5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First!
Published on August 23, 2011 by SciFiChick

2.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating (Many many many Spoilers)
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First!, August 23, 2011
John Smith (Number Four) narrowly escaped the death in Paradise, Ohio. Now, on the run with Sam and Number Six, the trio must find the rest of the remaining six of nine alien survivors in order to fight the impending invasion. Meanwhile, Number Seven is hiding out in Spain, but the Magadorians are closing in. And her protector seems to have turned her back on their past and purpose.

Picking up right after I am Number Four left off, this sequel revolves mainly around two characters: John Smith again and Marina (Number Seven). John, Sam, and Six become closer as they travel across America, which leads to an obvious and awkward love triangle. We get to learn more about Six and her tortured past. And we're also introduced to the young and sheltered Marina, who has been hiding out all over Europe, but has been living in Spain in an orphanage a bit too long. With her protector in denial, Marina doesn't know who she can trust now. But she knows she has to leave as soon as possible.

I thoroughly enjoyed I am Number Four; and was surprised that this second installment was even more intense and action-packed than the first. Filled with shocking twists and surprises around every corner, the story was riveting. With interesting characters that are easy to care about and a complex and engaging story, this science fiction, action thriller for young adults is pure fun and excitement.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Sequel to I Am Number 4, August 24, 2011
This is a fantastic, action packed, thrilling sequel to I Am Number 4. I really liked the way the story played out and was written. It's a fast paced, engaging read told from two different points of view from John, Number Four and Marina, Number Seven.

John, Six, Sam and John's faithful companion, Bernie Kosar are on the run and continue to find themselves in the middle of trouble, despite their best efforts to stay hidden. I loved their character chemistry together and even found some their lines together humorous. Parelling their story is Number Seven, Marina who's in Spain. I liked getting to see two completely different sides to their stories, which not only allows the reader to get to know the characters more, but it makes the story more believable being set in both the US and Spain.

I absolutely love Number Six. She continues to be my favorite character in the series, but Marina herself proves to be a pretty strong character. Sam is another favorite of mine and he becomes a lot stronger in this sequel. I adore John and his sarcasm. He brings some of the humor to the storyline. The fabulous twist that's thrown into John and Sarah's relationship is one I did not see coming. It's one that had me going "no way". I'm hoping we get to see the reasoning behind this twist in the next book.

Thrown into this exiting storyline is the character's history. I liked being able to understand why they're here. The only thing I had an issue with is the reference to the author's pen name and how it ties back to their history. For some reason it just rubbed me the wrong way that one of their Elders has the same name. Aside from that, I liked how the story played out. There's a lot that happens in The Power of Six. There's a lot of action, betrayal, and new characters that come into play that make this book an extremely engaging, fun read. I highly recommend picking this book up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating (Many many many Spoilers), January 19, 2013
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Kindle Edition)
OK, I saw the movie of the first book and really liked it. So I then started reading the series. I didn't write a review on the first book (I Am Number Four) but would give it 4 stars. Definitely good enough to keep on going though, unlike the movie, there's a lot more of the mopey love stuff going on. But the second book has been a complete disappointment. I realize that I seem to be in the minority but I just don't understand how this book has so many 5 star reviews.

This book has alternating viewpoints between John (Four) and Marina (Seven). Marina is at an orphanage in Spain. Her story is interesting and quite good. I enjoyed her parts quite a bit.

However, John has to be the most unrelatable frustrating protagonist I've ever had the misfortune to read. In the first book, he falls head-over-heels in love with Sarah. Can't live without her. Now, he's been gone from Sarah for a few days and he's falling for Six. OK, well, fickle guy is fickle. I can accept that I guess. But he also knows that his best, and only, friend Sam likes Six as well. So does he hide his feelings for Six, at least while Sam is around? Nope. At one point (near the end) he has to say goodbye to Six and, while Sam is watching, starts Frenching her. Nice.

OK, now I'm gritting my teeth, but fine, I'll accept that he really is falling for Six and can't help himself. He really likes her so, being the protagonist, I'm sure he'll be by her side instantly if she's in trouble? Nope. The second he realizes he's anywhere near Sarah's house he runs off, leaving Six by herself, surrounded by Mogs, fighting to get HIS Chest back. Yes, you read that correctly. She has put her life on the line to get John's Chest back from the Mogs and is fighting them when John decides it's time to run off and hook up with his other girlfriend. Mind you, Sarah is sound asleep at home and doesn't even know John is back in town, John is the #1 Most Wanted Man in the country, Mogs are beating up Six, the FBI and CIA have been pulling out all the stops to get John, but at this exact time he decides to pay a social call on Sarah. What. The. Fudge.

Naturally, really bad things happen because of John's stupid decision. He and Sam (you know, his best friend that he has no respect for but keeps dragging along to get in trouble with him) are captured by the government. Six rescues John (again, as she did in book one) just as the Mogs attack the jail that he and Sam are being held in (I'll come back to the Mogs in a minute).

The trio escape from the jail. Six informs them that they need to get to Spain to help Seven, who is in some deep doodoo. John, who is deeply remorseful for putting Six and Sam in jeopardy and really wants to find and help his fellow Lorians, of course agrees to help. No wait. Sorry, that was some other book that makes sense. In this particular book, John decides he HAS to get his Chest back. You know, the one he forgot all about so he could text with Sarah while Six was fighting to get it back for him. That Chest. It's being held in a huge Mog lair so naturally he drags Sam along with him, why not, and abandons Six to whatever fate awaits her in Spain. I stopped reading at this point. I really just couldn't continue.

After many hours of debate I did decide to finally finish reading solely to see what happens to Marina and Six. Again, that part of the story is pretty good.

You won't be surprised to learn that John does not pay a price for his stupid decision. Sam does. Sam is captured and tortured by the Mogs. Good one John.

Finally, three other minor points, none of which on their own are deal breakers for me.

One, the Mogs seem to be the Lorien Legacies' equivalent of the Imperial Troopers in Star Wars. No matter how many of them there are, you can be sure they won't be able to stop our fearless heroes. John, Six, Sam and Marina and her friends mow down literally hundreds, if not thousands, of them. This is only a minor quibble on my part. They are the good guys after all and I'm used to reading and watching stuff like that. Also, there are hints that they are in collusion with the US government. If that is the case, why did they need to attack the jail? Just get the feds to hand John and Sam over to them.

Two, when John tries to go back into the Mog lair to rescue Sam (at least he tries, I guess) there is a blue force field that he can't get past. Where was that force field when he and Sam first snuck in? It seems a bit too convenient that it wasn't there when they needed to get in and then shows up when the plot needs it to keep Sam in Mog hands.

Three, recycling of powers. I haven't mentioned it, but while in the Mog base, John and Sam rescue Number Nine. He has all kinds of cool powers. Once John and he escape the cave, and after John knocks himself out by running into the blue force field (typical), Nine all of a sudden develops the ability to talk to animals. What?! I thought this was one of John's signature abilities. This seemed completely unnecessary.

OK, so that's that. I can't read the third book right now. I'm interested in Six and Marina but I just can't read anymore about John. I'll wait and see what others say about the fourth book when it comes out. If John gets better in that, then I'll continue but for now I'm holding off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle formatting is BAD!, August 29, 2011
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Kindle Edition)
This is only the third review I have written and it sucks that is has to be motivated by something negative, but it is. I simply have to comment on the formatting for the Kindle version and how bad it is, and it is bad! The paragraphs aren't separated properly and it makes the whole thing very hard to read, changing the flow of what could be a great story completely. I found myself having to reread things several times just to figure out who was talking and sometimes even to see if it was still the same thread of the story or if it had changed to a different narrator.

I was extremely disappointed with this book because of that. The only reason I gave it three stars is because once I had reread the parts enough to figure out who was talking and what they were talking about, the story itself was good.

I'm really hoping they are going to rerelease a properly edited version and then I'll look forward to reading it again as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Continuation, October 12, 2011
I thought the first book was amazing. There are so many added plot twists, curveballs, and exciting situations that you can't get bored with this page-turner sequel. I spent all the time I could reading this, and I still couldn't get to the ending fast enough. With all the exciting cliff-hangers that were left, there's no way there won't be a third installment. Every word made me want to read more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Rating: 2 Kit Kat Bars, March 9, 2014
Review of the Characters:

John/Four: Unfortunately for me, John got worse. Where as before he just a boring, robotic voice, this time around he was robotic with an added quick of FRUSTRATING. After going on and on for pages in the first book proclaiming his love for Sarah, after fifteen minutes with Six, suddenly everything is different. He loves Sarah but likes Six a lot, wow, what a dilemma John, I feel for ya. My heart especially breaks for you John when Sam tells you how he feels about Six and then you flirt with her right in front of him. Very compelling stuff.

Marina/Seven– I actually did enjoy her character quite a bit. She was proactive about her future and possessed a determination that could not be derailed. Although she acted predictably at times she still exuded this quiet strength that was compelling. Her parts in the book were the most enjoyable for me.

Review of the Story:

In the sequel to I Am Number Four we dive deeper into the Lorien Legacies and it was really interesting. I think what really made this story better than its precessor was learning more about the Lorien Legacies from different perspectives: Six’s and Seven’s. As I’ve said in I Am Number Four the premise of the story is original and engaging but the author adds in too many cliché tropes causing the overall execution fails.

Can we just talk about that love triangle for a moment? What was the point? What was the point of making such a big deal of how John and Sarah love each other in the first book just to flush it away in this novel? How did it enhance this novel at all? It didn’t. It was distracting, pointless, and wasted valuable page space. I’m usually not a fan of love triangles that are done well, so one that is thrown into a book randomly and without any real purpose is beyond irritating.

Review of the Writing:

I had a big problem with the writing. I feel like the author kind of knows where he wants to go with the story, he kind of has a general picture of the outcome but has no idea how to get there or accomplish any goals. He meanders throughout the whole book randomly throwing the characters in unrealistic situations and leaving reasons unexplained. It was an easy way of writing to put it frankly and it was all too clear throughout the whole book.

Rating:

The author introduces some exciting new characters in this segment of his series which really helped hide the transparent writing. With an interesting premise the author manages to leave just enough excitement for the next book, The Rise of Nine despite disappointing us once again with pages full of no activity and clichés.

5.0 out of 5 stars Series Keeps Getting Better!, November 22, 2011
This series drew me in with I Am Number Four, the book was absolutely amazing. (Trust me, it was much better than the movie) So needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating the follow up, The Power of Six. Let me tell you, this book did NOT disappoint. We get to see more of John "Four" Smith, Six and Sam but we're also introduced to Marina, who is Seven. Reading about another one of the nine sent from Lorien is very exciting. She is located in Spain with her Cepan, Adelina. Marina is determined to find John, she's not sure what his number is but she's certain he's one of them. Adelina won't hear it, she doesn't want to leave Spain. They've been safe there so why risk it? The Mogs find them and things get interesting from there on out...

The story flowed so well, the back and forth from Four/Six to Seven flowed well, and gave you different perspectives of the story. Mixed it up a bit and made the story better for it. This book was filled with way more action than I Am Number Four, a bit more drama and more interactions with John and Sam, who are a friendship I admire.

The end with Sam and John blows my mind. I'm still having trouble coming to terms with everything that went down. But I'm also excited we got to meet Nine at the end, as well. I know we'll be seeing more of him in the next installment.

I recommend this book to people who like a book that is action filled along with sci-fi. If you're looking for a romance filled YA book, this is definitely not your book. Not that there's NOT romance in it but not as much as you usually see in YA. Do not base this book series off the motion picture, I Am Number Four. It is MUCH better than what you say, promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good! :), October 12, 2011
Noel Villanueva (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
'The Power of Six' by Pittacus Lore is a great sequel to the first in the Lorien Legacies series, 'I Am Number Four'. These books are about 9 teenage aliens coming from the planet Lorien, which had just been destroyed by the Mogadorians, an evil species of aliens. These nine aliens had to flee to Earth to save Earth from being destroyed by the Mogadorians and survive long enough to take back Lorien. In 'I Am Number Four', you learn that the first three aliens are dead because the Mogadorians had to kill them in order by number. You follow Number Four, or John's, adventure in Paradise, Ohio with his Cepan (the guide and mentor for the aliens), Henri, his best friend, Sam, his girlfriend, Sarah, Number Six, and his dog/mutant pet, Bernie Kosar. In 'The Power of Six', you find yourself on the run with John, Six, Sam, and Bernie Kosar in the United States. But then, the story takes you to a small town in Spain, where Number Seven, or Marina, is hiding in an orphanage with her Cepan, Adelina. Marina is tracking John and trying to contact him so they can join forces.
This book has every genre tied into the storyline. There's two love triangles; one with Sam, John, and Six, and one with John, Six, and Sarah. There's a dark mystery behind Sam's dad, suspense when you're on the edge of your seat, wondering when the next Mogadorian will appear...this book has everything! From beginning to end, 'The Power of Six' always had me wanting more. I recommend this book to anyone who likes action, adventure, humor, or romance novels. I think both boys and girl alike will love 'The Power of Six' just as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi action, January 25, 2013
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Kindle Edition)
This is the 2nd book in the Lorien series. The plot, characters and action are great. If you liked the movie "I Am Number Four" you'll love the Lorien series books.

2.0 out of 5 stars All bark and no bite, January 9, 2012
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Kindle Edition)
The problem with the 'Lorien Legacies' is that Pittacus Lore (or whoever is actually writing the book--I don't care enough to waste the two minutes it would take to look it up) is clearly trying WAY TOO HARD to be the next epic fantasy series. It's so obvious that this series is attempting to rival such series as Harry Potter and the Twilight Saga. The mythology of this series is extensive and detailed, but it just feels cheap and fails to connect it back to reality. Part of the charm of the Harry Potter and Twilight series (both of which I've read) is that the separate fantasy world either exist alongside the human or 'mundane' world (the one in which you and I currently live) or are incorporated into our world as an alternative, coexisting universe. I have a hard time buying into any of this Lorien bull. Sometimes it just seems devoid of any class or romance. Actually, that's exactly the word I'm looking for: Romance. There is nothing that's romantic or enticing about this series. As I read, I find myself thinking, "I'm not intrigued by this mythology and have no desire to live in this world." Of course, this is just the opinion of one person.

I read the first book of this series and was semi-impressed. Obviously my interest was piqued enough to read the second, but if it's weren't for the last 30 (approx.) pages I'd hate myself for wasting the time spent reading it. The first 75% of The Power of Six has ABSOLUTELY NO DIRECTION. John, Six and Sam are just meandering around the west coast in a perpetual state of paranoia. Every time there's imminent danger or an actual attack by Mogs (which in no way shape or form rolls off the tongue smoothly and I find myself sounding stupid even saying it in my head) you know that they'll get out of each sticky situation unscathed and--worse yet--having learned NOTHING from the countless mistakes made. John's character has become increasingly intolerable; I don't care how much he thinks he's in love with Sarah (even though he admits to loving Six too, yet he leaves her high and dry to fight off a small swarm of Mogs on her own), in what universe would it be worth the risk of putting not only yourself in mortal danger, but also your alleged best friend and other love interest. It just makes no sense. Some of the plot devices in this book are so forced and irrational that it becomes entirely too obviously that they're there merely to generate tension and suspense. There's little to nothing authentic about this book.

As I mentioned, the last 30 or so pages of the book redeem it from the rest, but only marginally. The climax unfolds rather smoothly, simultaneously following John and Sam as they infiltrate the Mogs' mountain lair in West Virginia while Six heads to Spain to save Seven (Marina) from her own Mog problems. Just like in the first book, one the action starts, it's non-stop until the end and becomes quite a page turned. Even so, a pretty entertaining ending hardly redeems the book for 150 pages of garbage.

Mr. Pittacus Lore (or whoever you are), I'm unimpressed. If I read your third and final installment (which is unlikely after being so highly disappointed by your pretentious efforts thus far), you had better step up your game. It's no wonder at all why the makers of the I Am Number Four movie seem to have decided not to pursue adapting the remaining books to film.

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies)
$4.99