on February 10, 2011
I have a bit of an unusual background for a Daily Variance customer: I bought The Poker Blueprint having never played a hand of online poker. I played quite a bit of small stakes live games, where I generally did quite well, but I'd heard that the online games were much tougher (they are!) and wanted to be well-armed with the best knowledge before I made the transition. I'd read nearly all the conventional poker books by 2+2 and other publishers, and knew that a good deal of the advice was calibrated for weaker 2003-style games. An extreme example-- Phil Gordon's assertion, in The Little Green Book, that a 4bet is 99% aces. Even really good books were generally written with advice designed to beat weaker opponents in more passive games.

The Poker Blueprint was exactly what I was looking for. It's long, covering a vast range of topics, and extremely dense. I have read it through and have begun to work my way through it a second time. I have found it extremely useful in two ways-- first, as an all-around primer, and secondly, as an encyclopedia in which I can look up particular topics of interest. I've gotten a subscription to a video training site, and when I see something in a video, say, a tricky spot on a paired flop, a second barrel on the turn, or a donk bet, I flip to the appropriate discussion in The Poker Blueprint to get more analysis on the topic. Like a good encyclopedia, The Poker Blueprint covers it's topics succinctly and clearly.

I'm by no means alone in my regard for this book-- the reviews on 2+2 were by-in-large glowing. The Poker Blueprint doesn't strive to be the final word on most topics-- poker is vastly complicated and one could imagine a book devoting 200 pages to 3betting or balancing your flop check-raising range on a two tone board-- rather it gives the reader a solid, functional foundation to approach each situation. Like a good encyclopedia, the information is brief and clear. At 260 pages, a massive amount of material is covered. In terms of pure dollar value, it's got to be one of the best bargains around.
on February 7, 2011
Small stakes tournament players,

If you are currently a solid micro or small stakes tournament player considering moving up or loosening your style pull the trigger and buy "The Poker Blueprint".

Although "The Poker Blueprint" was written for 6-max online cashgames, I bought it to help me with my early tournament game. Early in a tournament, when stacks are 150bb or more, play is much like a cash game. I reasoned that if I incorporated winning moves from micro and small stakes cashgames into my early tournament play I would increase my ROI and be more competitive as I moved up. Many successful small field MTT grinders, are playing as super nits during the first half of every tournament they play. I see stats like 9/7 or 11/6 all the time from winning players in these low stake games where ABC nit poker is profitable since there are so many fish willing to stack off with top pair no kicker. As somewhat of a nit myself 18/12, I saw the early tournament stages as a chance to increase my ROI. My plan was to learn a LAG cashgame style and implement it against regs and fish in these small field MTTs. Since reading "The Poker Blueprint" I've loosened up to 24/17, increased my ROI by 10% and moved up to higher stake tournaments.

Put simply, I was missing opportunities, you probably are too. Starting with preflop play The Poker Blueprint helped me see new profitable spots to open, but perhaps more importantly it help me implement a profitable 3-bet strategy. In an environment where opponents will only 4-bet with QQ+ this strategy is brutally effective and drastically improved my bottom line. Further, "The Poker Blueprint" gives an intuitive, but advanced, approach to post-flop play. There are many other sources on post flop play out there. Having read many of them I can honestly say that you will have a hard time finding a discussion of c-betting, floating and barreling in a package that is this accessible to new players. If you do, it's not going to be at this price range.

An unexpected benefit from reading this book has been the strength it has added to my late tournament push/fold play. Previous to reading this book, I was open-shoving and 3-bet-shoving with 10-15bb mostly for value. After reading "The Poker Blueprint's" discussion of fold equity and 4-betting I've completely changed the way I look at late tournament push fold decisions. In the past I would often go card dead and blind down until AQ or 88+ showed up, then shove only to double back to the stack I had before blinding down. Now, I dont feel like I have to wait for cards, just profitable opportunities. The great part is that the cards still come, so I find myself with a big stack much more often near the bubble and at the final table.

Amazingly, if you read, understand and pull the trigger, they will fold. It is for this reason I strongly recommend "The Poker Blueprint" to other MTT players. Even though the book's intended audience is cashgame players, I'm certain you'll find it useful in your games.
on February 11, 2011
I purchased this book "the Poker Blueprint" earlier this year.
It has had a profound influence on my playing -- it's raised it to a new, higher level.
Most books today are written on a high school level, or at an abstract, theoretical approach. Your book is all solid, usable, college graduate information.
My relatively small investment has more than paid itself many, many times over.
I play online at poker stars in $50 SNG's and cash games in Atlantic City.
Some of the your books may be a little pricey for some, but others are more than reasonable. The only fault I found is that the proof reading could be a little tighter.
For anyone who wants to improve their game, these are a must buy!

Sincerely,
J. J. Reynolds.

P. S. With so many young aggressive players out there, someone like me who turned 78 in September needs all the help I can get -- these fill the bill.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2011
When I received the Poker Blueprint as a Christmas present, I brushed it aside because I didn't recognize the authors' names. Anyone who is familiar with poker knows that bad advice is more detrimental to your game than no advice. This is why I rarely read poker books anymore.

However, my brother kept winning online and for the first time in my life, I was having a tough time dealing with the aggressive nature of online poker. I asked him for advice and he said, "I told you to read the Poker Blueprint."

I finally gave in and was blaming for myself for not giving in sooner. The content was amazing.

Usually, with most poker books, the authors give generic advices that aren't practical to the games you play in. They don't teach you how to think about poker and what variables you should consider when analyzing a hand. The Poker Blueprint is different.

The authors go step by step to teach you the nuances of online poker. Then they teach you how to play pre-flop, the flop, the turn, and the river. I didn't know there was so much analysis and psychology warfare involved in a poker hand. The post-flop section was mind blowing. This comes from someone who has read other popular series such as Harrington on Holdem and Kill Everyone.

I was so impressed with the book, I Googled for the author's background and holy s***, I didn't know Nguyen was the leading authority for online poker education and is a well-respected figure in the poker community. He has written many popular books for professional poker players and has won hundreds of thousands playing poker online. I felt embarrassed for my initial judgment.

Anyway, buy the book. You'll learn something. Thank me later.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2011
I am a struggling poker player win some/loose some. This book is packed full of knowledge from a professional and i believe my game will benefit from it. Problem is, like others have said, the layout is sometimes hard to follow, and it is poorly edited. Lots of typos and hard to understand situations. The concepts in the book could have been laid out more clearly; had more time been taken to proof read, if it actually was.
I am putting the information to use in my play, but I am having to read and reread in order to implement the concepts in the book.
on February 11, 2011
I purchased Tri's book The Poker Blueprint after finding it by accident. Originally, I thought this was going to be another rehashed book of old information that promises to teach me all kinds of new things, I was wrong, very wrong.

First off, he talks about things that many authors cover at the end of their books, his concept of learning, some intangibles that don't deal with play as they do about what to look for to make your game profitable, and gets the math part out of the way before he starts with any of the fundamentals.

The rest of the book is laid out in the order you would play a hand from preflop to river play. Each section has sample hands, but he shows why his recommendations are solid, and, more importantly, what happens in many cases if one of the variables changes. The book is not going to have you reading off charts, although there are some in the preflop section, but will teach you to understand and formulate a sound thinking process. I thought of it like this, someone can tell you HOW to play ABC poker, but The Poker blueprint teaches you how to think about what should come after A and come up with your own conclusions, higher limit players already do this, this is just the jumpstart to getting there.

Once I get out of micro-land, I plan on reading The NL Workbook and eventually LTBR, but I feel I need to get down my foundation first, The Poker Blueprint has helped my on that path.

Thanks Tri

TobDog
on August 30, 2013
good info but hand examples are impossible to read on my kindle.now wish I had bought the book.This book is not an easy read but worth the effort.
on August 27, 2012
A lot of poker books focus on poker theory, but not enough (for me, at least) on sound strategy. It's one thing to always say "it depends," but it's another to be a little brave and give some practical advice.

The Poker Blueprint gives you a strategy you can put into practice right away to make you a tougher and profitable player. It outlines a basic, agressive strategy you can then adapt to different kinds of players and tables. You learn the how and then the why.

I put the ideas in this book to work right away and found more respect and profit at the table. I also go back to it when I feel things starting to slide away from me. It's a great book for mastering the fundamentals of hold 'em. Highly recommended.
on August 27, 2012
I've read plenty of books about micro/small stakes poker and this book is perfect for anyone who's starting playing poker or for someone who's struggling on micro stakes. Accurate knowledge, no more no less than you need to know, enough to beat micro stakes, teaches you basic, but effective strategy. It's a foundation for your development as you move through stakes.
on August 27, 2012
I would rate this as one of the top 5 no limit books available today. I paid more than the current price and still think that was a bargain.

I do not necessarily recommend this if it's your first no limit book. The concepts are advanced and are presented in more of a summary format. As a result, it's extremely valuable if you have a solid foundation as it will help you quickly spot weaknesses and identify new opportunities in your current game, but may not provide enough background and depth if you're a newer player.