Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Polar Express (Widescreen Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 28, 2013
We love this one for the holidays and occasionally around the year. Great music too. The computerized animation takes a little getting used to but is fine once you do.
on December 26, 2014
Our 2 year old watched it for the first time last Christmas and LOVED it. Around Oct of this year, he was already asking to watch it again. As Christmas neared, we printed out a "golden ticket" for him for a "ride" on the Polar Express. In other words, a family movie night. The songs captivated our 3 year old. The story line was mesmerizing. And the magic was real. The Polar Express - a definite winner.
on December 4, 2011
Are you looking for a holiday movie that is uplifting? Strap your seats in and enjoy this ride to self-discovery for several children in this fantasy.

No film is perfect. One problem with this one is that the story is not feature film length. So there are a lot of exciting scenes of the train/children on roller coaster tracks that are enjoyable and breath-taking but do not contribute to the story. By the end, it seemed a little too much. But not enough to take away from the story.

Tom Hanks is excellent in the several roles he takes during the movie. The special effects live up to their name. And I like it when special effects are a thing of beauty as they are here, as opposed to being used for ugliness as they are in horror movies.

I will always say this. I don't believe children should watch movies or TV without the accompaniment of their parents, regardless of the rating. This allows the parents to be in the habit of knowing what their children are watching and provide opportunities to take advantage of teachable moments. But this is definitely family fare.

Let me close with comments from my particular world-view, which is Christian. One plus side is that it shows belief as an important source of joy in a person's life, as any Christian can testify. Two dangers. 1) Is the emphasis having faith rather than the object of faith? 2) Is faith seen as independent of reality/reason? There are other things that might make some Christians uncomfortable -- it almost seems Santa's being worshipped by the elves.

The caveats I mention should not keep you from enjoying this excellent fantasy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2006
breathtaking. there is no other word for it. this movie was NOT boring or predictable as someone stated earlier. the animation was just beyond words and my whole family had fun trying to figure out which characters were played by tom hanks. and as to the comment that it might frighten young children, this movie is less scary than disney's incredibles (also a great movie) this movie had everyone on the edge of their seats. it was so well written and the music was fabulous. i intend on getting the soundtrack if they offer it. if you like behind the scenes bits, get the two disc set. its it worth it. it shows you just how they make the animation so real looking.
on December 11, 2015
This smells divine! I bought for my husband for Christmas so don't yet know what he thinks, but if it works half as well as it smells, this is the ticket for shaving.
on August 22, 2015
This is a sweet tale for the Christmas season. Nothing spectacular about the story but a nice film technique. Another DVD for the family to enjoy at Christmas time.
on November 25, 2005
I'm not even done watching this movie and I absolutely love it. This movie is all about that meloncholy time in a child's life where they fall into the chasm between innocent childhood and cynical "growing up" and the beauty of finding out it's still possible to believe in magic. As Santa says in the end... "The true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart".

Even though this movie is about Christmas, it is not a singularly religious film (a well-placed Jewish elf makes that clear) and it's not sappy, sweet, stuff ...I love the "angel" train hobo, the mafia-esque video-monitoring elves and the "blue-collar" style elves in charge of the presents.

Ohh, this is just a beautiful story turned into a beautiful film and a new classic in our family from this point on. I cried at the end and was just so grateful that my kids can grow up knowing the true spirit of Christmas, which this movie helps teach.
on January 11, 2010
It's a good movie, good story. My boy likes it...well, he likes the train. My only surprise was to see that Tom Hanks DIDN'T play the part of all the children too.
on December 20, 2012
Our granddaughters have watched this DVD since they were little. It has become a Christmas tradition for our family. We have an annual "Polar Express Sleep-over" complete with hot chocolate (with as much whipped cream as you can pile into a mug) cookies and whatever else they can think of.
on December 21, 2014
I JUST BUY HIS MOVIE AND IT DOENSNT WORK THE 3D EFFECT... IS AN UGGLY VIEW WITH A RED SHADOS AROUND THE PEOPLE.. I WANT TO NOW HOW CAN RETURNE AND GET A GOOD ONE .