5.0 out of 5 stars MIND YOUR POSTURE !
For those of us who are interested in Meditation we have to face the difficult problem of Queting the Mind, which of course brings up the question who is Queting who or what.
Published on June 9, 2000 by Örn Leifsson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for
So this book, being wirtten by a rolfer and all, I expected it to go a little more indepth and anatomical on the subject, visualisations for correcting posture, drawings of different postures and how to cope with them... definitely something more that what I found in this book.

Published on January 10, 2010 by Mad_ona_trip

5.0 out of 5 stars MIND YOUR POSTURE !, June 9, 2000
Örn Leifsson (Reykjavik Iceland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
But we also face the problem of our bodies, it is difficult to stay in a meditative posture for a long period of time, Yoga execices will help of course and I found this book to be very usefull also. You get good information about the body, how to Relax it and use it right without straining, how to ease into the posture you're using and how to breathe correctly, when you finaly get it right it has a feeling of lightness and naturalness to it, it feels RIGHT.
It doesn't matter what kind of Meditation tradition you come from or what type of posture you're using this book will help you.
It realy is extraordinary how much the mind can change how you feel in you body and how just the right information can have such a dramatic change, So Your body is all in your Mind.
This book has information which I have not found in any Yoga books so far, Highly Recomended.
See also Rodney Yee, Yoga Journals Practise for Meditation, a good video to get you body in shape for the Lotus Posture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, October 16, 2006
M. James (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
Having spent some years meditating, I have never received any good advice on my posture. I struggled with every conceivable problem and learned much by trial and error. If only I had discovered this book in the beginning.

The author teaches how to adopt a proper posture in meditation. He also goes in some depth about the relationship between physical posture and mental clarity, which is certainly something experienced meditators can attest to. The author goes through the fundamental principles of a meditative posture: alignment, relaxation, and resilience. The author then explains through simple exercises how to create such a posture and release one's inner tension. The exercises are very well thought out and may be familiar to students of vipassana or meditative yoga.

I would certainly reccomend this book to anyone who is starting meditation, and to anyone who cannot sit comfortably for an entire hour. The author's tips are simple, practical, and well-grounded. Following the advice in this book can only advance one's meditation, no matter the tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Book Connecting the Body and Mind in Meditation, April 10, 2012
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
I teach meditation and have meditated for 25 years, but I still found some new perspectives and exercises in here that I think are very valuable. It's a short book, focusing on three components of any meditation posture - relaxation, alignment, and resilience. It connects each of these to states of mind, for example, exploring the parts of our body that tense when our mind is busy, and the ways correct alignment aids a natural relaxation. The premise is really that by working with these three aspects, one will discover a natural state where all 3 are balanced, and in this state, the mind is also balanced. He also discusses phases of meditation, and how as new things surface during our meditations we will see a reaction in our body. He offers several exercises for working with these themes.

The book does not give detailed guidance on specific meditation postures from different traditions, i.e. lotus vs. zazen, etc., or guidance on meditation techniques. Instead, it is really focused on ways to discover these three components of relaxation, alignment and resilience in any meditation posture, and on how to use this in tandem with working with the mind. The book also does not put forth a particular spiritual perspective, although I would say it is more Buddhist in its perspective than any other tradition. So for beginning meditaters, this is really a book to be used along with formal meditation instruction or another book on the subject. But it is a book that I think anyone meditating within any tradition will find something to appreciate and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Posture of Meditation review, March 26, 2011
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
This book is a gem! It helped me immensely to persevere in beginning sitting practice by describing lucidly and in detail how to work with the physical sensations that a beginner may face and that are ignored in most discussions focusing only on quieting the mind. It gave me a framework and an understanding of how one's body adapts to sitting over time and what changes may occur as the body adjusts. I highly recommend this small volume; it's well worth its low price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, January 10, 2010
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)

Although there is valuable information here in this book, if you took out everything that dosent relate to posture (which is similar to other books that offer spiritual meditative common sense), the book becomes tiny, the book is already quite small in size and has 100 pages only.

I like the book, but I was expecting more speciality information.

A good read though. I connect with what he says but its not what I thought I was paying for.

Reading this book was not a waste of time though.

5.0 out of 5 stars An antidote for frustrated meditation, February 28, 2012
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
For years, I have recommended this book to both beginning and advanced meditators.

This text helps one learn to meditate more easily and effectively by reconceptualizing meditation as more an embodied gesture and less a mental effort. The author points out that when we place ourselves in an upright, relaxed and balanced posture, aligned with gravity, the mind naturally opens up and quiets down. This approach to meditation is a wonderful antidote to the pervasive tendency to "try to meditate" that so many people find to be frustrating and self-defeating.

The book is very short and quick to read. There is hardly anything to it. I see it not so much as a "manual" as the subtitle says, but more as an empowering "attitude adjuster" and "reorienter". It makes a good supplement to other how-to resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare and brilliant book, January 31, 2013
What a rare and brilliant book this is. Will Johnson must have been born to write this. Every word is authentic, and given the narrow topic choice, a lot of depth is required and easily achieved by the author. I would have read at least 30 books on spiritual development and personal development in the last 12 months and this book is the easy stand out. I don't normally write reviews but decided to make an exception here. Very insightful. A must read. Well done Will!

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed Help, November 5, 2011
This review is from: The Posture of Meditation (Paperback)
The Posture of Meditation was recommended by a long time friend. The book has been everything and more that he told us it would be.
Very glad we got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 3, 2014
Buy this one. Very practical. Very detailed and extremely focused.I found it corrected some errors I had accumulated,in technique and in my belief system.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ FOR MEDITATORS OF ALL METHODS!!!!, January 31, 2014
Whether you're meditating for decades or you have just begun a sitting practice, Wil Johnson provides an invaluable mini gem of his seemingly boundless wisdom.
The physical, energetic and mental foundations of why we even have a meditation practice to begin with are laid out so thoughtfully in this practical yet insightful guide. There's no doubt that Mr. Johnson has a firm, yet open grasp on human anatomy and how it relates to gravity, as well as an obvious intimacy with the practice of meditation.
What the reader gets here is a dose of practicality coupled with a generous offering of insight.
There is enough in this very short volume to refer back to for the life of your sitting practice….. However, it would be nice if it were longer.

Frank Mauro,
New York City

The Posture of Meditation
The Posture of Meditation by Will Johnson (Paperback - October 22, 1996)
$15.95 $12.92