5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book
i just finished reading this book. I really got a lot out of this book and wish i had found it 10 years ago. I am 40 years old and got quite a little confidence boost after using the exercises spelled out in this book. Its actually amazing what a little instruction and practice can so for someone.

Strangely enough, this book helped move me past something I have...
Published on November 9, 2010 by Adam Hunt

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much info on eye gazing parties not enough on reality
I started reading this really wanting to know how to use eye contact. And I came with a very open mind, desperately wanting to learn something new. I have always struggled maintaining eye contact with bosses and beautiful women. I was looking for a book that would give me some advice to help me in that regard.

At page 50, after using the Cliche term everyone...
Published on March 1, 2012 by Max Power

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book, November 9, 2010

Strangely enough, this book helped move me past something I have struggled with for years- keeping eye contact during an individual conversations.

Buy it, read it. Its the best book in the marketplace with this focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book. Eye Contact = Truth, June 11, 2010
After reading this book, I learned so much and was so impressed, I hunted Mr. Ellsberg down and attended an incredible eye gazing workshop with him. Find him and read this book. The material seems so simple, but it is extremely confronting and enlightening. Just to look into someone's eyes like that opened up a new channel of communication for me. I never realized how much I used to avoid eye contact, probably out of fear. Now I use it with my family, my friends and even during business meetings. It opened up a door into the subconscious, and a door to the truth behind every pair of eyes I meet. This book is full of incredible in-sights. Read it. ~ Hitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much info on eye gazing parties not enough on reality, March 1, 2012

At page 50, after using the Cliche term everyone has heard that the eyes are the windows of the soul, the author is still talking about eye gazing parties, I mean give me a break, I want to know how to use eye contact in actual social situations to get what I want pure and simple.. for business and for sex.

Eye contact in a controlled situation (gazing parties) where everyone is forced to do it, is not reality, and is not the true power of eye contact, or a realistic expectation of how to use it.. ever. The true power of eye contact is making a million dollar deal with an introverted titan in a parking lot or scoring the babe of your dreams in a grocery store. Or face-reading when you're being lied to by a salesman. Or even to connect with your wife when you're copulating. Or how to use it while giving a speech to 400 people. And at page 50 if the author hasn't even touched on a real world example; I basically saw him as being a yuppie Casanova living in a fantasy world with no concrete experience or advice. It was written sloppily, like a magazine article in cosmo that doesn't end with no real direction. Look at the photo of the author and you'll get a good idea of what you'll find inside.

I am horrible at eye contact. I know for a fact there is a lot about it that I don't know. I know for a fact there are books out there that cover practical uses of eye contact because I own some of them, because I had to purchase more books on the subject after this one. It would not have been hard to teach me something new about eye contact. I gave Body Language For Dummies 5stars to give you an idea, that simple book changed my life.

The Definitive Book of Body Language was much better and much more useful in almost any situation imaginable.. unless you plan on going to an eye gazing party sometime soon. Its short chapter on eye contact has more concrete, real world examples on how eye contact effects relationships, and it then you get the bonus content of how to position your arms, legs, head, hands, and feet and ties it all in together with simple and useful illustration. I liked it better than Body Language for Dummies too by the way in case you were curious.

3.0 out of 5 stars A++ for innovation but C- on brevity, September 9, 2011
After devouring books on body language, I thought this book would help me add more to my confidence. And in some ways, it does.

In chapter 1, the author was too long-winded with his explanation about the importance of eye contact. It's too wordy for me. He writes like he's writing for National Geographic. This would have been more of a hit had he injected fun and humor in his writing style since in the first place, the people who buy these kinds of books are the very ones who need more fun in their lives. And all that talk about his fiancee, the lovely Miss Jenna/Jenny/Jen-whatever, has to stop. One anecdote about her is cute but too much is not.

Chapters 2 to 5 were helpful because he described details on how to use eye contact. He even went so far as to describe how it can work and fail you in various situations. On the other hand, his writing style is confusing because he just quotes directly from his interviews. Brevity is the mark of a true writer. As a bonafide bookworm, I wonder if he is just being lazy and I even criticize his book editor, who should have been more on top of all this. The author has breakthrough ideas yet it is presented and packaged like it was intended for a high school project.

The author also gave a few tips on how to be more comfortable with establishing eye contact. I have since used one of the tips, which was increasing eye contact with service personnel (servers, receptionists, bellboys, etc) and yes, it works. I am certainly gaining more confidence in that area and I'll continue trying. He encouraged doing eye gazing exercises with friends and/or family and that's just too weird for me. Still, it depends on the person.

Nevertheless, I am knocking off 2 stars from this review because something this innovative could have been presented with more thought and planning.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book has no substance to it, September 28, 2011
This book has no actual substance to it; I thought it would cover in-depth concepts like what different types of looks means and how to identify emotional cues via eye patterns. What the book actually covered was: hold eye contact, but not too much eye contact- thats it.

Throughout the whole book, literally, EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER the author spends atleast half the chapter (and collectively probally over half the book) reiterating why eye contact is so important, rather than explaining techniques to improve eye contact or secrets of it he, his only suggestion throughout the entire book essentially is: make eye contact with other people, but not TOO much eye contact.

This author has no credentials, no degree in anything related to psychology or anything to do with eye contact- nothing. Don't believe all the 5 star reviews because they are all most likely faked, and don't waste your money on this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blah Blah Blah, October 18, 2011
I learned one valuable thing when I got to page 40, make eye contact long enough to see the color of the iris. Beyond this, it was just interviews and opinions from people who understand effective eye contact, I do not recommend this book at all, even if were free.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Title, May 26, 2010
Promising title which the authors tries desperatly to "fill out" with anecdoctal examples bordering on the trite truisms of someone who is attempting to strech a (short) magazine article into a book. The eyes as the "windows to the soul." Where have I heard that before!? And on and on. . . The fact that the author is apparently attempting to sell his idea of eye contact parties and the whole book just sinks into self promotion drivel. Compare this attempt with "The Definitive Book on Body Language" (lofty title nothwithstanding) and one can see the difference on how to use similar information in a helpful manner--that is, how to illustrate why the subject matter has practical roots and applications. To the author: I know why people get hungry. Save your money. the Body Language book covers the subject matter in a more helpful manner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been an article, April 14, 2012
This is just one of those books that is based on an idea that is stretched far too thin and would be better off just being a short essay. The whole "what this book will tell you will unlock the secret to all your dreams" cliche was a bit cheesy as well. Ellsberg is an excellent author and there are some great nuggets but otherwise it just becomes a redundant cycle of vague references to eye contact throughout history with obvious eye contact practices thrown in. I would miss this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short repetitive anecdotes about eye contact with no substance., February 17, 2012
This review is from: The Power of Eye Contact (Kindle Edition)
I've always had an interest in body language and eye contact, and was delighted to see a book that was focusing solely on eye contact. I thought it would be chock-full of studies and scientific information, but it was mostly just full of personal quotes and anecdotes.

If he had perhaps too been a better writer, I would have given this another star, but he writes like a 10th grader who is repeating things to try and meet the "page quota" for his homework. Oh, and he likes to brag about the amazing secret of eye contact and how you are gonna get laid every night with just these tips on eye contact. Much of the book he sounds like a sleezy salesmen.

Speaking of sleezy salesmen, most of the 5 star reviews look completely fake.

This book wouldn't be worth your time even if it were free.

Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, June 23, 2010
This book is fantastic!!! It's incredible how Ellsberg created a modern, practical way about experiencing the ancient mystical practice of eye gazing.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting into when I started the book. While reading, I had chills of recognition most of the time because this practice was the basis of my training in mysticism in Peru as well as with my friends who trained in the Kahuna ways. We didn't have singles parties and the eye gazing we practiced was referred to as "seeing" and done with the intent of seeing beyond perception. The trance-like mystical experience Ellsberg speaks of where the boundaries disappear, colors/shapes/lights and other imagery show up, the mirror reflects the self and the entire universe, past/present/future connections with the other show up, and sometimes everything/everyone disappears entirely... just makes you stop and reflect, how is it possible that such states of consciousness can be induced by eye contact with another human?

Ellsberg also validates the eye gazing I've always enjoyed doing with myself in the mirror. Those experiences have helped me know and trust myself more. Somehow these ideas sounded so weird to talk to people about before, but now that he expressed this ancient knowledge in simple, practical terms that apply to modern life I feel a huge shift in acceptance of who I am and what I am here to share with the world.

I'm truly amazed that Ellsberg has brought this info into the mainstream--through what I'd call "practical mysticism. Also the way he relates this topic to social life and interactions between men and women in particular is fantastic. It's amazing how books seem to enter one's life in the most synchronistic timing. Putting his knowledge to use has helped me understand more about male/female social interactions. My favorite part of the book was of course the chapter on the spiritual side of eye contact. Ellsberg hits many nails on the head. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is ready to expand your definition of who you are and how you connect with others.

The Power of Eye Contact