4.0 out of 5 stars Agonizingly brief, September 13, 2008
Babytoxie (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Portable Frank (Paperback)
I had to laugh upon reading the product description for Jim Woodring's THE PORTABLE FRANK, as that one paragraph provides more detail on Frank and his world than I've been able to glean from almost 15 years of reading these stories. This book collects 14 of Woodring's black and white tales featuring his anthropomorphic whatsit under one compact cover. They are wordless, meandering, and hallucinatory, and the stories depend as much on the reader's attention as on Woodring's considerable skill as a storyteller to make them work. Don't get me wrong - this book is full of great stories, but some of them require effort, so while you may think that a story without words would require a couple of minutes at best, they can all benefit from slow, multiple reads, taking time to soak in the atmosphere and detail. Woodring's art incorporates elements of Disney, Dali, and Hinduism, blending it into a distinctive whole. He certainly stands out among the field of today's comic artists.

So, this is an excellent introduction for anyone to Frank. The only drawback is that it doesn't include more pages. Hopefully, a collection of the color stories is around the corner...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, June 4, 2011
This review is from: The Portable Frank (Paperback)
This is a really great collection. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something out of the norm. Frank will blow your mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars fan of Frank, June 29, 2010
This review is from: The Portable Frank (Paperback)
I picked up a Frank book at the library one day and was sucked into it's other worldy, seemingly drug induced, bizarre, and beautiful world. I couldn't imagine the kind of person who would (and could) draw such a thing. I've never seen anything like it.. and still haven't. Mad talent is ALL over the pages. The best description I've seen is "surreal and often nightmarish quality"

Years later, this book still comes to mind. Like remembering the time you saw an alien. Like crazy eye candy. So I decided I wanted a copy for my own shelves. Each frame has so many layers and movement. Many times I can't quite figure out what's going on, but that's okay. It entertains my mind, and I love looking at all the detail and the parts I might have missed before.

Frank is fun and lovely. The demon guy and his perpetual smile scares me. Man-pig is a sad, pathetic character (I love the one story where he smiles). Frank's angry "cat" reminds me of my own.

I picked this particular Frank book because even though it wasn't color, it's pretty big, and for a good price. If I only own one Frank book, this was a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jolly Good Nightmare of Revenge and Redemption, August 18, 2014
This review is from: The Portable Frank (Paperback)
This book, while enveloping the reader in a near-total pictorial silence, will surely tickle the back of the reader's brain stem with the hint of forbidden imaginings and new spins on old myths, ferrying the reader from contempt to compassion, and all in the guise of a funny-animal cartoon Surrealism. It's a masterpiece!

The Portable Frank
The Portable Frank by Jim Woodring (Paperback - September 17, 2008)
$16.99 $14.63