5.0 out of 5 stars Gratitude
Published on December 9, 2012 by G Man

Published 20 months ago by Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars Gratitude, December 9, 2012
This review is from: The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection and Courage (Audio CD)
Thank you, Dr. Brown for presenting your research and teachings on "The Power of Vulnerability". I am deeply grateful. I write this review after only listening to five of the six CD's contained in the audio learning course! For those of you not familiar with Dr. Brown's research, I would strongly encourage you to watch her 'Ted talk' on "The Power of Vulnerability" AND "Listening to Shame."

In this voluminous audio learning six CD course, Dr. Brown (yes, it is actually Dr. Brown speaking), effectively and humorously weaves personal real life story into her research findings/teachings. Each CD takes on a subject, with eight to eleven sub topics under each subject. CD running times range each from 58 to 73 minutes.

The "Power of Vulnerability" will require deep introspect of oneself. It will make you examine your present known vulnerabilities, and for me, uncover one's I was not aware of. Are you ready for that? Are you looking to improve your emotional health? If yes, consider Dr. Brown's audio learning course a life-saving-altering-for-the-good investment.

Make no mistake; putting Dr. Brown's teachings into 'play' requires tremendous effort and self-discipline. It requires personal PRACTICE, practice that we can apply to our everyday lives. For me, it may require a life time of practice. But that's okay, because the "Power of Vulnerability" gave me hope that I can re-introduce joy into my life. For those of you under professional counseling, like me, this audio learning course may even move you further along with your cognitive based therapy. I know for me it will. Personally, I feel "The Power of Vulnerability" will give me a set of keys that will unlock those previously closed emotional doors of "authenticity," "connection," and "courage."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bren'e Brown must have..., February 14, 2013
First, I am so thankful Bren'e was willing to sit through hours and hours of recording sessions so that we the listener can hear her work in her voice. This collection of work captures so much of what Bren'e has worked on in her study of Shame and vulnerability. I will listen to these 6 CDs over and over again. As a marriage and family therapist I have incorporated what I have learned from this work into every hour of my professional life. It has radically improved the way I live and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Didn't Want it to End, August 30, 2013
DRenee (Waukesha, Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
Brene Brown does a masterful job of telling her personal stories to add color to the research data that is presented in this delightful audiobook. One very important feature that is often overlooked in a review of audiobooks, is the quality of the recording and the quality of the narrator's delivery. In this case, both are top-notch. I often can only listen to a few minutes of gravely or nasal voices on a recording before I rip it out of the player and toss it in the circular file or send it back for a refund. This author is a pleasure to listen to. The producers have taken the time to balance the audio tracks so that the listener does not need to adjust the volume to accomodate for the roars of laughter from the live audience or the poignant whispers from the depths of the author's soul.
The live audience is totally engaged with the author and she does a good job of letting the listener know what is happening in the room visually. She engages just as her message advocates.... she lays it out there. No glossing over uncomfortable statistics or topics and no whitewashing of our behavioral miscues are employed. The ability to encourage people to absorb this attitude of vulnerability without sounding preachy or judgmental is truly a gift possessed by Ms. Brown.
To my total delight, the presentation of the audiobook was equally engaging to my 14 year old daughter who was often listening when she was a passenger in my car. That's right.... 14, the most critical age for all things audio.
We were ready to order more by this same author and were slightly disappointed to find that her previous audiobooks had professional narrators. We were sad that this audiobook had to end and are eagerly awaiting the next body of work by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing in its depth, power, accessibility, January 29, 2013
Robert Devereaux (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I'm halfway through these six CDs, listening in the car on my short commute to work. I have all of her books and the other 2-CD set from soundstrue. Have also seen both TED talks. She is a gem and a font of raw and wonderful wisdom. I cannot imagine anyone who would not benefit from her words and her passion. Today I ordered an extra set for a dear friend far away. Magnificent!

5.0 out of 5 stars CD entertaining enough to be a comedy tape, good information!, January 7, 2014
I got the CD and listened to it with my spouse, who grumped about having to listen to a self-help tape on a long trip. But it was spouse who kept saying, "Wow!"

We both laughed at the way Dr. Brown delivered her information, and her humor, and illustrations of what she was talking about. She was easy to understand and gave a lot of "ah HA!" moments as you listened to what the research was showing.

A few of the ideas she put out were:
>We can only love someone else to the degree we love ourselves (then she goes on to show you how this is probably so, showing parents that the things that they are negative to in their children are actually things that they find hard to accept in themselves.
>She illustrate that many of us have gotten to the point where we do not want to be hurt so badly, that we decide not to embrace the joy that we could in our lives; because we might hurt to lose it...and so live un-actualized lives.
> She shows how we numb ourselves, using food, TV, internet, social networking and other ways; just as addicts use drugs or alcohol and is so frank and honest and blunt in all of her insight that you just feel washed of your own irritation at the idiots that confound our lives.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection, and., May 4, 2013
It's well-produced and basically informative, although she does not at all cover why people do not feel safe to be vulnerable. Many people have many very good reasons to hold people at arm's length, such as decades of abuse, neglect, and betrayal. How are these folks supposed to just stop doing what has kept them alive for so long? Such questions are not addressed. Perhaps they will be in another series.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!! A Must Have!, May 2, 2013
Introduced to Brene's work through the TED Talks and Daring Greatly Read-along podcasts, the is having started reading and studying The Gifts of Imperfection and Daring Greatly, this is definitely the ultimate compilation of her work.. The gift is really in the education that you can receive in such a fun, humorous, manner and really get to the data from her research at the same time. I think our country and our world is so desperately in need of this gift right now!

This expands so much on what I had heard previously and was able to connect from the various readings and ultimately, I think Brene's true gift is to make learning about tough topics so natural and comfortable while she draws you right in with her into her own stories. This gift of storytelling that can help others find their way to dig deep into their own "stuff" is extremely powerful. I have listened multiple times and I hear something new everytime, yet still entertained.

So I'd give it 10 stars if I could. Brene is a rock star in my book. So many of our "stories" were parallel that I already feel like I've known her most of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bren'e Brown's CD's, July 31, 2013
It was great listening to her while driving from here to there in my car. She makes some really good points using wonderful illustration within her personality and humor on how our past hurts and joys effect our interior in the present moment. Sometimes we just do not see ourselves from the day to day expression of who we are in all our relationships and in the understanding of ourselves. Brene's talks backed up by her research data are encouraging and challenging. They sort of position you to move forward and enable the work necessary for a good quality of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars listened to it TWICE already, January 26, 2013
karma police (los angeles, ca) - See all my reviews
Listening to Brené Brown speak feels like having a conversation with a good friend. This set is full of moments of laughter (nervous and otherwise) and a few tears, with a whole lot of discomfort in between. She delves deeply into the "S" word (shame that is) and really opened my eyes to some things I've been doing and feeling that need some work. I can honestly say if you are ready to take the first step in trying to figure this whole life thing out, Dr. Brown is a great teacher to get you going. I am grateful I bought this set - see I'm practicing! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, May 23, 2013
Brene Brown is a dynamic speaker with profound insight based on research.
She uses a humorous delivery to address the very real experience of shame.
This is very accessible to professional and non-professional audiences.

The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection and Courage