/2013
I know I said I wouldn't update for 20 days but I was shocked that I lost another 1.6 pounds. I feel great! The goat cheese yesterday was a little rich and I was afraid I may have a reaction, but nope, I'm still going strong. At this rate I will be at my goal weight in a few weeks. I only have about 12 more pounds to lose.

1/19/2013
Updating because I ate a reactive food. Yesterdays test was the rye cracker and I knew within 10 minutes of eating it. I got stomach cramps and a lot of gas. I downed a 16 oz glass of water with lemon juice. The reactive food showed up on the scale today as maintaining, thankfully I didn't gain. So today I'm having a food friendly day and tomorrow I'm testing steak.

1/20/2013
I'm back on track and lost an additional 1.6 pounds. I'm so looking forward to testing steak tonight for dinner. Yum! Tomorrow will be 1 week on the plan. Total weight excluding the 3.2 pounds I lost prior to starting the plan by upping my water intake is now 6.4 pounds I haven't been able to lose weight like this since I was a teenager and even then I didn't do it right. I feel like my body was patiently waiting for me to find this missing link so I can be healthy and it could drop the weight.

1/21/2013
Absolutely no weight loss or weight gain today. Yesterday I tested steak, when the author says its best to eat steak medium rare, please believe her. My steak accidentally got over cooked, in a mysterious grill fire. It felt like a rock in my stomach, and I knew it was a problem. I'm going to retest it again after I work through the 21 days. Today is a rest day. Lets see if the rest day gets the scale moving again.

1/23/2013
Sorry I haven't been updated I ran into brick wall.. But I'm getting back on track here is what happened.

On 1/22 I missed the mark for my water and I gained .4 pounds, then yesterday I went ahead and tested the bread not realizing being dehydrated causes reactivity so I maintained my weight again today. Today I'm doing a food friendly day and will stay at food friendly days until I lose the .4 pounds I gained. PS. I got help from their page on facebook. It takes a while but they do answer your questions if you ask on a post that was posted that day. You can find it by searching for TheLynGenetPlan on FB.

1/31/2013 Total weight loss is now 12.4 pounds! Today is day 16 for me. I've had an amazing week as I've watched the scale drop, my energy increase and oh yea, yesterday was my favorite day of all. I put away 2 pair jeans 5 years ago because I outgrew them. Well I tried them on and they FIT!! I can button them up and they're comfortable. I'm so happy!!! And... I normally plateau at 138 well I'm below 138 now and have been for 2 days. I have not worked out once on the plan because I'm an over-exerciser. My body is healing and I'm feeling and looking great.

2/8/2013: At the end of the 20 days doing the plan I lost a total of 14 pounds. I waited to update because I had labs done. Everything came back perfect! My monthly cycle is also so much better. I think this book should be mandatory for everyone 40+ who wants to feel good. I don't crave sweets, I don't crave salt, I've learned how to use my freezer to save time by reheating using the microwave. My mood is so much better and I don't HAVE to drink coffee everyday, I drink it now more out of habit then need. But it doesn't stop here! I'm still on the plan, I'm still planning my meals and staying away from foods that I'm reactive too and I have so many more foods that I want to test. I'm starting the plan over next week, just to get more foods that I'm not reactive too. Besides I love having my menu planned out already for me.
5454 comments|341 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
This is life changing information. I am 47 and have tried every diet lifestyle there is to maintain my weight as I age. I have studied nutrition since college, so I felt very knowledgeable until I learned about the plan. When I started the plan, I was already at a low weight from "embracing hunger" and exercising like a crazy person. On the plan, I was able to eat again. That in itself was heaven, but to lose weight while eating more was very foreign to me. I started dropping weight fast from an already low weight. By day 6, I had mental clarity, energy galore, and felt euphoric. My insomnia went away, my blood pressure went down, my cravings gone, and best of all I wasn't food obsessed. I was for the first time satiated. I was 125 pounds when I started, on two HBP meds (unusual for someone not overweight but I have family history), and didn't realize how starved my body was for nutrition. I ate well as I know nutrition, but as I aged, I ate less and less to stay the same weight. My body was starving. This morning I'm 110, so I have lost 15 pounds. I'm off all high blood pressure meds. I have more energy than my sons that are in their 20's. I've never in my life felt better. Sometimes now I have to exercise to burn off the excess energy at the end of the day. I eat fun yummy food. I gave up avocados in my 30's due to the fat calories, but now I eat 1-2 a day. I love love love avocados, and I get to eat them again. I eat dark chocolate daily. Lots of it. Sometimes after every meal. I eat carbs again. I eat burgers again. I feel ZERO deprivation. I lost weight through the holidays with no sweet cravings for Christmas junk. I felt like I was eating too much food through the holidays and the old familiar guilt feeling crept in, but the scale was going down. The weight loss is really not the best benefit from eating this way. The weight loss is just ancillary. I don't think I can ever eat "unfriendly foods" again because I feel so awesome fueling my body with what works best for my chemistry. I may have to decrease my exercise because I am still losing weight and none of my clothes fit me. My 00 pants are too big. I'm too old to shop in the teenage department, but I'm starting to get desperate. Love you Lyn. You are an incredible teacher. Your book is well written with a lot of "meat" and no fluff that most diet books have.
112112 comments|455 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
I am hearing far too many women in my life saying "I don't eat much" in response to my compliments on how great they look or when I ask how they lost the weight. They look so saddened when they say this. The thing is I was one of them in my 30s and in my 40s I was still one of them except I wasn't losing weight any longer. Then, the Plan entered my life and I began to eat so much food, all different types and could not seem to finish a meal on the Plan because I was full so fast. Previously, in an effort to stop the 15-20 pounds of weight I had gained due to hypothyroidism (I thought) . I was eating healthy foods and 1200-1400 calories per day, I dedicated myself to 5-6 days/week of 1-1.5 hours of working out, finally becoming vegan with an occasional fish (wild & locally caught). I watched my friends on the same diet dropping weight, but my acne, PMS and hypothyroidism continued, but with the large amount of exercise I was finally maintaining an 8-pound weight loss. I had to keep it up just to maintain!! (sigh...I was exhausted). I was skeptical because I had tried it all: weight watchers, medifast, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, all organic, with exercise, without exercise and all of them started great and ended with weight gain. So, I watched my friends for a year and still, they were having success and healing their health issues as well. I did try to convince Lyn Genet that I was different so her plan may not work with me. Taking one more chance, I committed to the Plan with the same loyal, honest, commitment I had to the others. I lost weight....FAST! 5 lbs. the first week and it just kept coming. That is what kept me going, that I lost immediately...not 1-2 pounds/month like I had the rest of my 30s and 40s, but daily. I ate foods I had cut out (with trepidation, but I did it), I had wine and chocolate every night, ate gourmet meals that were fast to prepare, cheese, potato chips, bread (hadn't had those in forever and I dropped 10 pounds in 20 days!) Foods that were making me gain: wild white fish, scallops, sun-dried tomatoes, hummus (which I ate daily for protein). I cut those, out, NEVER count calories, and I have kept it off. Not only that but I am medication free when I eat Plan menus consistently. Amazing! Miraculous!! It is only 20 days, you can do anything for 20 days, commit and do your best to do it 100% and it will happen for you!
5555 comments|388 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
So, I know I have many,many food sensitivities so this type of book spoke to me. I know I gain weight when I eat my inflammatory foods. I gain weight overnight just as she states, like clockwork. What I am hoping to find out, are more specifics to my sensitivities. The information is very good for the most part but I think with some tweaking this could be an excellent plan. For starters, nightshades are super inflammatory. Everyone who is sensitive to them is very aware of this fact. However in the first 2 days of the detox she has you eating cayenne pepper?!?! Lots of it. I am on day 3, and needless to say I have not lost an ounce. I wasn't even thinking about nightshades when I prepared my foods. I just followed the instructions and added the cayenne - duh on me. I wouldn't think with a book based on inflammation that I would have to worry about that. Secondly, she has you prepare WAY too much food that there is no mention of using later. I again assumed that we would be eating it in the next several days and just prepared as the recipe said. Lots of frozen food from the recipes in my future I guess. Thirdly, if you do test sensitive for a food (I am pretty sure I tested positive for almonds and chick peas on days 2 and 3) there are no substitutes for the upcoming days where she includes those foods. I would like to substitute something, but she says to follow the whole day since it is calorically and nutritionally put together... Fourth, and I think someone else commented about this, there is no grocery list? I looked on her website and sure enough there is one there, yet I cannot get it to pull up document. Fifth, if you are sensitive to a food she may have you eating it the next day. Now I am not an idiot and if my weight goes up I won't have that food on the second day. My gripe about this is that I prepare all my food for the upcoming day in the evening (not near enough time to make all this stuff in the am) what if my weight goes up - what am I supposed to eat for lunch that day?? Sixth, she tells you on Day 4 I think that you "wine, cheese and chocolate are now back in your diet" but does not tell you how to test the wine (how much, which day, etc). Seventh, is that she has you testing several foods on each day. For example on Day 4 you are adding in spinach, goat cheese and chocolate. If I gain weight the next day, how do I know which food it is from?? This book COULD be awesome on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Editions. Until then, I wrote this to help anyone else doing the plan.

By the way, I am at the end of day 3. Still have not lost any weight but probably due to the large amount of cayenne pepper ingested. It usually takes me several days to lose the inflammation weight. I will continue with the plan and see how I do. I did however go to the bathroom FOUR, yes 4 times on day 2 and twice on day 3! Good grief.

And for those who don't like to cook or prepare, this is NOT the diet for you. I pretty much cook all of my meals at home and take them with me and have been doing this for a year, so this is not a big deal for me. But this plan takes some extra special effort in the kitchen. Buyer beware you will have to cook lots.
3636 comments|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
I can't believe it took so long for someone to understand why certain foods make people gain weight. This Plan works! It's based on a theory that weight gain is the result of a negative reaction to certain foods due to inflamation, the bodies natural defense system. My wife wanted to try it, so I bought the book. She'd seen the plan on Dr. Oz and started it just from the explanation on the show. When the book arrived, she got into making the recipes and she was losing a lb a day. She only had about 18 lbs to lose and she's almost there. After seeing how well she was doing, I started the plan and have lost 21 lbs to date. I don't get sluggish after meals anymore (unless I eat a reactive food) and the mid afternoon dip in energy is gone.

It's a little hard at first, drinking all the water and stopping all the bad habbits, but once you're over the detox (three days), the foods are tasty, you eat a lot (a LOT) and the weight comes off. You stop eating all foods with preservatives, all artificial sweeteners, all low fat foods. You eat the foods you don't react to and avoid the ones you do react to. You determine which foods you react to by a series of tests. It's that simple. If you react to a food, you feel off, maybe get a headache, feel tired and gain weight. Then, you take a safe day and the gained weight comes right back off.

Highly recommended for anyone that's truely serious about losing weight.

16 Feb 13 - update. So, I've been reading some of the negative reviews and thought I share a few observations. Apparently everyone who's disappointed thought that they only had to buy the book and the weight would magically come off. You have to work at it people. Nothing worth doing or having comes free. Sitting around, not participating and eating anything that came along is how you put on the pounds in the first place.

The menues and ingredients aren't written in stone. My wife and I couldn't find an economical source for flax granola so we improvised. We bought Go Lean Crunch in Costco to use for breakfast and it worked just fine. It's inexpensive and very good. Mancheco cheese is expensive so we tested jack cheese and that's what I have when cheese is called for. So far I've tested reactive to potatoes, hake and cod. But I'm eating shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, eggs, Whole milk, goat's and cow's milk cheese. I eat Squash, peppers, onions, mushrooms, mixed greens, lettuces, carrots, parsnips, 30 or so seasonings. I can eat wheat and rye bread. I'm only into my 20TH DAY (I skipped a few rest days) and I'm eating 3 eggs, 2 homemade brats, 2 slices of toasted rye bread and stir fried squash, peppers and onions for breakfst every other day. The other days I have a mixture of granola/raison bran with strawberries, blueberries and cranberry raisons - very tasty. The diet is not restrictive once you test a number of food items that are non-reactive.

I plan to be eating following this plan for the rest of my life. I'm 66 and feel better than I have in a long time. I've lost 21 lbs (had a setback two days with the cod) and am going for another 60. I have asthma and since I've been on the plan, I'm breathing better. Must be the loss of inflamation.

If you're NOT willing to give it an earnest try for at least 30 days, then you will probably fail. If you give the plan an honest try and get a little creative with your meals, you WILL succeed, you'll have lots of different foods to eat, enjoy the meals and the weight will come off and stay off. You have to plan and make your meals ahead of time, making enought for leftovers. Your health may even get better.
on January 20, 2013
I purchased this book hoping it would help my partner finally loose weight. Her weight has been steadily creeping up during the past year. We did it together. She has lost 4 lbs in 4 days and I feel great. Recently I had been suffering with stomach discomfort, skin breakouts, lethargy. I have been active for 30yrs, weight training, biking, running eliptical ect... It has required a lot of work for me to maintain my weight. I work out 7 days a week one hr a day and I have always had a clean diet. What I have learned from this book is things like Oatmeal, protein powders, bars and vitamins have caused me problems. I am well educated about food, nutrition and am a certified personal trainer. This book has made a huge difference in my energy levels and overall I feel great. Yes it is difficult to cook and prepare the foods, but it is 3 wks out of your life. Come on! I have read some of the reviews complaining about the prep work. How lazy have we become that we cannot dedicate ourselves to a 20 day potentially life changing experiment? To those who have said that the Author lacks data and facts, I would say this: data and facts are useless. Try the diet then write the review! So many diet and health books quote this study and that study. The only study I am interested is the one I conduct on me! So my plan is to stay on "the plan" forever. I do not feel deprived, I am spending much less time working out and I feel great. So concludes the study...
on January 8, 2013
I have seldom written reviews, but this "Plan" is a GAME CHANGER for me. I have lost 10 lbs so far. I have not been this weight in 10 years! Food is no longer my enemy, it is my friend. I am not eating blindly (I had substantial food intolerances, allergies), but now can eat with a growing knowledge of what my body can digest and makes it feel healthy (vs exhausted and groggy) and LOSE weight. I have been to countless doctors and allergists over the years. None worked. It is not a diet, but a science of your body and an easy way to live forever. The purpose of the plan is solely to discover what YOUR body deems as "friendly" foods or "unfriendly foods". Every body is different. The friendly foods will make you lose weight, while unfriendly foods will make you gain weight. On days 1-5 of the plan I lost 7 lbs, but I ate a substantial amount of food and did no exercise. After day 4, you begin "testing" new foods to determine which food your body deems as friendly. Day 2 and 3 were extremely difficult (tired and groggy due to no protein), but by day 4-5 you feel fantastic and full of energy. My health, energy, menstrual cycle, hormones, mood all improved. Now foods for me are healing, versus harmful. I was eating healthy foods that poisoned me (gained weight eating egg whites, etc), but lost weight eating chicken, lamb, red wine, and chocolate. (But everyone is different what works for me, may not for you, until you test it yourself through the plan.) It sounds crazy, but it works. Simple foods such as oatmeal or tomatoes, your body may chemically dislike and as a result you gain weight. However, to do Plan you must be dedicated to cooking all your meals (ideally for the first 8 days, easy recipes and they are in the book) and to very carefully measuring your water intake (too much or too little water and you will gain weight). I would not have believed it could work until I experienced it first hand. I have done the Plan and so have several friends, we all lost weight easily and feel better. I am educated and have some nutrition knowledge, but we are all skeptics until we see for ourselves. It can help those with food intolerances, thyroid issues, diabetics, or those who just want to lose weight that will not come off and you don't know why. It is indeed BRILLIANT how she figured this food puzzle out, but it was a true game changer for me. p.s. - She has posted on her website "Lyn-Genet" ([...]) tips for prepping your food for the first 4 days. See Book, Tips. It will make it a bit easier to get going. (You have nothing to lose, but weight!)
66 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
First of all, I am not a fan of the granola, lol. But that's not a big deal. And OK, the author doesn't present "studies" that back up her work, as others have complained. I'm OK with that too - I can take decades of experience with clients as a starting point. And since this approach is about you testing what works for YOU, not just accepting the results of what has worked for someone else, that's fine by me - your body's own response is the ultimate authority here, and you can't get more real than that.

Restrictive? Yes. Any elimination diet is! This is no worse than most - better actually, because when you eat the food prescribed, you are not hungry and you are not short nutritionally.

Losing weight? You bet! 5.5 pounds in the first 6 days. Reduction of symptoms, like gastric distress, joint aches and skin irritations? Yes, beginning in the first 2 days!

So am I happy overall? Yes, because this is real food, it's working, and the concept of reactivity and inflammatory response makes sense to me, jibes with what I know of my own body and its responses to food. Am I completely happy with the book? No, as you can tell from the 3-star rating I've given it.

The problem, in a nutshell, is lack of organization and thoroughness:

- Recipe instructions are sometimes written more for people who already know how to make the dish, rather than spelling out all the details involved for people who don't. The recipes also sometimes contradict themselves, in ingredients and in amounts.

- The book does give minimal instructions for thyroid-specific changes to the Plan, and outlines differing quantities for men and women where appropriate. And - surprise! - now on day 7 I've just found a thyroid version of the menu lurking in the back of the book! I did not see ANY reference to it in the text of the book leading up to the (regular) menu plans. Nope, I haven't read all the way to the end yet, or I'd have seen it there, but I'm willing to bet lots of people don't, and instead go ahead and get started with the regular menu plan (as I did) when they get to that part of the book, without realizing there was another option in the back. But wait: there's more! There are in fact NINE entire menu plans available to accommodate differing needs, just not in the book you paid for. So if you don't happen upon her website by chance, as I have done now, 7 days in, you do not have her guidance on how to amend the Plan appropriately for celiac, dairy-free, vegan, pescatarian, etc., and maintain the nutritional integrity of the Plan, which is key. Ideally the variations should all be in the book, but at the very least, the website should be mentioned so people can find their way there for this info.

- As some others have mentioned, this is NOT an easy plan to follow, because there is a lot of prep work and cooking. Two more omissions from the book make this even more difficult: a PDF outlining how to accomplish the food prep for days 1-3 quickly and efficiently is available on the website, but nowhere to be found in the book. I wasted hours I could ill afford slogging through the prep because, even though I paid for the book, I didn't have pointers from the author, who'd already done all the prep, presumably many times over, and knew the best way to organize it.

- And the notion that it's perfectly acceptable to do a few days, stop, and do a few more days later is likewise not present in the book. The natural assumption on the part of the reader is that it's necessary to carry on through the entire 20 days of the Plan. Since it is quite time- and labor-intensive, the option to break it up would help more people get more out of the Plan. Again, if a person didn't happen to find the website, and relied exclusively on the book they purchased for their information, they'd be without this important option.

The point is, all this should be in the BOOK. You pay for a book, you expect the good stuff to be in there, not randomly thrown up on a website you don't even know about. It's almost like the book was an afterthought rather than the most complete, comprehensive source of the information.

Would I recommend? Yes, but only with the caveat that you MUST get on the website to get the rest of the information you need to fill in the numerous gaps in the book itself. And be ready to work in the kitchen!! For anyone thus prepared, the results can be really great.
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2014
Crazy unorganized book so I made this to do the diet without having to filter all the excess text in the book. You need book for the recipes (most food mentioned are recipes,) references to men’s portion sizes, and all the other info! Their website is somewhat helpful too!

The goal of the book is to essentially lower your inflammation, test out foods to see if you have a reaction thus being able to create a personalized eating plan to lower inflammation and lose weight.

This is a high protein diet (heavy on veggie proteins.)

CONS
-- Supposedly you’re supposed to be at least 35 to do this. I am 26 and am doing it anyway but it would’ve been nice to know before I spent on it and an explanation for why it’s not in my age range.
-- The review/success stories of the diet are mentioned every 5 seconds. I already bought the book, I’m convinced anymore! It felt infomercially.
-- There’s a lot of explaining what this diet is not. Just tell me what you do and how you do it. I don’t need a book to tell me what it doesn’t do.

PREPLAN FOR THE PLAN
Buy:
-- Digital Bathroom Scale (0.00 setup, that doesn’t round up.)
-- Basal Body Thermometer (more accurate than regular thermometers, in pregnancy isle of stores. 97° (sometimes 65.5°) or above is good, loser is underactive thyroid. Put under armpit and sit completely still for 3-4 minutes.
-- Basic Cooking Tools
-- Notebook/Journal to track everything you’re doing!
Recommended Buys
-- Liver Detoxifier or Dandelion Tea (Enhances detox.)
-- MSM (for allergies)
-- Probiotics (When you get gassy or have yeast reaction, 30-50Billion live cultures.)
-- Kelp (Great for thyroid. NOW brand 250mg)
-- Maine Coast Sea Seasonings (replaces salt)
-- B12 Supplement (liquid form, don’t take too long!)

WATER REQUIREMENT EQUATION
Body weight/2=oz.
Ex: 200/2=100oz
+6oz per 20min exercise (or time in hot sun.)
+8oz per 1hr weight training (or time in hot sun.)
+equal amount of wine (Ex: 4oz wine+4oz H20.)

Migraines often caused from dehydration. If you have migraines, make sure you’re hydrated.
Drink water requirement before 7:30PM (this way it doesn’t interrupt sleep cycle.)
If you don't, remember that your weight will be more because of this.

TIPS
-- Since this is a scientific experiment, the order and particular foods are chosen for a reason. Do not mix around. Dinner can be swapped with lunch. No substitutions unless there’s a dire reason, any substituting can cause an issue in this plan.
-- Check if tongue has white film. This implies yeast growth (exacerbated by too much sugar and/or fermented foods.
-- If gassy, bloated, have probiotics.
-- Feeling sleepy is a sign that your body wants to rest in order to heal itself. Listen!
-- Keep ratio of cooked and raw veggies on plate until you test for how bloated you are with solely raw.
-- Keep warm.
NEVER USE FAKE SUGARS NOT EVEN STEVIA!
Avoid MSG

Avoid goitrogenic foods (until we test them).
The most common goitrogenic foods are:
Broccoli
Peanuts
Pine nuts
Radishes
Raspberries
Soybean and soy products, including tofu
Spinach

Oregano
Rosemary
Thyme
Turmeric
AVOID paprika, licorice, chili powder, and fennel (they exacerbate inflammation.)

-- Animal protein: One serving is 4 to 6 ounces for women and 6 to 8 ounces for men (about the size of the palm of each gender’s hand, respectively).
-- Vegetables: Unless otherwise indicated (like for roasted vegetables, which are naturally higher in sugar), please feel free to eat Plan-friendly cooked vegetables until you feel full.
-- Salads: Eat until you feel full.
-- Soups: Eat until you feel full.
-- Cheese: We have found 1 ounce to be the optimal amount to begin with.
-- Nuts and seeds: When they’re included in salads or eaten as a snack, please use a generous handful (unless otherwise indicated), which is roughly 1 ounce for women and 1½ ounces for men.

PHASE ONE - Detox/3 Day Cleanse
Do not exercise during these three days!!! This will stop body from healing itself as first priority which is key to detox. A (non-vigorous) walk, light yoga, massage, sauna, resting is all okay. Let your body repair itself, you can exercise and all that on day 4.

Don’t use butter until day 4. Use Oil and lemon for salad dressing for these 3 days.

Day 1
Weigh yourself (record in journal.)
Drink 16oz H20 with lemon and take detox supplement and/or cup of dandelion tea.
1C Whole Flax (soaked overnight) Granola + ½C Blueberries
Lunch
Carrot Ginger Soup with chia or sunflower seeds.
Water sautéed or steamed broccoli drizzled with Orange Oil + Lemon Juice
Mixed greens with ½ medium-sized pear + handful of pumpkin seeds.
1 med-size apple
Sautéed Kale + Veggies with Spicy Coco Sauce
Beet and Carrot Salad + pumpkin seeds
Finish rest of water intake by 7:30PM!

Day 2 - Almond Test (MUST be raw, unsalted, not roasted.)
1C Whole Flax (soaked overnight) Granola + ½C Blueberries
Lunch
Carrot Ginger Soup with chia or sunflower seeds.
Mixed greens+½ diced apple+¼ avocado
Leftover Broc from first day.
½ pear + handful (1oz) almonds
Dinner
Leftover sautéed Kale and veggies = 1C brown rice and pumpkin seeds.
Beet and Carrot Salad + sunflower seeds
Finish Daily Water Intake by 7:30PM

Day 3 - Chickpea Test (low sodium, less than 100mg sodium, if canned)
Upon Awakening
Weigh Yourself (record in journal.)
Lunch
Baby romaine lettuce + ¼ avocado, pumpkin seeds, carrots.
Spicy Vegetarian Soup + ½C chickpeas.
Snack
10-12 Raw Almonds (or if you tested ‘reactive’ replace with ½ apple or pear.
Dinner
2-3oz Chicken with Italian Herbs and Orange Zest over a bed of mixed greens.
1C Roasted Italian Winter Vegetables
End of Cleanse

FOOD REACTIONS LOOK LIKE: (Normal is ½LB weight gain, no extra symptoms.)
-- Weight gain
-- Increase in or new appearance of chronic or latent health issues (skin flare ups, joint pain, etc)
-- Digestion disturbances (gas, constipation, etc)
-- Emotional changes (sadness, instability)
-- Insomnia
-- Hormone imbalance
-- Fatigue (not related to healing on detox or other activity.)
EX: If someone feels bloated, gets a headache and is sleepy after eating, thats a reaction. This is not a normal reaction to food.

What to Look For If You’ve Gained Weight After a Friendly Day
-- You’ve had too little/too much water, or drank water three to four hours before bedtime.
-- You’ve had too much sodium
-- You over exercised.
-- You deviated and/or didn’t have enough protein or fat
-- You didn’t get enough sleep
-- Your body has not recovered yet from prior inflammation
-- Stress

-- Over Exercising
-- Had too much sodium
-- Didn’t meet water requirements
-- Ate reactive foods
-- Reactions to foods don’t mean they are banned forever; you just need to be in a less inflamed state before having them again. This way you can monitor your response to it.

Potential Reactivity of Foods (Reactions to food generally lasts 24-48hrs, 72hrs if severe.)
90% Reactive
• Farm-raised fish
• Deli meats
Most sushi (potential reactive agents are wasabi, ginger, soy sauce, and the
• combination of fish and rice)
• Hot dogs
• Turkey
• Tomato sauce
• Eggplant
• Oatmeal
Greek yogurt (has more water drained out than regular yogurt, creating a higher
• Concentration of dairy (high dairy consumption in one meal is problematic it.)
• Black beans
• Cannellini beans
• Cauliflower
• Cabbage
• Hard-boiled eggs
• Nonorganic spinach
• Cottage cheese
• Grapefruit (interferes with liver function and medications)
• Salmon
• Asparagus
• Bagels (higher gluten flour)
70% Reactive
• Regular yogurt
• Green beans
• Oranges
• Pork
• White or whole wheat pasta (higher gluten)
60% Reactive
• Peppers
• Mushrooms (excluding shiitake)
• Tuna
• Swordfish
• Edamame
• Pineapple
• Cod (unless you are thyroid deficient, in which case it lowers to 30%)
• Whole eggs (other than hard-boiled)
• Sweet potatoes
• Lactose-free milk
• Tahini
30% Reactive
• Egg whites
• Nut butters made with roasted nuts
• Strawberries
• Tofu
20% or Less Reactive
• Bread (details to come about the different types of bread in Chapter Five)
• Scallops
• Steak
Roasted nuts (if you have chronic illness, autoimmune disease, or depression,
• this can bump up to 70%)
• Snow peas
• Bok choy
• Cow’s milk cheese
• Sesame seeds
• Tempeh
10% or Less Reactive
• Pit fruits (mangoes, avocados, etc.)
• Garlic
• Chickpeas
• Raw onions
• Shiitake mushrooms (may be higher if you have systemic yeast)
• Chard (will be much higher if you have thyroid issues)
• Spinach, organic (will be much higher if you have thyroid issues)
• Radicchio
• Endive
• Lamb
• Chicken
• Goat or sheep’s milk cheese
• Pears, apples
• Berries (except strawberries and raspberries)
• Broccoli
• Carrots
• Kale
• Zucchini
• Winter squash
• Beets
• Mixed greens (baby romaine, red leaf, butter lettuce, etc.)
• Arugula (will be much higher if you have thyroid issues)

PHASE TWO - Testing Phase
If you react to food, take a rest day (severe reaction take 2-3days). A rest day is a day of food that you know you have zero reaction to.

The goal here is to test foods and determine 40-45 foods that do not cause you problems.

You may use butter and salad dressings (from recipes) from now on. Don’t use dressings with dairy or mustard (check balsamic) until you’ve tested it.

Day 4 - Cheese Test
Lunch
Leftover steamed or sautéed veggies on bed of spinach with pumpkin seeds and goat cheese (hard or soft.)
Snack
Carrots with up to 6TB Homemade Hummus or Raw almond butter (2TB)
Chicken with Mango Cucumber Salsa
Mixed greens with carrots and ¼ avocado.
Steamed or Sautéed Broccoli with Orange Oil and Chili Flakes
Dessert
1oz Dark chocolate (65% Dark MAX) or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with whipped cream.

Day 5 - Rye Test
Breakfast
1C Whole Flax (soaked overnight) Granola + ½C Blueberries or ½ diced pear or apple.
Lunch
Mixed greens with carrots, ¼ avocado, pumpkin seeds and goat cheese
1 Rye cracker with 1-2 TB Raw Almond Butter
1-2C Watermelon with Chia Seeds
Chicken with Spicy Apricot Glaze on bed of Arugula
Sautéed roasted or grilled zucchini with onion and basil topped with Orange Oil and sheep’s milk Parmesan.
1oz Dark Choc or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with Whipped Cream

Day 6 - Protein Test
Lunch
Mixed greens with avocado, carrots, beets, pumpkin seeds, and chickpeas.
1 Rye Cracker
1-2C Watermelon + Chia seeds
Dinner
Choose one protein (Grilled wild white fish, steak, lamb, venison, duck, or egg) on top of a bed of mixed greens.
Roasted Squash, Kale and Manchego Salad
Dessert
1oz Dark chocolate or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with whipped cream.

Day 7 - No Test
Leftover Roasted Squash, Kale and Manchego Salad
1 Rye Cracker with almond butter
1 oz Salt Free Potato Chips
Chicken with Lemon Garlic Sauce on bed of arugula
Sautéed, grilled or steamed Veggies (broc, carrots, zucchini, onions and shiitakes) with garlic and herbs of choice.

Day 8 - Bread Test
Lunch
1 Slice Whole Wheat or White bread (Not multigrain!) with cheese, sunflower seeds, and avocado.
Spinach Salad with ½ diced apple.
Snack
Carrots up to 6TB of Homemade Hummus or raw almond butter (1-2TB)
Dinner
Protein that has been tested on bed of mixed greens.
Leftover Veggies from day 7.

Day 9 - No Test
Add cinnamon, raisins, vanilla flavor if desired.
OR ¾C cereal (no puffed rice) + 1/4C Flax granola and approved fruit.
1 slice bread + 4-5TB Raw Almond Butter + Whole piece fruit
Lunch
Baby Romaine + goat cheese +1/4 Avocado, cucumber and sunflower seeds.
Carrots with up to 6TB Homemade Hummus.
Snack
1 Chocolate Covered Pear slice + sunflower seed handful OR 1oz Salt Free Potato Chips.
Any approved protein.
The Plan Chopped Salad
Steamed broccoli with Lemon Oil and fresh ground black pepper.

Day 10 – New Protein Test
Add cinnamon, raisins, vanilla flavor if desired.
OR Bread with nut butter.
Spicy Vegetarian Soup
The Plan Chopped Salad with pumpkin seeds.
Snack
1 Rye Cracker + goat cheese, cucumber slices.
Dinner
Test new protein (Grilled Wild White fish, Steak, Lamb, Venison, Duck, Scallops, Pork, Cow’s Cheese, Lentils, Tempeh, Pinto Beans, Eggs)
Sautéed Kale or Spinach with sunflower seeds, avocado, lemon oil, and manchego cheese.

Day 11 - No Test
Bread with nut butter.
Lunch
Leftover sautéed kale or spinach with apple, sunflower seeds, and 1/2C low sodium chickpeas.
1oz Salt Free Potato Chips
Any approved protein
1 C Veggie Timbale
Baby romaine lettuce with grated carrots and cucumber.

Day 12 – New Veggie Test
Add cinnamon, raisins, vanilla flavor if desired.
OR Bread with nut butter and approved fruit.
Leftover 1C Veggie Timbale
1 Rye cracker with almond butter
Snack
1-2C Watermelon + Chia seeds.
Approved Protein
Test new veggie with approved veggies (sautéed, grilled, steamed, or roasted) and herbs of choice.
Leftover baby romaine salad.

Day 13 - No Test
Add cinnamon, raisins, vanilla flavor if desired.
OR Smoothie with chia seeds and rye cracker with raw almond butter.
Lunch
Open face veggie sandwich + leftover green veggies with goat cheese and sunflower cheese
Spinach salad with Apples
OR
Salad with leftover veggies and goat cheese and rye cracker with up to 6TBof Homemade Hummus
1 chocolate covered pear slice with pumpkin seed handful
Approved protein
2C of approved veggies of choice (steamed, sautéed, roasted or grilled) and herbs of choice.
1oz Dark Chocolate or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with Whipped Cream.

Day 14 – New Breakfast Addition Test (test whole or lactose free milk)
Lunch
Leftover The Plan Chopped Salad with pumpkin seeds.
1 apple or pear
1 oz salt free potato chips and 1/8C of Homemade Guacamole
Dinner
Approved protein on bed of spinach and grated carrot.
Leftover approved veggies.

Day 15 - No Test
Lunch
Opened face sandwich with raw almond butter, sunflower seeds, and apple with mixed greens.
OR any approved salad with 15 to 25 gm of veggie protein (no rice) and soup of choice (Butternut Squash Soup, Spicy Veg, or Carrot Ginger)
1-2C Watermelon + Chia seeds
Chicken with Indian Spice Rub
Sautéed Kale with Veggies
Steamed Broccoli with lemon and lemon oil

Day 16 – Two Proteins in One Day Test
Bread with nut butter.
Smoothie with 4TB Chia Seeds + 1 Rye Cracker with Raw Almond Butter
Leftover Sautéed Kale with Veggies and chicken with Indian Spice Rub
1 Apple
Watch energy level in the afternoon today. If you notice an energy dip, then animal protein at lunch may not be ideal for you.
Snack
1 Rye Cracker with 1oz Cheese and cucumber.
Dinner
Approved protein over mixed green bed.
Steamed, grilled, sautéed, or roasted approved veggies with herbs of choice.

Day 17 - Cheese Test
Lunch
Leftover veggies on spinach bed with sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Snack
1 Chocolate Covered Pear Slice with almond handful.
1 C Veggie Timbale
Mixed greens with carrot and apple.

Day 18 – New Veggie or Restaurant Test
Upon Awakening
Weigh Yourself & Take BBT (record in journal.)
Breakfast
1C Whole Flax (soaked overnight) Granola + approved fruit. Add cinnamon, raisins, vanilla flavor if desired.
OR Smoothie with 4 TB Chia seeds and 1 Rye Cracker with Raw Almond Butter
OR Approved Breakfast
Leftover Spicy Chickpea Spinach Salad
Butternut Squash Soup
1oz Salt free Potato chips with ¼C Homemade Guacamole
Test Restaurant Food
OR Approved Protein
Any Salad
Test any new cooked veggie mixed with approved veggies.
Dessert
1oz Dark Chocolate or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with shipped cream.

Day 19 - No Test (repeat day you had the most weight loss.)

Day 20 – New Veggie Test
Upon Awakening
Weigh yourself & BBT (record in journal.)
Breakfast
OR Bread with raw almond butter + approved fruit.
OR New approved breakfast.
Approved salad of choice with minimum 15gm veggie protein
Choice of Soup
1 Chocolate covered Pear Slice + handful of almonds
Approved protein
Test a new veggie and add too approved veggies (steamed, sautéed, grilled or roasted.)
Mixed green salad with pear slices.
Dessert
1oz Dark Chocolate or Cinnamon Poached Fruit with whipped cream.

5 DAY SELF-TEST
Only test one new variable a day.
Have one dense carb (rice or bread,) one max protein (10-40gm BF, 15-25grm Lunch, 30-60 Dinner, unless you tested better with 2 proteins a day on day 16.)

Day 21 - No Test
Breakfast
Any with 10-40grams protein.
½ piece approved fruit.
Lunch
Salad of choice with 1-20gm protein.
1 Rye Cracker (optional)
Soup or cooked veggie (in winter.)
Any
Protein of choice
Salad of choice
Cooked veggie of choice
Approved dessert of choice

Day 22 – Portion Size Test (repeat day 21, just increase protein, dairy or dense grain carb.)

Day 23 – New Breakfast Test (repeat day 21)
Breakfast
Try new or add whole dairy, grain, fruit, eggs, etc.

Day 24 - Exercise Test (repeat best day, exercise today, see how it effects you.)

Day 25 – Repeat Test (repeat day 21)

Protein: Aim for at least;
10 grams at breakfast,
15 to 40 at lunch,
40 to 70 at dinner.
Steak: best to have only once every seven days
Lamb: two to three times weekly
Beans: once per day
Fish: twice weekly
Eggs: once every other day (daily is a separate test)
Nuts and seeds: 1 to 2 servings of nuts and 1 to 2 servings of seeds per day
Cheese: 1 to 2 ounces per day

I hope this helps! Good luck!
55 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
As a physician I was never taught about nutrition or weight loss. Everyday I am confronted with patient after patient describing their frustration and confusion over how to lose weight and I feel helpless. I try to guide them but every person had different results, or no results. I started to realize there was no one "diet" that fits everyone because we are all unique. That was when I read Lyn-Genet's article in a magazine and from a medical stand point it made total sense, it is the missing component in nutrition science.

Figuring out what foods I react to and cutting them out of my diet has transformed my health and my body. This has been life changing experience and I will never look at food the same way.

I am thrilled to have another medical tool to help patients manage and eliminate their chronic conditions such as migraines/arthritis/depression.

~ Nicole Talbot D.O. - Board Certified Family Medicine
2323 comments|262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse