Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Power of Patience: How to Slow the Rush and Enjoy More Happiness, Success, and Peace of Mind Every Day
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 3, 2008
Not a bad read. Full of anecdotes, quotes and the like of how patience has benefited peoples lives - or where its absence, has not. I was a little disappointed however by the lack of the subject matter which I bought the book for, which was - how to develop ones patience. If you are like me and are aiming higher than just a warm fuzzy feeling and want practical advice on what it takes to develop this competency, then look elsewhere.

An addendum; If your looking for practical, workable advice see - "Patience Pays Off" by James Sherman PhD or "The practicing mind" by Thomas Sterner.
on May 15, 2003
Mary Jane Ryan's POWER OF PATIENCE puts it all into perspective. Through inspiring quotes, stories, and practical suggestions, she creates an insightful, personal and very useful journey for readers. I've had the book a week and have already read it twice (the combination of a house fire, huge loss and a very bad insurance company are making me a student of patience and perspective...thank goodness for this book!). POWER OF PATIENCE would also make a terrific gift.
on September 5, 2005
The following passage on page 1 precisely describes my mind:-

Dear God,

I pray for patience. And I want it Right Now!

- Oren Arnold

From the above, you can tell it's hard to satisfy an impatient reader like me. However, I must say that in the previous two days when I was reading the book here and there, during various means of transport, I did have better patience or tolerance towards queues, jostlers, neightbourhood annoyances etc etc., though I dont know whether the tranquilizing effect is for long or for short.

No matter what, I love reading it for the author's shrewd writing and clever use of excellent passages from others. I am sure you wont lose your patience for or whilst reading it. Certainly good food for thought. Below please find some of my favorite quotes for your reference.

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it. - Arnold Glasgow Pg vii

Walt Disney, for instance, was turned down 302 times before he got financing for Disneyland. Pg 11

Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience. - George Louis Leclerc de Buffon Pg 20

Your biography becomes your biology. - Caroline Myss Pg 32

I think and think for months and years, ninety-nine times, the conclusion is false. The hundredth time I am right. - Albert Einstein Pg 79

You cant control anything about someone else, but you have complete control of how you relate to him or her, and that, of course, will drastically impact his or her willingness to receive your viewpoint. - Tim Gallwey, The Inner Game of Work Pg 99

Judging others will avail you nothing and injure you spiritually. Only if you inspire others to judge themselves will anything worthwhile have been accomplished. - Peace Pilgrim Pg 111

If there's a defining characteristics of a man as opposed to a boy, may be it's patience.

- Lance Armstrong Pg 115

Every moment a beginning. Every moment an end. - Mark Salzman Pg 121
on May 21, 2003
This is a great book to learn how to deal with everyday life and being more patient with yourself and others around you!! It has already helped me a great deal and opened my eyes to new options in life! Thanks M.J. Ryan for writing this great book!
on May 8, 2007
This book is perfect for someone who's learning to assert patience in their daily lives. First off, the chapters are short and to the point, which is perfect for the readers of this particular book. Secondly, each chapter deals with a different aspect of life and how patience plays a role. So, if you're dealing with a specific situation, it's most likely covered in this book. Lastly, the author doesn't preach to you. Instead, she speaks of her own struggles with losing her patience and how, even now, she slips up from time to time. I'm very glad I read it.
on August 20, 2013
I don't usually like self-help books, but this book changed my life forever. I only wish I could have read it 40 years ago!! Peace and calm have replaced my old impatient ways. I have recommended it to several people and purchased it as gifts for close relatives and friends. In a family of type A personalities, this book has already proven to be invaluable!
on January 14, 2014
Well written book with impressive insights on a subject not easily mastered. I like that the book has short chapters that can be read independently from other chapters. M. J. Ryan does an excellent job of pointing out all the benefits of being patient (even when you don't feel like being that way). Written from the heart with a healthy dose of positive benefits for the brain as well as the body. Great book. Loved it for years and finally got my own copy. :)
on February 10, 2016
I am in a really tough period of my life where I basically was frustrated with everyday little things and noticed I was having difficulties with my patience. I purchased this book through a blog that I was reading about the subject and I love it. It is something that I can't explain. It has given me the opportunity the reflect myself, have stop for a moment and appreciate little things. Also understand where my impatience is coming from.

on August 6, 2009
The book was a little different than what I expected. It gives short stories when patience should be used. I was expecting a little more insight on what you can do when you're having trouble with excercising patience. The book did have some good points and for the price I suppose it was an okay read.
on April 30, 2013
I read this book as part of my therapy process with anxiety disorder and found it to be helpful. If anyone out there is looking for a good, easy to read book without difficult terminology and science. This is a good book. Its actually fun to read out aloud to friends and children with patience issues.