Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection and Courage
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 9, 2012
Thank you, Dr. Brown for presenting your research and teachings on "The Power of Vulnerability". I am deeply grateful. I write this review after only listening to five of the six CD's contained in the audio learning course! For those of you not familiar with Dr. Brown's research, I would strongly encourage you to watch her 'Ted talk' on "The Power of Vulnerability" AND "Listening to Shame."

In this voluminous audio learning six CD course, Dr. Brown (yes, it is actually Dr. Brown speaking), effectively and humorously weaves personal real life story into her research findings/teachings. Each CD takes on a subject, with eight to eleven sub topics under each subject. CD running times range each from 58 to 73 minutes.

The "Power of Vulnerability" will require deep introspect of oneself. It will make you examine your present known vulnerabilities, and for me, uncover one's I was not aware of. Are you ready for that? Are you looking to improve your emotional health? If yes, consider Dr. Brown's audio learning course a life-saving-altering-for-the-good investment.

Make no mistake; putting Dr. Brown's teachings into 'play' requires tremendous effort and self-discipline. It requires personal PRACTICE, practice that we can apply to our everyday lives. For me, it may require a life time of practice. But that's okay, because the "Power of Vulnerability" gave me hope that I can re-introduce joy into my life. For those of you under professional counseling, like me, this audio learning course may even move you further along with your cognitive based therapy. I know for me it will. Personally, I feel "The Power of Vulnerability" will give me a set of keys that will unlock those previously closed emotional doors of "authenticity," "connection," and "courage."
55 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
I got the CD and listened to it with my spouse, who grumped about having to listen to a self-help tape on a long trip. But it was spouse who kept saying, "Wow!"

We both laughed at the way Dr. Brown delivered her information, and her humor, and illustrations of what she was talking about. She was easy to understand and gave a lot of "ah HA!" moments as you listened to what the research was showing.

A few of the ideas she put out were:
>We can only love someone else to the degree we love ourselves (then she goes on to show you how this is probably so, showing parents that the things that they are negative to in their children are actually things that they find hard to accept in themselves.
>She illustrate that many of us have gotten to the point where we do not want to be hurt so badly, that we decide not to embrace the joy that we could in our lives; because we might hurt to lose it...and so live un-actualized lives.
> She shows how we numb ourselves, using food, TV, internet, social networking and other ways; just as addicts use drugs or alcohol and is so frank and honest and blunt in all of her insight that you just feel washed of your own irritation at the idiots that confound our lives.
on August 30, 2013
Brene Brown does a masterful job of telling her personal stories to add color to the research data that is presented in this delightful audiobook. One very important feature that is often overlooked in a review of audiobooks, is the quality of the recording and the quality of the narrator's delivery. In this case, both are top-notch. I often can only listen to a few minutes of gravely or nasal voices on a recording before I rip it out of the player and toss it in the circular file or send it back for a refund. This author is a pleasure to listen to. The producers have taken the time to balance the audio tracks so that the listener does not need to adjust the volume to accomodate for the roars of laughter from the live audience or the poignant whispers from the depths of the author's soul.
The live audience is totally engaged with the author and she does a good job of letting the listener know what is happening in the room visually. She engages just as her message advocates.... she lays it out there. No glossing over uncomfortable statistics or topics and no whitewashing of our behavioral miscues are employed. The ability to encourage people to absorb this attitude of vulnerability without sounding preachy or judgmental is truly a gift possessed by Ms. Brown.
To my total delight, the presentation of the audiobook was equally engaging to my 14 year old daughter who was often listening when she was a passenger in my car. That's right.... 14, the most critical age for all things audio.
We were ready to order more by this same author and were slightly disappointed to find that her previous audiobooks had professional narrators. We were sad that this audiobook had to end and are eagerly awaiting the next body of work by this author.
on February 14, 2013
First, I am so thankful Bren'e was willing to sit through hours and hours of recording sessions so that we the listener can hear her work in her voice. This collection of work captures so much of what Bren'e has worked on in her study of Shame and vulnerability. I will listen to these 6 CDs over and over again. As a marriage and family therapist I have incorporated what I have learned from this work into every hour of my professional life. It has radically improved the way I live and love.
on May 4, 2013
It's well-produced and basically informative, although she does not at all cover why people do not feel safe to be vulnerable. Many people have many very good reasons to hold people at arm's length, such as decades of abuse, neglect, and betrayal. How are these folks supposed to just stop doing what has kept them alive for so long? Such questions are not addressed. Perhaps they will be in another series.
on January 29, 2013
I'm halfway through these six CDs, listening in the car on my short commute to work. I have all of her books and the other 2-CD set from soundstrue. Have also seen both TED talks. She is a gem and a font of raw and wonderful wisdom. I cannot imagine anyone who would not benefit from her words and her passion. Today I ordered an extra set for a dear friend far away. Magnificent!
on January 26, 2013
Listening to Brené Brown speak feels like having a conversation with a good friend. This set is full of moments of laughter (nervous and otherwise) and a few tears, with a whole lot of discomfort in between. She delves deeply into the "S" word (shame that is) and really opened my eyes to some things I've been doing and feeling that need some work. I can honestly say if you are ready to take the first step in trying to figure this whole life thing out, Dr. Brown is a great teacher to get you going. I am grateful I bought this set - see I'm practicing! :)
on August 18, 2014
This was one of the greatest things I've ever listened to. I loved it so much, I bought it for several friends. My husband recommended it to me, and after I started listening to it, I would look for any excuse to put my headphones on to listen to it. I keep replaying it too, so I can really let her words and research sink in. I loved the way Brene made me laugh because there are definitely parts of this that will take you to some dark places and the comedy helps bring you right back out of it. It's amazing, and I think it would be beneficial for most people to listen to.
on July 31, 2013
It was great listening to her while driving from here to there in my car. She makes some really good points using wonderful illustration within her personality and humor on how our past hurts and joys affect our interior in the present moment. Sometimes we just do not see ourselves from the day to day expression of who we are in all our relationships and in the understanding of ourselves. Brene's talks backed up by her research data are encouraging and challenging. They sort of position you to move forward and enable the work necessary for a good quality of life.
on November 19, 2015
Pretty much the full works from Brene' Brown.
This series was taped in front of a live audience and WAY better (in my opinion) than the written versions of her books. Because she develops the material right from the beginning through the body of her work, it makes great sense, and she can build each session upon the preceding ones. She starts with her story, goes through the work on shame and vulnerability and finishes with whole hearted living. Dr Brown is awesome speaking with a group.

If you liked one of her TED talks, you'll love this.

This series of talks may change your life.
I hope so.