4.0 out of 5 stars The Master of all Existentialism.
Published on March 29, 2000 by Roland Martinez

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as well edited as it could be
I love Emerson. For my money, he's one of the most insightful thinkers and beautiful stylists this country has produced. He deserves better than he's received from "professional" philosophers who tend to dismiss him as "just" a person of letters (as if that were a shameful thing to be!).
But this collection of Emersonia is seriously flawed. It...
Published on March 1, 2002 by Kerry Walters

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as well edited as it could be, March 1, 2002
Kerry Walters (Lewisburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
But this collection of Emersonia is seriously flawed. It prints the essays in Emerson's first collection, but only two from his second. It omits some of his best poems (including "The Sphinx," which Emerson himself so valued that he always had it printed at the very beginning of all the books of poems he published during his lifetime), as well as all of the later essays. In their place, the editors choose to print Emerson's "English Traits," a pleasant enough travel book but rather fluffy compared to the rest of his works. As the editors admit in their Introduction (itself a rather disappointing effort), they tend to feel uncomfortable with Emerson's work on mysticism, and so they decided to leave out of their anthology huge chunks of it. But since Emerson is first and foremost a mystical writer, this is to seriously misrepresent him.
In short, read Emerson--but find a better one-volume collection of his work than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Master of all Existentialism., March 29, 2000
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
Emerson is one of the greats, there is no doubt about that. The reason that I only gave this book four stars is that this book includes some of the worst of Emerson. His essays on Self Reliance and on Faith in America are timeless classics; however his essay on for example, English traits, was very dry. I do recommend it, but keep in mind that unless you really, really dig Emmerson you may not like over half of this volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emerson, the Great Sage, November 22, 2007
Wanderer (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
Note: Your "helpful" votes are appreciated. Thanks. A couple Mormon readers have given me negative marks because of my reviews of books in defense of the Book of Mormon. Oh, well, I write my reviews for fun and as a little hobby.

Most educated people are familiar with Emerson's epigrams of wisdom, but there is a whole world to explore in his essays and poems. "The Portable Emerson" gives the reader an excellent overview of Emerson's major works.

Emerson's comments in the "American Scholar" about his own time place our age in perspective:

"Our age is bewailed as the age of introversion. Must that needs be evil. We, it seems, are critical; we are embarrassed with second thoughts; we cannot enjoy any thing for hankering to know whereof the pleasure consists; we are lined with eyes; we see with our feet; the time is infected with Hamlet's unhappiness,--
'Sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought.'"

I hope you find something you like in my little review. Here is part of "The Problem," a poem:

I like a church; I like a cowl; (cowl: a monk's hooded cloak)
I love a prophet of the soul;
And on my heart monastic aisles
Fall like sweet strains, or pensive smiles;
Yet not for all his faith can see
Would I that cowled churchman be.

A poem: "The Rhodora: On Being Asked, Whence Is The Flower?"

"Tell them, dear, that if eyes were made for seeing,
Then Beauty is its own excuse for being."

"Merlin," a poem:

"But mount to paradise
By the stairway of surprise."

And always remember the "Concord Hymn" (sung on July 4, 1837 at the dedication of the monument at Concord). Today near the bridge, there are some British flags to mark the graves of two of the King's soldiers. There are some neat unidentified lines that might have come from Emerson.

"Here lie two British soldiers who sailed three thousand miles across the ocean to keep the past upon the throne."

"By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man of Great Intellect and Heart, February 25, 2008
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
After scanning through and thinking about the works of Marcus Aurilius, another philosopher came to mind, the 19th century lecturer, essayist and Trancendentalist, R.W. Emerson. There are certainly connections between these two great thinkers', however the space provided here is limited and therefore would be a disservice. This particular edition of The Portable Emerson is full of gems, including essays on "The American Scholar", "History" and my particular favourite, excerpts from his journals a letters.

Emerson was a prolific journal writer, where can be found the seeds to his insight into life and the plight of the human being.

Many years ago I read, Emerson: The Mind on Fire (Centennial Books) by Robert D. Richardson JR., a true masterpiece in the genre of biography and a labour of love. It is in this bioraphy one can capture Emerson's mind and great heart. (More than likely my favourite biography of all time.)

This volume, (A Portable Emerson) is filled with essays, poems and lectures that reveals a man who incessantly sought the truth, and attempted and succeeded through his many lectures across the eastern American coast.

Evidently he was a persuasive lecturer motivating thousands of Americans -which is a true gift.

One of my favourite quotes from this volume:

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."

A man who loved the world and contributed to its betterment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring classic, February 3, 2014
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
Ralph Waldo Emerson is an iconic figure in American history. Now that I have grown older, I am able to appreciate him more and more. His essays, in particular are extremely inspiring and well written, and the philosophy resonated with me. I read all and enjoyed all the speeches in the collection, but many modern readers probably will not be as interested; the essays should be read first. (Though the eulogy for Thoreau is well worth reading by anybody who has read Thoreau.) The poems...well, they are out of date, in my opinion.. The collection itself is a classic; Malcolm Cowley, who compiled the anthology, was a major literary figure himself in the early 20th Century. (PS: I would have rated it far more than stars, if I could.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Philosopher, Poet, Psychologist, April 20, 2013
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
This version of the Portable Emerson, as edited by Carl Bode (there are a couple of editions), provides the reader with an excellent cross-section of Emerson's works. Containing nearly 700 pages, the book will introduce you to Emerson-the man and the philosophical thinker. One of the fathers of Transcendentalism, his views of society and nature are as valid toay as they were 175 years ago. His insights into some of the great men of history (Plato and Napoleon are included in this volume) as well as the English people have a wit and wisdom that is characteristic of his writings. The philosophies brought forth in essays such as "Nature", "Transcendentalist" and "Spiritual Laws" provide great insights into Emerson's world view. His poetry and letters, contained at the end of the volume, introduce the reader more fully to the politics and creative mind of this unique American mind. A good introduction to Emerson.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Portable Emerson, January 30, 2013
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
If you love Emerson, you will love this paperback of his memorable works. Easy to carry and a wonderful book to carry while traveling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Emerson, May 7, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
Emerson's writings are eaily and clearly displayed in this wonderful publication. My thirst for poetry was easily quenched with his powerful and meaningful words. I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to read thoughtful and discriptive literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars JOY!, March 23, 2001
This review is from: The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) (Paperback)
Every Emerson volume is 'a good read'. Unlike some other readers, I love English Traits, maybe because I am English. Emerson is a joy, everyone should read him, at least once.

The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library)
The Portable Emerson (Viking Portable Library) by Ralph Waldo Emerson (Paperback - August 27, 1981)
$20.00 $13.88