Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 29, 2008
What you don't say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion. As interesting as it is to learn to read others, it is also important to learn your own particular non verbal quirks: i.e.: Tonya's book teaches that although the reader may not be aware of it, people receive messages through body language (nonverbal signals) that can have a huge impact in a positive or negative way, just as the sound of your voice may make more of an impact (positively or negatively) than your actual words.

She teaches the reader to watch for body language signals may indicate truths that are not expressed in words. She also teaches the nuances and psychology of mirroring body language. The book clarifies the meanings of signals and nonverbal cues and shows the reader how to use this knowledge to his/her best advantage in every day situations, including the differences in male and female body language.

After reading this book, I found that watching political speeches more interesting, especially when the body language and spoken words do not match.

I would recommend this book to everyone.
0Comment54 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2007
Tonya Reiman's The Power of Body Language provides insight into the 93% of communication we usually take for granted. Citing both real world examples and scientific research, Reiman breaks down the microseconds of a situation in order to heighten our awareness of how we present ourselves as well as how others' words may not fully portray their thoughts.

As a Marketing Communication student, I am fascinated with how communication occurs. Within our business culture, it is vitally important that we present ourselves in a professional manner. Reiman's book is very practical, down-to-earth and applicable, providing suggestions regarding how to be seen as more confident and authoritative in the business setting, as well as open and more attractive to the opposite sex. Although body language can be highly situational and not always taken at face value, it offers some food for thought and suggestions we can start using immediately.
11 comment77 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2008
The Power of Body Language was an interesting read for the most part and I found some tips that I utilized right away. Since I am in sales, every insight to what a prospective customer might be thinking is always helpful.
Trying to read someone's body language is an inexact science at best, but this book offers some tips that make it worth the investment.
on April 21, 2010
I had heard of Tonya Reiman because of the body language analysis she does on Foxnews but really didn't know what to expect from her book, The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter. I was totally blown away by how much I enjoyed this book and how much information was presented. By all measures this is an excellent introduction to the basics of reading, interpreting and understanding body language and nonverbal communication. It was an easy read, enjoyable and presented the concepts in a logical order.

Most people, myself included, want to learn a little about body language so we can communicate with others better, detect a lie or two and better communicate in our relationships. Tonya did an excellent job of covering these points in chapter 7, "Reading their Secret signals." For most situations the knowledge presented in these chapters would more than suffice in helping you read their body language signals.

Want to know more about body language for business? This book delivers. The information on making a good first impression was top notch and spoke directly to the issue. I learned a few things and trust me, many people can find a thing or two they can put into practice to improve the impressions and impact they make on others. Aside from the nonverbal advice for making a first impression she covered how to easily establish rapport using the "Reiman Rapport Method". A rapport building model that is both simple and effective.

Looking for body language tips on improving your relationship or having more luck with the opposite sex? She's got this covered as well in the back pages of the book.

I often have friends ask for a great book to learn body language basics and this is now the one I recommend.
on March 2, 2008
I am fascinated with this and try to read as many books as I can on this subject. Tonya says many of the same things I have read in other books, but she includes a lot of additional personal insight and information that makes the book very readable and useful. She approaches the subject from different directions which provide the reader with an interesting read. I have not finished the book yet, but am enjoying it and would recommend it to others.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2008
Reiman's book will be a big hit for anyone involved in sales, education, retail, travel, politics, sports, management and LIFE!

Though so much of what she teaches may seem obvious, so much more is not. She explains not only what certain gestures and expressions may mean, but why they could be interpeted that way.

One interesting chapter discusses our personal space. What makes this so informative is she gives us specific distances for specific circumstances and different sexes.

The Power of Body Language is full of example illustrations and photos.
on January 15, 2008
Found myself on the road bored to death when I decided to do something I haven't done in many many years...purchase a book.

Since I conduct seminars I was searching the local bookstore for topics that included public speaking, body language, etc. Having seen Tonya on the networks I purchased the book not knowing what to expect. Well, needless to say I had finished the book in 4 hrs flat!! I couldn't put it down. Great information. Since purchasing in early Dec. I have seen my evaluations in the seminars go from good to absolutely outstanding!
on February 23, 2009
This is a fascinating and well written book. Anyone interested in body language will find their money well spent. The book is easy to understand and very informative. I used some of her suggestions and immediately increased my sales.
on February 28, 2009
Excellent book! have always loved Tonya on Bill O'Reilly's show and her book did not disappoint. I would recommend to anyone interested in improving their own body language, public speaking, or love life!

mjs in NC
on February 26, 2008
I am enjoying reading this book and i'm learning a lot about reading others people's body language and also learing about my own body language, and how to change my body language so i send more postive and open signs