Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on January 23, 2012
An author who calls herself the Plot Whisperer and writes a book on the secrets of structuring story plot, should have no trouble sticking to the plot, right? Er... actually, no. The book, whilst containing useful tips on structuring creative writing, is overwritten, takes way too long to get started, and is bloated with strange pseudo-mystical statements like "Explore your essence," and "Transform a piece of the invisible world into a visible form". In fact, by the time the 'Plot Whisperer' tells us that as well as whispering plot to struggling writers, she also heals dogs by channelling "energy" from the "other side of the veil", she appears rather to have lost the plot altogether. Don't get me wrong, it is not my place to judge the author's spiritual beliefs or healing powers, I just question the relevance of these things in imparting what is otherwise a solid introduction to story structure for writers. It seems her writing/workshops and business all hang on this concept of her as a Plot Whisperer, and I fear she has bought a little too far into the gimmick. A solid teacher of story structure, she may be, but a mystical plot whisperer? That might only be in the "invisible world".
1515 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
I am an aspiring writer myself, and have spent a great deal of time, effort, energy and some money researching and trying to learn some of the more technical aspects of writing a book (plotting, structure, character development, etc).

I will say that I picked up some basics on plotting and scene structure in this book, but I got lost somewhere in the higher energy, Universal Story segment, which plays a large role in the teachings of this author.

Obviously our writings come from within us, so whatever avenue gets our stories from our minds and into written words on paper; be it positive energies, meditation, all nighters in front of the computer typing away with non stop coffee, then so be it.

I have no doubt that this book has and will motivate many aspiring writers. As for me, right now--I just want the facts minus the fluff.
on November 19, 2012
Okay, so, I couldn't finish this one. It probably has some good advice in there, it's just all mixed in with a therapy session wherein the author is telling the reader what s/he thinks and feels. Very new-agey, but I guess I should have expected that from the title. Meh.
on August 10, 2013
It appears the right-brainers can deal with the transformative transcendent universality lingo long enough to read this very different way of looking at writing. (Hey, left-brainers, some people still talk like that.)

She nailed right brain and left brain writers, and gave excellent advice about the agony of the revision process. This isn't a quick read to snatch up interesting tidbits for that book you've stalled out on. This is sitting down at Starbuck's with a psychotherapist who happens to specialize in writers and is a bit flaky. I can overlook weird, but it is wearing, even for a former hippie.

My quarrel? She advises: "So long as you are honest and true to yourself, you have what it takes to write a good book." I beg to differ.
Look at the tripe published on Amazon by good-hearted, well-intentioned folks who desperately want to be acknowledged as a writer. Since Amazon will publish ANYthing, it is now awash with millions of unreadable books, written by those "honest and true" people, and some who only want to make a buck. None of whom have practiced the craft long enough to learn HOW to write. Writing a readable, enjoyable book is hard work, period, and too many people are "practicing" on readers long before they should. Meditation and flows of energy may help, but so would a writing class and a vicious editor.
on May 14, 2014
Honestly just about gave up with this one about 1/4 through as there was more touchy-feely faux mystic pablum than solid writing/plotting advice. The book does begin to hit its stride midway through and some concepts like threshold guardian, etc., are well explained. Not as helpful as some of her free webisodes. Really more dedicated to literary fiction than genre fiction. I'd recommend many others ahead of this one: Hooked...Story Engineering...James Frey's series of "How to Write a Damn Good..."...all better than this one, in my opinion.
on May 10, 2013
I'm probably among the minority with this (haven't read through many reviews for this particular book), but I honestly found the tone of the book, especially the intro, to be condescending. Sure, it has good information and probably some good exercises in it, but I couldn't get past the feeling of being talked down to. There was simply very little to engage me and that was disappointing.
on January 8, 2013
The book helps you structure your thoughts, but of course nothing writes the script for you. It is a fast read and a good reference.
on August 22, 2014
it's not me. too holistic of a method. might work for a pantser