on December 22, 2012
Format: Hardcover
There is a very old moral from an Aesop's fable: "Yield to everyone, and you will soon have nothing left to yield." Erika Napoletano's advice is not only good advice in business and branding, it is good advice in life. Rather than trying to sell to an indeterminate middle ground "every man," choose your niche and own it. Full of smart, savvy advice, I highly recommend this book.
on October 31, 2013
Format: Hardcover
For me this book was a game changer. When you are out on your own as a consultant, you don't have the luxury of co-worker or team validation for your thoughts and insights. Instead you find yourself like Al Franken's character Stuart Smalley from Saturday Night Live "I'm good enough....I'm smart enough" while sitting in front of the mirror. Well now I don't feel that way as much as I used to, because this book, this author, this Erika, she reinforced so many of my instincts, I felt like I found Willy Wonka's golden ticket with this book. I am now wondering how many more popculture references I can make in this review. Probably several. But that's how accessible this book is. No blah blah blah about propensity and effectiveness and success rates, it's all very human. And it's not cheerleader-ish in the Richard Simmons way (see?) but in the Jiminy Crickett way. Key takeaways:

When creating/developing your brand, stop apologizing for your willingness to be at the table and make a difference. Commit to what you want to do and speak up. I found myself apologetic for wanting to make money helping clients understand their audiences better. After reading The Power of Being Un-Popular, I stopped apologizing and started reinforcing why clients need my services and was able to back it up.

The power of commitment. The case studies provided are amazing and incredibly helpful in illustrating companies that committed to who they truly CAN be and how they can sustain and be trusted -most importantly worthy of their client's loyalty. Whatever you are, own it. Run with it. Keep it real.

After reading this book, I was forced to look at how many clients are seeking a new "brand promise" when they have yet to explore what promises they have or have not been keeping to their customers and how this affects loyalty. This book has made me a better consultant by helping me help me connect the dots more effectively for my clients and it's helped me feel much more like Roseanne Roseannadanna than Stuart Smalley. How many books can make you feel that?
on August 28, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Erika Napolitano is a brash, forthright arbiter of decency in the business world. I was first captivated by her blog, and decided to take on her book. It reads clearly and linearly, with advice that I felt was poignant and relevant. Basically, she points out that it is important to understand that you should never try to be all things to all people. No matter what you do, how good your product or service is, you will be demonized by those who either just don't get it or who are threatened by your competition. You will always be unpopular to many - and that's great.

So, it's important to understand who your true audience is and build on their loyalty. In fact, a step to success is identifying those who are passionately loyal and who will sing your praises to anyone they encounter. This is very similar to what I learned in real estate, where the inclination is to work with anyone who had a pulse. But smart agents learned to divide their customers and clients into A, B, C and D categories. The As were those who were passionate. The Bs were those who enjoyed working with you, but might take more time to make a decision and were more passive. And you just didn't waste time on Cs and Ds. This can be a difficult process, particularly when your livelihood relies on sales and commissions (and you're hungry that week).

There have, of course, been zillions of books written on how to succeed in business. I've read enough of them to know that there is a lot of formulaic pap out there. But this book resonated for me. It not only takes you through a process, but it also provides a good number of real-time resources.

If you're put off by writing that mimics the sometimes off-color language of day to day conversation, you may be offended. But, frankly, I find it refreshing. It's like slapping yourself upside the head and saying, "I coulda had a . . ." Oh, yeah, I don't much care for V-8.

Get the book today. It's an eye opener.
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The Power Of UN-Popular was recommend by my copywriter. I'm thankful Matthew Goldfarb, author of Renegade Thoughts, encouraged me to read this book.

Erika Napoletano accomplished what many are unable to with the title. She commanded attention.

After I placed my Amazon order and waited for the book to arrive, I watched a Ted Talk the author did/ I resonated with her style and message.

Although there are many sectors of the business community that still run on a conventional and conservative model, there are countless businesses thriving by having the willingness to stand out, be unique and not try to please everyone.

After seeing the video I was anxious to dig into the book. I was not disappointed.

Erika grabs the reader with the opening story of Chapter 1. I chuckled as I visualized the situation she shares.

I have been a marketing strategist for many years. In the last couple decades I can't count the number of times entrepreneurs try to get "everyone" to be their market or they mistakenly believe everyone is their market.

It was so refreshing to read Erika's take on, "Don't believe for a minute everyone is your market. They're not, nor should they be."

Although the occasional F-Bomb might make the hairs stand up on the back of the neck of many people, these folks are likely not Erika's market.

Many of the theories she writes about are pretty standard in marketing, but her presentation puts a nice twist to various topics.

If you're looking for an entertaining and eye-opening read, get the The Power of UN-Popular.
on July 25, 2014
Format: Hardcover
Bought this for my dad. He loved it!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 24, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Power of Unpopular boils down into simple terms some of the highest level concepts with which I dealt in my 20+ year career in business management, and does so cleanly, clearly, and concisely. If you are a business owner or manager it's worth a read through Erika Napoletano's work.

One of the cornerstones of business success is the voice of the business. This is often confused with marketing, and the two are closely related, but they are definitely distinct parts of the plan. As Napoletano explains, the voice not only guides your marketing, but is the heart of your brand identity (think of Jeff Bezos' "customer-centric", which even in the era of Amazon's deepest price competition was ultimately the driving force in Amazon's success).

From there she details how to build on that voice, reaching a target audience who will evangelize. While the concept of the evangelical customer is nothing new (in fact, one of my still-favorite books on the subject, The Culting of Brands, just went to a new edition), Napoletano does a brilliant job of tying it back to actionable steps the business manager or owner can easily and effectively execute.

In the end what makes The Power of Unpopular better than other books on the subject is not only its ability to make a strong case (other popular books have done so), it's the author's dedication to making it approachable and actionable - never bogged down with too many stories, but always inspiring and specific enough to walk away from a chapter knowing what to do and motivated to do it.
on September 14, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Power of Unpopular is clear and clever, filled with bold, shiny ah-has perfectly suited for anyone, like moi, who dishes out brand personality via social media, blogging, ghosting & other channels. If you've ever stopped to dilute a tweet or reposition a blog post or water down an ad or hesitated to post a pin "just in case" people outside your audience are watching (and might be turned off) then this is for you!

Erika gives us permission to "grow a pair" and say, forget them- go full steam at your audience who IS watching and listening and is already turned on to your brand's message and personality. She reminds us to stay true to those who DO love us and to trust that they will do the "work" (aka "shouting") for us- as long as we love them back and make it easy and enjoyable for them to be part of our conversation-- meaning we deliver on likeability, sharability, personality, approachability etc. vs. being THAT GUY or the neutral brand with nothing REAL to say.

Nobody wants to listen to (or can even hear for that matter) a "middle of the road" voice-- Being Un-Popular with some is better than being Road Kill to everyone...and that's the truth.

This book is a great gift for anyone who chats, engages, thinks, shares or discusses on behalf of any brand or product.
on October 10, 2013
Format: Hardcover
First of all, I'm a fan of Erika. Her tats, cussing, unapologetic tone and raw honesty make me throw a fist bump to the air every time she drops a truth bomb.

While she doesn't use as much profanity in this book as she uses in her talks and social media, she gets her point across loud and clear: Good brands are unpopular.

I read this book a year ago and picked it up again this week for a refresher. As a small business owner, this book makes me feel like I'm less alone in my quest to stand for something ... even when it's not 'cool.' One of my favorite lines from page 31 is: "Critics make us better. A-holes don't." When I feel beat down by feedback, this quote helps me filter what's helpful and what's just noise. It may seem small, but being reminded that there are a lot of idiots out there keep my knee-jerk reactions to bad feedback in check. There's no use in modifying your brand for people your brand wasn't built for ... ignore and move on.

Erika walks you through the process of identifying the core of your brand, its message and who the intended audience is. For business who are just starting out (or ones who need a good kick in the pants), this book is convicting, challenging and helpful at the same time. This book is the reality check that most of us need.
on October 11, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Let's get real for a moment. You're not scrolling through Amazon looking for another book focused on case-studying the typical big brands. You're looking for gold that will help you create a brand that is authentic, unique, and (let's be honest) badass. The Power of Un-Popular will help you do that.

Erika writes about real brands that have developed a hardcore fan base and provides actionable (read: realistic) steps you can do NOW to build your brand. In the book she discusses strategies that can be adapted to any type of business. Her Campfire Concept is (in my opinion) a great way to understand the fundamentals of a great brand. Her style is raw, comical and upfront. If you're tired of reading blog after blog (or book after book-like me)about how "to create a personal brand that sells" then grab a copy now. This book also helps businesses who are struggling with finding their ideal customer or target market. Or are maybe having a hard time picking a company persona. There are no fluffy kittens, gurus or unicorn marketing BS in here. Just badass sheeps and straight up business/branding advice. Get this book if you're ready to create a brand that stands out.
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enjoyed this book, and I think is a must read for anyone in business, marketing, or entrepreneurs considering starting a new business.

The author hits on the unique ways that business is changing today, from just "making a sale" to satisfying customers needs.

The author hits the bulls eye with the modern phenomenon of (in a saturated marketplace) creating and marketing a product people actually want.

The general, and thought provoking concept is if you are Apple, you are un-popular with Microsoft customers
and vice-versa.

Taking it one step further, is an underlying concept of not being "that guy", who only wants to talk about him or herself and then alternatively finding out what the customer actually wants from your product and your company.

This in turn will get your customers to "shout from the roof tops" to their "trusted" network of people.

It's happening all around us from food trucks to distillery's.

This book will help you better understand a modern strategy for building a brand.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations