5.0 out of 5 stars The Title Says It All...
This book is more than a book about branding, it's about being honest with yourself and your business.

You're going to find out how to, on a DEEP level, resonate and connect with the people who mean the most to your business.

But the scary thing is, this will mean the rest don't matter. I know, sounds scary... but if you follow the advice clearly...
Published on February 29, 2012 by Joseph Ratliff

3.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD REVIEW
I wasn't that thrilled by the author, or her bad language and (apparently) numerous body tattoos. But being that is part of her particular brand. And in that case, more power to her. I'm a male businessman, author, and TV producer, with decades in business, so we're not really in the same alley, are we?

That said - so what? That's Erika's point. Be who you are...
Published on December 1, 2012 by Timothy James Dean

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Re-Hash, July 3, 2012
John Petralia (Fort Myers, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Building Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You (and why no one else matters) (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Find an audience that likes your product. Cater to that audiance even if it makes you unpopular with others. That's the book in a nutshell. If you like your platitudes re-packaged, you'll love The Power of Un-Popular. If you like someone constantly telling you how outrageous she is, you'll like Erika Napoletano. After all she sports a large tatoo on one arm and she can throw f-bombs with the best of them. Awsome, dude. Awsome. Seriously folks, this is not a bad book. But save for the catchy title, you've heard it all before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kick in the ass, March 9, 2014
I've been a fan of Erika's style for quite some time and found this book to be yet another swift kick in the a$$ to do the work and build a brand that resonates with the right audience. It's an easy read, uses real-life examples and reinforces that to be great, you really do need to be different. It doesn't matter if you're a seasoned pro or a business n00b, buy this book and read it. Your business will thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Never Want To Be Popular Again, November 5, 2013
Inside the "Power of Un-Popular" you'll find that the idea of un-popular isn't just kitsch and clever marketing, it's an in-your-face guide to what makes your business special and how it will stand out from the crowd. You will also find it is more than another business book, but rather acts as a guide giving you the how and the why to build an unpopular brand.

I didn't want to stop reading once I got going because I wanted to get to executing all of the great ideas that are in this book. Even before I finished I started seeing my own business, and how I manage it differently.

I typically have one business book each year that stands out and i would recommend and this years book is The Power of UnPopular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it Real, October 31, 2013
For me this book was a game changer. When you are out on your own as a consultant, you don't have the luxury of co-worker or team validation for your thoughts and insights. Instead you find yourself like Al Franken's character Stuart Smalley from Saturday Night Live "I'm good enough....I'm smart enough" while sitting in front of the mirror. Well now I don't feel that way as much as I used to, because this book, this author, this Erika, she reinforced so many of my instincts, I felt like I found Willy Wonka's golden ticket with this book. I am now wondering how many more popculture references I can make in this review. Probably several. But that's how accessible this book is. No blah blah blah about propensity and effectiveness and success rates, it's all very human. And it's not cheerleader-ish in the Richard Simmons way (see?) but in the Jiminy Crickett way. Key takeaways:

When creating/developing your brand, stop apologizing for your willingness to be at the table and make a difference. Commit to what you want to do and speak up. I found myself apologetic for wanting to make money helping clients understand their audiences better. After reading The Power of Being Un-Popular, I stopped apologizing and started reinforcing why clients need my services and was able to back it up.

The power of commitment. The case studies provided are amazing and incredibly helpful in illustrating companies that committed to who they truly CAN be and how they can sustain and be trusted -most importantly worthy of their client's loyalty. Whatever you are, own it. Run with it. Keep it real.

After reading this book, I was forced to look at how many clients are seeking a new "brand promise" when they have yet to explore what promises they have or have not been keeping to their customers and how this affects loyalty. This book has made me a better consultant by helping me help me connect the dots more effectively for my clients and it's helped me feel much more like Roseanne Roseannadanna than Stuart Smalley. How many books can make you feel that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on building a brand that stands out from the rest, October 20, 2013
I have been following Erika's blog for. Some time now and finally got around to reading her book. I am sorry I waited so long, the book really wakes you up to how to build a develop a unique brand and not be afraid of being different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal Branding For Badasses, October 10, 2013
Aliza Stein (IRVINE, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Let's get real for a moment. You're not scrolling through Amazon looking for another book focused on case-studying the typical big brands. You're looking for gold that will help you create a brand that is authentic, unique, and (let's be honest) badass. The Power of Un-Popular will help you do that.

Erika writes about real brands that have developed a hardcore fan base and provides actionable (read: realistic) steps you can do NOW to build your brand. In the book she discusses strategies that can be adapted to any type of business. Her Campfire Concept is (in my opinion) a great way to understand the fundamentals of a great brand. Her style is raw, comical and upfront. If you're tired of reading blog after blog (or book after book-like me)about how "to create a personal brand that sells" then grab a copy now. This book also helps businesses who are struggling with finding their ideal customer or target market. Or are maybe having a hard time picking a company persona. There are no fluffy kittens, gurus or unicorn marketing BS in here. Just badass sheeps and straight up business/branding advice. Get this book if you're ready to create a brand that stands out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guide To Building Stronger Brands, October 10, 2013
Krysta Rinke (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
First of all, I'm a fan of Erika. Her tats, cussing, unapologetic tone and raw honesty make me throw a fist bump to the air every time she drops a truth bomb.

While she doesn't use as much profanity in this book as she uses in her talks and social media, she gets her point across loud and clear: Good brands are unpopular.

I read this book a year ago and picked it up again this week for a refresher. As a small business owner, this book makes me feel like I'm less alone in my quest to stand for something ... even when it's not 'cool.' One of my favorite lines from page 31 is: "Critics make us better. A-holes don't." When I feel beat down by feedback, this quote helps me filter what's helpful and what's just noise. It may seem small, but being reminded that there are a lot of idiots out there keep my knee-jerk reactions to bad feedback in check. There's no use in modifying your brand for people your brand wasn't built for ... ignore and move on.

Erika walks you through the process of identifying the core of your brand, its message and who the intended audience is. For business who are just starting out (or ones who need a good kick in the pants), this book is convicting, challenging and helpful at the same time. This book is the reality check that most of us need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Erika is always awesome!, October 10, 2013
Erika speaks the truth, and she's packaged up truths about branding and knowing your customers that resonate with me. It's a relief to stop pretending to try and appeal to everyone in the market, and her book lets you take a deep breath and let go (and focus on serving the people who ARE your market!). Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a slap upside the head . . ., August 28, 2013
Ken Deshaies (Centennial, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Erika Napolitano is a brash, forthright arbiter of decency in the business world. I was first captivated by her blog, and decided to take on her book. It reads clearly and linearly, with advice that I felt was poignant and relevant. Basically, she points out that it is important to understand that you should never try to be all things to all people. No matter what you do, how good your product or service is, you will be demonized by those who either just don't get it or who are threatened by your competition. You will always be unpopular to many - and that's great.

So, it's important to understand who your true audience is and build on their loyalty. In fact, a step to success is identifying those who are passionately loyal and who will sing your praises to anyone they encounter. This is very similar to what I learned in real estate, where the inclination is to work with anyone who had a pulse. But smart agents learned to divide their customers and clients into A, B, C and D categories. The As were those who were passionate. The Bs were those who enjoyed working with you, but might take more time to make a decision and were more passive. And you just didn't waste time on Cs and Ds. This can be a difficult process, particularly when your livelihood relies on sales and commissions (and you're hungry that week).

There have, of course, been zillions of books written on how to succeed in business. I've read enough of them to know that there is a lot of formulaic pap out there. But this book resonated for me. It not only takes you through a process, but it also provides a good number of real-time resources.

If you're put off by writing that mimics the sometimes off-color language of day to day conversation, you may be offended. But, frankly, I find it refreshing. It's like slapping yourself upside the head and saying, "I coulda had a . . ." Oh, yeah, I don't much care for V-8.

Get the book today. It's an eye opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally you can be yourself, July 23, 2013
Mark Mitchell (Boulder, CO. USA) - See all my reviews
I heard Erika speak and then read her book. I realized how much of my life I had wasted trying to be popular. Popular like vanilla ice cream. Now I don't care that some people don't like me because others love me. I have learned that if I'm not bothering someone with my point of view, I'm not trying hard enough.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›