2,551 Reviews
 (1,835)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 3D quality!!
Published on November 16, 2010 by Copella2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Strictly talking about the "3-D" version....
Published on November 5, 2008 by C. Perez Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 3D quality!!, November 16, 2010
I will admit, 2 years ago I purchased The Polar Express 3D with the red and blue glasses.... it about made me sick when I watched it. The colors made me dizzy and the picture was heavily distorted. This on the other hand was a breath of fresh air! The 3D quality on this blu-ray disc is absolutely superb with minimum "ghosting". One stand out scene in particular is portrayed on the front cover of the Blu-Ray case, the train skating on the ice. The 3D effects are so fantastic here that I had to play it over a few times. Its enough to make you say WOW. Also, the entire North Pole scene is absolutely beautiful especially the zoom outs showing the large Christmas tree and all the kids and elves surrounding it.

I would highly recommend this to anyone with a 3D television! The picture is stunning and the 3D effects are breathtaking! The world of Blu-Ray 3D is growing, and this one definitely stands as one of the top 3D releases so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and True Spirit of Christmas, November 10, 2004
Mark Blackburn (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
I went to see this movie tonight with a mentally handicapped friend - "Michael" -- (from a L'Arche home here in Winnipeg, Canada). We were the first persons in the theatre for the very first evening showing in this city - and we were the last to leave. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - enchanted by the movie's subtleties and happily exhausted by its roller-coaster rides.

Time and again, Michael (who is sensitive, compassionate and with a good sense of humor) turned to me in the darkness, smiling in appreciation at the exact same moments I turned to see his reactions. Each time this happened, it was at a moment in the film when some little detail, perfectly captured through superb 'cinematography,' brought moisture to my normally cynical eye, and a warm smile to Michael's innocent face.

Some examples: There is a lone, black child on this apparent 'dream train' to the North Pole - a girl of about ten or eleven years, and like a painting come to life, the miraculous technology at work in this film captures the particular sensibilities of this compassionate, black youngster --- We see small mannerisms of someone comfortable with herself in a way the other (ten or so) white kids on the train are not. And the effect is profound --- the movie audience, including some children of that same age group, went silent at such moments in the film.

My friend Michael - who has a 'savant' genius for perceiving my emotions, and expressing them for me out loud in public --- Michael turned to me with a delighted smile when the girl on the train reaches out to hold the hands of the poorest boy, sitting alone in the rear compartment; and later, she hugs two other boys, (one of them the central character) --- at their final parting. At that moment I held up a finger to my lips to try to hush Michael, but couldn't prevent him from saying aloud: "She's such a sweetheart." There were murmurs of appreciation in the darkness around us, responding to this innocent sentiment.

There is a sublime moment, on the back platform of the moving train -- the Northern Lights glimmering in the distance -- when the young girl joins in song with the poorest kid on the train (a younger boy from a dilapidated home on the "far side of the tracks"). I admit to being overcome with emotion during this duet (a lovely, strong melody with poignant lyrics) - and I blurted out loud to Michael, after the first chorus: "What a wonderful song!" The refrain includes the words "When Christmas comes to town." [It's a song so good that, with some future 'cover versions' by serious musicians who could do it justice --- this "Christmas Comes to Town" song could, I believe, deservedly join the small list of true, Christmas 'classics.']

I'd have to agree with anyone who thinks this movie is a little short on plot. And yet . . . once you've suspended disbelief -- beginning with an earth-shattering, Christmas-eve arrival of a steam-puffing, passenger train on a small-town Michigan street, directly outside the home of the movie's central character -- once we've swallowed that premise, the movie disarmingly embraces the child in us, (including our fears) and our reservations vanish without our noticing.

Just as great `realistic' painters, (think Rembrandt or Vermeer) worked wonders of light & shadow that no mere photograph could ever capture, so too this computer-animated marvel takes your breath away through an accumulation of tiny but acute observations that could never be captured by conventional cinematography. Prime examples from the opening scenes:

A shaft of light illuminates the boy's bedroom, and he is reflected in a chrome, automobile hubcap leaning against a wall; at once we share his view -- through the keyhole of his bedroom door - we can see only the backs and the dressing gowns of mother and father, as they say goodnight to the boy's young sister, after determining the state of her belief in Santa's existence - a belief no longer shared by the older brother, whose eye is at the keyhole.

Later, on the train, there's an exquisite close up of the boy's face, a slight blemish above the pores on his upper right cheek; the `camera' pans in rotation, capturing perfectly, the texture of the boy's hair, and that of the young black girl sitting beside him -- subtleties of such perfection one wonders if the unique, artistic accomplishment of "Polar Express" could ever be surpassed.

The film's last scene, consists entirely of a close-up view of a small, silver bell (of the type associated with sleigh rides) with its attached 'ribbon' of red leather. The little bell helps make the final point about `Belief' --- in things unseen, (or forgotten, and thus inaccessible to some adults). So simple, so powerful, so enlightening an image. My friend Michael turned to me at that moment, with a radiant smile. And we just shook our heads in awe.

----

Yes, this movie must have SOME shortcomings - one or two moments that don't quite work as intended by the creators. But right now, in the afterglow, I can't recall what they were. The film was just too satisfying an experience!

I'm a 57-year-old grandfather who happens to believe that "The Polar Express" is the first, true Christmas classic in almost 60 years. Not since the original Kris Kringle "Miracle" movie of 1947, has any film (to my jaded eye) so transcended our secular, commercial views of the Holiday Season, with such uplifting and fresh reminders of the timeless and true spirit of Christmas.

Mark Blackburn

Winnipeg Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe..., November 13, 2005
When people go into a movie theatre they expect to be entertained. Audiences want to be scared, amused, curious, sad, and hopefull. Believe it or not, this film provides all of those elements and then some. I've read the comments by people who gave passed this film on as either "too scary to children" or "just plain boring with no plot" And I agree with several people who have responded to such comments.

This film isn't going to give you instant gratification halfway through. If you don't have two hours to spare then you aren't going to understand what this movie is about. Sure the plot was invisible at times, but I don't think the point of the movie was to have the audience follow a plot. The point was to reveal or in some cases remind people of the simplistic faith or child like view we once had in our lives.

Think of the characters themselves and what they represent. Hero Boy reminds us of people who are caught in between faith and doubt. Do we trust what we cannot see? Who is to say? Hero Girl shows the stronger side of faith and believing in what is not readily seen to the human eye. Childlke faith personified into a little girl. Lonely Boy represent those who doubt because they haven't truly experienced the joys of life or have had tragedies happen to them from an early age so they learn to only trust themselves, but that ends up leaving them...lonely. Then are those who are the Know-It-All character who claim to take everything at face value (much like the critics and cynics of this film). They want to know it all because what they don't know scares them.

I'm 21 years old and I haven't had nearly enough experiences in life, but I can say that I had been so busy growing up that I had forgotten that there was a part of me that was once simple, happy and appreciated the joys of just believing that things were true. That is until life makes you grow up and tries to distort your beliefs (much like HoboMan in this film).

When I first saw this movie my eyes widened with every new frame. It was the first time since my childhood that I can remember sitting in the audience with my mouth open and my eyes stretched out as far as they can be. I was stunned, by the artistry and complexity of the story. I was a kid again for two hours. It was like an old friend who I hadn't seen in a long time came back to visit. It was an amazing film.

It's a train ride, a leap of faith, a test of the human spirit. It's a ride and like the movie says: "It's not about where the train takes you, what matters is that you get on." THAT, my friend, is what this movie is about. Not being entertained by slapstick humor or satirical sarcasm, but remembering that part of you that resembles the kids in the movie. Believe.

Bravo on a fantastic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Bluray 3D To A New Level!, November 17, 2010
This movie was superb in many ways. The story is excellent and the movies great for children and adults of all ages to remember the innocence of youth and recognize the milestones we have all passed growing up. But now on to the real essence of this review: the 3D quality.

The 3D is VERY GOOD...in fact it's great on so many levels. The colors are vibrant and vivid and not washed out like many have complained happens when watching movies in 3D from dark glasses. Also, the picture quality was top notch in HD even while wearing glasses. The surround sound effects and audio couldn't be any more realistic and complementative of the video. The 3D was spectacular guys. Many scenes had things popping right out at you (which i love) and the depth was deep and realistic. I actually felt like I was in the movie. I have an 82 inch 3DTV so that helps but a crappy 3D movie is a crappy 3D movie no matter what screen you watch it on and crappy this was not. The 3D on this film will make any television pop and sizzle and truly brings out the power of your new 3DTV to your family and friends.

Overall watch The Polar Express is a wonderful holiday experience anyone should have the opportunity to enjoy and if you're looking for a good 3D movie then this is a must buy as you will not be dissapointed. Furthermore I experienced no ghosting at all while watching but that could be due to my televisions technology compared to plasma, LED, and LCD. Pick up a copy for yourself. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DECIDING TO GET ON THE TRAIN..., December 20, 2004
I had mixed emotions about the prospects of this movie.

I love the book. I never like seeing a book be made into a movie--even when the movies are well done.

Add into the mix my general liking of Forest Gump and CastAway, the two previous Hanks/Zemeckis films (I feel CastAway is the far superior film if anyone's interested).

Temper that general feeling of goodwill with the fact that Tom Hanks's last piece of GREAT acting (in my opinion) was in Joe vs the Volcano (Meg Ryan's as well)--and that CastAway was Zemeckis's last good film.

These ingredients, as well as knowing that this film was to be a guinea pig for a new kind of animation, left me feeling unsettled at best about going to see The Polar Express.

Yet...

This movie blew me away.

Say what you want about The Passion of the Christ or Fahrenheit 911 (both are great movies in the movie-making sense and should be nominated for all kinds of awards) but this is my movie of the year. It is also the best Christmas movie in quite a while.

The movie version of The Polar Express has a whole lot to see. This is serious eye-candy. That said, the movie stays incredibly faithful to the heart of the book.

The book and the movie are all about the wonder and joy of belief.

I could go on and on about the great job Tom Hanks does, about the awesome animation, but I won't. For as gilded and bedecked with ornaments as this movie is, it all gets stripped down to the ringing of a silver bell.

The sound of belief.

Faith is the evidence of things not yet seen.

This movie is a wonderful hymn to that evidence. An evidence readily found in all hearts brave enough to believe.

I give the Polar Express my highest recommendation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strictly talking about the "3-D" version...., November 5, 2008
My fiance and I both loved this movie when it was released and we still do. When we heard it was coming out on Blu Ray and on top of that 3-D we were beyond excited. Well that excitment was crushed when we got home, put it on and were almost given instant headaches from the old school red and blue 3-d glasses and the fact that no matter how hard we tried to see it, it just was nowhere near 3-d quality. We sat there contemplating whether or not it was just us or if the 3-d aspect of it sucked that bad and we came to the conclusion that it was definately the latter. So after a half hour of trying hard to like it we switched it to 2-d (thank god for blu ray for having that option) and saw how in 1080p it was almost 3-d itself.
Needless to say the very next day I went back to the store I purchased it from and changed it for the regular blu ray version (which was $5 cheaper than the 3-d version and totally worth the purchase, 5 stars for that version.) It was very sad that it did not work out because such an amazing holiday movie with such great animation would be a no brainer to have as 3-d but unfortunately it just is not worth the headache and strain.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS TOLTALLY ROCKS!!!!, February 15, 2005
A Kid's Review
I loved this film,every second!! from the Part when he wakes up at 11:55 at night to find a magnificent train that goes to the north pole.I am 10 years old and this was the perfect movie for me!!I love trains and know 98% about them.at the first scene of the movie I was a little disappointed because I thought it was going to be Real-life,but after five minutes or so I got used to it.The only part that was a little creepy was the part that the puppets jumped out at him.The sounds were Magnificant and the train went through obsticals that real trains could'nt. Tom Hanks did the voice of the hobo and the conductor.he was perfect with the voice and the expressions. I loved this so much that I am too aggrivated if I ask my mom if the movie is out and she says ''no''.the movie did not have any violence or inaproppriot stuff.no stuff that might freak the pants off of kids.The Girl said that the train the train was a magic train.acually it was a Baldwin 2-8-4 S3 cass Birkshere type steam locomotive.built by the baldwin locomotive works and weighs 436,100 pounds and has a top speed of,well there.This toltaly rocks but I love the part when the Observation car uncouples off the res of the train,rolls down the wrong switch direction and goes down middle-of-the-road tracks and stops on a turntable.Over all,THIS TOLTALLY ROCKS!!!! -Alek Salka

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Holiday Classic, December 17, 2006
It seems like every time I let controversy over a movie keep me from seeing it in the theater that I regret it. Such was the case with this movie. I heard a lot of criticism over this movie and I let it keep me from seeing it in the theater. How dumb was I? This movie is a lot of fun and a feast for your eyes. Modern film makers make few enough of these films, and this one is a winner.

We meet a boy who is at that age where he begins to realize that the world appears not to have as many mysteries as he believed it did when he was little. One of those mysteries is Santa Claus. He truly wants to believe, but the evidence he has gathered tells him that there is no Santa Claus.

As he falls asleep on Christmas Eve he hears a most unlikely sound: a train pulled by a steam engine outside his house. He quickly runs outside to see a very real train making all sorts of hissing and ticking noises. Then he sees and hears a conductor yelling "All aboard!" The boy does not get on the train in spite of the conductor's best efforts to convince him to board. As the train pulls away the boy changes his mind and barely makes it aboard for a journey to the North Pole!

We soon meet several characters who will be keys to the plot of the movie throughout. Tom Hanks plays no less than five characters: the boy's father, the conductor, the boy himself, Santa Claus, and a hobo ghost. I could tell it was Hanks easily enough with three of the characters, but the other two did not sound like Hanks at all, though I watched an interview with Hanks and I can tell you that it definitely was Hanks.

This movie is filled with subtleties and a lot of fun. I would rather allow you to watch the movie and discover the treats for yourself. To tantalize you a little, the train does get to the North Pole, but only after running out of control and nearly sinking under water. Even after the train gets to the North Pole our heroes end up taking a detour on one of the train cars, ending up somewhere in the heart of an operations center. Even though I knew this movie was animated, the scene where three children cross a trestle over what appears to be a nearly bottomless pit was a bit tense.

This movie is a visual treat throughout, but the visual effects from the point the train appears are spectacular. The train is extremely detailed as are the animals, plants and people. The animation is unusual when compared with animation we have seen in the past because of the type of computer animation used. However, the results are phenomenal. While the animation did distract me a lot sometimes, after having watched this movie umpteen times (for those who like this message, this movie can be addictive) I can tell you that I keep coming back for the message and not the graphics.

This movie was nominated for a bunch of awards, including three Oscars, but it only won four. I found it interesting that this movie won a Grammy Award for Best Song for a Motion Picture, and yet the Oscar people failed to recognize this movie for any sound awards, though the Oscar people nominated it for several sound awards.

I believe that for many people the "Polar Express" will be a holiday favorite and tradition along with the Rankin/Bass classics, "It's a Wonderful Life," and "A Christmas Story." If you have yet to see this one and you enjoy holiday stories, definitely give this one a try with an open mind and an open heart.

Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D version Ghost images will Disappoint, November 5, 2008
slowhand_fan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I was really looking forward to the 3D version of Polar Express, but am very disappointed with the quality of the 3D. This version has very little of the color of the original HD or Blu-Ray versions, and the double or ghost images of the 3D effect are very noticeable and distracting. The 3D effect is quite nice in some scenes but the quality of the 3D images themselves is very inferior to theatrical 3D releases.

In short, I'll keep this one for the novelty of some of the 3D scenes, but I wouldn't recommend it over the regular HD or Blu-Ray version.

1.0 out of 5 stars willie wonka meets Christmas... weird., December 25, 2012
This movie is just plain weird. It's literally the kind of movie you'll watch as a kid, grow up and look back 20 years later and say, "man, what was that one creepy Christmas movie i saw as a kid????" There are no comforting Christmas elements in this movie. Although it starts out with an interesting premise, it is strange that the train guy doesn't know the first thing about babysitting kids. Why would Santa hire this guy to pick up children???? And the near death experiences riding on the train, once again, begs the question, what is wrong with Santa endangering the lives of children? The dancing waiters, creepy. The elves, creepy. The fact that they wore red instead of the traditional green---creepy. The way they talk, and express themselves "do you trust me?", the crazy industrialized north pole, just none of it seems Christmas-y to me. Mind you , there's no Mrs. Santa Clause either, and what was Steve Tyler doing as a singing elf??? Just plain dumb.

The only good thing was the whole concept of the bell, which could have been developed throughout the movie, pressing on the theme of belief, but seriously, if i were that kid, i would rather not believe.

The Polar Express [Blu-ray]
The Polar Express [Blu-ray] by Robert Zemeckis (Blu-ray - 2007)
$24.98 $9.96